What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (2 Viewers)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I've looked at these kids and I've seen the rankings. Nowhere do I see Julio Jones ranked ahead of Green. I realize talent is a big component to NFL success. But it is not everything. Here you have a kid with some potential going to the Bungles. And a kid with some potential going to the Falcons.

Is the gap in talent so vast that Green+Gradkoski is greater than Jones+Ryan? Just from a stability standpoint you have to like the Falcons about 100 times more than the Bengals. They appear to place some type of priority on building a winning franchise. The Bengals? Not so much. They appear to be operating without a rudder.

I just don't see how AJ Green has a stronger career than Julio Jones. Obviously the Falcons traded a boatload of picks for Jones so they have a very high opinion of him. I think they gave up 5 picks to get him if I'm not mistaken. He was already inserted into the starting lineup. The Falcons saw what Green Bay's multiple receiving sets can do to a defense and they know they have to bring their passing game up to snuff if they want to compete with the Packers, Colts, Pats type of teams.

I think Jones has a better rookie season and is better at least through the expiration of their rookie contracts. After that, who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin Johnson went to the Lions of all teams, the horrible Lions..Fitz went to the horrible Cardinals, etc. good wrs can thrive in bad situations. Yes situation is certainly part of the equation but Green will likely be in the league for 10 years and a lot can change over that time.

you can't discount the "garbage time" factor. Atlanta should be ahead much more, so the tendency is to run the ball late while Cincy looks to be behind a lot so they will need to throw the ball a ton. more targets = more fantasy points (usually)

Calvin Johnson went to the Lions of all teams, the horrible Lions..Fitz went to the horrible Cardinals, etc. good wrs can thrive in bad situations. Yes situation is certainly part of the equation but Green will likely be in the league for 10 years and a lot can change over that time.
Let's be fair here. Fitz was good under a borderline HOF quarterback. With John Skelton...not so much.

Let's be fair here. Fitz was good under a borderline HOF quarterback. With John Skelton...not so much.
Warner didn't play like Warner in the early Card years and shared with Leinart and McCown. Regardless, the wr position probably more than any other can shine in a bad situation. Green going to the Bengals isn't the best spot for him but he will have a lot of garbage time, his team isn't going to be sitting on leads, etc. Also, consider that Jones will have to share with Roddy while Green will get a larger piece of the pie.

90/1137/6

90/1137/6
and that was about as horrible a QB situation that you're likely to see.

90/1137/6
No kidding. Steve Breaston was their best QB by rating with a 79. He was 14 pts above the next highest rating.

90/1137/6
No kidding. Steve Breaston was their best QB by rating with a 79. He was 14 pts above the next highest rating.
My MFL only shows weeks 1-16 however during that span Fitz was the 16th best in terms of fantasy points. Does anyone really think there at 15 better receivers than Fitz out there? I'm not trying to start a pissing match and anecdotal answers are good for discussion.

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.

90/1137/6
My MFL only shows weeks 1-16 however during that span Fitz was the 16th best in terms of fantasy points. Does anyone really think there at 15 better receivers than Fitz out there? I'm not trying to start a pissing match and anecdotal answers are good for discussion.
The idea that WRs cannot have good seasons on bad teams with bad QBs is wrong. They've been doing it since the dawn of time. But then since you think 90/1100/6 is not a good season, I don't know what you think is a good season. What is a good season to you? 100/1500/10? Not too many good seasons out there.

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.
I get a kick out of people who characterize Dalton as having a noodle arm. He comps well to Drew Brees when he came out of Purdue in 2001.

Yep. Plus, winning games consistently on the field and having a good front office is nowhere near the same thing as being in a good fantasy situation.Chad Johnson led the AFC in receiving yards 4 years in a row. TJ Houshmanzadeh led the league in catches a few years ago (119 I think). A broke down 36 year old Terrell Owens was a fantasy WR1 for most of last season. For all the Bengals faults, the franchise has still put its top WRs in position to have huge numbers.

