What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

my question is not about now, but about next year. I think it will be too hard to guess BB's thinking week in and week out re: the cast of RB he has to use or not use.

I was planning on Lewis being on of my keepers in a 2-player Keeper league, but knowing that it will take 9-12 months to fully recover, I don't think he's roster-able especially given BB unpredictability at the RB position. what are others' thoughts on Lewis in 2016?

If he recovers well, which nowadays seems more likely than not - and is ready to play before preseason week 1, I guarantee he will walk back into his role.

James White is gonna have a hell of an opportunity that he absolutely hasn't earned, even if he proves himself viable, unless he way outperforms expectations he will be the #2 at the start of next year.

my question is not about now, but about next year. I think it will be too hard to guess BB's thinking week in and week out re: the cast of RB he has to use or not use.

I was planning on Lewis being on of my keepers in a 2-player Keeper league, but knowing that it will take 9-12 months to fully recover, I don't think he's roster-able especially given BB unpredictability at the RB position. what are others' thoughts on Lewis in 2016?
I'm in the same boat. I was going to have to choose between M. Bryant (10th), K . Benjamin (7th), Diggs (TBD) and Lewis (TBD) in a keep 2, start 3 WR, PPR league. Clearly, we have an IR spot but I already have Benjamin occupying it. I also really need the bench space. I'm completely stumped.

Deamon said:
squistion said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

A month ago, #Patriots RB Dion Lewis signed a 2-year deal worth up to $5M. That looms large now. Never wouldve gotten it coming off an ACL
How much was guaranteed?
None. He signed a 2 year extension with a 600k signing bonus, 800k 2016 salary, 1.2M 2017 salary. Another $1.8M in escalators, not sure if he hit any this year. Kind of doubtful given how early we are still. $585k salary this year to be paid, of course, so he will earn almost $1.2M this year, but he's got no guarantee going forward. No real dead money to anchor him either.
That's such a bargain he'll be fine, he's not getting cut. He just needs to show some progress in camp next season and he's good to go at that pay, he's a difference maker and that's cheap even by RB standards.

The other bad part I just realized what a big story he might next August as we'll likely be all left to guess when he's gong to be active. I see big potential for the Gronk fiasco of early 2013 playing out here for fantasy owners.
Yeah, probably, but since this IS the Pats, if he doesn't show progress, they could cut him to save the $2 Mill over 16/17.
if he recovers i dount that is the case. i think the patriots know what they have in him. he makes a difference.
If he recovers, then what I said didn't happen. I said, "if he doesn't show progress."

It's November; not everyone is ADP. There's a real possibility he won't be ready by TC, or week 1. If that's the case, or if he suffers any setback, they could decide to cut bait & save the money.

If he recovers well, which nowadays seems more likely than not - and is ready to play before preseason week 1, I guarantee he will walk back into his role.

James White is gonna have a hell of an opportunity that he absolutely hasn't earned, even if he proves himself viable, unless he way outperforms expectations he will be the #2 at the start of next year.
Gurley tore his ACL around the same time last year, and wasn't able to play until week 3 of the REGULAR season. Why can we expect Lewis to be able to recover almost 2 months faster?

Gurley tore his ACL around the same time last year, and wasn't able to play until week 3 of the REGULAR season. Why can we expect Lewis to be able to recover almost 2 months faster?
Two different qualifiers for two different things. I was saying if he recovers well from his injury which today seems more likely than not. Secondly if he is ready to play going into preseason he will walk on to his old job.

I think players are recovering quicker and better from knee ligament injuries these days.

Two different qualifiers for two different things. I was saying if he recovers well from his injury which today seems more likely than not. Secondly if he is ready to play going into preseason he will walk on to his old job.I think players are recovering quicker and better from knee ligament injuries these days.
"These days?" Gurleys injury wasn't 2 decades ago, it was last year. I don't think medical technology has advanced that much in 1 year.I think its WAY too soon to expect him to be ready by 1st preseason game; that's TWO MONTHS faster than Gurley was able to recover; with Lewis' game being built more around his sudden start/stop ability, I'd expect it to take MORE time to recover, not less.

