What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

'zed2283 said:
Ok, ok... no, I'm not a Green hater. I'm a Green owner. Maybe that's why I'm more critical because I think he would have had a chance to score if he'd hadn't stopped running. He should have kept running, out-jumped the defender for the ball, defender falls down, Green walks into the end zone. It happens every week.
Watch it again. Green had inside position and was looking over his left shoulder. The ball was slightly underthrown and to the outside. It was a great adjustment to make the catch.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. You could be right. He might not have had time to do much else.

'zed2283 said:
Ok, ok... no, I'm not a Green hater. I'm a Green owner. Maybe that's why I'm more critical because I think he would have had a chance to score if he'd hadn't stopped running. He should have kept running, out-jumped the defender for the ball, defender falls down, Green walks into the end zone. It happens every week.
Watch it again. Green had inside position and was looking over his left shoulder. The ball was slightly underthrown and to the outside. It was a great adjustment to make the catch.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. You could be right. He might not have had time to do much else.
He's definitely right and you are wrong. The ball was underthrown and AJG had a step on the defender. If it's laid out where he's hit in stride, it's a TD. No question.FWIW, I was at the game. Green could've had 3 TDs. In the 1st quarter, he had a go route down the right sideline where he had two steps on the DB and Dalton overthrew him about 4 yards. Would've been a 40+ TD.Then he had an endzone look, where he had the defender beat on a fade pattern from about 15 yards out and Dalton threw it too high as it went just off Green's fingertips (pretty hard to do).On the 3rd possible TD, from around the 20, Green put a double move out of the right slot, where he faked a corner post and cut back on a post to the middle. Was WIDE OPEN. No defender within 5 yards and Dalton threw to Gresham for the TD.That's another thing I noticed with AJ. They line him up EVERYWHERE. He played a good deal out of the slot too. He is absolutely special and every deep ball you expect him to come down with. I counted 6 end zone targets. There was even a Dalton boot leg designed strictly as corner route in the endzone for AJ. He was double covered and Dalton went elsewhere. Pretty fun to watch. I've said this before. The only thing that will hold him back is Dalton's development. When Dalton finally gets his accuracy up on his deep balls to AJ, he's gonna be a perennial 10+ TD guy. I feel very strongly about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Thanks for your most awesome insight.
Update...AJ Green: 24/402/3 on 42 targets. 16.8 yards per reception. 1 to 8 TD/Rec ratio. Julio Jones: 25/358/0 on 42 targets. 14.3 yards per reception. 0 to ∞ TD/Rec ratio. :P

Green on pace for 77 receptions, 1286 yds and 9.6 TDs

Jones on pace for 80 receptions, 1145 tds and 0 TDs... the TDs should come though.

Both guys are having spectacular rookie seasons so far.

Green on pace for 77 receptions, 1286 yds and 9.6 TDsJones on pace for 80 receptions, 1145 tds and 0 TDs... the TDs should come though.Both guys are having spectacular rookie seasons so far.
Right, but the point is AJG is spectacularer.

Green on pace for 77 receptions, 1286 yds and 9.6 TDsJones on pace for 80 receptions, 1145 tds and 0 TDs... the TDs should come though.Both guys are having spectacular rookie seasons so far.
Not really. The only real separation is TDs. Jones will get his. I still think Green will finish with a better season but it will be close.

Not really. The only real separation is TDs. Jones will get his. I still think Green will finish with a better season but it will be close.
I'm speaking of what I see, not the stats. Julio's really a nice receiver. Not on AJG's level, tho.

I'm speaking of what I see, not the stats. Julio's really a nice receiver. Not on AJG's level, tho.
Ahhh, sorry misunderstood you. I agree, Green is the better player and best WRs to come out in years. Still, both guys are going to be elite players.

agreed . . . Is Jones ok?? didn't he leave last night's game early???

Ahhh, sorry misunderstood you. I agree, Green is the better player and best WRs to come out in years. Still, both guys are going to be elite players.
I think Jones will be very good, but IMO he will not be elite . . .

AJ Green is on pace for a very special rookie season, probably second only to Randy Moss' first year when the dust settles.

Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Thanks for your most awesome insight.
Status update:AJ Green: 516 yards and 5 TD'sJulio Jones: 358 yards and 0 TD's
The SP used to be a place where this would recognized as the drivel that it is. AJ Green is having an excellent season. The same could be said for Julio prior to his injury.

It's funny how people are quick to knock a guy when injured because that's the only thing that has held him back. And I own both players, Julio Jones is a monster and on par with AJ when playing. It's nice owning both in dynasty but frustrating waiting on JJ with this hammy.

AJ is a better receiver with better talent - the injury has nothing to do with it.
Ill debate that unless you have facts to back this up. I have been around a while and I heard the same crap about andre johnson and charles rogers. I think both AJ and JJ are top 10 dynasty guys, however I think it's foolish to come into a thread and spread opinions on a guy that is hurt.Great you think AJ is better, just dont knock on a guy who was putting on a show til injury. Judging players off a rookie year seems foolish myself but to each their own.

AJ is a better receiver with better talent - the injury has nothing to do with it.
Ill debate that unless you have facts to back this up. I have been around a while and I heard the same crap about andre johnson and charles rogers. I think both AJ and JJ are top 10 dynasty guys, however I think it's foolish to come into a thread and spread opinions on a guy that is hurt.Great you think AJ is better, just dont knock on a guy who was putting on a show til injury. Judging players off a rookie year seems foolish myself but to each their own.
is this for real? this thread is many pages long, and this topic has been hashed and rehashed. There are several reputable resources that say Green is better - and nothing in the first five games has swayed my opinion any . . .

we can agree to disagree. No biggie.

It's funny how people are quick to knock a guy when injured because that's the only thing that has held him back. And I own both players, Julio Jones is a monster and on par with AJ when playing. It's nice owning both in dynasty but frustrating waiting on JJ with this hammy.
Nobody is knocking him. Far from it. AJG is a transcendent talent, though. Julio just isn't in his class. Excellent receiver though. I like him a lot.

if green had a real qb his numbers would be staggering. dalton misses him on big plays around twice a game. his deep ball is just not worthwhile.

Injuries are all part of it. Julio is tightly wound and prone to injury. AJ crushed him and stepped on his throat in the rookie WR battle....it happens.

Nobody is knocking him. Far from it. AJG is a transcendent talent, though. Julio just isn't in his class. Excellent receiver though. I like him a lot.
A few fun facts about the latest "transcendent talent." AJ Green's first 7 games as a pro: 33/516/5. TB Mike Williams first 7 games as a pro. 32/470/4.The Bengals have played 5 of their 7 games vs teams in the bottom 1/3 vs the pass. Cleveland is rated #2 vs the pass, and shut out Green with the exception of one play where they were still in the huddle. Green scored a 41 yard TD on that play. Green had a nice day, 5/90/1 vs Jacksonville's 6th rated pass D. Looking ahead, the Bengals play Tennessee's 15th ranked pass d next week, then they get the gauntlet of Pitt, Balt, Clev, Pitt, Hou. All those teams sport top 10 defenses vs the pass. As I've stated many times in this thread, I think AJ Green is looking like he's going to be a good player. I think its very premature to say he's a "transcendent talent" or even that he's better than Julio Jones. One of my favorite football quotes is from Jim Mora. "You think you know, but you just don't know." I think that applies to everyone here.

sounds like sour grapes coming from a team you just torched but

Seahawks CB Richard Sherman, who covered A.J. Green in Week 8, said Green is arguably one of the league's most overrated receivers. "I would say he's probably one of the most overrated receivers out there," Sherman said. "He wasn't anything special. (Andy) Dalton was a good quarterback. He makes good decisions, but A.J. Green is just a lot of noise talking and bad routes."

sounds like sour grapes coming from a team you just got torched by but

Seahawks CB Richard Sherman, who covered A.J. Green in Week 8, said Green is arguably one of the league's most overrated receivers. "I would say he's probably one of the most overrated receivers out there," Sherman said. "He wasn't anything special. (Andy) Dalton was a good quarterback. He makes good decisions, but A.J. Green is just a lot of noise talking and bad routes."
Minor fixand that's exactly what it is. Green is going to be very good. So is Jones.

Even if he's right (I doubt it), why on earth would you open your mouth and say something like that? Just makes you look like a tool.

AJ Green is on pace to score 184 points this year in non-PPR leagues. According to the FBG data dominator, that's the 5th best season by a rookie WR since 1960. I feel like he's getting an unusually low level of attention.

Even if he's right (I doubt it), why on earth would you open your mouth and say something like that? Just makes you look like a tool.
Even if Sherman is correct, he looks like a sore loser for spouting off. The best thing to do after getting beaten in a game is to talk about the next game. You do not bring attention to the game that you just lost. Maybe Sherman is trying to get some attention since most folks pay little attention to the Seahawks. Green and Jones both look like promising rookies. Green has his health and is the WR1 on his team in his favor. Jones has a better QB in his favor. I would be happy to own either in dynasty leagues.

'The Comedian said:
AJ Green is on pace to score 184 points this year in non-PPR leagues. According to the FBG data dominator, that's the 5th best season by a rookie WR since 1960. I feel like he's getting an unusually low level of attention.
saying it's "the small market" is the obvious and wrong answer (ocho). I think it's 1) his personality (seems humble)2) no major wins yet and no wins on primetime TV i like his ability to get behind defenders for the long play.

Imagine if Green had a good QB. He's gonna be terrific. Hell, he's already top 10 in my leagues as a rook.

Imagine if Green had a good QB. He's gonna be terrific. Hell, he's already top 10 in my leagues as a rook.
He kinda does have a good QB. Dalton's making plenty of mistakes but as a rookie he's having a very good season. These two could be a force for years to come.

Just traded for Green. What do you guys think his value is going forward? I am thinking 1000+ yds and 8-9 tds is completely attainable.

Just traded for Green. What do you guys think his value is going forward? I am thinking 1000+ yds and 8-9 tds is completely attainable.
Not only is that attainable but I think thats pretty much a given. He already has 5 tds through 7 games.

What does everyone think AJ Green's long term value/ceiling is? Are we talking about a perennial top 3 WR in another couple of years? Could he be in the mold of an Andre Johnson type?

Users who are viewing this thread