While I like Julio Jones quite a bit, I really don't think he has near the raw talent that Green does. I think Green has top 5 potential (long-term). I can't say the same about Jones.

For me, I'll take the elite talent long-term every day of the week and it is clearly Green in my opinion.

I've looked at these kids and I've seen the rankings. Nowhere do I see Julio Jones ranked ahead of Green. I realize talent is a big component to NFL success. But it is not everything. Here you have a kid with some potential going to the Bungles. And a kid with some potential going to the Falcons.

Is the gap in talent so vast that Green+Gradkoski is greater than Jones+Ryan? Just from a stability standpoint you have to like the Falcons about 100 times more than the Bengals. They appear to place some type of priority on building a winning franchise. The Bengals? Not so much. They appear to be operating without a rudder.

I just don't see how AJ Green has a stronger career than Julio Jones. Obviously the Falcons traded a boatload of picks for Jones so they have a very high opinion of him. I think they gave up 5 picks to get him if I'm not mistaken. He was already inserted into the starting lineup. The Falcons saw what Green Bay's multiple receiving sets can do to a defense and they know they have to bring their passing game up to snuff if they want to compete with the Packers, Colts, Pats type of teams.

I think Jones has a better rookie season and is better at least through the expiration of their rookie contracts. After that, who knows?
Talent/skill vs production - two vastly different thingsJones might score more FF points this year than Green

Green is a much better receiver at this point and will likely have a better overall career

I get a kick out of people who characterize Dalton as having a noodle arm. He comps well to Drew Brees when he came out of Purdue in 2001.
Not to mention the fact that Dalton is a sharp, accurate passer and, in a WC offense, they're going to find every way to get Green the ball all over the field. I'm not particularly bullish on 2011. Cincy is in bad shape right now. But, the pieces are in place for this to work...really well...in a year or two.

The idea that WRs cannot have good seasons on bad teams with bad QBs is wrong. They've been doing it since the dawn of time. But then since you think 90/1100/6 is not a good season, I don't know what you think is a good season. What is a good season to you? 100/1500/10? Not too many good seasons out there.
This is not my argument at all. Go back and read my original post. I'm saying that things being relatively equal, the guy in the better situation should get an edge. The question is really then, whether or not Green's talent is significantly better than Jones' talent. I don't know that the gap is big, or even there at all.

Hopefully you're not counting on either for 2011. Hopefully you're not counting on any rookie for 2011. I don't if it's been mentioned on these boards, but no OTAs is going to put all the rookies way behind.

This is not my argument at all. Go back and read my original post. I'm saying that things being relatively equal, the guy in the better situation should get an edge. The question is really then, whether or not Green's talent is significantly better than Jones' talent. I don't know that the gap is big, or even there at all.
I've read your 4 posts in this thread. After reviewing them, I can't really tell what your point is. Maybe you could restate it.

I disagree that Jones is in a better situation to put up fantasy numbers.

While I like Julio Jones quite a bit, I really don't think he has near the raw talent that Green does. I think Green has top 5 potential (long-term). I can't say the same about Jones. For me, I'll take the elite talent long-term every day of the week and it is clearly Green in my opinion.
This is more the kind of responses I'm interested in. What Calvin Johnson did on the Lions and Fitzgerald did on the Cardinals is not really all that relevant. There are a million variables. I do know this. The best WR of all time also had two hall of fame Qbs for the majority of his career.

Is the talent gap very big even? I see ESPN gave Green a 97 rank whilst Jones got a 95. Doesn't seem like a huge gap to me.

That's great. Why?

That's great. Why?
Jones has to fight with one of the best wr's in the game for targets. AJ Green has to fight with...nobody significant.From a real life point of view, it's better to have multiple threats to defend against. For fantasy purposes, I'll take the guy who is the lone weapon and is force fed the football.

From a pure talent standpoint I do think the gap is fairly large between the two. Julio Jones is a good route-runner which I think will obviously do well for him in the NFL and he does have a better QB but as others have said Dalton is a sharp player, I hate what the Bengals did in Free Agency but we shall see how it works out. The only category I'd rank Jones ahead of Green in is blocking, he's a terrific blocker but that doesn't mean much for us in Fantasy Football.

Is the talent gap very big even? I see ESPN gave Green a 97 rank whilst Jones got a 95. Doesn't seem like a huge gap to me.
ESPN rankings, seriously? I wouldn't use anything that channel used for rankings. how to the NFL scouts, talent people rate them? most had jones going later then he did, ATL jumped to take him.I seem to remember people thinking charles rogers going to DET was better then AJ going to the texans. how did that one work out?I'm not sure there will be a huge gap between them. i think green has a chance to be a top 10 wr, maybe even top 5. jones to me is more around 15. (too many dropped passes and lack of concentration moments to be elite). he may work on this though.

That's great. Why?
Jones has to fight with one of the best wr's in the game for targets. AJ Green has to fight with...nobody significant.From a real life point of view, it's better to have multiple threats to defend against. For fantasy purposes, I'll take the guy who is the lone weapon and is force fed the football.
Green has to fight double coverage and Jones doesn't ;)

If they were both going to get the same number of targets I would certainly take the guy in single coverage. But the downside of double coverage is easily outweighed by the increase in targets. And if you believe Green really is going to live up to his draft status you should believe he's going to come down with a lot of catches even in double coverage.

If they were both going to get the same number of targets I would certainly take the guy in single coverage. But the downside of double coverage is easily outweighed by the increase in targets. And if you believe Green really is going to live up to his draft status you should believe he's going to come down with a lot of catches even in double coverage.
I would take Jones over Green straight up.

The Bengals also have enough talent at the WR and TE positions to help keep defenses guessing where the ball will be going, so I like Green's talent and situation. The next thing that I will be looking for in reports is to see if he has enough drive, desire, and work ethic to be truly a great NFL WR

I do like Jones as well, but there is a reason why Green is consistently selected ahead of Jones in most dynasty leagues.

That's great. Why?
Shipley, Simpson, and Gresham should be able to draw safeties and other nickel/dime backs so as to free Green up from continual double coverage.

Excluding or including their situations? Or either way?

Excluding or including their situations? Or either way?
Either way, but I'm a crazy SOB !! I've already taken Julio Jones over A J Green in a startup league this year, but later traded for Green.3.11 35. Soggy Bottom Brawlers Jones, Julio ATL WR ® Sun Mar 27 4:46:27 p.m. ET 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

3.12 36. Cobra Kai Green, A.J. CIN WR ® Sun Mar 27 5:29:11 p.m. ET 2011

I do know this. The best WR of all time also had two hall of fame Qbs for the majority of his career.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/jerry-rice-picks-a-j-green-over-julio-jones/“I would have to say A.J. Green because the guy, he makes plays,” Rice told Andrew Bogusch and Steve Philips of SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio. “He makes plays and he doesn’t drop the ball as much and that’s part of Jones, what he’s going to have to work on, Julio Jones, he’s going to have to work on catching the football.I like McShay's analysis: Jones ran faster, jumped further, and leaped higher than Green in Indianapolis, doing it all on a fractured foot but Green provides more explosiveness and big-play ability. … He’s just a better overall athlete.

Some people have held onto the delusion that Green is the better player for quite some time. Once the season starts it will quickly be obvious that Julio has the higher skillset. Give me Julio any day of the week. Throw in Matt Ryan vs........Dalton? No brainer.

'shader said:
Some people have held onto the delusion that Green is the better player for quite some time. Once the season starts it will quickly be obvious that Julio has the higher skillset. Give me Julio any day of the week. Throw in Matt Ryan vs........Dalton? No brainer.
Where do you see this? I'd really like to know. They faced similar competition in the SEC, Green had the worse QB, worst skill players around him and fought double teams the entire time but made a pretty average team competitive while he was in. I really don't see this point, watching both players it's clear Green is the better player. Julio drops too many balls.