Two different qualifiers for two different things. I was saying if he recovers well from his injury which today seems more likely than not. Secondly if he is ready to play going into preseason he will walk on to his old job.I think players are recovering quicker and better from knee ligament injuries these days.
"These days?" Gurleys injury wasn't 2 decades ago, it was last year. I don't think medical technology has advanced that much in 1 year.I think its WAY too soon to expect him to be ready by 1st preseason game; that's TWO MONTHS faster than Gurley was able to recover; with Lewis' game being built more around his sudden start/stop ability, I'd expect it to take MORE time to recover, not less.
Jesus christ man, I specifically said two different things, and clarified in the second post.

For the third time, I think he will recover well. End of first opinion.

I think if his recovery is done by preseason he will walk on. End of second opinion.

I'm not pretending to profess anything, you need to slow your reading down or something you attempted to put words in my mouth twice, once after ####### clarifying exactly what I meant.?

You're trying to argue a point no one is contending, I was offering my opinion on a question asked, specifically what to expect Lewis's role to be next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus christ man, I specifically said two different things, and clarified in the second post.For the third time, I think he will recover well. End of first opinion.

I think if his recovery is done by preseason he will walk on. End of second opinion.

I'm not pretending to profess anything, you need to slow your reading down or something you attempted to put words in my mouth twice, once after ####### clarifying exactly what I meant.?

You're trying to argue a point no one is contending, I was offering my opinion on a question asked, specifically what to expect Lewis's role to be next year.
Whose question are you trying to answer? Maybe you should try slowing your reading down, & try reading my post that YOU 1st replied to? I specifically said IF he didn't show progress, NE could decide to cut him. YOU then replied "if he's ready to go by preseason game one, that won't happen." No ####- that would have him recovering 2 months faster than is normal, so that would preclude any setbacks. YOU began by arguing a point nobody was making. I'm just pointing out that your "knee injuries heal faster today" comment doesn't make sense, b/c there haven't been enough advances (that I'm aware of) to expect him recovering him to recover that fast. Could he have an ADP type recovery? Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion? Absolutely not.

Sad day. First, I had to pull this thread off of page 2 to post in it. Second, I came here to report that I just made an offer to an out-of-the-hunt team to give him Lewis' keeper rights (he can be had next year for the value of the 15th RB off the board) in exchange for.....wait for it....wait for it.......a KICKER!!! That's right, I am trying to trade Dion Lewis' rights (he can decide in late August if Lewis is worth keeping) for S. Gostkowski.

This would be the first ever one-for-one trade involving a kicker in the 15 year history of this league.

So, so sad :(

Jesus christ man, I specifically said two different things, and clarified in the second post.For the third time, I think he will recover well. End of first opinion.

Whose question are you trying to answer? Maybe you should try slowing your reading down, & try reading my post that YOU 1st replied to? I specifically said IF he didn't show progress, NE could decide to cut him. YOU then replied "if he's ready to go by preseason game one, that won't happen." No ####- that would have him recovering 2 months faster than is normal, so that would preclude any setbacks. YOU began by arguing a point nobody was making. I'm just pointing out that your "knee injuries heal faster today" comment doesn't make sense, b/c there haven't been enough advances (that I'm aware of) to expect him recovering him to recover that fast. Could he have an ADP type recovery? Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion? Absolutely not.
Why are you often in these type of exchanges?

Relax.

Didn't Welker tear his ACL in a January game and then play on opening day like 8 months later? Lewis is 25 which I think is younger than WW was at the time. I think Lewis works his butt off to be ready before opening day.

Looked it up, He tore his acl and mcl on 1/4/10 and on 9/12/10 caught 8 passes for 64 yards and 2 scores.

Wes was about 28 or so at the time.

Didn't Welker tear his ACL in a January game and then play on opening day like 8 months later? Lewis is 25 which I think is younger than WW was at the time. I think Lewis works his butt off to be ready before opening day.

Looked it up, He tore his acl and mcl on 1/4/10 and on 9/12/10 caught 8 passes for 64 yards and 2 scores.

This is true, and Welker, similar to Lewis was a player who relied on his quickness to be successful.

Important to note that Welker's 2010 season was, by far, his poorest season in NE. Fewest catches, lowest YPR. He was just "a guy" that season, not the WR1 he was in 2009, or in 2011.

Why are you often in these type of exchanges?

Relax.
I'm relaxed, thanks for the advice, though.

This is true, and Welker, similar to Lewis was a player who relied on his quickness to be successful.Important to note that Welker's 2010 season was, by far, his poorest season in NE. Fewest catches, lowest YPR. He was just "a guy" that season, not the WR1 he was in 2009, or in 2011.
True but Lewis will have 2 additional months and is 3 years younger and even though I don't think the procedure has changed much, I am sure it has improved a little since 2010. Obviously none of us know how this will turn out, but I think he will play week 1 unless he has a set back during his recovery. Another difference between Gurley and Lewis is that Lewis is in the pros and Gurley was a student, Lewis will dedicate his life to recovery and no student could do that or have the level of trainers to help him.

Um, have we heard any details about Lewis' injury? Not all ACL tears are the same.

There are a bunch of variables at play. No way to determine at this point, with incomplete info, what Lewis' recovery timeline will be.

This is true, and Welker, similar to Lewis was a player who relied on his quickness to be successful.Important to note that Welker's 2010 season was, by far, his poorest season in NE. Fewest catches, lowest YPR. He was just "a guy" that season, not the WR1 he was in 2009, or in 2011.
True but Lewis will have 2 additional months and is 3 years younger and even though I don't think the procedure has changed much, I am sure it has improved a little since 2010. Obviously none of us know how this will turn out, but I think he will play week 1 unless he has a set back during his recovery. Another difference between Gurley and Lewis is that Lewis is in the pros and Gurley was a student, Lewis will dedicate his life to recovery and no student could do that or have the level of trainers to help him.
Gurley was in the SEC I bet they pay more money than the pros on trainers and medical staff, anyone crunch the numbers?

I hope he makes it back and returns to form quickly too. But, while it's nice that Wes Welker made it back (and I doubt Gurley wasn't putting all of his time and effort into rehab), there are dozens of examples of players tearing their ACL and not being ready to play 10 months later. Your posts come off as more wishful thinking than anything.

I thought this was an interesting article. Some quotes:

"When it comes to running the ball, Lewis ranked 8th out of 105 qualifying backs with regards to value added. White ranked a shocking 103rd."

"But what about the passing game? numberFire says that White's been the third best receiving back of the past decade. Not just this year- but over the past ten seasons. Lewis is no slouch, though, as he ranks as the 9th best over the past decade."

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/1/13/10764206/james-white-dion-lewis

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/7381/james-white-hasn-t-filled-the-void-left-by-dion-lewis-injury#

Taken from the article above ...

Lewis' ValueLewis combines being a solid receiving threat with being an incredible rushing threat, to a degree you don't often see. It went a little bit overlooked, partially because of the "you can't trust a New England running back" narrative, but Lewis was on a truly elite pace. Just in terms of raw numbers, he was on a 16-game pace for 535 rushing yards, 887 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. Only three times in the last 10 years has a back managed 500-plus rushing yards and 800-plus receiving yards in the same season.

The key take is that Lewis offers a very rare versatility.

It's a small sample size, but anybody that watches Lewis play knows what he is capable of if he can stay healthy. A truly special back. Looking forward to seeing him play again next season, even if its not right out of the gate.

mnmplayer said:
anybody that watches Lewis play knows what he is capable of if he can stay healthy.
And that's the rub. It's going to an interesting offseason for dynasty owners. If the Pats stand pat and don't address the position, that could mean good things for Lewis. If they bring in someone like Forte, it could be a disaster. One would think that Lewis will also be a bit slow out of the gate, as his game is predicated on his quickness and change of direction. I am holding though because of his upside, but I'm not supremely confident that he's a long term asset due to his injury history.

mnmplayer said:
anybody that watches Lewis play knows what he is capable of if he can stay healthy.
And that's the rub. It's going to an interesting offseason for dynasty owners. If the Pats stand pat and don't address the position, that could mean good things for Lewis. If they bring in someone like Forte, it could be a disaster. One would think that Lewis will also be a bit slow out of the gate, as his game is predicated on his quickness and change of direction. I am holding though because of his upside, but I'm not supremely confident that he's a long term asset due to his injury history.
I agree with you for the most part, but I dont think if they bring someone, vet or otherwise Lewis will lose his role.

Its true that he was the most versatile of the Faulk/Woodhead/Vereens they've had. But I don't think the NE offense functions like that anymore - maybe if Mcdaniels leaves they have a change in philosophy. But White is a liability, and Lewis just makes the offense too good to take off the field.

mnmplayer said:
I agree with you for the most part, but I dont think if they bring someone, vet or otherwise Lewis will lose his role.

Its true that he was the most versatile of the Faulk/Woodhead/Vereens they've had. But I don't think the NE offense functions like that anymore - maybe if Mcdaniels leaves they have a change in philosophy. But White is a liability, and Lewis just makes the offense too good to take off the field.
If he's healthy he's an immense difference maker.

It's like a Patriots beat writer said a few weeks ago. White and Amendola are nice players but the difference in those two versus Lewis and Edelman is those two take time to get open while Lewis and Edelman do it so quickly and that's critical to Brady.

Let's assume Lewis comes back 100% healthy quick and fast next year.

I would imagine the Pats use him a lot less and attempt to have him healthy for the playoffs. He is an absolute PERFECT fit for that offense, but maybe the most injury prone guy out there.

Not good for fantasy purposes. He will likely be pretty overvalued next year.

I would imagine the Pats use him a lot less and attempt to have him healthy for the playoffs. He is an absolute PERFECT fit for that offense, but maybe the most injury prone guy out there.

I'd love to hear even one example of this happening prior to having a top seed secured.

ghostguy123 said:

Half of the starting running backs this season showed themselves to be "injury prone". Draft talent/opportunity. Injuries are a crapshoot.

Lewis is a little fella and has a serious injury every year. Just sayin
I don't think size is overly relative to injuries and for sure had zero do with a non-contact ACL but he has had an injury marred career so in terms of should he carry the high injury risk label I think he absolutely should.

He is not a 20 carry pound the rock guy and I don't think high usage has led to his injuries so if and when he's healthy I see no drop in his usage in order to save him for later. But there is always the chance it works out to where he's not ready to start the season and gets put on PUP which would give him all the rest he needs and to your point if they think he might be ready by week 3 or 4 it's possible they PUP him anyway to save the roster spot and make 100% sure he's ready to go.

Lewis is a little fella and has a serious injury every year. Just sayin
How has his size contributed to the (leg) injuries he's had thus far?
Small tendons???

He gets hurt a lot. I don't think he will be used the same going forward, not until more meaningful games. Just my opinion. He is like a little cheat code that should only be used for special occasions.
All games are meaningful until you lock up home field advantage, so there goes that idea.

And he may be injury prone, lots of players appear to be. Then again lots of players start their careers injury prone but then stop being injury prone. It's a violent sport, sometimes #### just happens.

Normally i agree. Just not with Lewis
Seems arbitrary but okay.
Well, I think he actually IS injury prone.

Generally I do not believe the vast majority of players are.

Not really trying to talk anyone into agreeing with me. I can't give facts and analysis to back up this opinion, but it's my opinion. I was saying it before he got hurt this last time when he was with Cleveland. His latest injury didn't exactly change my mind.

Just for fun:

If you had started Dion Lewis the first 9 weeks of the season and James White the last 8 weeks of the season, the combination would have combined to rank as RB7 in PPR... despite Lewis missing a game, (meaning the duo played 15 games instead of 16). If your backup RB scored just 2.9 PPR points in the week Dion missed, the "New England Receiving RB duo" would have given you the #5 fantasy RB on the year in PPR.

Yeah, if he's healthy, he's an RB1.

Just for fun:

If you had started Dion Lewis the first 9 weeks of the season and James White the last 8 weeks of the season, the combination would have combined to rank as RB7 in PPR... despite Lewis missing a game, (meaning the duo played 15 games instead of 16). If your backup RB scored just 2.9 PPR points in the week Dion missed, the "New England Receiving RB duo" would have given you the #5 fantasy RB on the year in PPR.

I am a fan of his talent, but the fact that White stepped in without much, if any, drop in production kind of worries me a bit.

