What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (1 Viewer)

I think he's definitely better than Cadet, and showed better in preseason as well. So I don't think there's any question who the receiving RB will be (as long as he performs well). The thing is predicting the game script...when will the Pats be dumping it off to the RB? That's what you have to figure out to feel good about him in your lineup.
I think Lewis is a better overall player, but I think Cadet is the better receiver. I'd be worried that Cadet made the team without playing if I were looking to buy Lewis.
Agree, Cadet looked really good last year, and the Pats signed him immediatelly after failing to sign Spiller, the intent was clear.

I think he's definitely better than Cadet, and showed better in preseason as well. So I don't think there's any question who the receiving RB will be (as long as he performs well). The thing is predicting the game script...when will the Pats be dumping it off to the RB? That's what you have to figure out to feel good about him in your lineup.
I think Lewis is a better overall player, but I think Cadet is the better receiver. I'd be worried that Cadet made the team without playing if I were looking to buy Lewis.
Agree, Cadet looked really good last year, and the Pats signed him immediatelly after failing to sign Spiller, the intent was clear.
Yeah, even though I posted about Dion Lewis' upside being more than nothing, I have no idea who could be a Shane Vereen. I may do a pick up of some of these guys (Cadet, Lewis, Bolden and White went undrafted in 2 of my 3 short roster leagues and some in the 3rd with a larger roster size).

I see Dion Lewis easily fulfilling and perhaps even exceeding the Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen performances they put forth. He is a better and more complete and talented rb than both of them.

I picked Lewis up and am will be starting him tomorrow night in my flex spot, which is a revolving door right now. Was cautiously optimistic that he had 2013 Vereen PPR upside (11th in PPG).

But the fact that Cadet made the team after basically sitting out all of pre-season (and now practicing fully) along with the predictably undpredictable game script/ RB snaps from the Pats has brought me back to reality. I like his talent and hope to get some production out of him this year but not holding my breath.

I picked him up with a spot I had after dropping David Cobb. I figured if blows up tomorrow night I probably won't get him off waivers. If he doesn't do much in a few games I can use the roster spot elsewhere.

I picked him up with a spot I had after dropping David Cobb. I figured if blows up tomorrow night I probably won't get him off waivers. If he doesn't do much in a few games I can use the roster spot elsewhere.
exactly...a potential sell high candidate, particularly in PPR leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Bolden isn't getting the love he should.
I've never been too impressed with Bolden but maybe I should be. What do you like about him?
He's starting for the patriots.
For one game. Where the Pats will most likely rely heavily on the pass. I see NE even passing in the red zone and at the goal line to over emphasize the return of Brady at home in what will surely be a crazy home field environment.

And how funny would it be if the Pats presented a ball to the refs for inspection before the game at like 4 PSI?

I've never been too impressed with Bolden but maybe I should be. What do you like about him?
For one game. Where the Pats will most likely rely heavily on the pass. I see NE even passing in the red zone and at the goal line to over emphasize the return of Brady at home in what will surely be a crazy home field environment.And how funny would it be if the Pats presented a ball to the refs for inspection before the game at like 4 PSI?
Sure, only one game. But isn't that how we have to treat this backfield? Game by game basis?

For one game. Where the Pats will most likely rely heavily on the pass. I see NE even passing in the red zone and at the goal line to over emphasize the return of Brady at home in what will surely be a crazy home field environment.And how funny would it be if the Pats presented a ball to the refs for inspection before the game at like 4 PSI?
Sure, only one game. But isn't that how we have to treat this backfield? Game by game basis?
As soon as Blount is back, Bolden is a non-factor.

He won't outperform Blount on the ground or Lewis/Cadet in the air.

Unless you get points for special teams tackles and even then probably not.

As soon as Blount is back, Bolden is a non-factor.He won't outperform Blount on the ground or Lewis/Cadet in the air.

Unless you get points for special teams tackles and even then probably not.
I don't dispute any of that. But Blount isn't back now. Week one is up for grabs and I'm not sure Dion is the slam dunk folks seem to think.

pghrob said:
I see Dion Lewis easily fulfilling and perhaps even exceeding the Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen performances they put forth. He is a better and more complete and talented rb than both of them.
What? Where do some of these opinions come from? Dion Lewis was a 5th round pick in the same draft that Vereen was a 2nd round pick. Vereen has close to 2000 yards all with the same team that drafted him and signed a FA deal with the Giants. Dion Lewis has around 200 total yards and has been released multiple times and now is with team #4.

In what world would anyone say Dion Lewis is more complete and talented than Vereen? Do you think if Vereen was on the Pats right now that he wouldn't be ahead of Lewis?

Hilts said:
I don't dispute any of that. But Blount isn't back now. Week one is up for grabs and I'm not sure Dion is the slam dunk folks seem to think.
I'm not convinced yet either, but I don't think any of the NE RBs are worth starting Thursday, I'm starting Lewis in one deep start league out of necessity. The back I would least trust is Bolden.

Edit: benched Lewis for Scott Chandler, TE premium ppr.

Anarchy99 said:
Hilts said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Hilts said:
For one game. Where the Pats will most likely rely heavily on the pass. I see NE even passing in the red zone and at the goal line to over emphasize the return of Brady at home in what will surely be a crazy home field environment.

And how funny would it be if the Pats presented a ball to the refs for inspection before the game at like 4 PSI?
So if you had to guess, who has more value this week Cadet or Lewis?

Anarchy99 said:
Hilts said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Hilts said:

So if you had to guess, who has more value this week Cadet or Lewis?
Would bet either White or Cadet is inactive this week... trust Lewis more than both.

Slapdash said:
Is he worth a start week 1 or is Bolden the guy to roll out?
My thoughts are Dion Lewis should net about 12 points in ppr tomorrow night.

I am basing that on a combination of things.

Bolden's value to that team is truly Special teams and being able to fill the rb role in a pinch. He does both well.

The Patriots are missing a lot of their parts right now and given the style of Defense the Steelers play, I expect them to be making lots and lots of short passes and, by volume, some of that goes to the RBs, which Lewis and Cadet fill the role better than Bolden.

Given that Cadet hasn't really been involved so far, I think the Patriots will prefer to use the guys that have more reps in at this point.

Given that the Steelers offense will certainly carve up pieces of the Patriots defense that is a work in progress, I see the sustained need to keep throwing throughout the game (I don't see any scenario where the Patriots get up by 17 and then run the ball down the Steelers throat for a quarter).

Looking at 7-8 different likely outcomes, I think most of them point to Lewis being involved pretty well so a handful of catches and a handful of yards should get him to 12. A lot less of either BUT a TD in some fashion still gets him there.

I like him for that dozen or so tomorrow.

pghrob said:
What? Where do some of these opinions come from? Dion Lewis was a 5th round pick in the same draft that Vereen was a 2nd round pick. Vereen has close to 2000 yards all with the same team that drafted him and signed a FA deal with the Giants. Dion Lewis has around 200 total yards and has been released multiple times and now is with team #4.In what world would anyone say Dion Lewis is more complete and talented than Vereen? Do you think if Vereen was on the Pats right now that he wouldn't be ahead of Lewis?
I guess it would be my opinion going against the prevailing viewpoints and overlooking the facts, based predominantly on watching Lewis and how smooth he looks when playing. Granted he has not performed at the NFL level yet. I have a hunch when given the chance he will deliver. That's all I got in response to your justifiable skepticism.

Dion was better than Shady at Pitt. Wouldn't surprise me if he did well. Always liked his talent.

Not that anyone gives a ####, but just took him as a flier in the 21st round of a redraft and am starting him this week.

Not that anyone gives a ####, but just took him as a flier in the 21st round of a redraft and am starting him this week.
In a similar boat in a very deep bench 16 team IDP Dynasty where you have to start a ton. If he just grabs a few catches on 3rd downs and doesn't give me a goose egg I will be happy.

pghrob said:
This. Grab him before he has a big game tomorrow nite. He's poised to have a sneaky good year on a high powered offense. He's the best receiving backand IMHO the 2nd best runner on this team. Could be Kevin Faulk-like for them.

I picked him up off waivers and starting him also. I read somewhere on this board that he is the third round back. Brady is going to have to throw it to someone other than Gronk. If I can get 8+ I will be happy.

Dion was better than Shady at Pitt. Wouldn't surprise me if he did well. Always liked his talent.
Yes, my take too. As a Pitt alumnus I followed and watched both at collegiate level. Lewis was every bit as good as Shady McCoy.

A surprising lack of EBF in this thread, considering Lewis was one of his guys. Looks like he might be about to finally pay off.

so whats the consensus? Seems like the people talking cadet have cadet and the ones talking lewis have lewis? I have both as its deep benches and I'm debating on cutting one but don't know which. Im personally leaning towards Lewis but i have no clue with this backfield :shrug:

Ok I bit. Picked him up. Dropped James jones for him.

If he gets the start or is active tomorrow night I think he'll be a better start in my flex than Duke Johnson.

Thanks for the info guys!

Debating on starting Heath Miller or Deion Lewis as a flex. I'm going to roll the dice and go with Dion!!!! Too much upside.

i don't see how anyone can roster a NE rb. i have been burn to many times. lewis has a great game tonight, next week he will be benched. just to much of a headache.

picked him the 25th round of my draft......that's how I can roster him, lol-----going with instinct tonight....lots of points to be scored.

Should be a high scoring game. With Blount out and Cadet out, seems like a half way decent shot that Lewis should get some meaningful touches. Game on. :football:

Dion Lewis looks like a nice pickup for blokes in PPR. He sure was fun to watch at Pitt.

@MikeClayNFL

Just now on @SiriusXMFantasy - @E_Scal told me that Dion Lewis has won the Patriots passing-down RB job. Must-own in PPR.

@MikeClayNFL

New Dion Lewis projection: 56-220-2, 45-364-2 - Top 50 RB in standard, ~Top 40 in PPR. Go get em.
regardless of what happens the rest of the way, thanks one. A reminder of why this place is awesome

Users who are viewing this thread