I cant believe what I am hearing some people say, Green is hands down the Better WR!!! Too all the owners talking about Cin getting Double digits in the loss column GOOD, this will mean the Bengals can Draft Luck next year (Best QB to come out of college since P. Manning)!!! Luck+AJ= top5 WR for years to come!!! This year Jones has a higher floor than Green but as the 2nd or 3rd best option behind White and Gonzales he will see way less targets than Green!! Greens Ceiling is light years ahead of Jones as a WR1, Green could easily see twice the looks!!

redraft 2011 Jones>>>Green

Dynasty Green>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones

So if you want to play it safe it would be smart to take Jones in redraft first, but if you want to try for gold and win your league take Green with the high ceiling. Why just try to make the playoffs when you can aim for the super Bowl!!! Just saying!!

Ok, I am a fan of both players and currently have Green as dynasty rookie WR #1 with Jones as dynasty rookie WR # 2 but seeing things like this have me thinking that I won't disagree with anyone who wants to flop this order:

From twitter:

Chris Wesseling

NFLN's Mike Mayock on Julio Jones: "Maybe the most impressive player in #Falcons camp, more explosive off the ball than they thought."

I cant believe what I am hearing some people say, Green is hands down the Better WR!!! Too all the owners talking about Cin getting Double digits in the loss column GOOD, this will mean the Bengals can Draft Luck next year (Best QB to come out of college since P. Manning)!!! Luck+AJ= top5 WR for years to come!!! This year Jones has a higher floor than Green but as the 2nd or 3rd best option behind White and Gonzales he will see way less targets than Green!! Greens Ceiling is light years ahead of Jones as a WR1, Green could easily see twice the looks!!redraft 2011 Jones>>>Green Dynasty Green>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JonesSo if you want to play it safe it would be smart to take Jones in redraft first, but if you want to try for gold and win your league take Green with the high ceiling. Why just try to make the playoffs when you can aim for the super Bowl!!! Just saying!!
There is no quarantee that Cincy gets the suck for luck trophy.. yeah.. they are bad but.. You have matty ice in atl and an aging roddy white... within 3 years JJ is on his way to the #1 Wr role in atl.. within those same three years at best you have Luck in his second year learning the ropes of what life is like as an NFL QB..I have the second pick in my dynasty and Im hoping AJ goes #1...

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock -- who's live in Flowery Branch -- No. 6 overall pick Julio Jones "may already be the most impressive player" at Falcons training camp.

Mayock described Jones as "more explosive off the ball than they thought." There's no question that Jones is being counted on as the No. 2 passing game option in Atlanta, and it'd be especially beneficial to his fantasy value if the Falcons opened up their offense. Michael Turner is slowing down and coming off groin surgery, so it makes sense for the Falcons to throw more.

'Captain Hook said:
'Sabertooth said:

Talent/skill vs production - two vastly different thingsJones might score more FF points this year than Green

Green is a much better receiver at this point and will likely have a better overall career
Jones is drawing rave reviews. While Green may have some edge in raw athleticism, Jones seems to be the consummate pupil of the game and dedicated to learning the craft. Mayock is even talking about how Jones looks more explosive than expected."(Rotoworld) According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock -- who's live in Flowery Branch -- No. 6 overall pick Julio Jones "may already be the most impressive player" at Falcons training camp. Analysis: Mayock described Jones as 'more explosive off the ball than they thought.'"

Green may have an edge in certain athletic traits, but let's not pretend that Julio doesn't have an edge in some as well. And whatever edge either of them may hold in raw ability can be offset by the other's dedication, hard work and desire.

Ironic that Green's defenders are saying that he has an edge in raw ability which makes him the better pick while at the same time trying to explain/ignore away Dalton's lack of raw ability in some areas.

The difference in the careers of Julio Jones and A.J. Green will NOT come down to which is the better raw talent. That margin is too narrow. It will come down to things like professionalism, health, surrounding cast, intangibles...and plain ole luck. That's why Drew Brees is a top 5 QB while Jamarcus Russell is out of the league.

