What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

I don't want to single you out either, as I chuckled and enjoyed this post, but then how do you explain Rawls/Michael? Sometimes the coach just picks the best player when he wants to win. I realize this is oversimplification, and BB is not the HC of Seattle, but in fantasy AND real life, usually the best player is on the field ... USUALLY!

ETA: I know I know, Michael seems to be a head case and roster cancer, and might have been cut for other reasons, but the bolded still applies here.
How do you explain Collins, Jones, Mankins, Moss, Seymour, etc?

It would seem to make more sense to compare BB's history than to look at a difference coach's personnel decisions, IMO, and BB doesn't seem to let loyalty (or even immediate talent) impact his personnel decisions.  In many of the situations above, NE didn't have a more talented guy in place, but BB chose to utilize a "lesser talent."

Last edited by a moderator:
BB is BB.  He rarely gives us anything as far as what they are going to do.   He marched out D. Lewis last year in the 1st game & we knew NOTHING.  What, 7 games later & D. Lewis is in the top 3 RBs in fantasy(PPR)?

go figure.

It would seem to make more sense to compare BB's history than to look at a difference coach's personnel decisions, IMO, and BB doesn't seem to let loyalty (or even immediate talent) impact his personnel decisions.  In many of the situations above, NE didn't have a more talented guy in place, but BB chose to utilize a "lesser talent."
People were saying the same things last year before his breakout. We've heard all the BB rhetoric and how you can't trust a NE RB. Who was right last year? Ok, now it's this year. I'm willing to admit there is risk that Dion Lewis doesn't pan out like he did last year, but the cost of a late round pick, or a FA pickup is worth the risk. And it doesn't take a great imagination to see he has a good shot to do it again.

People were saying the same things last year before his breakout. We've heard all the BB rhetoric and how you can't trust a NE RB. Who was right last year? Ok, now it's this year. I'm willing to admit there is risk that Dion Lewis doesn't pan out like he did last year, but the cost of a late round pick, or a FA pickup is worth the risk. And it doesn't take a great imagination to see he has a good shot to do it again.
well yes.   He was picked up in every league I was in about 6 weeks ago.  Some drafted him & still have him.

I could see him being a FA pickup lottery back in leagues where he was dropped, but he wasn't a late round pick,his ADP was pretty high. 

he was a 6th round pick in one of my leagues, late 5th in the other. 

I could see him being a FA pickup lottery back in leagues where he was dropped, but he wasn't a late round pick,his ADP was pretty high. 

Before or after he had the setback? I drafted him after the setback and no way he was going in the 5th or 6th round, maybe before.

I agree those costs you mention are well worth the risk; I have a hard time believing there are many serious leagues where that is the cost of acquiring him.

Bayhawks said:
I agree those costs you mention are well worth the risk; I have a hard time believing there are many serious leagues where that is the cost of acquiring him.
True. I have him in all leagues so I haven't given it much thought, but what would it take for you to acquire him? This question is really for all... discuss

Bayhawks said:
It would seem to make more sense to compare BB's history than to look at a difference coach's personnel decisions, IMO, and BB doesn't seem to let loyalty (or even immediate talent) impact his personnel decisions. 
Then why would Belichek be "loyal" to White? Your logic can be used against you. Anyone who can see, can tell the difference in talent and ability. I've watched many NE games and it's obvious: White is serviceable; Lewis is a difference maker.

And Lewis can do more things better than White (like actually run the ball between the tackles), which gives the offense more flexibility. If Lewis physically performs like he did pre-injury, then he's going to play more than White. And it's because Belichek wants to win football games.

Healthy Lewis >>>> White, but

Healthy Lewis during the playoffs (or trying to secure home field) >>>> healthy Lewis during other reg season games.

He'll be eased in until he's healthy and needed. We may be close to both at this point. But it certainly won't be Belichick loyalty to Jaggy James that prevents Lewis from getting the receiving RB snaps. That at least, I feel sure of.

The way I see it, let him knock off the rust the next two weeks and hopefully he gets a larger workload come the fantasy playoffs. Given the comments teammates have made about him since he's come back from injury, this guy has the potential to win people championships. 

After NE's absolutely horrible offensive gameplan and playcalling that inexplicably had them pounding Blount over and over and playing it super conservative AND seeing Gronk go down with a 1-2 week injury, I'm going to guess that it's officially time to start warming up Mr. Lewis.

They need to be able to put more pressure on the opposing D's and Lewis can be that X factor.

There's no way NE is winning a super bowl pounding Blount into the line. Brady may as well go back to being suspended and let Jimmy G hand it off.

After NE's absolutely horrible offensive gameplan and playcalling that inexplicably had them pounding Blount over and over and playing it super conservative AND seeing Gronk go down with a 1-2 week injury, I'm going to guess that it's officially time to start warming up Mr. Lewis.

They need to be able to put more pressure on the opposing D's and Lewis can be that X factor.

There's no way NE is winning a super bowl pounding Blount into the line. Brady may as well go back to being suspended and let Jimmy G hand it off.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but hasn't Blount had some pretty HUGE games in the playoffs the last couple years?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but hasn't Blount had some pretty HUGE games in the playoffs the last couple years?
Feast or famine. 314 yards rushing and 7 TD in two games. 47 yards rushing on 22 carries and 0 TD in three other games

Healthy Lewis >>>> White, but

Healthy Lewis during the playoffs (or trying to secure home field) >>>> healthy Lewis during other reg season games.

He'll be eased in until he's healthy and needed. We may be close to both at this point. But it certainly won't be Belichick loyalty to Jaggy James that prevents Lewis from getting the receiving RB snaps. That at least, I feel sure of.
"Let's save our best player(s) until we really need them" is something I seem to hear a lot around here, but not once can I recall seeing an actual NFL coach that didn't already have the #1 seed locked up behave that way.

Then why would Belichek be "loyal" to White? Your logic can be used against you. Anyone who can see, can tell the difference in talent and ability. I've watched many NE games and it's obvious: White is serviceable; Lewis is a difference maker.

And Lewis can do more things better than White (like actually run the ball between the tackles), which gives the offense more flexibility. If Lewis physically performs like he did pre-injury, then he's going to play more than White. And it's because Belichek wants to win football games.
Playing White, b/c he's playing well, isn't loyalty.  And BB has said White is playing well. If White fumbles, falters, is late for a meeting, etc-that changes things. But BB continuing to use White, b/c he is playing well, is based off production, not loyalty; so no, that isn't "using my argument against me," it's mis-construing the term loyalty.

but you are correct, ifLewis plays like he did during his 7 game hit streak, he'll earn his PT.  My contention is that he won't have it handed to him; that seems to upset Lewis owners.

Bayhawks said:

None of those situations have anything to do with Lewis v. White - they were all contract related moves where they weren't going to be able to sign the guy during the offseason so they traded him for something instead of losing him for nothing. Except for Moss, who actually was playing terrible that season to the point he played for two other teams and was released by both until actually retiring because no one wanted him.

How does any of those situations show that Belichick will play the less talented player? Do you have any examples of where Belichick played a lesser player on the roster over a better player for any reason? I think the best example may be when he benched Ridley for putting the ball on the ground too often where otherwise he was their best RB. And with that said, last year he stuck with Lewis even though he put the ball on the ground a few times early in the season - that right there showed how important he thought Lewis was.

If Lewis is healthy he'll play ahead of White. It's that simple. He's a far better player and gives the team the better chance to win. Now whether of not Lewis has a full recovery this season is unknown at this time.

My contention is that he won't have it handed to him; that seems to upset Lewis owners.
No one thinks the job will just get handed to Lewis - everyone has stated that he is the better player and will take the job back once he's healthy. Belichick's actions last year show that he thinks Lewis is the better option. White has filled in admirably this season and I'm sure Belichick does believe he's done well, but if you've watched the games while he's been productive, he's been productive due to the system - he has shown no dynamic playmaking skills - he has caught the ball in stride and waltzed into the endzone because Brady has taken what the defense is giving him. White isn't terrible, but he does nothing better than Lewis.

Not sure he's even thinking either of those thing.

Not singling you out here, as many in this topic are guilty of this, but the difference between fantasy owners vs coaching decisions seems to be that fantasy owners see players as pieces on a chess board; or maybe more accurately like player/characters in a game of Dungeons & Dragons.  

It objectifies the player and dehumanizes the decision making process by breaking the players down to their most basic statistical contributions.

"Well of course Lewis will come in and take all the carries and receptions from White, making White obsolete! Lewis has a +3 Jock Strap of Anti-Itch and +4 Cleats of Juking! Plus he's got 17 DEX and 14 CON compared to White's 12 DEX and 16 CON! Sure White's constitution is worth something, but It's worth switching to Lewis for the dexterity saving throws against tackling alone! Every idiot can see that!" says the Dungeons and Drag-er, fantasy football player. 

By comparison, coaches see a human being on a playing field and in practice day in & day out.

Coaches will often reward players for contributing and make returning players earn their roles or prove their ability again after a long layoff. It's not as simple as looking at a stat sheet (or character sheet) and swapping in one for the other.

IMO you're significantly short-changing White's contributions thus far in the quote above - he's clearly performed well in Lewis' absence. In my opinion, BB is highly likely to keep him involved, especially if Gronk misses time. And I'm pretty sure BB doesn't care what Lewis did last year or how many snaps he played or what his +4 Cleats of Juking do for him on paper. BB coaches human beings who have earned trust and respect through hard work.

that in part is what makes coaching decisions incredibly difficult - what seems cut and dry when looking at what Lewis did last year, while healthy, as a whole, doesn't necessarily lend insight to what BB will do with Lewis, coming back from a long layoff after a significant injury on the current Patriots roster. Even if 100% heathy, team is still relevant. Chemistry is still relevant. The Pats lost a close one against Seattle. The Seattle defense came to play and played well, especially in the final series. 

Could they have used Lewis in that game? Of course they could have - he's yet another weapon. Would using Lewis have guaranteed a different outcome? Hard to say but I seriously doubt it. 

Even with his +3 Jock Strap of Anti-Itch.

;)  

just making an observation about what I see as a recurring theme in fantasy sports. It's never black and white in sports. There are all kinds of gray area factors that go into coaching decisions, and they're often complicated. What seems like a no-brainer to a fantasy owner might be the most difficult decision a coach has to make all year; especially if it means demoting a hard worker who's been a solid contributor in a winning season. Some coaches won't do that. 

No idea what will happen with Lewis, but some folks here are looking at this situation far too mathematically and totally losing sight of the human element IMO. 
If I ever head to West, I'm looking you up dude. Me and my buddies were just making this same D&D analogy this week.

Beers and Hot Sauce and D&D FF talk lololol

No one thinks the job will just get handed to Lewis - everyone has stated that he is the better player and will take the job back once he's healthy. Belichick's actions last year show that he thinks Lewis is the better option. White has filled in admirably this season and I'm sure Belichick does believe he's done well, but if you've watched the games while he's been productive, he's been productive due to the system - he has shown no dynamic playmaking skills - he has caught the ball in stride and waltzed into the endzone because Brady has taken what the defense is giving him. White isn't terrible, but he does nothing better than Lewis.
No one?  This post was made recently:

NE_REVIVAL said:
As soon (and as long) as Lewis is healthy. white will have virtually no value.

That is all....
Putting that aside, "everyone has stated that he is the better player and will take the job back once he's healthy" ignores the fact that BB has said that it would take A LOT for someone to take White's job.  I've never said that a healthy Lewis won't have a role, but to expect him to assume the same role he had during his 7-game hot stretch is ignoring the fact that White wasn't involved during Lewis' 7-game hot stretch and that BB has said White isn't going away.  So, if Lewis gets a reduced role, his value is not as high.

But, again, Lewis owners in this thread are ignoring all evidence that doesn't support their hope that Lewis will be the same RB1 he was for 1/2 a season.

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Late August draft I got Lewis with my last round pick (18th). I cut him and picked him up 2 other times this year. He's currently on my roster. Before you think this is a 8 team league with my stuffed animals, there are some seriously good players in this league...at least 8 I'd say could hang strong in your typical FBG league.

For me, who is the considered the #1 team right now, the choice to have Dion on my roster is two-fold. First is a lottery ticket. He'd have to be something special though for me to bench Zeke, DeMarco or Spencer.

2nd...and more importantly...I'm keeping a potential lottery ticket away from my opponents. I could see a huge game from him in December and I'd much rather have him riding my bench then booting me out of the playoffs.

True. I have him in all leagues so I haven't given it much thought, but what would it take for you to acquire him? This question is really for all... discuss
Assuming I had depth at WR, I'd trade a WR2 for him.

If I had depth at RB, I'd trade a RB2 for him.

The chance that he is the same RB as he was during his 7-game streak is worth the risk.  I wouldn't want to leave myself barren at RB, but if I had a solid RB1, I'd take the risk that Lewis could be a second RB1 (and if he doesn't pan out, I would have to rely on my RB3/flex guy as my RB2).

No one?  This post was made recently:

Putting that aside, "everyone has stated that he is the better player and will take the job back once he's healthy" ignores the fact that BB has said that it would take A LOT for someone to take White's job.  I've never said that a healthy Lewis won't have a role, but to expect him to assume the same role he had during his 7-game hot stretch is ignoring the fact that White wasn't involved during Lewis' 7-game hot stretch and that BB has said White isn't going away.  So, if Lewis gets a reduced role, his value is not as high.
Hmmmm...why do you think White wasn't involved during that "7-game hot stretch"?

Also, yeah we should always trust what Belichick says - he is generally very forthcoming with game plans and personnel moves.

No, that post you quoted goes more to what I said everyone was saying.
No, it really doesn't.  You contend that "everyone" believes Lewis will earn the job with his better play.  That quote doesn't talk about production at all, it just says as soon as Lewis is healthy (which he already is), White will have no value.  No mention of out-playing Lewis, producing more, or anything like that.  Just "Lewis will be given the job as soon as he's healthy."  Which is what I said-Lewis owners think he will be given back the same role as he had during his 7-game hot stretch; ignoring the fact that White wasn't a factor during that stretch, BB has said it would be hard for anyone to take White's job, and BB's actions (making Lewis inactive) support his words.

Hmmmm...why do you think White wasn't involved during that "7-game hot stretch"?

Also, yeah we should always trust what Belichick says - he is generally very forthcoming with game plans and personnel moves.
Hmmmm-because he hadn't demonstrated that he deserved to be involved.  He has now though, and this is coming from BB, not me.

So we shouldn't trust what the HC says, but we should trust what anonymous message board posters (who may/may not be biased by their ff ownership of Lewis) say?

Starting to believe BB resents physical talent as a challenge to his own. For years he resisted getting a fieldstretcher, Moss fell in his lap - which sparked the greatest offense in NFL history - BB cashiered him soon as he could and never sought another. He has continually eschewed with the bellcow back, splitting RB between plowhorses & waterbugs (to continue the animal analogy). In the last couple years, he's dumped his top OL and his 3 most singular defensive players. Talent which transcends the system is an X factor and it's starting to look like he can't abide that. Heck, even the one supreme talent he's stayed with is a guy who came with no bona fides and whose talent just happens to be for running BB's system like no one else can.

Starting to believe BB resents physical talent as a challenge to his own. For years he resisted getting a fieldstretcher, Moss fell in his lap - which sparked the greatest offense in NFL history - BB cashiered him soon as he could and never sought another. He has continually eschewed with the bellcow back, splitting RB between plowhorses & waterbugs (to continue the animal analogy). In the last couple years, he's dumped his top OL and his 3 most singular defensive players. Talent which transcends the system is an X factor and it's starting to look like he can't abide that. Heck, even the one supreme talent he's stayed with is a guy who came with no bona fides and whose talent just happens to be for running BB's system like no one else can.
I think you may be on to something here. A superstar-less team running a system.

I always wondered if a "socialist-style" team built with the salary cap distributed almost evenly amongst all would put a team at a horrific disadvantage or not.

If I ever head to West, I'm looking you up dude. Me and my buddies were just making this same D&D analogy this week.

Beers and Hot Sauce and D&D FF talk lololol
First beer's on me, and I know all the best taquerias in CA. ;)  

And glad folks caught that I was not mocking AD&D, since I used to play as a kid...that said, who couldn't use a +3 Jock Strap of Anti-itch? 

:lol:  

I don't think it has anything with him not being enamored with talent ... I just think he is more enamored with value, and prioritizes that above all. Notice he never drove out Brady, as he is the most valuable commodity in the game at that position for more than a decade now, hence irreplaceable and even landing all 7 draft picks from an opposing team wouldn't be as valuable as owning Brady. The same goes for Gronk. The rest he sought high return value for and probably believes he can replace or get better value in exchange for what he received. Nobody can argue that he hasn't had a lengthy success, and during an era where parity in the league was prioritized, which is saying a lot more about team management than it does about the dynasties of yesterday, before the cap. The key to competitive advantage is trading current perceived value for future value, because in the salary cap era, you can only keep so much blue chip stock on the team. I don't think anyone here will argue that he kept the two most important difference makers in Bready and Gronk, so what he is doing just makes sense in this era of encouraged parity. The rest of the supporting cast are expendable, not because he doesn't think they are talented, but because he can only keep so much talent under a salaried contract. Also I don't think BB is spiteful to players or coaches or he wouldn't have taken his OC back like he did. That is ridiculous as its not smart to be spiteful in this league; its smart to be opportunistic when value presents itself and he is a master of that.   

Warning, stop reading here if you cannot tolerate my digression. Weebs should move on to the next post as this is clearly TLDR for him. You've been warned.

I have often thought that another viable strategy would be to take an opposite QB approach. That is to say, rushing QBs that can pass occasionally only cost a fraction of the price of pocket QB heroes. The main problem is they don't last very long, like running backs and the risk of going down on any play is great. However, If I was only paying them league minimum, or a paltry sum like 1-5 million, I could roster 3-4 of these types and churn them like RBs to keep salaries down. Also, since the league doesn't value these types of QBS (like Tebow) as greatly, I could pick them up as undrafted FA or even with late round picks, or pick them up off waivers for cheap, preserving blue chip draft picks for defensive heroes. The money I saved on premier QBs I could spend on building a premier defense that would be able to stop the QB heroes, and my strategy of running the ball 80% of the time, with the occasional surprise bomb at only the most opportune times would allow my hero defense to be fully rested at all times, and also keep their QB heroes off the field. And if you get a lot of success with this and the starting QB gets high minded and thinking he is worth 20 million plus, let him walk and put in the next triple option QB. Its not a super difficult offense to run. Note I say triple option, QB for lack of a better term, but I wouldn't be running the triple option on every play, its just to describe the "type" of cheap QB one could get easily. 

I keep waiting for somebody to employ this strategy, and I thought we got pretty close with Denver the year Tebow played for them and beat Pitt In the playoffs. Of course, with Elway in charge this wasn't going to be the philosophy going forward, but if Chip Kelly was offensive coordinator and I as the HC told him to run 60-80% of the time, and I had viable, cheap RBs and triple option type QBs running the show, with 2-3 available each game to step in if an inj occurred, I think it would be a successful philosophy in the NFL. The other upshot is most defenses are designed to stop QB heroes, so when you throw 80% run at them, their high priced cover corners become useless investments vs your team, and they will get run over and hurt if they don't get the ##### outta the way. LOL. The only Wrs on the team would all be expert blockers, with circus catches being less important than being a good blocker. Again, wouldn't cost much. I'll obviously never get a chance to employ this strategy, but I am eager to see someone else push this idea out there and observe how viable it performs. We can point to a few cases where this happened because of necessity, but it wasn't fully leveraged because these teams also employed QB heroes, so they didn't leverage the money saved on passing on a QB hero to invest in their defense, so really this has not been tried or fully leveraged, yet.

ETA: One certain upside to this is, the games this team played would be a lot shorter than the QB hero vs QB hero type games. If two teams with this strategy faced off, they would probably finish the game in 2.5 hours, and there would be a lot less yellow PI laundry on the field.

Gronk is still around.  But, he's a irreplaceable (by a cheaper replacement player) so he sticks around.  Same with Brady, irreplaceable to the system.  There's a difference between players who have success in the system, and players who make a difference.

BB did draft a RB high once, and basically got burned by it.  I'm sure that reinforces his thinking of just using multiple backs with individual skills instead of trying to find one back that can do it all.

Coach Bill Belichick admitted there will be a "certain buildup process" with Dion Lewis.
"I think any time a player is coming back from missing a significant amount of time, there’s a certain buildup process," Belichick said. "Sometimes that accelerates, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it just stays on a straight-line course. It’s hard to predict how that’s going to go. There’s a big difference between training and playing football." It doesn't sound like Lewis will be stepping into any voluminous role any time in the very near future. He could be active for Week 11 against the 49ers, but Lewis is still far behind James White as the preferred pass-game back.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6483/dion-lewis

Ugh

Coach Bill Belichick admitted there will be a "certain buildup process" with Dion Lewis.
"I think any time a player is coming back from missing a significant amount of time, there’s a certain buildup process," Belichick said. "Sometimes that accelerates, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it just stays on a straight-line course. It’s hard to predict how that’s going to go. There’s a big difference between training and playing football." It doesn't sound like Lewis will be stepping into any voluminous role any time in the very near future. He could be active for Week 11 against the 49ers, but Lewis is still far behind James White as the preferred pass-game back.

Ugh
I take that as Lewis will get some limited plays this week, and his performance is going to dictate how quickly those touches go up.

Ugh
You HAD to know this was coming. I mean, we have been discussing this for weeks now.

Here's the full quote:

"

"I think any time a player is coming back from missing a significant amount of time, there’s a certain buildup process," coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday morning. "Sometimes that accelerates, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it just stays on a straight-line course. It’s hard to predict how that’s going to go.

"There’s a big difference between training and playing football. You can run around a track, run up and down a hill, do 10,000 pushups and all of that. I mean, that’s great, but that’s not being out there with 21 other guys playing football. Football is football. Training is an important part and component of being ready to play football, but playing football is playing football. Especially at this time of year where you’re halfway through the season and teams have quite a bit of scheme in, both us and our opponents, we’re not just looking at kind of some basic stuff like in the beginning or the year or in preseason, which is what preseason is. It’s very basic. We’re at a whole different point, so how does that get acclimated, what’s the right time, what’s the right ... it’s a little bit of a feel situation. We just keep going. We’ll see."

"

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797542/patriots-continue-to-take-patient-cautious-approach-with-dion-lewis

It makes sense, but I read that as he won't be playing more than 7-15 snaps over the next 4-6 weeks.  Agree or Disagree?

Trying to read into hoodie coach speak is just madness. You aren't starting lil dirty unless you have to or until AFTER a week where they show solid usage.

Trying to read into hoodie coach speak is just madness. You aren't starting lil dirty unless you have to or until AFTER a week where they show solid usage.
Well I'm getting pretty desperate with choices of Ingram, Bernard, and Martin.  Leaning towards Martin but Lewis has the best matchup in FFB.  It only takes a couple big plays to outscore the fodder that is my current RB crew.

I guess you can look at it like it may be an easy win so why risk Lewis so they will limit him/pound Blount?

I'm fairly conservative so will likely do the wait and see this week.  Would love to see something from Lewis though before Week 14.

Well I'm getting pretty desperate with choices of Ingram, Bernard, and Martin.  Leaning towards Martin but Lewis has the best matchup in FFB.  It only takes a couple big plays to outscore the fodder that is my current RB crew.

I guess you can look at it like it may be an easy win so why risk Lewis so they will limit him/pound Blount?

I'm fairly conservative so will likely do the wait and see this week.  Would love to see something from Lewis though before Week 14.
Oh, I'm with you. I drafted Dion to ride my IR slot ALL SEASON. I'll be making a similar start/sit call, probably late saturday night as I weep into my hands. 

Do you drop Dion for Kenneth Dixon?

As I've mentioned earlier, i've added and dropped Dion 2 or 3 times already this year. Barring something horrific, this will be the last move I make (or dont make) in 2016.

Do you drop Dion for Kenneth Dixon?

As I've mentioned earlier, i've added and dropped Dion 2 or 3 times already this year. Barring something horrific, this will be the last move I make (or dont make) in 2016.
I would do this in a heartbeat.

Dixon had a big increase in carries last week, and looked very good IMO. Could take over the starting job pretty soon.

Lewis, on the other hand, will never be a feature back no matter what the circumstances with injuries, etc. We don't know how much he'll be on the field and when, but we do know he's never gonna be a 3-downer.

No, it really doesn't.  You contend that "everyone" believes Lewis will earn the job with his better play.  That quote doesn't talk about production at all, it just says as soon as Lewis is healthy (which he already is), White will have no value.  No mention of out-playing Lewis, producing more, or anything like that.  Just "Lewis will be given the job as soon as he's healthy."  Which is what I said-Lewis owners think he will be given back the same role as he had during his 7-game hot stretch; ignoring the fact that White wasn't a factor during that stretch, BB has said it would be hard for anyone to take White's job, and BB's actions (making Lewis inactive) support his words.
I haven't read every reply/post but ftr. What I meant by my original post was imho Lewis is much better than White and if Lewis is healthy White will rarely if ever see the field. I don't think Lewis will have anything handed to him, i think he is a better player; more of a difference maker. But like u said, time will tell.

May have to cut for a kicker.  And then decide to either drop Chargers D, or drop T West or K Dixon for a streamer.

Fwiw re: his value, in 14T 0ppr 2R 2W 0F (so rbs at real premium) just gave Fitz straight up for Lewis. 

I personally think Lewis can be a championship type piece down the stretch. I see him eased in this week and as soon as next if he is healthy he will be back to his old role. 

Here's the full quote:

"

"I think any time a player is coming back from missing a significant amount of time, there’s a certain buildup process," coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday morning. "Sometimes that accelerates, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it just stays on a straight-line course. It’s hard to predict how that’s going to go.

"There’s a big difference between training and playing football. You can run around a track, run up and down a hill, do 10,000 pushups and all of that. I mean, that’s great, but that’s not being out there with 21 other guys playing football. Football is football. Training is an important part and component of being ready to play football, but playing football is playing football. Especially at this time of year where you’re halfway through the season and teams have quite a bit of scheme in, both us and our opponents, we’re not just looking at kind of some basic stuff like in the beginning or the year or in preseason, which is what preseason is. It’s very basic. We’re at a whole different point, so how does that get acclimated, what’s the right time, what’s the right ... it’s a little bit of a feel situation. We just keep going. We’ll see."

"

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797542/patriots-continue-to-take-patient-cautious-approach-with-dion-lewis

It makes sense, but I read that as he won't be playing more than 7-15 snaps over the next 4-6 weeks.  Agree or Disagree?
Translation: Lewis is healthy enough to start playing football, but they will be working him into the rotation to (1) get him in "football" shape and (2) acclimate him to their offensive schemes that have changed since the beginning of the season.

To your question, depending on how his body responds, he'll probably get limited (7-10?) snaps this week and then increasing snaps thereafter. If everything cuts right, I'm thinking he'll be getting fantasy-relevant, consistent usage in Week 12 and beyond. That said, I'm stashing him until that happens and hoping for a playoff run with him in the Flex position...

Users who are viewing this thread