Just for fun:

I am a fan of his talent, but the fact that White stepped in without much, if any, drop in production kind of worries me a bit.
White didn't do anything as a runner

Just for fun:

White didn't do anything as a runner
Pats 7 games with Lewis: 35.14 PPG

Pats 9 games w/o Lewis: 24.33 PPG

Lewis averaged 17.50 PPG in PPR - averaged 12.14 touches per week.

White averaged 13.74 PPG in PPR over the last 8 weeks after Dion was hurt. He had a 5 game scoring streak - pretty amazing FF points average on just 48 touches (6.0 per game down the stretch.)

Just for fun:

A little misleading because Edelman was also out. The three games White and Edelman both played (that Lewis did not) White was not worth using (wk 7/10/19). I have thought whether it was worth investing to get White as a handcuff and decided not. I think the chance the Pats replace Blount with a better all around RB also limits White's value.

White's only 100 total yard game was the game they were behind PHI by 3 TDs and he got 10 rec. Whereas Lewis had 4 almost 5 out of 9. White's value is receptions and TDs. Lewis' is yards and yac as well.

Pats 7 games with Lewis: 35.14 PPG

Pats 9 games w/o Lewis: 24.33 PPG
The Pats were also missing Edelman and Gronk (for a few games) - and the o-line became even more decimated - during the second half of the season which likely was also a major reason for the drop in points.

But on the flipside of that, as thrifty pointed out, Edelman missing time probably also helped White's production look better since there were more targets available.

Just for fun:

A little misleading because Edelman was also out. The three games White and Edelman both played (that Lewis did not) White was not worth using (wk 7/10/19). I have thought whether it was worth investing to get White as a handcuff and decided not. I think the chance the Pats replace Blount with a better all around RB also limits White's value.

White's only 100 total yard game was the game they were behind PHI by 3 TDs and he got 10 rec. Whereas Lewis had 4 almost 5 out of 9. White's value is receptions and TDs. Lewis' is yards and yac as well.
Not misleading to me but then I also view Lewis as potential top 5 fantasy RB if he's healthy next season.

If you want to split hairs on per game production let's not forget Lewis was very limited one week with the ab injury(missed the next week after trying to push through it) and left his ACL game fairly early.

Those players being out did likely help White as you mentioned but Lewis gets his no matter what, well if he's healthy enough to get it anyway.

Good points on both sides of that discussion. We will never know but I am a day one guy of Lewis' that thinks he just has some intangible something that makes him pretty special. That scoring play against Dallas stays ingrained in my memory.

I dunno, I kind of think that had Lewis stayed healthy, he would have been top 3-4 in ppg and the Patriots likely would have been a 14-2 type of team because he was making everything click seamlessly when he was available.

Lewis' threat as a runner keeps the D more honest and also susceptible to biting on play-action, making Gronk and Edelman even more dangerous. Even if White is Lewis' equal as a receiver, the D can still overplay the pass against the entire offense.

Just for fun:

BB will go with the more versatile RB. White is not a threat. A more serious threat could come with a Blount type replacement that can also catch, but will worry about that when it happens. If anything White's production is more fuel for the fire to indicate Lewis is in a perfect position to produce Top RB5 numbers, as he is more productive than White in the same role.

White stepped in without much of a drop off?? Huh??
Lewis 622 total yards, 4TDs

White 466 total yards, 6TDs

Does that clear it up for you a bit? Lewis was better in the running game, but White performed just as well in the passing game. Lewis was more talented per the eyeball test, but White was just as effective.

Does that clear it up for you a bit? Lewis was better in the running game, but White performed just as well in the passing game. Lewis was more talented per the eyeball test, but White was just as effective.
Can we get the touch/snap/start numbers?
Was about equal, they were ranked 7th and 8th in PFF in yards per pass route run.

Is is true that statistically White managed to put together a season where their was no drop off from Lewis to him in the passing game. So if you want to take that info and argue White is just as good as Lewis in the passing game you have valid statistical argument to work with.

I will however not allow stats from a little over 50 targets per player to ignore what I'm seeing.

Can we get the touch/snap/start numbers?
Close to even - white had far less carries and a few more receptions. White didn't really start getting snaps until Lewis went down - so it was about seven games versus nine games.

By no means am I saying White is as good as Lewis. My main concern is that Brady and the system are good enough that any back in that role can be productive, which means those backs are somewhat replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread