What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

Blount apparently had x-rays done today for an unspecified injury.
Haven't seen this anywhere. Where did you hear it/see it?
Twitter via the Patriots subreddit.
Hmm.

I'm not certain that would change the value one way or the other. Even as a Lewis owner across the board, I'm not sure I Want that scenario. I like Lewis in everything he has done so far. Sure, Colts game could have been a lot sweeter (like had it been him that caught the Blount TD), but overall, it's working. No need to change anything.

I think it will bear monitoring what the Patriots will do given their current rash of injuries to the OL. Cannon's injury is said to be minor, but it's the Patriots . . . they listed Ben Watson questionable and week to week his entire rookie season with what people have since said 10 years later was most likely a torn ACL (why he didn't get put on IR is above my pay grade).

Against the Colts, Mike Williams played more than normal at TE to help block, thus limiting Chandler's role and snaps. I also think that Gronk was asked to stay in and block more than normal (which limited his production). I unofficially heard that LaFell will be activated and Dobson will be released, and LaFell coming back will also change the status quo.

Bottom line, things may be a little different in the short term with injuries, roster changes, and having to game plan through that against the Jets, who have a defense that could give NE trouble.

Lewis' floor isn't as low as I thought. Blount is still performing at a high very level. I guess I was thinking (foolishly hoping) that Blount would come back down to earth some this season. I thought that talent of Lewis would win out a larger chunk of running game, but Blount is too good at what he does. The fumbles also probably contributed to it, or not.

Lewis is still PPR gold, but I have adjusted my expectation in standard scoring to mid to low RB2, or dare I say a rich man's Shane Vereen of NE vintage. :oldunsure:

Lewis' floor isn't as low as I thought. Blount is still performing at a high very level. I guess I was thinking (foolishly hoping) that Blount would come back down to earth some this season. I thought that talent of Lewis would win out a larger chunk of running game, but Blount is too good at what he does. The fumbles also probably contributed to it, or not.

Lewis is still PPR gold, but I have adjusted my expectation in standard scoring to mid to low RB2, or dare I say a rich man's Shane Vereen of NE vintage. :oldunsure:
I think your 1st thought was your best thought. You are giving a lot more credit to Blount than what may be due. Blount's biggest impacts have been against a thoroughly whipped, poor Jags team and the Colts who, as we all know, can't run defend to save their lives.

It would mean more to me if it were against a team known to run defend well. Ask yourself this: Patriots vs. Panthers...which RB is used more/more productive?

I still think Lewis' floor will prove to be double-digit points in PPR. I would not be surprised if we look back at the end of the season and Week 6 proved to be an outlier.

I think your 1st thought was your best thought. You are giving a lot more credit to Blount than what may be due. Blount's biggest impacts have been against a thoroughly whipped, poor Jags team and the Colts who, as we all know, can't run defend to save their lives.

It would mean more to me if it were against a team known to run defend well. Ask yourself this: Patriots vs. Panthers...which RB is used more/more productive?
I'm just saying that Blount isn't going anywhere and has played his way into most of the carries. Perhaps this was obvious to some, but I was actively arguing the opposite.

I'm still very much on board, mainly because of talent level and his snap counts. He's a must start in PPR, but in standard he's more RB2/Flex for a good team.

Blount is one of the better power running backs in the league. They'll always be a place for a guy like that in a high powered offense. Lewis is a far more versatile weapon and makes a great offense even more dangerous. Given their distinct roles I don't really think they cannibalize eachother as much as people seem to think. By now everyone should realize that Bill Bellichick and his staff have always adapted his offenses around the players he has at the time. No one should get too hung up and what his past offenses looked liked. During his tenure he's had caretaker quarterbacks leading run based offenses, high flying deep passing games, two tight end base offenses, big back/small back, etc. etc.

Lewis is a player unique to himself.

I'm just saying that Blount isn't going anywhere and has played his way into most of the carries. Perhaps this was obvious to some, but I was actively arguing the opposite.

I'm still very much on board, mainly because of talent level and his snap counts. He's a must start in PPR, but in standard he's more RB2/Flex for a good team.
I was one arguing against you but I do really like them both. Lewis is a better, more versatile back than I thought and I think even in a standard league is a high end RB2. Blount will get his too especially since the Patriots will be winning (handily) in most games by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. Both are solid starters in standard leagues.

Lewis floor is as high as you thought it was. When he is healthy, which unfortunately he's not and not sure for how much longer and I'm worried about it.

Everyone I've spoke with in last few days seems to be making the same conclusion, which is I feel is the wrong one.. That Lewis poor game had to do with gameflow or Blount's history against the Colts. It seemed clearly evident to me Lewis was heavily limited by his abdominal injury. Watch Lewis first few games, read up impact of abdominal injury to ability to cut/stop/bend and then watch Lewis against the Colts. Seems clearly, and I mean clearly evident the injury is impacting him.

Lewis is not Shane Vereen, he's so much more and his usage when healthy is not of the scattershot Vereen type of usage. He's not a bellcow either so Blount's role will be needed but when he's healthy he's not going to disappear from games like Vereen would from time to time.

I think your 1st thought was your best thought. You are giving a lot more credit to Blount than what may be due. Blount's biggest impacts have been against a thoroughly whipped, poor Jags team and the Colts who, as we all know, can't run defend to save their lives. It would mean more to me if it were against a team known to run defend well. Ask yourself this: Patriots vs. Panthers...which RB is used more/more productive?
I'm just saying that Blount isn't going anywhere and has played his way into most of the carries. Perhaps this was obvious to some, but I was actively arguing the opposite.I'm still very much on board, mainly because of talent level and his snap counts. He's a must start in PPR, but in standard he's more RB2/Flex for a good team.
Lewis floor is as high as you thought it was. When he is healthy, which unfortunately he's not and not sure for how much longer and I'm worried about it.

Everyone I've spoke with in last few days seems to be making the same conclusion, which is I feel is the wrong one.. That Lewis poor game had to do with gameflow or Blount's history against the Colts. It seemed clearly evident to me Lewis was heavily limited by his abdominal injury. Watch Lewis first few games, read up impact of abdominal injury to ability to cut/stop/bend and then watch Lewis against the Colts. Seems clearly, and I mean clearly evident the injury is impacting him.

Lewis is not Shane Vereen, he's so much more and his usage when healthy is not of the scattershot Vereen type of usage. He's not a bellcow either so Blount's role will be needed but when he's healthy he's not going to disappear from games like Vereen would from time to time.
I think this is a good post, but I remember at least 1 play from the Indy game where he made a great cut; In don't think the injury impacted him on that play. Maybe he aggravated it, but I don't think they leave him in to pass block if he's not 100% whwn Blount could have filled that role.

Not sure what to make of Lewis' role tomorrow vs the jets.

Is the abdominal injury something really limiting him? Or was it game script last week? He played more snaps than Blount but Brady didn't look for him all that much.

Limited practices all week. Facing a ferocious defense. I originally thought the jets were vulnerable to pass catching RBS. But then I just read that they are only allowing about 3 receptions for 27 yards per game to RBS. That's not much.

The jets also seem to always play me tight and frustrate Brady.

This week might be a second let down in a row for Lewis owners. Perhaps he's a decent flex play in ppr. But he doesn't vault back to fringe rb1 numbers until next week?

I'm considering swapping him out for dgb who I think is about to get a full compliment of starters snaps with hairy Douglas out. And mettenberger likes to sling it. And tenn likely will be playing from behind all game.

Risky move, but I'm feeling like Lewis had a low ceiling this week.

Is the abdominal injury something really limiting him? Or was it game script last week? He played more snaps than Blount but Brady didn't look for him all that much.

Limited practices all week. Facing a ferocious defense. I originally thought the jets were vulnerable to pass catching RBS. But then I just read that they are only allowing about 3 receptions for 27 yards per game to RBS. That's not much.

This week might be a second let down in a row for Lewis owners. Perhaps he's a decent flex play in ppr. But he doesn't vault back to fringe rb1 numbers until next week?

I'm considering swapping him out for dgb who I think is about to get a full compliment of starters snaps with hairy Douglas out. And mettenberger likes to sling it. And tenn likely will be playing from behind all game.

After watching NYJ I have no doubt that they're stout but look at who they've played, I don't think they've faced a RB with Lewis's skill set who has also been utilized correctly all year.

Week 1 they played CLE and that game was a mess. CLE got pushed around in the trenches and Crowell kept running straight into bodies. Duke Johnson wasn't a thing yet.

Week 2 they faced Gore before he remembered how to play football again.

Week 3 Mathews actually ran on them (25/108) with Murray hurt and caught 2 balls for 20 and a TD.

Week 4 they faced Miller in London while he was still being misused by Philbin.

Week 6 they faced a WAS team without Jones. Morris continued to look like ####, Thompson drew 10 targets.

I'm not trying to take away all of the credit but IMO they've faced some very suspect run games. Really, all I'm worried about is the injury.

Yeah, but which RBs have the Jets faced?

Dion is a premiere pass catcher, a de facto WR who also gets some carries.

If Edelman ends up on Revis Island, Dion could be the beneficiary. It also doesn't feel like a Blount game.

I'd be more concerned with the injury than usage.

After watching NYJ I have no doubt that they're stout but look at who they've played, I don't think they've faced a RB with Lewis's skill set who has also been utilized correctly all year.

Week 1 they played CLE and that game was a mess. CLE got pushed around in the trenches and Crowell kept running straight into bodies. Duke Johnson wasn't a thing yet.

Week 2 they faced Gore before he remembered how to play football again.

Week 3 Mathews actually ran on them (25/108) with Murray hurt and caught 2 balls for 20 and a TD.

Week 4 they faced Miller in London while he was still being misused by Philbin.

Week 6 they faced a WAS team without Jones. Morris continued to look like ####, Thompson drew 10 targets.

I'm not trying to take away all of the credit but IMO they've faced some very suspect run games. Really, all I'm worried about is the injury.
I get what you're saying, and I'm more worried about the injury than the Jets, too.

That being said, if you're going to take away "some" credit from the Jets because of who they faced, then you have to take away "some" of the credit from Lewis because of the teams he's faced.

Dallas and Jax are in the bottom five versus opposing RBs (ppr scoring), and Indy is in the bottom 1/2.

Pitt and Buff are both top-12 against RBs.

But with Pitt, they played the SF cluster**** of an offense & StL in Gurley's 1st week back, when he only got a handful of plays. In their other 3 games, you had Lewis doing great in week 1, but Melvin Gordon did just as good, and Danny Woodhead did almost as good as Lewis. Pitt bottled up Arizona's RB, but they still got 4 passes for 60 yards.

With Buff, they stopped the Colts, but as you point out, that was "before Gore remembered how to play football again." They also stopped Lamar Miller, but again, as you pointed out that was "while he was still being misused by Philbin." In their other 4 games, they gave up an average of 26.1 points to opposing RBs.

That being said, Lewis' injury would be my biggest concern. Any news/thoughts about whether he's still "hurt," or they are just limiting him in practice as a precaution?

You are asking the wrong questions. Of course the injury limited him. The question that remains is for how long?

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 17

DION LEWIS @Patriots questionable/LP with abdominal injury. Core muscle (rectus, oblique), may be difficult to play through. @BenVolin

.@wiscy14 Only guessing as no details of Dion Lewis injury but likely limited if plays.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 18

David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Kevin Blayne

Abdomen can be a big issue for availability and effectiveness. Not enough info to know how real it is. #DionLewis

Those tweets were before the game against the Colts.

1. David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 19
    David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Mike Reiss

Abdomen, as a core muscle, will affect player to the core.

David J. Chao, MD added,

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss For fantasy footballers: RB Dion Lewis, perhaps affected by abdomen, didn't seem to have same explosiveness last night. Next game: vs. NYJ.

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 20

David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Dan P

Don't know extent or specific muscle. Could recover without rest, but sometimes accelerated by being shut down.

Dan P @dan19790 @ProFootballDoc Thank you for all the great info. How long does an abdomen injury take to heal? Can Dion Lewis recover without rest?

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 21 David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Lucas Davenport

Core muscle injuries don't magically disappear in one week. #Abdomen @DionLewisRB @Patriots

You are asking the wrong questions. Of course the injury limited him. The question that remains is for how long?

DION LEWIS @Patriots questionable/LP with abdominal injury. Core muscle (rectus, oblique), may be difficult to play through. @BenVolin

.@wiscy14 Only guessing as no details of Dion Lewis injury but likely limited if plays.

Abdomen can be a big issue for availability and effectiveness. Not enough info to know how real it is. #DionLewis

David J. Chao, MD added,

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss For fantasy footballers: RB Dion Lewis, perhaps affected by abdomen, didn't seem to have same explosiveness last night. Next game: vs. NYJ.

Don't know extent or specific muscle. Could recover without rest, but sometimes accelerated by being shut down.

Dan P @dan19790 @ProFootballDoc Thank you for all the great info. How long does an abdomen injury take to heal? Can Dion Lewis recover without rest?

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc Oct 21 David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Lucas Davenport

Core muscle injuries don't magically disappear in one week. #Abdomen @DionLewisRB @Patriots

Thanks for posting this.

Wasn't Reiss the same guy who said (before the Indy game) that he didn't think Lewis would be limited/affected by the injury at all? Or that he "wasn't worried/concerned?" Not sure if it was him or not.

ETA-never mind, realized after I posted that those tweets were not actually from Reiss, just re-tweets.

Wish they had been available before the Indy game.

Do we think he'll still be limited by the injury?

Last edited by a moderator:

David J. Chao, MD added,

Thanks for posting this.

Wasn't Reiss the same guy who said (before the Indy game) that he didn't think Lewis would be limited/affected by the injury at all? Or that he "wasn't worried/concerned?" Not sure if it was him or not.

ETA-never mind, realized after I posted that those tweets were not actually from Reiss, just re-tweets.

Wish they had been available before the Indy game.

Do we think he'll still be limited by the injury?
Last week Riess said something along the lines of he should be ok "as of now". Which eased my concerns.

Then last Saturday I started reading Chao's comments(and by the way he's an awesome follow who has been pretty spot on this year with his injury reports) and I started to get really worried. Felt what I saw from the Lewis Sunday night confirmed the limited diagnosis.

Do I think he'll still be limited by the injury? Yes, I just wish I knew for how long or even if it's a gradual week to week better thing.

I own Lewis a ton and really huge on him which is why I've been all over this. I directly ask Dr. Chao how long it would impact him but got no answer. I googled the injury and basically it can take weeks or months if re-aggravated. You can take that as good news or bad news. The optimist will say if re-aggravation was an issue the Patriots would not risk it, and one thing Dr. Chao said and what I read on the injury all indicated that rest was best cure so again if you want to be positive about it the fact he's playing and not resting could indicate it's fairly minor and could be a quick recovery. The pessimistic angle is he looked limited, they don't have a bye week, they are not giving him his rest, and I worry it could linger all or most of the season and meet the "months' timeline. Also re-aggravation and failure to rest to allow healing can lead to surgery.

This is a Lewis game all the way. I think NE went out of their way to protect his injury last week anticipating the need for him this week.

45 rush

5 for 60 rec.

1 td

This is a Lewis game all the way. I think NE went out of their way to protect his injury last week anticipating the need for him this week.

45 rush

5 for 60 rec.

1 td
So his 2nd best game, ever? Dealing with an injury, limited all week in practice, and against the hardest run defense in the league?

I hope you're right, but those seem like ambitious projections.

every forum, message board, and podcast on the interwebz will tell you he is a low end RB1, but i still cant get anything better than a WR3 for him in trade...

every forum, message board, and podcast on the interwebz will tell you he is a low end RB1, but i still cant get anything better than a WR3 for him in trade...
Someone is offering me Amari Cooper + CJ Spiller for Lewis (I also own Ingram).

It's non PPR. I am tempted to do it but Lewis is locked in as my RB#3 and I have Odell Beckham, Steve Smith & TY Hilton so I don't feel I really need Cooper.

I've been offered a (late) first round pick in one league which I rejected. I offered him for an (early, 4-5?) first in another and was shot down.

Bayhawks said:
Futz said:

45 rush

5 for 60 rec.

1 td
So his 2nd best game, ever? Dealing with an injury, limited all week in practice, and against the hardest run defense in the league?

In PPR, he's projecting Lewis for the 4th worst game of his entire NFL career as a starter. Seems pessimistic, if anything.

Bayhawks said:
Futz said:

45 rush

5 for 60 rec.

1 td

In PPR, he's projecting Lewis for the 4th worst game of his entire NFL career as a starter. Seems pessimistic, if anything.
How so? :confused: Admittedly, I'm used to non-PPR, so I missed the Dallas game in my previous post, but I'm showing him projecting 21.5 points. Lewis has only bettered that total against Buffalo and Dallas this year. So he's projecting his 3rd best game of his career, while injured, limited all week in practice, and facing the best defense (ff-speaking) against the run.

Still seems ambitious to me.

Count me in the camp as being more worried about the injury than the Jets. Given NYJ's strength against the run (2nd overall in the league, I believe), I see this more of a problem for Blount. Gameplan almost needs Dion being used out of the backfield a lot, using the short game to open up the mid and long passing game.

Seems the kind of injury Lewis has is a lingering one. The fact that they limited him all week in practice may point to it affecting him more than we'd like, or maybe its just saving him for what will be a hard-fought divisional game.

Either way, hope the abdominal injury is something that responds to more rest. Otherwise we could be looking at the same kind of game he had last week.

Traded him off for Gurley in redraft. Have Lynch and Freeman already so liked the trio better with Gurley. Packaged in Matthews to the trade which is fine because I have been trying to trade him off for like 3 weeks with no bites in 12 teamer.

I don't know.. I re-watched his touches vs. IND and he didn't look blatantly injured to me, just underutilized. I'm not saying he's not injured but just looking at his gains of 8,12 and 7 from last week and I think he can still be effective; the shiftiness was still there.

This is from Adam Schefter on my Facebook feed:

Patriots RB Dion Lewis does not expect to play vs Jets due to abdomen injury, though team wants to test him one more time before final call.

This is from Adam Schefter on my Facebook feed:

Patriots RB Dion Lewis does not expect to play vs Jets due to abdomen injury, though team wants to test him one more time before final call.
Saw this on his Twitter feed as well - now I'm forced to spot start Charcandrick :bag:

I think we'll see a heavy passing attack. I don't expect a lot of rush attempts into that front four, and I don't see them bringing in white and expecting him to replace Lewis. Revis is expected to shadow Edelman. At 6'2" that puts Cromartie on gronk, who should be fine with that. I'd expect one of Amendola, lafell and keshawn to have a big game along with him. With the Jets pass rush, it's hard to get a lot of long developing plays, so of the three I like Amendola to have a bigger than average day. And maybe gostkowski. Overall I don't expect a ton of scoring.

This makes my decision so much easier. With this news I'm confident that even if he does play he is truly not even close to 100%. To the bench for dgb.

I actually hope they rest him. Let him get right for next week.

This makes my decision so much easier. With this news I'm confident that even if he does play he is truly not even close to 100%. To the bench for dgb.

I actually hope they rest him. Let him get right for next week.
They play on Thursday night so he might even miss two weeks.

Balls. Now I might have to force feed Yeldon @ 930a without completely knowing if he'll play @ 100pm. FN London games.

This is disappointing. I may have to go with Spiller today. Bradshaw is sitting on the WW and I know some on the board think he will be good here out. Is Bradshaw worth a flyer?

Curious if Bloom, Dodds, Tremblay are going to update their projections for J. White.

I can't see Blount running into the wall all day vs NYJ.

Could see White catching 5-6 balls easily.

I wonder if they go 4 te a bunch today. OK, your strength is your day line and your corners? We'll put extra blockers in to nullify your d line and if you want to keep Revis in there, good luck matching him up with our 6'6" tight ends.

Users who are viewing this thread