Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Homeland

Usual21

Next few shows will be huge to see if this show was a one season wonder as we all thought. I can't see a conceivable way where Brody isnt arrested in a few episodes. Where I could see Brody being still part of the show is them offering him a plea deal to go undercover or maintain his cover and bring them more intel from the other side, but this show will just be 24 all over again if this is the case.

Next few shows will be huge to see if this show was a one season wonder as we all thought. I can't see a conceivable way where Brody isnt arrested in a few episodes. Where I could see Brody being still part of the show is them offering him a plea deal to go undercover or maintain his cover and bring them more intel from the other side, but this show will just be 24 all over again if this is the case.

I never watched 24. Can you compare the two for me? Are they similar in style or is Homeland a litte more grown up? It always seemed to me that 24 was just an action packed thrill ride, whereas Homeland might be a little more intelligent. :shrug: Just going on what I've heard about 24, with nothing to back it up. Curious to hear how they compare, or not.

I never watched 24. Can you compare the two for me? Are they similar in style or is Homeland a litte more grown up? It always seemed to me that 24 was just an action packed thrill ride, whereas Homeland might be a little more intelligent. :shrug: Just going on what I've heard about 24, with nothing to back it up. Curious to hear how they compare, or not.
The two showrunners of this show Howard Gordon and Alex Ganza, were big parts of 24 so they have that in their DNA. The show did a real good job season 1 not falling into 24's action packed style of shootem up and when things go wrong and every 6 or so episodes featured a Bad Guy and when he was killed a newer Bad Guy even bigger then him etc..For all the logical leaps of Homeland season 1 (an American POW could be turned into a terrorist) the show was grounded in reality and was completely believable at least to me. 24 was a very entertaining show but got stale after a few season of repeating same plot devices (mole each season, Good guys turn bad etc...)Homeland for sure has some of the DNA of 24 but is well written and more brains then 24's brawn.

The two showrunners of this show Howard Gordon and Alex Ganza, were big parts of 24 so they have that in their DNA. The show did a real good job season 1 not falling into 24's action packed style of shootem up and when things go wrong and every 6 or so episodes featured a Bad Guy and when he was killed a newer Bad Guy even bigger then him etc..For all the logical leaps of Homeland season 1 (an American POW could be turned into a terrorist) the show was grounded in reality and was completely believable at least to me. 24 was a very entertaining show but got stale after a few season of repeating same plot devices (mole each season, Good guys turn bad etc...)Homeland for sure has some of the DNA of 24 but is well written and more brains then 24's brawn.
I agree with this. The later seasons of 24 were really just more over the top than usual over the top 24ness

I'm digging it so far this season. We saw at the end of this last episode what happened, but we are made to believe that Saul will know the truth and reveal it to those at Langley. Right? Yeah, I doubt that. He gets captured or sits on it to verify or something. No way they 'out' Brody already for good. If they did or killed off Brody, as a few here have suggested, they don't really have much of a backup for the main plot and this show would die a dismal death far too early.

I'm digging it so far this season. We saw at the end of this last episode what happened, but we are made to believe that Saul will know the truth and reveal it to those at Langley. Right? Yeah, I doubt that. He gets captured or sits on it to verify or something. No way they 'out' Brody already for good. If they did or killed off Brody, as a few here have suggested, they don't really have much of a backup for the main plot and this show would die a dismal death far too early.

I think they can survive without Brody. It'll be difficult, but these writers are more than up to the task.

Again, the original plan was to kill Brody at the end of S1 anyway.

I think they can keep building around the Carrie/Saul framework and move on just fine. They have this season to further develop that. Who knows, maybe they even plan to start developing the next main storyline in the 2nd half of this season. We all know Brody is done for sometime before S3 starts. With this show, they very well might decide to take him out around mid-season.

Showtime convinced them at the end of season one to keep Brody since he had awesome chemistry with Danes. I can't see them deciding to keep him around to survive season one only for a few episodes more. He will be a factor all season that is something i am certain, if we believe it that is something else

That's what I thought, thanks for the breakdown. :thumbup:

Showtime convinced them at the end of season one to keep Brody since he had awesome chemistry with Danes. I can't see them deciding to keep him around to survive season one only for a few episodes more. He will be a factor all season that is something i am certain, if we believe it that is something else

I think that's the likely scenario, but I'm absolutely not certain.

They just put Brody "on the clock" roughly 8 episodes before anybody thought they would. I wouldn't bet against them offing him 4-5 episodes before we all think they will.

They just put Brody "on the clock" roughly 8 episodes before anybody thought they would. I wouldn't bet against them offing him 4-5 episodes before we all think they will.

I guess I am one of those who thinks there will not be much of a show without him.

Not sure where they intended to go with S1 with him being written off.

Can someone take a stab at what S3+ would be like without him there?

Just seems like the show IS him, not sure how it could go on without him.

I guess I am one of those who thinks there will not be much of a show without him.

I have no idea, but clearly, they are going to try.

The excitement of the Brody character is that we all know it will end, right? The took their foot off the pedal and didn't follow through in S1. Fine, and I'm mostly glad they did, but they can't get away with it again.

These guys make a living writing compelling stories. Either they can keep doing it in this framework (Carrie/Saul), or they can't. We'll find out.

Here's why I think they can pull it off:

As nice of an idea as the "POW might've turned" thing is, hasn't the novelty of that sort of worn off? Really, Brody's just a mole at this point.

At this point, Homeland is just an spy thriller with a well-planted mole. Great premise, but they aren't re-inventing the wheel here.

Homeland's success, now, is in the execution.

He flees the country and CIA chases after him while he bombs embassy's and riots in the streets.. :shrug:

He flees the country and CIA chases after him while he bombs embassy's and riots in the streets.. :shrug:
Yeah, I think there's potential in a "Brody on the run" storyline. It's not like he'd be the first terrorist that the CIA couldn't catch. Though, I can't imagine they have the budget to do that for very long.

I still contend that Danes is the weakest part of the show.

What don't you like about her?
I'm not sure if it's the direction or her acting, but I'm with Marvin. Way overwrought. Granted, she's still fine, but all this "she's so great!" and the Emmy? JFC.
I agree with Marvin and Apple Jack. Not only overwrought, but overweight. I guess it could be the cinematography, but Danes seems like 30 pounds too heavy for this role, which is just bad acting. Also, why doesn't she have a fake French accent, or maybe Italian? That would lend some real mystery and flavor to her performance, but no, nothing. Not to mention the fact that she can't seem to stay in character consistently: one minute she's acting like a brunette, the next minute she's acting like a blonde. You can't blame that on the script. It's just a shallow, skittish performance.
Well played but she's still wrong for the role.
Not that it makes you wrong (even though you are), but the show creators wanted Danes so bad they originally named the character "Claire" hoping it would persuade her to take the role.
:shrug: Doesn't change my opinion about her at all.

Yeah, I think there's potential in a "Brody on the run" storyline. It's not like he'd be the first terrorist that the CIA couldn't catch. Though, I can't imagine they have the budget to do that for very long.
That was kind of the theme for the last season of Sleeper Cell, another great showtime series. Even if they try and do something like that, I would still expect them to introduce a new charismatic secret enemy

Not a terribly exciting episode, but it makes sense they had to take the foot off the pedal a bit.

I was happy when Saul pulled the SD card out of the handle of the case. For a second, I was worried that were going to wimp out on us.

The Brody/Jessica stuff was nice. Something's gotta give there.

The extended scenes of Carrie falling apart are starting to get a little old. I like the character and the acting's great, but they are starting to go overboard with it. It felt like they spent 20 minutes doing the pill scene. I have no idea why it would take that long to get the "Carrie's losing it" point across.

Not a terribly exciting episode, but it makes sense they had to take the foot off the pedal a bit. I was happy when Saul pulled the SD card out of the handle of the case. For a second, I was worried that were going to wimp out on us.The Brody/Jessica stuff was nice. Something's gotta give there.The extended scenes of Carrie falling apart are starting to get a little old. I like the character and the acting's great, but they are starting to go overboard with it. It felt like they spent 20 minutes doing the pill scene. I have no idea why it would take that long to get the "Carrie's losing it" point across.

Yup a little slower of an episode but like you said hard to follow up those first two weeks with another topper. I was more suprised that Saul went right to Carries house and actually showed her the video. Was saying to the Mrs when Saul was bein held at the airport that it wasn't the video, and If he was any good at what he does he would have a backup or hid it somewhere else. For a moment I thought the knock on her door was going to be Brody and not Saul at the end. Well the cats out of the bag now, I guess we'll be tailing Brody and trying to get more evidence for his arrest, although I'm not sure how much more you need after that video. But they'll probably want take down his whole cell.And the pill scene was needed, because she was killing herself, and then the next scene she was redeemed. Pretty good stuff. Edited by Billy Bats

Billy from a legal standpoint they really have nothing on Brody when you think about it. They have a confession to a crime that never took place, so they actually have nothing and an arrest now will probably halt any wrongdoings he would do, so tailing him for a while is probably the shark move

I don't get the feeling that Brody loves his wife or family. He is walking through the motions in order to keep his cover. Not sure how Brody is going to bite it or not but he could end up taking out the President.

Brody does need to go. His wife won't miss him much as she will fall into the other Marines arms. She will be the heart broken, mourning, widower. That said, I am not sure where Carrie goes with her character or Saul after this series of events happens.

The suicide attempt was well done. You can't just plow through something like that like she's taking out the trash. Especially if you're going to get the viewer to appreciate the low to high emotional arc that she experienced there.

Maybe I was just getting impatient, but it felt unnecessarily long to me. Carrie's awesome. The scene was well done. But I'm just not sure we needed all that. With the reaction to the Estes giving her the boot, it shouldn't have taken much filming of Carrie at home being sad to get the point across. Now, I wouldn't have minded giving the tailor a little more screen time. The emotional turmoil and indecision he was going through was pretty awesome to watch.

I like the show and am willing to believe a lot of things in the name of a tv show plot, but do we really think a terrorist organization would send a US congressman, who is the best deep cover asset they have, to pick up the loose end (tailor)?

Think of all the places he was, or could be, seen, with no plausible explanation. Imagine if the CIA did have the tailor under surveillance. No way they send Brodie in real life. Unless they wanted to kill him too.

I like the show and am willing to believe a lot of things in the name of a tv show plot, but do we really think a terrorist organization would send a US congressman, who is the best deep cover asset they have, to pick up the loose end (tailor)?Think of all the places he was, or could be, seen, with no plausible explanation. Imagine if the CIA did have the tailor under surveillance. No way they send Brodie in real life. Unless they wanted to kill him too.

:goodposting: That was pretty ridiculous.And you bring up a good point. It seems somewhat likely that Nazir tries to kill Brody.Clearly, they know he's been exposed. They just don't know how high up. They know Saul saw the video, which could be more than enough reason to off Brody. Edited by pollardsvision

I like the show and am willing to believe a lot of things in the name of a tv show plot, but do we really think a terrorist organization would send a US congressman, who is the best deep cover asset they have, to pick up the loose end (tailor)?Think of all the places he was, or could be, seen, with no plausible explanation. Imagine if the CIA did have the tailor under surveillance. No way they send Brodie in real life. Unless they wanted to kill him too.

yeah this episode was by far the first episode where I felt I was watching 24 again, not in terms of action but in terms of forcing the plot to go the way they want it to go without it feeling natural.First that stop at the security checkpoint of Saul. Yeah I know he outsmarted them with a copy but would they really think a CIA operative having gotten the data had not instantly sent it to Langley already? What if he just emailed the content to himself, thats all he needed to do.Also them making him drive to the dude was just crazy, and the sad part is, it wasnt even needed, there were so many things they could do with Brody, why send him off on a taxi mission, it wasn't even interesting to us viewers?Sad to see this show start falling apart before our eyes.

Everyone talks about Brody leaving - but I think the show needs to go. Not that I think its bad - it isn't - but two seasons would be enough. Finish the story with Brody and then end it. It would be a good way to go out.

Do you know which network you are talking about? Weeds was critically hailed seasons 1 and 2, then they trodded out 6 more freaking seasons. Dexter was great at first then they went on and on and though its getting better now it has an 8th season ordered. Every other show that no one watches gets multiple seasons as well. You think the one show that finally won the Network some awards will go out after 2 seasons because the network cares about the quality? They will keep churning Homeland until at least season 7 with the plot then focusing on whether or not Carrie should eat Breakfast or lunch, or possibly a brunch at noon and Brody will be in Guantanamo leading a secret terror cell

:goodposting:

I agree with this as well.

Everyone talks about Brody leaving - but I think the show needs to go. Not that I think its bad - it isn't - but two seasons would be enough. Finish the story with Brody and then end it. It would be a good way to go out.

Do you know which network you are talking about? Weeds was critically hailed seasons 1 and 2, then they trodded out 6 more freaking seasons. Dexter was great at first then they went on and on and though its getting better now it has an 8th season ordered. Every other show that no one watches gets multiple seasons as well. You think the one show that finally won the Network some awards will go out after 2 seasons because the network cares about the quality? They will keep churning Homeland until at least season 7 with the plot then focusing on whether or not Carrie should eat Breakfast or lunch, or possibly a brunch at noon and Brody will be in Guantanamo leading a secret terror cell
Isn't the whole point these people make these series to get picked up to eventually have several seasons?I get it that some series can seem to drag out more than needed but from their POV I don't get why they would take on starting a series if they figure lets just wrap this up in season 2.

Isn't the whole point these people make these series to get picked up to eventually have several seasons?I get it that some series can seem to drag out more than needed but from their POV I don't get why they would take on starting a series if they figure lets just wrap this up in season 2.

It's possible that a show might voluntarily decide to pull the plug after a couple seasons. They did it with the British version of the Office. I can't really think of any American shows that have done it, though. There's too much money to be made when you've got a show that's successful.

No comments at this funny exchange on the lawn.

Mike: She kicked ### tonight Brody. She was ####### awesome

Brody: I bet she was. Shes always been a good hostess

second of confusion on Mike's face

Mike: No, I mean she gave a great speech tonight

I would like to see the show continue but the story of Brody must end this season. No reason they cant continue the series with a different story line.

Seeing Carrie jump up and vomit out those pills was the most disappointing thing I've seen in a long time.

Is suicide by pills/booze a nice easy way out? Like, drift off to sleep and never wake up?Or does it get ugly at the end with lots of convulsing and agony?Just for research purposes. :unsure:

So Saul will be killed soon, and Carrie will know that he was killed to cover up the Brodie tape. Then we will have a showdown between Estes and Carrie. Estes will know that Carrie knows and offer her job back for her silence. Or, best case scenario Carrie is killed and the show can finally drop the dead weight/crazy eyes.

People like to nitpick in the Walking Dead thread but the fact that the terrorists used a world famous POW/Congressman to transport a nobody tailor to a safe house (while the CIA was in pursuit) was probably the biggest stretch of truth in the series so far. Still a great episode but I really dont hope they keep going down this path.

So Saul will be killed soon, and Carrie will know that he was killed to cover up the Brodie tape. Then we will have a showdown between Estes and Carrie. Estes will know that Carrie knows and offer her job back for her silence. Or, best case scenario Carrie is killed and the show can finally drop the dead weight/crazy eyes.

stupid previews ruined this for me. Estes clearly finds out the truth next episode

People like to nitpick in the Walking Dead thread but the fact that the terrorists used a world famous POW/Congressman to transport a nobody tailor to a safe house (while the CIA was in pursuit) was probably the biggest stretch of truth in the series so far. Still a great episode but I really dont hope they keep going down this path.

I understand this point, but it's not like 12 other terrorists said they couldnt do it because they were chilling in the diner and not helping the cause. Who else was gonna go and save Brody's cover? It's making him realize he's in way over his head and shouldn't be involved this deeply, stupidly running around trying to coverup. About to send him off the deep end.

Claire Danes is such a great actress. Her reaction when Estes asked her "You didnt think this would be your ticket back to the CIA, did you?" was phenomenal. Like a "Noooooo" aww shucks kind of reaction as if she did kind of think it would.

:lmao: I was just thinking about how bad she is. The scene where she tells her dad she is going home was laughable.