What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FA - Terrell Owens (1 Viewer)

I know he's recovering from off-season surgery, and I know he's old, but he showed last year that he can still play at a high level and I can't imagine that there's not one team out there who wouldn't give him a 1 year contract if he passed a physical. Has anyone even looked at him?

he tore had acl surgery in april. if he has the fastest recovery of all time and is "ready" in 6 months that will be october.

he tore had acl surgery in april. if he has the fastest recovery of all time and is "ready" in 6 months that will be october.
ah, didn't see that the injury was so late. just saw a report that said he's "near 100%" (PFT) but i agree it's unlikely he wouldn't start on PUP even if he signed on prior to week 1. that said, he might be worth owning in some formats at least until we find out who takes a shot on him. would love to see him land someplace like New Orleans where there is a strong passing game and injury-prone receivers.

Latest NewsRecent NewsFree agent Terrell Owens (ACL surgery) admitted Wednesday that he's still 2-3 months away from being fully healed.Owens also conceded that not a single NFL team has contacted him. "I'm still not 100 percent to be able to go to a team and contribute," he said. "When I get to the point to where I'm comfortable and able to run around, I'll feel like those calls should be coming." T.O. turns 38 in December. We're very skeptical that he'll be effective when he does regain full health. Aug 24 - 6:36 PM
This is a big change from what Owens said just a week ago, when he said he was targeting "two or three weeks" into the season. Two months would put Owens' return around Week 7 or Week 8. And there is still a lot of late round flyers taken on this guy. :confused:

Injury or not, Bears need to sign this guy. Just as he's getting ready to play Martz and company should be realizing what a mistake Roy is.

Any nuggets out there on T.O. lately?
John Glennon via Twitter:Munchak: When T.O. is healthy, he may be a guy that's worth a work out. Says #Titans could take a look, depending on how team producing. link

Let the Terrell Owens speculation begin.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said Tuesday on his radio show on 104.5-FM that when Owens is healthy enough to pass a physical, the team would likely take a look at him.

Owens, a 15-year veteran, suffered a knee injury that required surgery during the offseason. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Oct. 7 that Owens should be medically cleared to return to the NFL in two to three weeks.

The Titans have been looking for help at wide receiver since Kenny Britt was lost for the year with a torn ACL and MCL in the third week of the season.

“That’s something that at some point when (Owens’) health is better and he can pass a physical – people thought the midpoint of the season, maybe – he might be a guy that may be able to to work out to prove where he’s at,” Munchak said. “So of course us, or whoever else, is going to take a look, just like we have with other free agents, to see what kind of shape he’s in.”

Munchak said the amount of the Titans’ interest in Owens would hinge on a couple of factors.

“A lot is going to depend for us on how we are producing at that (wide receiver) postion three weeks or two weeks from now, and how we’re doing (overall),” Munchak said. “All those things will factor into it. But I’m sure whenever you’ve got a player that has his capabilities, everyone’s going to know exactly where he’s at. If he has a way of helping our team win, then for sure you’re going to take a look at him.”

The 37 year-old Owens, an Alabama native who played collegiately at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, has played for five NFL teams. He spent last season in Cincinnati, where he posted 72 catches for 983 yards and nine touchdowns.

Overall, Owens has 1,078 catches for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns.

This entry was posted in League News, Team News and tagged Kenny Britt, Mike Munchak, Terrell Owens. Bookmark the permalink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any nuggets out there on T.O. lately?
John Glennon via Twitter:Munchak: When T.O. is healthy, he may be a guy that's worth a work out. Says #Titans could take a look, depending on how team producing. link

Let the Terrell Owens speculation begin.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said Tuesday on his radio show on 104.5-FM that when Owens is healthy enough to pass a physical, the team would likely take a look at him.

Owens, a 15-year veteran, suffered a knee injury that required surgery during the offseason. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Oct. 7 that Owens should be medically cleared to return to the NFL in two to three weeks.

The Titans have been looking for help at wide receiver since Kenny Britt was lost for the year with a torn ACL and MCL in the third week of the season.

“That’s something that at some point when (Owens’) health is better and he can pass a physical – people thought the midpoint of the season, maybe – he might be a guy that may be able to to work out to prove where he’s at,” Munchak said. “So of course us, or whoever else, is going to take a look, just like we have with other free agents, to see what kind of shape he’s in.”

Munchak said the amount of the Titans’ interest in Owens would hinge on a couple of factors.

“A lot is going to depend for us on how we are producing at that (wide receiver) postion three weeks or two weeks from now, and how we’re doing (overall),” Munchak said. “All those things will factor into it. But I’m sure whenever you’ve got a player that has his capabilities, everyone’s going to know exactly where he’s at. If he has a way of helping our team win, then for sure you’re going to take a look at him.”

The 37 year-old Owens, an Alabama native who played collegiately at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, has played for five NFL teams. He spent last season in Cincinnati, where he posted 72 catches for 983 yards and nine touchdowns.

Overall, Owens has 1,078 catches for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns.

This entry was posted in League News, Team News and tagged Kenny Britt, Mike Munchak, Terrell Owens. Bookmark the permalink.
So there's a chance? I'd rather see him in Houston though.

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:

Seahawks plan to give WR @terrellowens a tryout:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2018857560_terrellowens06.html

Seahawks to give Terrell Owens a tryout

Terrell Owens, who did not play in the NFL last season as he recovered from knee surgery, will try out with Seattle on Monday.

RENTON — The Seahawks aren't just bringing in a big-name receiver for a tryout on Monday. They're bringing in a receiver who's such a big name he's known by his initials: T.O.

Terrell Owens will try out for the Seahawks on Monday, a players' day off during training camp.

Owens did not play in the NFL last season as he recovered from a left knee injury that required surgery. He caught 72 passes for the Bengals in 2010. Cincinnati was his third team in three years. He played for the Cowboys in 2008 and Buffalo in 2009 before joining Cincinnati.

Owens, 38, last topped 1,000 yards receiving in 2008.

He played for the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League this spring, appearing in eight games.

:coffee:

Not sure I would give a rookie QB or TJAX any hope of surviving T.O. and his antics.

Flynn, for some reason, I just get the feeling that he could weather it (and I'm basing that purely on him coming from a solid organization, being the late round QB that beat out the 2nd rounder when it was assumed he wouldn't, seeing Rodgers handle the Favre stuff, etc...I just think if you are around it, you get some experience somehow).

But with that being said, like was mentioned above, he just might be the best WR they have at some point so if they will kick tires on Antonio Bryant then why not?

You know the sad part is he could potentially be the best WR on that team.
he just might be the best WR they have
"could"..."might be" ???IF the Seahawks can actually sign him, he IS and WILL be the best receiving option they have in 2012. Period.You can say a lot of things about TO, but he has always been in great physical shape when he isn't injured. He might be a goof - but he is a physically gifted goof who works to keep his body in good shape. At 38 going on 39, he's probably on the decline due to age - but when you take one of the best WRs in history - at 85-90% he's still pretty good

Although he's brittle....Sidney Rice is and will be the best WR on the Seahawks regardless of whether TO signs. Sorry guys to burst your waiver wire bubble.

Not sure I would give a rookie QB or TJAX any hope of surviving T.O. and his antics. Flynn, for some reason, I just get the feeling that he could weather it (and I'm basing that purely on him coming from a solid organization, being the late round QB that beat out the 2nd rounder when it was assumed he wouldn't, seeing Rodgers handle the Favre stuff, etc...I just think if you are around it, you get some experience somehow).But with that being said, like was mentioned above, he just might be the best WR they have at some point so if they will kick tires on Antonio Bryant then why not?
I think the TO "antics" have been really over blown the past couple seasons he played. I never heard anything from TO on the Bengals or the Bills, but plenty of crying from Chad Johnson and he may be playing with a rookie himself. I am not really a TO fan, but I do think sometimes we as fans carry things on or exaggerate things unnecessarily. No offence intended to Shutout, I think we all do it from time to time. I mean how many of us said Fred Taylor was brittle? I know I did a time or 2, and he had almost 12K rushing yards and over 14K total yards, hardly brittle in mho.

Although he's brittle....Sidney Rice is and will be the best WR on the Seahawks regardless of whether TO signs. Sorry guys to burst your waiver wire bubble.
It would be cool of him if he actually chose to see the field...not disagreeing with your thoughts, but man, you can't make MY team from the tub...17-280-232-484-2for two years worth of work...here is a nice stretch from CJ:Weeks 14-16 last year...9-214-24-102-111-244-1Which equals...24-560-4Someone is stealing money, and I think his name is Sid...

'Sweet Love said:
'doowain said:
It would be cool of him if he actually chose to see the field...not disagreeing with your thoughts, but man, you can't make MY team from the tub...17-280-232-484-2for two years worth of work..Someone is stealing money, and I think his name is Sid...
He played ALL last year injured. He didn't want to go on IR because he signed a contract so he played through more than a few things. That would be the opposite of stealing money genius.

'Sweet Love said:
'doowain said:
It would be cool of him if he actually chose to see the field...not disagreeing with your thoughts, but man, you can't make MY team from the tub...17-280-232-484-2for two years worth of work..Someone is stealing money, and I think his name is Sid...
He played ALL last year injured. He didn't want to go on IR because he signed a contract so he played through more than a few things. That would be the opposite of stealing money genius.
I have a small piece of my heart that lauds your "fandom", but at the end of the day, he is Branch Part Deux...so bad, I had to say it in French.

'Sweet Love said:
'doowain said:
I have a small piece of my heart that lauds your "fandom", but at the end of the day, he is Branch Part Deux...so bad, I had to say it in French.
This is so way off. Rice was easily the 2nd best wr after Calvin the year he came out. Big and physical but a bit raw compared to Calvin. Barring injury he WILL be a stud. I just hope the surgery did him some good. The hate for Rice on these boards is ridiculous.

Pete Carrol's personality may allow this to work.

I was thinking Baldwin for ppr. Wait and see approach for Sydney Rice.

What to do now with T.O and Edwards?

Helps Flynn and Lynch/Turbin.

Running team with new additions, its hard to believe you can rely on any of these wr's

'DoubleG said:
"could"..."might be" ???IF the Seahawks can actually sign him, he IS and WILL be the best receiving option they have in 2012. Period.

You can say a lot of things about TO, but he has always been in great physical shape when he isn't injured. He might be a goof - but he is a physically gifted goof who works to keep his body in good shape. At 38 going on 39, he's probably on the decline due to age - but when you take one of the best WRs in history - at 85-90% he's still pretty good
I have to agree with this... T.O. at 85-90% is better than anything the Seahawks have... the fact that he is a big physical WR, who will go over the middle to make the tough catches means he has value as at the very least a #4 WR especially in PPR leagues, and if he turns out to be the #1.. than i would say a #3 WR with the potential to be a strong #3

70 rec

1000 yds

9 TD's

granite Jerry Rice was the best WR ever in football.. but I am sure T.O. picked up some of Rice's workout regime when he was younger, and if any player can do it besides Rice at age 38 it is T.O.

Jerry Rice

38 years old 83 rec, 1139 yds, 9tds

39 years old 92 rec, 1211 yds, 7tds

'DoubleG said:
"could"..."might be" ???IF the Seahawks can actually sign him, he IS and WILL be the best receiving option they have in 2012. Period.You can say a lot of things about TO, but he has always been in great physical shape when he isn't injured. He might be a goof - but he is a physically gifted goof who works to keep his body in good shape. At 38 going on 39, he's probably on the decline due to age - but when you take one of the best WRs in history - at 85-90% he's still pretty good
I have to agree with this... T.O. at 85-90% is better than anything the Seahawks have... the fact that he is a big physical WR, who will go over the middle to make the tough catches means he has value as at the very least a #4 WR especially in PPR leagues, and if he turns out to be the #1.. than i would say a #3 WR with the potential to be a strong #370 rec1000 yds9 TD's
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves. I'm sure you same people were saying Antonio Bryant was "better than anything the Seahawks have" and he lasted 10 days. How many of you people have even seen a Seahawks game in the past year? How many players sign one year deals and get cut before a single game? You might have something if there was any news on a signing bonus, but without even that I tend to think he's trying out and that's it--no guarantee he even makes the roster.

'DoubleG said:
I have to agree with this... T.O. at 85-90% is better than anything the Seahawks have... the fact that he is a big physical WR, who will go over the middle to make the tough catches means he has value as at the very least a #4 WR especially in PPR leagues, and if he turns out to be the #1.. than i would say a #3 WR with the potential to be a strong #370 rec1000 yds9 TD's
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves. I'm sure you same people were saying Antonio Bryant was "better than anything the Seahawks have" and he lasted 10 days. How many of you people have even seen a Seahawks game in the past year? How many players sign one year deals and get cut before a single game? You might have something if there was any news on a signing bonus, but without even that I tend to think he's trying out and that's it--no guarantee he even makes the roster.
Sure, but he's a first ballot HOF caliber player who prides himself in keeping in top physical shape. There are certainly worse horses to back in fantasy football at this point.

'DoubleG said:
Sure, but he's a first ballot HOF caliber player who prides himself in keeping in top physical shape. There are certainly worse horses to back in fantasy football at this point.
Horrible argument though. This reminds me of when Tiki Barber was "coming out of retirement" and everyone speculated which team needs him the most and some mentioned it may come down to "getting paid" to "going for a ring". For some reason people didn't even bother to wonder if the guy could make a team.Until everyone gets more information I think it's strange to assume Seattle WRs are garbage and TO is the top option without even seeing him play.

:lmao: you guys are killing me with the totally unrealistic expectations. No chance he comes close to WR3 Numbers. He might even be cut before the season begins...put down the koolaid.

Edited to clarify 'relevant'

:lmao: you guys are killing me with the totally unrealistic expectations. No chance he's fantasy relevant this season. He might even be cut before the season begins...put down the koolaid.
Nature of fantasy football ... and this forum. You should know that by now..

:lmao: you guys are killing me with the totally unrealistic expectations.
Perhaps.
No chance he comes close to WR3 Numbers. He might even be cut before the season begins...put down the koolaid.
Because someone over-shoots a prediction doesn't mean to you have to be 180 degrees on the other side. It only makes you both look like tools. No chance?

what does that say about the health of S. Rice.
I think it actually speaks more to the lack of any other WR on the team to play opposite of Rice. The Hawks are desperate for a legit #2WR and need a one year answer (and they are hoping it's Edwards or Owens).
I think this is correct. They would prefer to have a WR with size to play the split end, and that player wasn't on the roster. My guess is either Owens or Edwards is on the roster week 1, but not both.

TO was great his year in Cincy before getting hurt. He's still a physical mismatch for almost every corner and he looks to have recovered his speed. T.O. may be a head case, but his impact on the field is pretty damn undeniable. It he's getting snaps and enough looks, he's gonna be valuable.

Doug Baldwin was the Seahawks best WR last year. Read that again. Yea, I think there's a chance TO can be a sleeper.

I bet it's a non-guaranteed contract and I bet he gets cut in preseason.
I'll take that bet. TO might be an ### half the time, but the dude is a baller. Look at what he did in Cincy...made OchoCinco play second fiddle.Just look at who has he's up against. Rice? Baldwin? Tate? Does any one of them make an opposing CB quake? Well, maybe Rice but he's still eating meals through a straw atm.

:lmao: you guys are killing me with the totally unrealistic expectations.
Perhaps.
No chance he comes close to WR3 Numbers. He might even be cut before the season begins...put down the koolaid.
Because someone over-shoots a prediction doesn't mean to you have to be 180 degrees on the other side. It only makes you both look like tools. No chance?
In PPR leagues TO finished WR15 as a Bengal and WR32 as a Bill.I think it's most likely he starts in 3 wide sets and finishes WR3/4 again. He's one of the greatest talents of his generation and even if he lost some speed he's still bigger/stronger than every DB he will face

'DoubleG said:
Horrible argument though. This reminds me of when Tiki Barber was "coming out of retirement" and everyone speculated which team needs him the most and some mentioned it may come down to "getting paid" to "going for a ring". For some reason people didn't even bother to wonder if the guy could make a team.Until everyone gets more information I think it's strange to assume Seattle WRs are garbage and TO is the top option without even seeing him play.
Not a horrible argument at all. And Tiki wasn't picked up in any of my dynasty leagues when he came back,- not one person I know speculated he'd be a fantasy contributor, nevermind "everyone" as you're suggesting. Owens may never pan out to anything, but you're talking about a late round pick that you'd be spending on who, Damian Williams, Josh Morgan? The risk is slight and the reward could be pretty good.

I remember the arguments two summers ago when people where laughing at the relatively high projections some had for TO in Cincy. Before blowing out his knee he was on pace for 87 rec 1182 yards and 11 TDs. WR1 numbers and still finished top 17 while basically missing 3 games.

Two years later, TO is approaching 40 and coming off a serious knee injury. But I still like his potential to put up WR3/4 numbers. And depending on where he falls in drafts he could be very good value this year.

He's always been in phenomenal shape, has a history of coming back well from injury, and has serious financial incentive to play and play well. I also like the situation in Seattle for him. A familiar offense, a potentially decent QB in Flynn, a team that should be competitive, and a WR corps that should provide plenty of opportunity for targets.

The naysayers can and will say all they want. And maybe his body fails him at his age. But I've always been on the other side with TO. I think he will be a low risk, medium to high reward for Seattle and FF owners this year.

'DoubleG said:
"could"..."might be" ???IF the Seahawks can actually sign him, he IS and WILL be the best receiving option they have in 2012. Period.

You can say a lot of things about TO, but he has always been in great physical shape when he isn't injured. He might be a goof - but he is a physically gifted goof who works to keep his body in good shape. At 38 going on 39, he's probably on the decline due to age - but when you take one of the best WRs in history - at 85-90% he's still pretty good
I have to agree with this... T.O. at 85-90% is better than anything the Seahawks have... the fact that he is a big physical WR, who will go over the middle to make the tough catches means he has value as at the very least a #4 WR especially in PPR leagues, and if he turns out to be the #1.. than i would say a #3 WR with the potential to be a strong #3

70 rec

1000 yds

9 TD's
Not a horrible argument at all. And Tiki wasn't picked up in any of my dynasty leagues when he came back,- not one person I know speculated he'd be a fantasy contributor, nevermind "everyone" as you're suggesting. Owens may never pan out to anything, but you're talking about a late round pick that you'd be spending on who, Damian Williams, Josh Morgan? The risk is slight and the reward could be pretty good.
I don't see how this is a horrible argument... the Seahawks have no one that is any better than Chad Johnson ever was, and T.O. made Johnson who had built rapport with Carson Palmer for years look like he wasn't barely a part of the offense...

the Seahawks need someone that defenses will respect... who cares if anyone likes the guy..

at this point you gotta think T.O. is just glad to be playing in the NFL again.. and you gotta think the Seahawks made his contract similar to Randy Moss's where how well T.O. performs is how much money he will get paid....we haven't heard a peep out of the guy since he left Dallas... and most importantly if he is enough good enough shape for a team to sign him than that immediately gives him some value as a Fantasy player

if the guy makes the roster.. which he will most likely... you gotta start considering the possibility that he might easily be the most consistent WR on Seattle and has the potential to be a strong #3 because ITS T.O... the guy can play... and Flynn is going to have to rely on somone early on

maybe I over predicted a bit.. a little more realistic might be

65 receptions, 950 yds, 8 tds... very doable in my opinion... and i would say his ceiling is somewhere similar to Rice's numbers that I posted if he has an absolute phenomenal year

for where you can get this guy in the draft... and if he makes the roster.. its worth a flier

I generally shy away from old receivers that missed a year that are coming off of major knee surgery and are a head case. But maybe that's just me. I would say the same thing about Moss, except he at least he did not have major knee surgery. I would be really, really surprised if either of these two were a fantasy factor this season. Chad Johnson is slightly younger, did not take a year off, and has at least practiced throughout. I think he will have the best (but still not great) season of these three. The fact that none of them has a top QB won't help any.

I generally shy away from old receivers that missed a year that are coming off of major knee surgery and are a head case. But maybe that's just me. I would say the same thing about Moss, except he at least he did not have major knee surgery. I would be really, really surprised if either of these two were a fantasy factor this season. Chad Johnson is slightly younger, did not take a year off, and has at least practiced throughout. I think he will have the best (but still not great) season of these three. The fact that none of them has a top QB won't help any.
Generally speaking, I think everyone shys away from guys with all of these question marks. But we're talking about 2 of the greatest WRs of all time. These guys can be exceptions to the rule as they have been for most of their careers. I'm late getting into my rankings but I think I have a better feeling about TO and Moss than I do Chad. After you get to WR35 or so there arent a lot of names out there that excite me and some of us will start to consider rolling the dice on a TO or Moss.

Users who are viewing this thread