What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (1 Viewer)

henry looked so good at the end of the year i dont understand how he does not get the large majority of the runs to start next year
22-90, 1 TD
22-119, 2 TD, 6 receptions for 29 yards
27-116, 2 TD
19-122, 1 TD

That's Chris Carson's games during the same stretch where Henry was blowing up.  Yet everyone assumes Carson is about to be replaced.

Granted Penny was hurt for two of those games, but in the 2 he played and the 2 leading up to them he was only averaging 5 carries and 0 catches per game anyhow.

I think the major difference is that Carson has looked pretty good running the ball every time he's played, whereas Henry's whole career has been a constant cycle of looking like a stud one month and total garbage the next, yet here we are potentially just caught in the middle of the same cycle for like the 4th time with him.

22-90, 1 TD
22-119, 2 TD, 6 receptions for 29 yards
27-116, 2 TD
19-122, 1 TD

That's Chris Carson's games during the same stretch where Henry was blowing up.  Yet everyone assumes Carson is about to be replaced.

Granted Penny was hurt for two of those games, but in the 2 he played and the 2 leading up to them he was only averaging 5 carries and 0 catches per game anyhow.

I think the major difference is that Carson has looked pretty good running the ball every time he's played, whereas Henry's whole career has been a constant cycle of looking like a stud one month and total garbage the next, yet here we are potentially just caught in the middle of the same cycle for like the 4th time with him.
Carson didn't exactly light things up in the playoffs (13 rushes for 20 yards). Penny down the stretch averaged 6.4 ypc over the last 7 games (granted on only 47 carries) and was a first round pick. If SEA really felt Carson was the solution they wouldn't have drafted Penny. They almost have to give Penny more work to justify burning a first round pick on him and to see what more he brings to the table.

In both situations (TEN and SEA), "the other back" did not have as good lineage upon entering the league (Lewis was the 149th player taken in his draft and Carson was the 249th player selected in his). Henry went 45th overall and Penny went 27th. That probably shouldn't matter, but the early round picks typically get more chances.

I think it's important to consider that if you break the season out into quarters Henry had:

Q1 54-163-0

Q2 36-137-2

Q3 38-174-3

Q4 87-585-7

This was also his 3rd season. The prior two he had a tough time earning a major role. I suspect with that big 4th quarter of the season the want to use Henry a lot but I would be a little cautious about a RB who has had one big time quarter out of the 12 quarter seasons he has had in the NFL. Just not a lengthy history of being outstanding. I suspect his value based on those last 4 games is higher than what my whole evaluation would be. He really hasn't caught many passes so with Lewis he would seem to be fairly locked in as the receiving RB and I think the potential is there to get additional opportunity if Henry's last 4 games prove to be more of a fluke. That being said I see no need to rush out and grab Lewis as I expect him to see minimal rushes unless Henry shows he is more the RB he was for the first 2 3/4 seasons of his career.

Dion Lewis rushed three times for 13 yards in the Titans' Week 3 loss to the Jaguars, adding a seven-yard reception.

Even with the Titans in negative game script all evening, Lewis could not break through for a bigger role. The change-of-pace back has just 14 touches through three games. His RB4 value is disappearing fast.

Sep 20, 2019, 12:16 AM ET

At this point he is a handcuff and nothing more.
Henry owner, dropped him for Scary Terry in that league.

As things settle for my WR over the next few weeks (Tate coming back and seeing how he fits into the Giants squad, Hill returning, see if Deebo or Metcalf can continue to develop), will likely drop a WR to start building depth again.

But there is no use holding Dion now if you don't have the bench space. Thought he could contribute in PPR, but just not getting the looks.

Which again, as a Henry owner, I'm fine with.

I think it's important to consider that if you break the season out into quarters Henry had:

Q1 54-163-0

Q2 36-137-2

Q3 38-174-3

Q4 87-585-7

This was also his 3rd season. The prior two he had a tough time earning a major role. I suspect with that big 4th quarter of the season the want to use Henry a lot but I would be a little cautious about a RB who has had one big time quarter out of the 12 quarter seasons he has had in the NFL. Just not a lengthy history of being outstanding. I suspect his value based on those last 4 games is higher than what my whole evaluation would be. He really hasn't caught many passes so with Lewis he would seem to be fairly locked in as the receiving RB and I think the potential is there to get additional opportunity if Henry's last 4 games prove to be more of a fluke. That being said I see no need to rush out and grab Lewis as I expect him to see minimal rushes unless Henry shows he is more the RB he was for the first 2 3/4 seasons of his career.
Henry has led the NFL in rushing since his breakout. 7? weeks. 

His style changed after working with his college buddy Jalston Fowler and Eddie George. He went back to running hard and violent with quick cuts whereas before he was more like a typical back and by typical back standards he's slow and a big target.

The Eddie George story and his stellar stats have been national stories. If he can stay top 5 this year, he's going to break the bank as a free agent. If he can't, he falls into the RBs are a dime a dozen group and it's so creepy how quickly they are out of the league or lowly paid etc. The NFL today only pays and supports the top 5. I think it's the hardest position for career longevity now and one of the worst for a kid to growup and want to become. 10-15 years ago, it was completely different. On the top contracts for free agent RBs, Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan are still in the top 10. This to me is so wow and illustrates perfectly how far the RB market has collapsed

Lewis had a couple weeks early last year.

He allowed thirteen sacks in 2018 and was nowhere near as advertised.

This year his blitz pickup is good and it's obvious they fixed that. He drops too many and his runs up the middle look like a kid diving in leaves.

I would have cut him if I were GM and picked up one of a ton of RBs available on the WW.

He's been bad and although he established a big lead on coach's pet Fluellen, now that Fluellen is healthy, we could start to see him. Fluellen is simply a tough sonofa that is an average RB after many years in Titans camps developing. I don't think Lewis is the handcuff to Henry as you think. I would guess if Henry is hurt, it's Lewis and Flu. I wouldn't have either, even on a deep roster, for FF.

Further, the line stinks thus far. Lewan will come back and offer a hole for the RB to run through, but that doesn't fix the other four. Henry has to beast through arms and tackles to get his yards. I don't know that many backs could have success behind their line right now. Fournette and some others could, but not Lewis and Flu. 

With Henry likely to be out, where does Dion Lewis rank in PPR? Would think top 25 anyway.

I can't remember all these low RB2/flex plays emerging during crunch time: M. Boone, P. Laird, D. Washington, B. Scott. From famine to feast as the clock is striking midnight on the fantasy season.

seriously championship weekend and i am down cook, jacobs and now henry...ugh.

does anyone actually think lewis will do anything?

I wonder if Lewis is a better play in 0.5 PPR as he is involved in the passing game than a guy like Chark or Golladay.

Yes, not so veiled WDIS. But it's ship weekend. Have some heart.

I wonder if Lewis is a better play in 0.5 PPR as he is involved in the passing game than a guy like Chark or Golladay.

Yes, not so veiled WDIS. But it's ship weekend. Have some heart.
this is so hard to judge..i'm sitting on him too but tannehill isn't exactly throwing to the rbs and i just don't know how stale lewis is going to be and quite frankly how good he was to begin with

this is so hard to judge..i'm sitting on him too but tannehill isn't exactly throwing to the rbs and i just don't know how stale lewis is going to be and quite frankly how good he was to begin with
I think I just might roll with DeAndre Washington instead of hope Dion gets all of the load, or more variable situations than Galloway or Chark.

Really not happy with this decision.

seriously championship weekend and i am down cook, jacobs and now henry...ugh.

does anyone actually think lewis will do anything?
He's going to get touches so he has a natural floor of likely 50 yards or whatever. Probably less than 50/50 to find the end zone, though. Should get double digits in PPR. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dion Lewis rushed 15 times for 68 yards in the Titans' Week 16 loss to the Saints.

He added one catch for 19 yards on two targets. Lewis made the spot start in place of Derrick Henry (hamstring), who will play next week against the Texans with the playoffs on the line. Lewis has lost almost all of his playmaking ability at 29 years old. Lewis will go back to his lightly-used role for the regular-season finale.

