What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

Lewis has looked good this season, James White is the problem for Lewis owners.

James White has been so incredibly reliable.

Redraft? If so, why? Has he been active on gameday yet?  Or is it just a move because the other Philly RBs have looked so pedestrian?
12 team PPR dynasty league with 24 man rosters. Yes, opportunity seems available in PHI, where Blount seems to be already in disfavor, draft pick Pumphrey is on IR, and Sproles is not the long term answer. Sure, Clement is a long shot, but so is Lewis at this point. Put him on the block multiple times and generated zero interest. His value is basically nil except in leagues deeper than this one.  :shrug:  

Based on the eye test. Lewis is electric, as others have said. 
You said: "we know his talent is such that if he gets a chance in NE or if they trade him and he gets a chance to start, he can instantly become a RB1"

You may believe that, but it is not something anyone 'knows.' There is a lengthy thread in the Shark Pool about Christine Michael, who passed a lot of eye tests, and there are many other examples of guys who looked good but didn't translate that into productive careers.

Bottom line, Lewis is a former 5th round pick in his 5th season and turns 27 next week, and he has totaled just 1225 YFS and 6 TDs, due to a combination of getting beaten out (as in his current situation) and being unable to stay healthy (as in 2016). He has lost touches the past 2 seasons to Blount (UDFA), White (4th rounder), Gillislee (5th rounder), and Burkhead (6th rounder). That is not exactly a murderer's row.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was confused as to people who said they were "all in" on Dion Lewis.

The year Lewis blew up ... White was neck and neck with him in training camp.

Lewis ended up edging out White for the job. After getting hurt, White took over, gained experience and more importantly ... the confidence of Brady and the coaches.

White tore it up in the SB. Very well could have been the SB MVP. White is in the drivers seat and he's not going anywhere for a while. Lewis can be safely dropped imo.
I think you answered your own question on why you are confused, it's the bolded part. The part I agree with was Lewis won the job and it took him getting hurt for White to ascend. That is why people were "all in" on Dion Lewis. The part I feel is conjecture is that they were neck and neck in camp, you and I have no idea of Bill Bellichicks camp depth chart or any idea to know if Lewis won the job handedly or neck and neck.

After that key parts of how this all evolved were omitted. Like how Dion's role grew late last season and into the playoffs and how  he was out snapping and out touching White, like when he scored 3 TD's against Houston in round one. And how the only reason White very well could have been SB MVP was that Dion Lewis was suffering from a hamstring issue which limited him.

White is the guy to own now, no question about it. But there are very valid reasons why people were "all in" on Dion Lewis, and to me valid reasons to not write him off yet.

I think you answered your own question on why you are confused, it's the bolded part. The part I agree with was Lewis won the job and it took him getting hurt for White to ascend. That is why people were "all in" on Dion Lewis. The part I feel is conjecture is that they were neck and neck in camp, you and I have no idea of Bill Bellichicks camp depth chart or any idea to know if Lewis won the job handedly or neck and neck.

After that key parts of how this all evolved were omitted. Like how Dion's role grew late last season and into the playoffs and how  he was out snapping and out touching White, like when he scored 3 TD's against Houston in round one. And how the only reason White very well could have been SB MVP was that Dion Lewis was suffering from a hamstring issue which limited him.

White is the guy to own now, no question about it. But there are very valid reasons why people were "all in" on Dion Lewis, and to me valid reasons to not write him off yet.
White certainly ascended last season ... which is I would think would make it hard to be "all in" on Lewis

If you want to compare it to be being "all in" on Devonte Freeman knowing Coleman is right there ready to take the role. OK.

... but if Coleman had the SB that White had, I wouldn't be ready to go "all in" on Freeman.

Lewis was once slightly more elusive but seems he's lost a step since his return from the injury. White has almost exactly the same skill set.

Maybe they're easing Lewis back into action or maybe they're saving Lewis for the playoff run ...

but after seeing White have 8 receptions on 8 targets Sunday, I believe BB has found his guy in White and Lewis is firmly behind him on the depth chart.
Man, people are quick to say players have lost a step when their usage changes. Lewis looked REALLY good in the playoffs when he got an opportunity. That was after the injury.

And I could not disagree more about White having the same skill set. Yes, they are very, very similar in the passing game but White seems to be missing something as a runner that Lewis clearly has. 

I do agree that Lewis is behind White on the depth chart. I was just saying that yes I expected it, but I still don't understand why. If you've got two quick, sure handed guys, why not go with the one who can also be an effective runner?

If you've got two quick, sure handed guys, why not go with the one who can also be an effective runner?
There are a lot of reasons why Lewis is in the situation that he finds himself in. For starters, over the course of his career, he has easily missed more games than he has been able to play in. 

Last year, he dragged out getting back on the field, so much so that he needed additional surgery, missed a big chunk of the season, and was never right once he did get back. 

In the playoffs, he had one big game but he also fumbled twice. Nothing infuriates BB more than backs that put the ball on the ground. 

I still haven't seen Lewis be the same guy he was at the start of 2015, so I am not sure why people want to compare the healthier 2015 version of Lewis to the guy that is on the field in 2017. 

White is consistently able to play and gets the job done. He looked pretty good in the Super Bowl. 

And we haven't even discussed that they also have Gillislee and Burkhead. 

No matter what anyone individually thinks of Lewis, a lot has to happen to other backs in NE for him to be fantasy relevant. If receivers stay banged up, there is a chance he gets more snaps as a receiving target. 

But as things stand now, he is a rarely used backup and kickoff returner.

There are a lot of reasons why Lewis is in the situation that he finds himself in. For starters, over the course of his career, he has easily missed more games than he has been able to play in. 

Last year, he dragged out getting back on the field, so much so that he needed additional surgery, missed a big chunk of the season, and was never right once he did get back. 

In the playoffs, he had one big game but he also fumbled twice. Nothing infuriates BB more than backs that put the ball on the ground. 

I still haven't seen Lewis be the same guy he was at the start of 2015, so I am not sure why people want to compare the healthier 2015 version of Lewis to the guy that is on the field in 2017. 

White is consistently able to play and gets the job done. He looked pretty good in the Super Bowl. 

And we haven't even discussed that they also have Gillislee and Burkhead. 

No matter what anyone individually thinks of Lewis, a lot has to happen to other backs in NE for him to be fantasy relevant. If receivers stay banged up, there is a chance he gets more snaps as a receiving target. 

But as things stand now, he is a rarely used backup and kickoff returner.
We can talk about athletic ability or we can talk about fumbles or we can talk about injuries. Let's not move the goal posts, though. I agree fumbles will get you in the dog house. Maybe that's why he is where he is. But all I was talking about with the playoffs was his ability. I think it was clear at that point that he has not lost a step.

You haven't seen the electric Lewis in 2017 because he's not on the field. I think most of us saw that writing on the wall. I'm just saying I don't understand it. White as a runner is at a JAG level at best. Maybe below. He's a one dimensional player like Riddick who is good at his one thing, but he's not versatile (Burkhead, IMO, is versatile, though - in a vacuum I would've said he's Dion's strongest competition). 

For the most part I avoided this backfield this season and have no regrets. I wouldn't want any of them in a weekly set lineup league. Just opened this thread because I was surprised to see it bumped. Thought maybe I'd missed some trade news.

Didn't watch the game but doesn't look like he got a ton of usage. With Rex sidelined you would hope there would be a significant uptick. Did he play a good amount of snaps and just not get the ball? Pretty hard to continue to hold.

Picked him up last week in case he gets traded as Bloom suggested as an outside shot. Belichick seems to always make a few moves that in retrospect are logical and gain him picks or cap room. Worth a shot to wait and see for a few weeks. 

I think Pats hold him in case of injuries. If White goes down, who is the better passing-catching back between Burkhead and Lewis? In all likelihood, it becomes a RBBC even more than it already is. 

White was just given a 3 year contract, $12m ... ($4.7m guaranteed) this offseason. 

Lewis is a free agent after this year @ $1.2M

Pretty obvious who they like.  ... and I like who they like. 

Lewis is not roster worthy unless you have a huge bench. Owners can pray for a trade I guess.

Maybe the Pats can get an O-Lineman for him. 

Dion looked really good last night. White still getting passing volume, but his box score looks better than his game. He's just awful as a runner and his long reception was about as ugly of a reception as could be. He had zero separation against a DE and he bobbled the hell out of the catch. Still don't know why he gets his number called more than Dion. Baffling.  :loco:
Agreed.  Lewis looked explosive and healthy.  

His limited usage is probably due to the fact that they can't rely on him to stay healthy. I have Dion on a lot of teams and benefited greatly from that short span where New England was using him heavy and he looked great. The problem is I think teams are hesitant to build an offense around a guy that can't make it through a full season.

His limited usage is probably due to the fact that they can't rely on him to stay healthy. I have Dion on a lot of teams and benefited greatly from that short span where New England was using him heavy and he looked great. The problem is I think teams are hesitant to build an offense around a guy that can't make it through a full season.
Could have sworn Gillislee got banged up. They showed a close up of him after a run and he was grimacing big time. Next series, D. Lewis was in and saw extensive action.

Chaka said:
Probably because Bill Belichick sucks at his job.

;)
Ha, I'm obviously not saying that, but we all know that nobody is infallible. I'm mainly just saying that, as a casual observer, I fail to see what Bill's logic is. Anything White can do, Dion can do. Some of the things Dion can do, White simply cannot do. 

Ha, I'm obviously not saying that, but we all know that nobody is infallible. I'm mainly just saying that, as a casual observer, I fail to see what Bill's logic is. Anything White can do, Dion can do. Some of the things Dion can do, White simply cannot do. 
This has been covered and recovered. NE is (rightfully) concerned about Lewis' ability to stay on the field. They want to use him sparingly so he will be available (and productive) all season . . . more so at the END of the season. Giving him a full workload and getting him hurt in three weeks does them no good. I would guess they will max him out at 6-7 carries and 2-3 targets a game. I also think if Burkhead ever comes back (and is healthy), that will devalue all the NE backs.

This has been covered and recovered. NE is (rightfully) concerned about Lewis' ability to stay on the field. They want to use him sparingly so he will be available (and productive) all season . . . more so at the END of the season. Giving him a full workload and getting him hurt in three weeks does them no good. I would guess they will max him out at 6-7 carries and 2-3 targets a game. I also think if Burkhead ever comes back (and is healthy), that will devalue all the NE backs.
Was Lewis hurt for the super bowl? Serious question - I don't remember.

Yeah, I want to buy into that logic because it's the only thing that makes sense, but how do you explain White's heavy usage in the Super Bowl? Dion was healthy and looked pretty good in week 19 (while White didn't play very much).

The other hole in that logic is that they're primarily using Dion to run between the tackles right now. If they wanted to preserve him, giving him targets would be the more sensible option.

So yeah, I've heard this line of thought before but reciting a shaky hypothesis isn't the same thing as accurately covering a bizarre trend.

Was Lewis hurt for the super bowl? Serious question - I don't remember.
He never was right in 2016 after having to have a second knee surgery prior to the start of the season. He had a good game against the Texans (TD rushing, receiving, returning) in the playoffs but fumbled twice. He wasn't very effective against the Steelers, and I think he tweaked something in that game. He played in the SB . . . but NE went way more with James White.

Any thoughts on Dion Lewis carving out a bigger role out of the ever evolving RB mess?
Predicting NE RB production has always been a nightmare, but this is looking like the worst year ever. 

Used to be that they had one big back and one receiving back, and the guessing game was, which would be the focus of the gameplan on any given week.

Now not only do you have to guess about game script, but when Burkhead returns, they will have multiple guys that can fit into each role.

Love Lewis' talent, but happy to not have to ruminate on any of this after I dropped him (and Burkhead).

I was watching BB break down Lewis' big gain vs. TB. He referred to it as their "first explosive run" of the year and although BB isn't an emotional man I got the distinct feeling that he loves Lewis. This backfield will always be muddled but if I had to put my money on one of them outside of White it'd be Lewis. 

When Lewis was back on special teams to return the opening kickoff of the season, I knew it was safe to drop him.
Like Amendola? Having Amendola return punts is the riskiest thing in the world but BB will put whoever he thinks gives them the best chance for a big play back there. 

I was watching BB break down Lewis' big gain vs. TB. He referred to it as their "first explosive run" of the year and although BB isn't an emotional man I got the distinct feeling that he loves Lewis. This backfield will always be muddled but if I had to put my money on one of them outside of White it'd be Lewis. 
Do you happen to have a link to this?  I'd be fascinated to see that ...

Users who are viewing this thread