What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

I love sifting through this thread reading all the negative fallacies about Julio Jones WHILE HE WAS INJURED, why do people continue to make themselves look absolutely idiotic sometimes is beyond me.

I LOVE AJ GREEN and I LOVE JULIO JONES, to say either one is better then the other at this point in their career is a blindfolded opinion, clearly BOTH are top 5 dynasty WR prospects and its not even a stretch saying that at this point.

I thought he could have scored on that last catch if he slowed up and cut in. But that's just nitpicking. Kid is the real deal.

he said after the game he coulda scored but didnt want to risk injury esp to his dinged knee. regardless, from a win equity perspective, not scoring was better bc it allowed the bengals to run out the clock before the gimme fg.

I wouldnt knock Jones but the injury weeks have been hard. Similar to the Denarius Moore frustration.

It is just unbelievable how Green not only caught the ball but adjusted to land on his feet and continue on the run. I agree he could have scored with a dive but the injury risk isnt worth it.

He looks like a gazelle out there! So long and graceful on his plays.

What does everyone think AJ Green's long term value/ceiling is? Are we talking about a perennial top 3 WR in another couple of years? Could he be in the mold of an Andre Johnson type?
To me it's pretty simple and always has been. Green will be a top 3 WR in the NFL within a few year barring injury. He will remain as such for a long time. In fantasy, he will comfortably be a WR1 next year and beyond. With the right QB he could be the best WR in fantasy. He's that good. Enjoy the ride Green owners. :thumbup:

At this point, Green has had the more impressive season, but you could argue that injuries have derailed Julio's chances.

Julio has been unbelievably impressive in a few games, but is on a team where he isn't the top dog and a team that likes to run, run, run.

In the long run I think these two are equally talented. Total studs. If I had known Dalton would be this good, I would have ranked Green ahead of Julio in dynasty. I just thought Dalton would stink and was totally wrong there.

At this point, Green has had the more impressive season, but you could argue that injuries have derailed Julio's chances. Julio has been unbelievably impressive in a few games, but is on a team where he isn't the top dog and a team that likes to run, run, run.In the long run I think these two are equally talented. Total studs. If I had known Dalton would be this good, I would have ranked Green ahead of Julio in dynasty. I just thought Dalton would stink and was totally wrong there.
It's obvious Jones was your guy from the start since you're now giving excuses for Jones. I thought you said Julio had the better skillset and when you add in Matt Ryan it wasn't close. Now you say Julio isn't the top dog and Atlanta likes to run....those sound like excuses to me from a Julio apologist.Green has made Dalton look really good. Green is doing this alone in Cincy while Julio has Roddy, Gonzalez, and a strong running game which means the D isn't paying all that much attention to him. I agree that Julio has dealt with some injury issues but based on his situation, AJ Green has been the better of the two. Extremely impressive what that kid has accomplished this year.

Green has made Dalton look really good. Green is doing this alone in Cincy while Julio has Roddy, Gonzalez, and a strong running game which means the D isn't paying all that much attention to him.
I agree. Green is making Dalton into a much better QB than he really is right now. The truth of the matter is that Green could be posting almost Randy Moss like rookie numbers if Dalton wouldn't under throw him in EVERY freaking deep ball. I like Jones, always have. But Green is clearly the more talented player in my mind. I felt that way from their college body of work and this season has only solidified that more for me.

Green for Rookie of the year.

'jurb26 said:
What does everyone think AJ Green's long term value/ceiling is? Are we talking about a perennial top 3 WR in another couple of years? Could he be in the mold of an Andre Johnson type?
To me it's pretty simple and always has been. Green will be a top 3 WR in the NFL within a few year barring injury. He will remain as such for a long time. In fantasy, he will comfortably be a WR1 next year and beyond. With the right QB he could be the best WR in fantasy. He's that good. Enjoy the ride Green owners. :thumbup:
I second this.Now we just need to convince Gruden to feature him more prominently. Kid should be seeing double digit targets on a weekly basis.

Julio has been unbelievably impressive in a few games, but is on a team where he isn't the top dog and a team that likes to run, run, run.
Atl has run the ball 29.1 times per game this season. Cinci has run the ball 28.4 times per game this season.Atl has passed the ball 35.9 times per game this season. Cinci has passed the ball 34.2 times per game this season.Targets per game; Green 7.1, Jones 6.4.I'm not sure the stats really indicate this.

Green has made Dalton look really good. Green is doing this alone in Cincy while Julio has Roddy, Gonzalez, and a strong running game which means the D isn't paying all that much attention to him.
I agree. Green is making Dalton into a much better QB than he really is right now. The truth of the matter is that Green could be posting almost Randy Moss like rookie numbers if Dalton wouldn't under throw him in EVERY freaking deep ball. I like Jones, always have. But Green is clearly the more talented player in my mind. I felt that way from their college body of work and this season has only solidified that more for me.

Green for Rookie of the year.
Another week gone by and another AJ TD that could have been had Dalton been able to throw the deep ball. :kicksrock:

Atl has run the ball 29.1 times per game this season. Cinci has run the ball 28.4 times per game this season.Atl has passed the ball 35.9 times per game this season. Cinci has passed the ball 34.2 times per game this season.Targets per game; Green 7.1, Jones 6.4.I'm not sure the stats really indicate this.
People grasping at straws at this point.

way too early to say. both guys have #1 WR in the league type potential. We'll see how it plays out.

way too early to say. both guys have #1 WR in the league type potential. We'll see how it plays out.
No, it's not too early. AJG >>>>>> JJJJ pretty sweet receiver, though. Just not AJG great. Now. Ever.
I was as high as anyone could have possibly been on Green coming into the league and he's even surpassing my expectations. Pretty remarkable. It's just amazing how easy he makes everything look. I don't know that I've ever seen a young WR have the ability to consistently high point the ball like him.

No, it's not too early. AJG >>>>>> JJJJ pretty sweet receiver, though. Just not AJG great. Now. Ever.
I was as high as anyone could have possibly been on Green coming into the league and he's even surpassing my expectations. Pretty remarkable. It's just amazing how easy he makes everything look. I don't know that I've ever seen a young WR have the ability to consistently high point the ball like him.
and it doesn't seem like he drops anything, regardless of how difficult the catch is. His hands are like glue and he catches the ball effortlessly.

Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Thanks for your most awesome insight.
Status update:AJ Green: 50/832/7. 76 receiving yards per game.Julio Jones: 34/566/2. 63 receiving yards per game.
AJ Green 63/1031/7 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.Julio Jones 50/883/6. 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.Julio's numbers are brought down by three incomplete games for him as well. He didn't finish games vs GB, NO and was clearly not back to full health vs Minny when he didn't record one catch. I'm not saying that Julio > Green. I just think they are both fantastic WRs, and anyone that says one is far superior than the other is living in fantasy land. Julio = TO with more speed and less drama.Green = Moss with less speed and less drama.Now that they have a body of work to look at, I don't think its out of the question to rate them both in the top 5 or so dynasty WRs. I'd rather have Calvin, Jennings and Fitz. I think you could debate the positioning of the next handful of guys that include Wallace, Bryant, Nicks, Jones and Green.

Roddy White gets more targets than any receiver in the league, and the Falcons run the ball alot. I don't see how my statement was inaccurate. I never said Benson the Bengals don't run the ball.

Status update:AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Status update:AJ Green: 50/832/7. 76 receiving yards per game.Julio Jones: 34/566/2. 63 receiving yards per game.
AJ Green 63/1031/7 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.Julio Jones 50/883/6. 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.Julio's numbers are brought down by three incomplete games for him as well. He didn't finish games vs GB, NO and was clearly not back to full health vs Minny when he didn't record one catch. I'm not saying that Julio > Green. I just think they are both fantastic WRs, and anyone that says one is far superior than the other is living in fantasy land. Julio = TO with more speed and less drama.Green = Moss with less speed and less drama.Now that they have a body of work to look at, I don't think its out of the question to rate them both in the top 5 or so dynasty WRs. I'd rather have Calvin, Jennings and Fitz. I think you could debate the positioning of the next handful of guys that include Wallace, Bryant, Nicks, Jones and Green.
Julio is a beast. Another big week 17 and Julio will get 1,000 yards which is ridiculous.I don't mind if people think that Green is better. But to say it's not close is just ridiculous. The TO/Moss comparisons are great. These two wr's are both top 5 wr's for years to come.In my opinion, Nicks and Dez have both been passed easily. In fact, in startup dynasties, I think the only wr I'd take ahead of Green and Julio is Calvin Johnson. That's pretty amazing for two rookies.

At this point, Green has had the more impressive season, but you could argue that injuries have derailed Julio's chances. Julio has been unbelievably impressive in a few games, but is on a team where he isn't the top dog and a team that likes to run, run, run.In the long run I think these two are equally talented. Total studs. If I had known Dalton would be this good, I would have ranked Green ahead of Julio in dynasty. I just thought Dalton would stink and was totally wrong there.
It's obvious Jones was your guy from the start since you're now giving excuses for Jones. I thought you said Julio had the better skillset and when you add in Matt Ryan it wasn't close. Now you say Julio isn't the top dog and Atlanta likes to run....those sound like excuses to me from a Julio apologist.Green has made Dalton look really good. Green is doing this alone in Cincy while Julio has Roddy, Gonzalez, and a strong running game which means the D isn't paying all that much attention to him. I agree that Julio has dealt with some injury issues but based on his situation, AJ Green has been the better of the two. Extremely impressive what that kid has accomplished this year.
Sorry I missed this post a month ago or so. I've never given any excuses for Julio. I happen to think he will be the better wr and I still think that. Green will have slightly better stats this season. Julio had hamstring problems mid-season and still might put up 1,000 yards in his rookie season. If he does, get 1000 yards in basically 12 games, that is amazing in itself.Which takes nothing away from Green either, as he has been dynamite. Can't go wrong with either guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status update:

AJ Green: 15/194/2 on 23 targets. 12.9 yards per reception.

Julio Jones: 13/215/0 on 20 targets. 16.5 yards per reception.

Anybody still think Green finishes 400 yards and 4 TDs ahead of Julio?
Yes.
Status update:AJ Green: 50/832/7. 76 receiving yards per game.

Julio Jones: 34/566/2. 63 receiving yards per game.
AJ Green 63/1031/7 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.

Julio Jones 50/883/6. 73.6 yards/game. .5 TDs / game.

Julio's numbers are brought down by three incomplete games for him as well. He didn't finish games vs GB, NO and was clearly not back to full health vs Minny when he didn't record one catch.

I'm not saying that Julio > Green. I just think they are both fantastic WRs, and anyone that says one is far superior than the other is living in fantasy land.

Julio = TO with more speed and less drama.

Green = Moss with less speed and less drama.

Now that they have a body of work to look at, I don't think its out of the question to rate them both in the top 5 or so dynasty WRs. I'd rather have Calvin, Jennings and Fitz. I think you could debate the positioning of the next handful of guys that include Wallace, Bryant, Nicks, Jones and Green.
Julio is a beast. Another big week 17 and Julio will get 1,000 yards which is ridiculous.I don't mind if people think that Green is better. But to say it's not close is just ridiculous.

The TO/Moss comparisons are great. These two wr's are both top 5 wr's for years to come.

In my opinion, Nicks and Dez have both been passed easily.

In fact, in startup dynasties, I think the only wr I'd take ahead of Green and Julio is Calvin Johnson. That's pretty amazing for two rookies.
I agree here as well. Nicks is an excellent WR, but he's just really struggled to stay healthy. I'm just not sure that Dez has the mental fortitude to make himself great. As for a startup, I'd still lean toward taking Calvin, Jennings and Fitz ahead of Green and Jones. Jennings and Fitz are just so consistently good its hard to rate anybody ahead of them.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Greg Jennings

4. AJ Green

5. Julio Jones

6. Mike Wallace

7. Hakeem Nicks

8. Dez Bryant

was hoping julio would remain undervalued going into next season. his recent performances may prevent that. still, id prefer julio next season as he will come cheaper.

What about Welker?
He'll be 31 soon. He could be great for a few more seasons or he could just lose a step or two and be ordinary. It happens quickly in the NFL. Having said that he's in the next group after those 8 guys. Fitz is the oldest on that top 8 list, and he'll be 29 next season.

Can't go wrong with either guy, both are studs. AJ Green is more lean and Julio looks more physical. In measurables Julio did put up a better 40 time (4.38 vs 4.48) and higher vertical jump (38.5" vs 34.5"). YAC - Julio 17.7, AJ Green - 16.4, if Julio was healthy all season he would've put up some great numbers.

Status update:

Yes.

Julio's numbers are brought down by three incomplete games for him as well. He didn't finish games vs GB, NO and was clearly not back to full health vs Minny when he didn't record one catch.

I'm not saying that Julio > Green. I just think they are both fantastic WRs, and anyone that says one is far superior than the other is living in fantasy land.

Now that they have a body of work to look at, I don't think its out of the question to rate them both in the top 5 or so dynasty WRs. I'd rather have Calvin, Jennings and Fitz. I think you could debate the positioning of the next handful of guys that include Wallace, Bryant, Nicks, Jones and Green.
Julio is a beast. Another big week 17 and Julio will get 1,000 yards which is ridiculous.I don't mind if people think that Green is better. But to say it's not close is just ridiculous.

The TO/Moss comparisons are great. These two wr's are both top 5 wr's for years to come.

In fact, in startup dynasties, I think the only wr I'd take ahead of Green and Julio is Calvin Johnson. That's pretty amazing for two rookies.
I agree here as well. Nicks is an excellent WR, but he's just really struggled to stay healthy. I'm just not sure that Dez has the mental fortitude to make himself great. As for a startup, I'd still lean toward taking Calvin, Jennings and Fitz ahead of Green and Jones. Jennings and Fitz are just so consistently good its hard to rate anybody ahead of them.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Greg Jennings

4. AJ Green

5. Julio Jones

6. Mike Wallace

7. Hakeem Nicks

8. Dez Bryant
I have Cruz about Nicks :)

Status update:

Yes.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Greg Jennings

4. AJ Green

5. Julio Jones

6. Mike Wallace

7. Hakeem Nicks

8. Dez Bryant
Cruz is a great example of a guy that will be held back due to pedigree. He's going to put up 1400 yards and possibly 1500 if he has a big game Sunday. He basically didn't play week 1, so this was all in 14 weeks. He's been an animal this season and is 25 years old. He should be a stud for years. But he'll get passed over by a lot of other guys this off-season due to "one-year wonder" worries.

Sorry I missed this post a month ago or so. I've never given any excuses for Julio. I happen to think he will be the better wr and I still think that. Green will have slightly better stats this season. Julio had hamstring problems mid-season and still might put up 1,000 yards in his rookie season. If he does, get 1000 yards in basically 12 games, that is amazing in itself.

Which takes nothing away from Green either, as he has been dynamite. Can't go wrong with either guy.
I'm in this camp as well.I prefer Green for sure, but can understand if someone leans toward JJones.

The Julio owner in my keeper league won't trade him for anything less than a king's ransom.

The consistency that Green has shown as a rookie (with a rookie QB to boot) is incredible. After Megatron, I'd consider Green in the #2 keeper WR discussion with Fitzgerald.

I think its definitely a possibility that both of these guys are future top 5 WRs in the league. They have been elite in every football situation since high school and they are doing it in there rookie years also, crazy to think that the next generations two of the three(behind Calvin) best WRs are both in the same draft class. I think you have to officially put Dez behind both Green and Jones based on the results on the field, people waiting on Bryant to get focused and actually access his talent could be waiting quite a while, not even to mention its possible both Jones are more naturally talented to begin with.

Status update:

Yes.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Larry Fitzgerald

3. Greg Jennings

4. AJ Green

5. Julio Jones

6. Mike Wallace

7. Hakeem Nicks

8. Dez Bryant
Cruz is a great example of a guy that will be held back due to pedigree. He's going to put up 1400 yards and possibly 1500 if he has a big game Sunday. He basically didn't play week 1, so this was all in 14 weeks. He's been an animal this season and is 25 years old. He should be a stud for years. But he'll get passed over by a lot of other guys this off-season due to "one-year wonder" worries.
No doubt he is having an awesome season... but he's more of a top guy just not elite... he doesn't have the measurable and elite skill that a Calvin/Fitz/AJ/Julio/Dez have to be considered a long term dynasty guy over any of the above... its not a knock against him but unless you were a die-hard Cruz fan i cant see anyone ranking him over those guys. He may be 25 but hes still 3 yrs older then those rookies/Dez... just food for thought. :popcorn:

'Sabertooth said:
I drafted Ingram over both these guys. Last time I go with the conventional wisdom.
As I did but completely lucked out when I was offered Mathews and Julio for AJ before the hammy issue. Not sure what he was thinking. :pickle: Tried to flip Mathews for Green while Mathews was hot early to get the rookie trifecta but the Green owner didn't bite. :sadbanana:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Sabertooth said:
I drafted Ingram over both these guys. Last time I go with the conventional wisdom.
In a league where I had the number 2 and 3 pick Ingram went #1. I was kinda disappointed at the time. So happy now

Yes.
Status update:AJ Green: 516 yards and 5 TD'sJulio Jones: 358 yards and 0 TD's
:own3d:
Final numbers.AJ Green 65/1057/7. 70.46 yards/game. .46 TDs/game.Julio Jones 54/959/8. 73.76 yards/game .61 TDs/game.Plenty of ignorant statements littered in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread