What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Brandon LaFell - I just... LaFell in love. (1 Viewer)

rizzler

Footballguy
anyone else buying on Brandon LaFell? Looked very good the first 2 games. QB is chucking the rock. Getting a fair amount of targets. Could be a fantastic WR3 going forward with WR2 potential all over it.

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good talent, and Cam seems to look for him. The only issue with projecting him as a WR2 or WR3 is that you have Steve Smith as the clear first option, and one of the two tight ends as generally the second option. Olsen and Shockey have both been active in the first two games (more Olsen in the first, Shockey in the second). Lafell will get his opportunities, but remember that the passing game is not likely to be at the same level for the remainder of the year as it has been the past two weeks. With 400+ passing yards, a lot of people are going to get touches...but when the passing game only puts up 250, I don't know that Lafell will still put up startable fantasy stats.

For the record, Lafell was passed on the depth chart by David Gettis last season, and if not for an injury, he probably would still be the third receiver on the team.

I like the guy and think he has WR2 or 3 POTENTIAL, but I think he's more of a long term hold than someone you plug in right away.

Naanee is the better buy.
Totally disagree. LaFell is the one to own here.More athletic, and has a better rapport with Newton, imo.I think LaFell has much more upside than Naanee. Not even close.
+1. LaFell has looked so smooth. And with Steve Smith getting hot right now, the defensive pressure will be off LaFell even moreso to open the possibility for the big plays4-70/04-49/1Pretty good for the first 2 games.

Good talent, and Cam seems to look for him. The only issue with projecting him as a WR2 or WR3 is that you have Steve Smith as the clear first option, and one of the two tight ends as generally the second option. Olsen and Shockey have both been active in the first two games (more Olsen in the first, Shockey in the second). Lafell will get his opportunities, but remember that the passing game is not likely to be at the same level for the remainder of the year as it has been the past two weeks. With 400+ passing yards, a lot of people are going to get touches...but when the passing game only puts up 250, I don't know that Lafell will still put up startable fantasy stats.For the record, Lafell was passed on the depth chart by David Gettis last season, and if not for an injury, he probably would still be the third receiver on the team. I like the guy and think he has WR2 or 3 POTENTIAL, but I think he's more of a long term hold than someone you plug in right away.
I see your point. But LaFell has the exact amount of targets as Olsen (10), and 2 more than Shockey (8). So not exactly accurate.He's also caught 8 of the 10 passes. That won't go unnoticed.

have you seen any of their games this season? all naanee does is drop passes... if he does catch them, it's a fluke. he's been targeted 12 times and has "caught" 3 passes. lafell is building a good rapport with cam and cam is looking his way when smitty doesn't have 3 guys around him. outside of cam, smitty, the te's, and the rb's, lafell is the only rosterable player for the panthers... imo.

LaFell is worth a roster spot but there are a lot of mouths to feed in CAR since they have 2 quality TEs. I may add LaFell to a roster but I hope I do not have to start him. Maybe he will come in handy during bye weeks.

LaFell is worth a roster spot but there are a lot of mouths to feed in CAR since they have 2 quality TEs. I may add LaFell to a roster but I hope I do not have to start him. Maybe he will come in handy during bye weeks.
i agree that in redraft leagues, he's not going to put up much and there are better options on the WW currently. in dynasty though he's a good grab now and could make a splash in a year or two.

Way off here, I believe. Naanee has looked terrible this season, and I think that Lafell will easily outperform him. Naanee continues to be out of position and drop passes, despite Cam looking to him quite often.

Good talent, and Cam seems to look for him. The only issue with projecting him as a WR2 or WR3 is that you have Steve Smith as the clear first option, and one of the two tight ends as generally the second option. Olsen and Shockey have both been active in the first two games (more Olsen in the first, Shockey in the second). Lafell will get his opportunities, but remember that the passing game is not likely to be at the same level for the remainder of the year as it has been the past two weeks. With 400+ passing yards, a lot of people are going to get touches...but when the passing game only puts up 250, I don't know that Lafell will still put up startable fantasy stats.For the record, Lafell was passed on the depth chart by David Gettis last season, and if not for an injury, he probably would still be the third receiver on the team. I like the guy and think he has WR2 or 3 POTENTIAL, but I think he's more of a long term hold than someone you plug in right away.
I see your point. But LaFell has the exact amount of targets as Olsen (10), and 2 more than Shockey (8). So not exactly accurate.He's also caught 8 of the 10 passes. That won't go unnoticed.
When you look at just the numbers, sure. The issue is that in week one, Cam targeted Olsen heavily, while in week two he targeted Shockey heavily (Olsen was blocking most of the game, due to Otah's injury). The point is that one of the two tight ends has been the second option both weeks.I love Lafell and think the improvement over last year is incredible...I just don't know if I would feel comfortable starting him this season unless I was in a 14-16 team league.

It appears that LaFell is coming into his own and pushing Naanee to the side. I would think IF the Panthers continue to feature the pass, then within a month, LaFell is at least a solid flex/WR3 for most larger leagues.

In dynasty I like him a lot more because we have a 2nd year player who does seem to be making progress and the #1 on the team is older and the competition for that spot is sparce. These are the kind of situations that can spawn a very good WR when you have a young QB leaning on a good vet but at the same time growing with another young guy without having other people vying for his attention.

Not saying it will end up with the same success but I liken it to Reggie Wayne/marvin Harrison/ Peyton manning with these young Carolina kids.

I picked up up off of waivers this morning. Tempted to dump Garcon for him in another league. Gotta be better then the Colts WRs not named Wayne. (I know... awesome story).

have you seen any of their games this season? all naanee does is drop passes... if he does catch them, it's a fluke. he's been targeted 12 times and has "caught" 3 passes. lafell is building a good rapport with cam and cam is looking his way when smitty doesn't have 3 guys around him. outside of cam, smitty, the te's, and the rb's, lafell is the only rosterable player for the panthers... imo.
I agree, how long before they sit this guy down? Seems like they would have guaranteed his contract though since he's a vet, but he should be cut. Pilares or Edwards could do better in that role or even Ajirotutu. Surely they can't be any worseAs far as Lafell, the light seems to be going on with this kid. Not sure I'd buy in typical redrafts yet but he looks like bargain for anyone in a dynasty that acquired this off-season

B. Lafell doesn't have the mentality of a pro = but he has the raw skills and its showing. Reason, (and only reason) that Naenae is on the team is Lafell's immaturity and familiarity that the head coach had with him form his days in San Diego. S.Smith helps Lafell not hurt him.

S.Smith helps Lafell not hurt him.
Yep. Once teams figure out that Smith is dangerous again because Newton can get him the ball, they will take that away from them, and Carolina's other receivers could benefit. I haven't see them play at all, so I have no idea if LaFell is this good, but I am intrigued.

This guy was seriously flying under the radar, so I thought Id start a thread.

Ive watched the highlights of game 1, and the entire game 2nd game... and he looked pretty damn good in both. I see his numbers staying fairly stable, if not trending upwards once Smith starts getting doubled again

This guy was seriously flying under the radar, so I thought Id start a thread.Ive watched the highlights of game 1, and the entire game 2nd game... and he looked pretty damn good in both. I see his numbers staying fairly stable, if not trending upwards once Smith starts getting doubled again
I've watched both games start to finish and my concern is that he can't get any separation. It's great that he's making the tough catches. I just don't see his targets increasing when most of the time Cam looks for him their is an opponent blocking his view while Olsen/Shockey are running clear.

I'm just speculating here... seems like Naanee is getting more playing time only because he has a better grasp of the playbook. LaFell seems like the better playmaker. Once LaFell becomes more familiar with the system maybe there is decent upside here.

I'm just speculating here... seems like Naanee is getting more playing time only because he has a better grasp of the playbook. LaFell seems like the better playmaker. Once LaFell becomes more familiar with the system maybe there is decent upside here.
Did you watch the game? I watched what they showed on RZ channel and Naane was the 3rd WR not LafellIn one league before roster cuts I offered everyone in my league Lafell for their 2012 3rd round dynasty pick and no one bit. I'm now kinda glad that they didn't because i think this guy could be something. Attention is going to be on stopping that run game and Steve Smith with Olsen/Shockey also on DC's mind. Hopefully Lafell can make them pay now Carolina has a passing game

Just picked him and dumped Braylon. Like what Ive seen and that offense is dying for a #2 guy to step up.

his qb just threw for almost 900 yards and lafell put up nothing great...i'm not buying him right now

his qb just threw for almost 900 yards and lafell put up nothing great...i'm not buying him right now
8 for 110 and a TD with some amazing grabs. Thats WR3 numbers. Better numbers than Roddy White for example. For dynasty leaguers especially its a situation to watch. Generally though yeah I agree, most are probably higher on him than I am. Pilares is the guy that intrigues me in dynasty on this team.

Yep, I'm buying.

It's the best time to do it, before the numbers make it so that everyone else in your league goes after him too.

As crazy as it may sound, you could make the case that he was better than Smith last Sunday. Smith had a couple of key drops and, of course, essentially gave the game away with the dip#### fumble in what felt like a do-or-die drive.

LaFell made the 2 catches that gave the Panthers a chance in that game. Both incredibly high degree of difficulty. Both must have's.

It makes sense that Cam will start going to LaFell more and more this season. If you wait for it to happen, it very well could be too late.

In dynasty, obviously it would be wise to roster a 24 YO guy who's looking like Cam's go-to guy of the future.

Not that he's a shoe-in for production this season, but players can play their way into more opportunities. LaFell appears to be doing just that.

On the fence.

Going against him- Newton has 83 attempts and LaFell has 10 targets- 1/8.3 attempts is 4 targets a game on an average team most years. His 80% catch rate is unsustainable- more likely in the 60% range for the season which means 2.4 catches a game for an average team with his usage.

Going for him- He isn't even the #2 on the team right now. Nanee only has 3 catches on 12 targets- if he is demoted Lafell could see an increase in targets even as Carolina's passing attempts decline.

Worth a hold in deeper leagues but if he isn't getting on the field more soon I will cut him.

I just picked him up in my dynasty league. He wasn't even on the radar since Carolina's offense has been so bad for so long. I don't see him putting up monster numbers this year, but he definitely has the look of Cam's future #1 WR.

'Beerguzzler said:
I just picked him up in my dynasty league. He wasn't even on the radar since Carolina's offense has been so bad for so long. I don't see him putting up monster numbers this year, but he definitely has the look of Cam's future #1 WR.
Gettis injury is giving LaFell a shot but if Gettis comes back strong he is more of a number 1.

MIGHT have been the torrential rain that pounded the field for the entire first half.
Or the fact that CAM wasn't happy with 4 ints last week and backed off looking for a guy who can't get separation.
Should have clarified, I was talking about why Newton didn't look great. Still, I reckon LaFell will continue his old routine. Nothing but a tease, and never worth starting, even if he does have an occasional good game.

Newton didn't really look to his wide receivers too much beyond about five yards deep because of the rain. Lafell (and Smith and Newton) will be fine. The rain just screwed things up.

Newton didn't really look to his wide receivers too much beyond about five yards deep because of the rain. Lafell (and Smith and Newton) will be fine. The rain just screwed things up.
Actually I don't think Jax is being given enough credit. That is a good defense. They played well and didn't make very many mistakes. Add that to Cam being off, way off. And he was off well before the rain really got going. Still I think that makes this win even a better growing experience. They found a way to win on a day where nothing was really working but the defense was keeping them in the game. Cam made plays at the end when he had to. So all in all I'm happy. I do have a concern with the receivers. We are one of the league leaders in drops so far this season. That's not a good stat.

Users who are viewing this thread