I cant believe what I am hearing some people say, Green is hands down the Better WR!!! Too all the owners talking about Cin getting Double digits in the loss column GOOD, this will mean the Bengals can Draft Luck next year (Best QB to come out of college since P. Manning)!!! Luck+AJ= top5 WR for years to come!!! This year Jones has a higher floor than Green but as the 2nd or 3rd best option behind White and Gonzales he will see way less targets than Green!! Greens Ceiling is light years ahead of Jones as a WR1, Green could easily see twice the looks!!redraft 2011 Jones>>>Green Dynasty Green>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JonesSo if you want to play it safe it would be smart to take Jones in redraft first, but if you want to try for gold and win your league take Green with the high ceiling. Why just try to make the playoffs when you can aim for the super Bowl!!! Just saying!!
Dude, think about a faster T.O. without the mental instability.That's what Julio Jones is in my mind.Green is light years ahead? No way.

'Captain Hook said:
'Sabertooth said:

Jones is drawing rave reviews. While Green may have some edge in raw athleticism, Jones seems to be the consummate pupil of the game and dedicated to learning the craft. Mayock is even talking about how Jones looks more explosive than expected."(Rotoworld) According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock -- who's live in Flowery Branch -- No. 6 overall pick Julio Jones "may already be the most impressive player" at Falcons training camp. Analysis: Mayock described Jones as 'more explosive off the ball than they thought.'"

Green may have an edge in certain athletic traits, but let's not pretend that Julio doesn't have an edge in some as well. And whatever edge either of them may hold in raw ability can be offset by the other's dedication, hard work and desire.

Ironic that Green's defenders are saying that he has an edge in raw ability which makes him the better pick while at the same time trying to explain/ignore away Dalton's lack of raw ability in some areas.

The difference in the careers of Julio Jones and A.J. Green will NOT come down to which is the better raw talent. That margin is too narrow. It will come down to things like professionalism, health, surrounding cast, intangibles...and plain ole luck. That's why Drew Brees is a top 5 QB while Jamarcus Russell is out of the league.
Jones is the better raw athlete. Simply look at his pedigree. He was the #1 player coming out of high school and thrashed the NFL combine despite an injured foot. He simply hasn't translated his raw athleticism to WR as well as Green. Based on that, I'd lean in the direction of Green being the better "student of the game." Most of what I've seen and read about Green would back that up. He is remarkably dedicated and has terrific work ethic. This isn't to say that Jones doesn't. I just haven't heard it mentioned. Maybe he will become more of a "student of the game" now that he is in the NFL. I think both will turn into very good players at the NFL level and both will become true NFL WR1's. The only real debate for me is if they become great. I think Green has a better chance at being great, not just very good.

'shader said:
Where do you see this? I'd really like to know. They faced similar competition in the SEC, Green had the worse QB, worst skill players around him and fought double teams the entire time but made a pretty average team competitive while he was in. I really don't see this point, watching both players it's clear Green is the better player. Julio drops too many balls.
Green had the better QB last year. And Julio's reputation for dropping balls was built in his Fresh and Soph years....and was more of a concentration issue than bad hands. He was focused his junior year and it showed in a major way.Patrick Peterson said he's take Jones of the two, by the way.

'shader said:
Green had the better QB last year. And Julio's reputation for dropping balls was built in his Fresh and Soph years....and was more of a concentration issue than bad hands. He was focused his junior year and it showed in a major way.Patrick Peterson said he's take Jones of the two, by the way.
Peterson didn't even play against Green last year. Both guys did a nice job of posting numbers against LSU in their careers.Jones: 3 games, 21 receptions, 319 yds, 2 tds.Green: 2 games, 8 receptions, 188 yds, 2 tds.I broke down the LSU/Alabama game last year and almost all of Jones damage was done vs. other guys not named Peterson, by the way. He did score that nice late TD against him... then again Green did the same thing 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread