What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hometown Bias (1 Viewer)

VikingFrog

Footballguy
Anyone else experience hometown bias that screws with their draft.

I'm a Vikings fan living in fort worth Texas and practically everyone in my draft is either originally from Houston or Dallas.

Last year I had foster as a sleeper, but he flew off the board (3rd round???) because Houston fans were high on him. This was after Schaub went in the early 2nd to another Houston fan.

Our 12 man league is about 1/3 sharks. 1/3 football fans who know what they are talking about and pay attention, and 1/3 guys who aren't really with it when it comes to fantasy (bankroll).

I'd love to think that Romo could fall to me in the 5th or later after a solid start to a draft, but don't see it happening with the home town crowd.

I guess the good news is that someone could take Romo and higher rated qb could fall to round five.

Anyone else deal with this hometown bias on a regular basis.

I tend to throw all bias out the window when drafting, but also haven't had a high enough pick to take Peterson in any recent drafts, so it doesn't really matter as a Vikings fan.

Anyone else experience hometown bias that screws with their draft.I'm a Vikings fan living in fort worth Texas and practically everyone in my draft is either originally from Houston or Dallas.Last year I had foster as a sleeper, but he flew off the board (3rd round???) because Houston fans were high on him. This was after Schaub went in the early 2nd to another Houston fan.Our 12 man league is about 1/3 sharks. 1/3 football fans who know what they are talking about and pay attention, and 1/3 guys who aren't really with it when it comes to fantasy (bankroll).I'd love to think that Romo could fall to me in the 5th or later after a solid start to a draft, but don't see it happening with the home town crowd. I guess the good news is that someone could take Romo and higher rated qb could fall to round five.Anyone else deal with this hometown bias on a regular basis. I tend to throw all bias out the window when drafting, but also haven't had a high enough pick to take Peterson in any recent drafts, so it doesn't really matter as a Vikings fan.
Don't feel bad...Foster went mid-fourth in my draft and I would have had to draft him 26th overall if I wanted a shot at him...and we are in Florida.

yes, in my one homer league it is heavily biased towards steelers and against ravens. I might get ray rice at the tail end of the first round for example. big ben will go in round 2; it wouldn't surprise me to see wallace in round 1. solid draft other than that stuff. it continues all throughout the draft. Redman will probably get drafted, possibly even moore, and all the possible wr's will be drafted incluing limas sweed. We only have 15 roster spots. I love scooping up the value late in the draft. I often draft a defense and/or a kicker earlier than usual because I know I can steal value at the other positions late. They wonder why I am in the title hunt every year. :mellow:

Used to happen many years ago. Guys would draft a lot of eagles higher than they should. One guy is a pats fan and he would for years draft guys like branch or wesker (non ppr) in the 3rd rounds. Guys have learned though, myself included, over the years that being a homer doesnt win you titles. We have 10 pretty good guys now who get it.

I have the same problem of bias in Dallas....In my draft looking at ADP when it comes to Cowboys is impossible. Romo and Austin will go in the 2nd....heck maybe even Dez and Witten.

The other problem I have is that my league way over-values QB's to the point that I have to reach to get a decent one. Last year I had the 1st pick and took Chris Johnson knowing that I should have a good QB sitting there at 2.12...yet by the time it got to me the following QB's were off the board: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Rivers...I wound up with Ryan much later in the draft, but I expect the same thing this year.

'Hurl Bruce said:
I play with people from Cleveland, so I hope they are biased!
I've got Washington homers to deal with, so I feel exactly the same way. Yes, Anthony Armstrong is a great pick in the 7th round...you go right ahead with that.

Bias screws with a persons view on sports, let alone the draft.

When your bias, you lose all objectivity on anything, fact.

'JHuber77 said:
'Hurl Bruce said:
I play with people from Cleveland, so I hope they are biased!
:goodposting: I knew living in Denver had its privledges!
We use to think that way in Detroit, I doubt they think that way this year with acyual talent in Detroit.

'gianmarco said:
They're posting a similar thread about you when you grab Harvin in the 3rd
Like I said. I tend to throw bias out the window when I draft and try to draft BPA. It can be painful too because I have to root for my players to do well but hope their team doesn't win.Last year my team consisted of Aaron Rodgers, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings and Mason Crosby. It was a tough pill to swallow every week the Vikings played the packers.Luckily our season went down the tube pretty quick, so I wasn't too worried about the playoff hunt.We'll see what Harvin will do this year being a #1. I have high (biased) hopes for him, but you won't see me reaching for him in the 3rd.

in my home league (keeper) Jahvid Best went 1.4 last year, ahead of steven jackson, reggie wayne, peyton manning and ryan mathews.

you pretty much have to jump a round early if you want a lion.

Unless he fails miserably in preseason action, Mark Ingram will definitely go in the low-first/high-second in my New Orleans-area live drafts.

These guys will usually wait on other QBs, but Drew Brees never makes it out of the first round.

I don't see how "leaguemates drafting players earlier than they should" is a problem. Sounds like a good thing to me.
You can always adjust, and often take advantage. One thing that hometown bias does affect, though, is the applicability of boilerplate FF advice from national writers.For instance, if I read an article that advises waiting on RBs because I can just grab Mark Ingram in the 5th round -- that's advice that I know I won't be able to apply in local live leagues. Nowhere a draft-ruiner or anything like that, though.

My team has a couple Panthers homers who will always take guys like Steve Smith or DeAngelo Williams too early in the draft. I am fine with it, as I tend to prefer not drafting Panthers players anyway. I will probably try to make an exception on Greg Olsen if I can get him as a backup TE this year, because I think he'll be a top 10 player at his position.

I just basically write off all Colts. They will usually go 1 - 3 rounds too early. Like others have said, this causes other players of value to fall right to me and any other shrewd drafters. This can tend to make the league somewhat lopsided but some guys would rather root for their players on Sunday than win it all. :confused:

if u are an active trader, sometimes the :shark: play is to jump on one of these 'hometown darlings' early, and then immediately trade him for the guys next pick and an additional 4th-8th etc. Especially with the young rookie local phenoms.

Users who are viewing this thread