ESPN's Turron Davenport expects the Titans to release Dion Lewis this offseason.

The Titans need all the cap space they can get with offensive cornerstones Derrick Henry and Ryan Tannehill both headed for free agency. Cutting Lewis, who has largely been a non-factor since joining the Titans on a four-year deal in 2018, would seem to be a no-brainer. His release would create $4 million in cap savings while leaving behind just $1.1 million in dead money. In addition to Lewis, Davenport suggested Tennessee could also move on from pricy veterans Ryan Succop, Cameron Wake and Delanie Walker. With Tannehill a candidate for the franchise tag and Henry reportedly seeking Zeke money, the Titans have their work cut out for them this offseason.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 17, 2020, 10:05 AM ET

ESPN's Turron Davenport expects the Titans to release Dion Lewis this offseason.

The Titans need all the cap space they can get with offensive cornerstones Derrick Henry and Ryan Tannehill both headed for free agency. Cutting Lewis, who has largely been a non-factor since joining the Titans on a four-year deal in 2018, would seem to be a no-brainer. His release would create $4 million in cap savings while leaving behind just $1.1 million in dead money. In addition to Lewis, Davenport suggested Tennessee could also move on from pricy veterans Ryan Succop, Cameron Wake and Delanie Walker. With Tannehill a candidate for the franchise tag and Henry reportedly seeking Zeke money, the Titans have their work cut out for them this offseason.

Feb 17, 2020, 10:05 AM ET
I know contracts aren't always "real" in terms of years and money, but how often have big money RB contracts worked out over the long haul? Zeke signed a 6 year, $90 million deal with $50 million guaranteed. Most RB's only last a few seasons before getting hurt, losing a step, or being relegated to a RBBC. Henry is going to be 26 . . . and I am guessing he won't be worth the money down the road that someone is going to have to spend for him for a long term-deal.

I know contracts aren't always "real" in terms of years and money, but how often have big money RB contracts worked out over the long haul? Zeke signed a 6 year, $90 million deal with $50 million guaranteed. Most RB's only last a few seasons before getting hurt, losing a step, or being relegated to a RBBC. Henry is going to be 26 . . . and I am guessing he won't be worth the money down the road that someone is going to have to spend for him for a long term-deal.
Off the top of my head, the last several big RB contracts were for Elliott, Gurley, Bell, Johnson, McKinnon, and Freeman. Those contracts have collectively been terrible for their teams.

I don't think any team should give Henry a contract like this. It's just not a good use of limited cap space.

Just Win Baby said:
Off the top of my head, the last several big RB contracts were for Elliott, Gurley, Bell, Johnson, McKinnon, and Freeman. Those contracts have collectively been terrible for their teams.

I don't think any team should give Henry a contract like this. It's just not a good use of limited cap space.
I'm not ready to call Elliot's contract terrible just yet but otherwise agree.

The easy thing I'd say if I ran the Titans would be franchise Henry in 2020 and maybe 2021 if things go well.  But we've seen cracks in that approach with Bell holding out and while not franchised with the Gordon holdout.  I don't get that sense Henry would go that route but that's just a guess.

I strongly believe over the last few years without any doubt the best approach is to draft a RB in end of round one(get that extra cost controlled year by taking them in round 1) but preferably in round 2 or early round 3, run them into the ground, rinse and repeat. But the holdouts are also starting to mess with this approach a little. Even high draft pick RB's like Elliot  who entered league as one of highest paid RB's only gave you 3 years, 3 fairly expensive years, under cost control until his holdout caused an issue. Similar with Gordon. So the thought process if you picked a RB in round one that you got 5 cost controlled years and then could still franchise tag them for a year or two is seeing some roadblocks.  The FA QB's are dominating the news right now but I think fantasy players will soon be consumed on some of the second/third round RB's from the 2017 draft class, specifically Mixon, Dalvin and Kamara. Here we have teams draft these players, feel like they have them for 4 super cheap cost controlled years and then ability to franchise them a year or two but reality is they might only get them for 3 years before running into significant holdout issues.

All that being said it still remains to be that it should be a no brainer to not extend RB's on massive second contracts and draft them in super late round one or later. Even if those 2017 RB holdouts cause issues the Vikings just got 3 years out of Dalvin at a total cost of $5M, Bengals got 3 years of Mixon for $4.2 and Kamara is probably the best bargain in the league last 3 years as Saints got 3 years out of him for a grand total of $2.8. This seems like a no brainer approach to me, but teams keep on paying big money to older RB's and it's hard to make sense out of sometimes.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Titans released RB Dion Lewis.

The move will create $4 million in cap saving while leaving behind just $1.1 million in dead money. Lewis had some solid moments at the beginning of his tenure with the Titans, but was largely just in the way during the better part of the last season and a half. Perhaps his absence will allow Derrick Henry to work as a true three-down RB if Tractorcito ultimately re-signs with the Titans. Lewis likely won't walk into a starting job elsewhere, but his pass-game prowess could help lead to additional opportunities down the road.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 12, 2020, 12:31 PM ET

ESPN: Week 3 NFL Power Rankings: 1-32 poll, plus surprise fantasy finds

Under-the-radar fantasy standout: RB Dion Lewis

Get on that waiver wire and grab Lewis. ASAP. Even if the Giants do sign Devonta Freeman, Lewis is going to play a substantial role. Imagine a plus version of James White in New England with a slightly bigger workload. The Giants trust Lewis in pass protection, and he catches the ball well out of the backfield. They aren't afraid to run Lewis on some early downs, either. He is the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season. -- Jordan Raanan

Was this written before or after the Freeman signing? Does Freeman's signing change this?
Of course it does.   I'm glad Freeman signed before our waivers run.  I would hate to have had Lewis high on my list after the fact.  Lewis will have value, but just not as much now.  I suspect Lewis will get most of the carries until Freeman comes up to speed however.  That shouldn't take too long.

Raanan clearly stated in the quote "Even if the Giants do sign Devonta Freeman," so to him it changes nothing about the comment.

Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

Raanan is as plugged in as it gets in New York, and he advises to "get on that waiver wire and grab Lewis. ASAP." Lewis is trusted in pass protection and should have the advantage on early downs in Week 3 over newly-signed RB Devonta Freeman who needs to learn a new playbook on short notice. The Giants are the NFL's most pass-heavy team in neutral situations, making Lewis a worthwhile add in all 12-team leagues. Lewis, Freeman, and deep sleeper Wayne Gallman will be competing for touches with Saquon Barkley (ACL) out for the season. All three should be on fantasy benches as roles shake out. It's certainly possible there are no true winners in this competition.

RELATED: 

Devonta Freeman

, Wayne Gallman

Sep 23, 2020, 1:52 AM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Dion Lewis is "the best bet to be the Giants' top running back with Saquon Barkley out for the season."

Raanan is as plugged in as it gets in New York, and he advises to "get on that waiver wire and grab Lewis. ASAP." Lewis is trusted in pass protection and should have the advantage on early downs in Week 3 over newly-signed RB Devonta Freeman who needs to learn a new playbook on short notice. The Giants are the NFL's most pass-heavy team in neutral situations, making Lewis a worthwhile add in all 12-team leagues. Lewis, Freeman, and deep sleeper Wayne Gallman will be competing for touches with Saquon Barkley (ACL) out for the season. All three should be on fantasy benches as roles shake out. It's certainly possible there are no true winners in this competition.

RELATED: 

Devonta Freeman

, Wayne Gallman

Sep 23, 2020, 1:52 AM ET
Maybe this week, but IMO Freeman is the RB to own after that.

if Barkley was having a hard time gaining yards ...well, now imagine Freeman or Lewis ...... get the RB that will get the majority of the receiving  :2cents:
He had 4 carries for 28 yards before he got hurt against the Bears. Steelers game was just one of those things where everything was stacked against him.

I would sit all these guys until we say how snaps and opportunities sort out.  If I had to start one I would go with Dion.

Users who are viewing this thread