What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

ex-ghost

Footballguy
How is he looking? I did not catch the game tonight, but his stats looked decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive rookie RB. He's little but powerful. He finishes every run and often creates where there is nothing initially. He had a nice KO return tonight that showed his skills as well. The kid's a player.

Not sure how many of my fellow Eagle fans will agree but this pre-season he has given me a Westbrook feeling when he was a rookie. The way he's looked this pre-season makes you wonder why he fell so far in the draft.

Not sure how many of my fellow Eagle fans will agree but this pre-season he has given me a Westbrook feeling when he was a rookie. The way he's looked this pre-season makes you wonder why he fell so far in the draft.
I think he's looked really good, but he's also been playing against the dregs on the opposing team.

I got that feeling as well. Have to temper it a little because it was 2nd and 3rd string last night but he looked good. He wasn't just trying to burn people. He was patient behind the line and waited forthe hole to open. He angled off the blockers well and turned losses into gains for the times he was caught behind the line. Reminds me a lot of Warrick Dunn. I think he makes the team. Bye bye Eldra Buckley.

Lewis has looked outstanding IMO. He makes the first defender miss constantly. Loved when they drafted him and still love it at the end of preseason.

I got that feeling as well. Have to temper it a little because it was 2nd and 3rd string last night but he looked good. He wasn't just trying to burn people. He was patient behind the line and waited forthe hole to open. He angled off the blockers well and turned losses into gains for the times he was caught behind the line. Reminds me a lot of Warrick Dunn. I think he makes the team. Bye bye Eldra Buckley.
Good comparison. Kind of limited in FF though. If he were on the Colts or Some team like that, he would be my 2nd most favorite dynasty rookie RB stash.

Good comparison. Kind of limited in FF though. If he were on the Colts or Some team like that, he would be my 2nd most favorite dynasty rookie RB stash.
Of course. This year he'll only have limited value if McCoy gets hurt. In the years to come though, Ronnie Brown will be gone and Lewis could start to creep in on an upwards of 30% of the carries. Maybe even more in a few years when Mccoy starts to slow down. In this offense, he's a perfect fit. Didn't seem to have trouble finding the LB's to block either. Again 2nd and 3rd string though.

Glad to hear he's doing well. He was one of my favorite rookies in this year's draft.

The kid has a wicked first step, which is of tremendous value at the RB position. He's not very tall, but he's bulky for his height.

Definitely seems to fit the Westbrook/Shady mold of Eagles RBs. Lightweight, but with the ability to catch the ball and make people miss in space.

Look at those shakes!

'ex-ghost said:
If McCoy were to go down, any predictions on how the Brown/Lewis split would look?
I wouldn't get too excited unless you are playing in a PPR league. I would think Ronnie would get most of the carries as he will spell McCoy quite a bit I think this year. Lewis has been a very pleasent surprise though. Hope they keep him (i'm sure they will).

'ex-ghost said:
If McCoy were to go down, any predictions on how the Brown/Lewis split would look?
I wouldn't get too excited unless you are playing in a PPR league. I would think Ronnie would get most of the carries as he will spell McCoy quite a bit I think this year. Lewis has been a very pleasent surprise though. Hope they keep him (i'm sure they will).
Guy's a pure talent. I think in 3 years, he might be the guy if shady has worn down. RB shelf lives are very short.

Think I'm watching Brian Westbrook every time I see this kid. Already hearing report he's been good in blitz pick up. (which the one thing you always worry about with the undersized guys)

He's got a very very bright future IMO. Not many backs in the league right now change directions as quick as this kid.

Was stunned he lasted to the 5th in the draft. Thought he put on a show at the Combine in the cone drill.

I'd really love to pick him up. Problem is, I don't want to end up with another Bernard Scott sitting on the roster for years. His opportunity with the Eagles is not there yet.

I'd really love to pick him up. Problem is, I don't want to end up with another Bernard Scott sitting on the roster for years. His opportunity with the Eagles is not there yet.
He's the perfect high upside mid/late draft dynasty stash. Great team, skill set tailored to that offense. I don't think Scott (who was I believe 25 years old entering the league....with a long criminal record) is the best comparison. He's nowhere near as talented either.Bernard Scott is another Adrian Peterson (old Bears version). The majority of RB stashes aren't going to work out for owners (there's only so many starting RB spots)If Dion is adequate in blitz pickup, he'll be playing on Sundays for awhile.

He's the perfect high upside mid/late draft dynasty stash. Great team, skill set tailored to that offense. I don't think Scott (who was I believe 25 years old entering the league....with a long criminal record) is the best comparison. He's nowhere near as talented either.Bernard Scott is another Adrian Peterson (old Bears version). The majority of RB stashes aren't going to work out for owners (there's only so many starting RB spots)If Dion is adequate in blitz pickup, he'll be playing on Sundays for awhile.
OK, but when? And where? Is he more talented than McCoy? I agree that he is younger, and maybe more talented than Scott. But right now, there is less in Scott's way than Dion.

RB position changes quickly -- looks at the likes of Slaton, Kevin & Julius Jones, Kevin Smith. (Of course this is where everyone and their mother chime in and say "Oh Shady is much more talented than those guys"....no he's not). Lewis really doesn't have to be more talented than McCoy right now. He's not taking over the job right now.

It really doesn't bode well for Scott's chances to unseat Benson when 1) they STILL haven't handed Scott the job after Benson's arrests or wasn't given the job at any point during their 2 (?) win season last year all the while Benson averaged 3.46 ypc.

I just don't believe comparing Lewis and Scott is good. I've never thought much of Bernard Scott. I draft guys based on talent, not on opportunity. You just got to be patient with your late round fliers -- even if I don't believe the reward with Scott is going to be that great on that team.

I like him as well. Dion and Kendall have been my two favorite RBs from this draft and they seem very similar in talent. No idea why they fell to the fourth and fifth round tho...

OK, but when? And where? Is he more talented than McCoy? I agree that he is younger, and maybe more talented than Scott. But right now, there is less in Scott's way than Dion.
I actually went to Pitt and saw both play live during my time at school...After shady left, i was kinda pissed but then Dion LOOKED and PLAYED as good or better without Jeff Otah IIRC who shady had during his time. Dion broke almost all of shadys records that broke Curtis martin's school records the year before. What's scary is that Ray Graham, backup who was behind dion, looked amazing last year too. (He had 200 and 3 yesterday in his first game as a starter). Dion is legit but a bit undersized. I really didnt think shady would have half of the career he has had already in the nfl.If shady can do it, I think dion is able to as well.

There are a bunch of highlight clips from the last preseason game mixed in with his interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiU0y2Thukc

Looks pretty good. Could he be the next MJD/Rice/McCoy? Remember, almost no one thought those guys would be as good as they've been in the NFL.

The biggest short term problem is the lack of opportunity. It will be interesting to see if he cuts into McCoy's touches at all.

Either way, he's only 20 years old and he's on a four year deal, so he could be a FA when he's 24.

There are a bunch of highlight clips from the last preseason game mixed in with his interview here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiU0y2ThukcLooks pretty good. Could he be the next MJD/Rice/McCoy? Remember, almost no one thought those guys would be as good as they've been in the NFL. The biggest short term problem is the lack of opportunity. It will be interesting to see if he cuts into McCoy's touches at all. Either way, he's only 20 years old and he's on a four year deal, so he could be a FA when he's 24.
Another guy I like that hasn't been giving a chance is NOEL DEVINE. It's crazy to think the eagles had Dion and NOEL just sittin there on the bench ... wow NOEL is a stud in the making to and I def think Dion could be as good or better then mccoy. he was in college with less talent around him. He broke mccoy and martins records... The reason guys like Dion and hunter, noel got drafted late or not even drafted in noel's case is because here we go again, scouts thinking they knnow talent and because of their size... But we all know size doesn't matter, or at the very least is very overrated.

There are a bunch of highlight clips from the last preseason game mixed in with his interview here:

Looks pretty good. Could he be the next MJD/Rice/McCoy? Remember, almost no one thought those guys would be as good as they've been in the NFL.

The biggest short term problem is the lack of opportunity. It will be interesting to see if he cuts into McCoy's touches at all.

Either way, he's only 20 years old and he's on a four year deal, so he could be a FA when he's 24.
Another guy I like that hasn't been giving a chance is NOEL DEVINE. It's crazy to think the eagles had Dion and NOEL just sittin there on the bench ... wow NOEL is a stud in the making to and I def think Dion could be as good or better then mccoy. he was in college with less talent around him. He broke mccoy and martins records... The reason guys like Dion and hunter, noel got drafted late or not even drafted in noel's case is because here we go again, scouts thinking they knnow talent and because of their size... But we all know size doesn't matter, or at the very least is very overrated.
you realize Noel Devine left the team after only a few practices and basically flaked out? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/noel-devine-quit-on-the-eagles/

Nice call. :lmao:

Is Lewis in the mix to return punts now that Hall is cut?
Not sure about punts, but he will be returning kickoffs this coming Sunday... or at least catching the ball and taking a knee in the end zone anyway, as most kickoffs seem to play out now. :rolleyes: I think DeSean Jackson is too good a punt returner to replace him with a rookie, but I haven't heard anything definitive on who will return punts this week.Yes, Lewis has looked pretty impressive, but as others have said, he hasn't had much, if any, reps against opposing 1st string defenses.

from what little action this guy has seen, I love him. Too bad he's behind one of the best RB's in the league.

Seems to me like if something happened to Lesean he would see a lot of action.

What's his value in a dynasty league now considering the talent but bad situation? He was a late 2nd/early 3rd pick in many rookie drafts and now it seems like he's decreased in value somehow based off the response i've gotten trying to trade him for a 2nd even though I'm giving a 3rd with him...with what he's shown seems like a bargain at that price

I like what I saw from Lewis a multi purpose back, he's a lot stronger than people think and in the open field he would probly tear a DBs ACL he's very shifty, yet strong and has the speed to take it to the house, He had me raising an eyebrow a few times. I hope he gets his shot one day because he has the type of potential where Defensive

Co-ordinators would have to game plan around, A hybrid Westbrook/Dunn comparisons but stronger. Seems like the type of kid that will bounce right back up if he takes a huge hit.

I hope he gets his chance one day.

Is he just playing in garbage time or seeing the field in meaningful situations?
His 1 carry against NY was when the outcome was still in doubt (Eagles still had the lead). Ronnie Brown has done nothing much so far, so I think it's possible he could move past him (but Brown is technically the main backup right now).His biggest impact is kickoff returns right now.

He has been getting into games in meaningful situations, which is a decent accomplishment for a rookie under Andy Reid. Neither Westbrook nor McCoy was an instant star here. I think Dion could produce roughly on par with McCoy if given the same opportunities, but he'll only get that chance if Shady gets injured. Hard player to gauge because you could end up with another Jonathan Stewart type of situation where he never gets the touches he deserves.

Dont count on much from him. He has Brown in front of him & Brown is gettng maybe 3-5 touches a game
For this year maybe, but I'm not sure I'd really say Brown is in front of him. Both are used in limited roles. If something happened to McCoy, Lewis would be heavily involved and from what I've seen likely outplay Brown.Nobody is saying to go pick the guy up and use him as your RB in redrafts. This thread is more about the potential he's shown which can mean he's a good buy low in dynasty leagues if teams share your perspective

Brown has a different role from Lewis. Dion is the same as McCoy. Brown is supposed to be the bewteen the tackles back. Lewis has tremendous value in dynasty because we've seen what Westbrook and now McCoy can do in this offense. By 2013, Lewis should have a prominent role in the offense.

looks like he's passed Ronnie Brown up and is now Lesean's back-up? Haven't seen Brown at all today...
Can anybody confirm this? FBG write up mentioned this as well.
Lewis had two carries and Brown had none. I'm also guessing Brown is in the doghouse for his boneheaded fumble the week prior. Official depth chart on nfl.com still has Brown 2nd string, but I think it's Lewis.

looks like he's passed Ronnie Brown up and is now Lesean's back-up? Haven't seen Brown at all today...
not sure why you need confirmation. I'm an Eagle fan with all 3 of these guys on one of my rosters so i'm interested on how it plays out and watched intently. Brown barely played if at all. I'd suggest that Lewis is his handcuff at this point, but it would likely be RBBC anyways

Lewis had two carries and Brown had none. I'm also guessing Brown is in the doghouse for his boneheaded fumble the week prior. Official depth chart on nfl.com still has Brown 2nd string, but I think it's Lewis.
those depth charts are anything but official

Brown has a different role from Lewis. Dion is the same as McCoy. Brown is supposed to be the bewteen the tackles back. Lewis has tremendous value in dynasty because we've seen what Westbrook and now McCoy can do in this offense. By 2013, Lewis should have a prominent role in the offense.
This offense won't be there in 2013... can't imagine Andy Reid lasting that long

Dion's only value is as a handcuff. McCoy is one of the best RB's in the league, and is far younger than anyone thinks. Dion will need an injury to McCoy see any significant action any time soon.

That said....in deep dynasties where you can stash him for 2 or 3 years....his value is much higher...I'd buy!

Dion's only value is as a handcuff. McCoy is one of the best RB's in the league, and is far younger than anyone thinks. Dion will need an injury to McCoy see any significant action any time soon.That said....in deep dynasties where you can stash him for 2 or 3 years....his value is much higher...I'd buy!
Definitely a guy those in dynasties should target. Clear backup to McCoy, but his talent is evident. Opportunities always arise when it appears there is no shot (Shaun Alexander w. Ricky Waters, Duece McAllister behind Ricky Williams).

This offense won't be there in 2013... can't imagine Andy Reid lasting that long
You don't think they will want a good coach in 2 years or you think he will retire?

That said....in deep dynasties where you can stash him for 2 or 3 years....his value is much higher...I'd buy!
Maybe 6 or 7 yrs considering that McCoy is 23 yrs old
Yep...that's why his value is highest only where you can hold him a while. Unless McCoy were to suffer a career-threatening injury, someones contract would have to expire and then that someone moves on.

Maybe 6 or 7 yrs considering that McCoy is 23 yrs old
Yep...that's why his value is highest only where you can hold him a while. Unless McCoy were to suffer a career-threatening injury, someones contract would have to expire and then that someone moves on.
I don't know how long Dion's deal is, but another possibility is that the Eagles could decide to trade McCoy at some point. It's not a likely scenario, but it has happened to guys like Portis and Ricky. I tend to agree with the general sentiment that talent finds opportunity, but it doesn't always work out that way (see: Jonathan Stewart). I still like Lewis as a dynasty buy because he's dirt cheap and I think he might be a legit NFL talent. A lot can happen from an opportunity standpoint. Injuries are very common at the RB position. If McCoy goes down, you might suddenly have a top 5 ppr back on your hands. Nevermind the fact that Lewis is young in his own right. He's young enough to go the Michael Turner route of riding out his rookie contract and still emerging as a starter at a young age.

Users who are viewing this thread