What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Brandon LaFell - I just... LaFell in love. (1 Viewer)

his qb just threw for almost 900 yards and lafell put up nothing great...i'm not buying him right now
The key to FF is predicting the future. Otherwise the best players wind up on other people's rosters.
I was saying that if Lafell didn't put up numbers when his QB threw for 900 yards over 2 games, then under what circumstances is he going to put up numbers?This is chess not checkers

Any new thoughts on LaFell after week 4? He had 6 targets, caught 4 for 42 yards and continues to outperform Naanee who had a whopping 11 targets but caught just 4 for 27 yards. How long can they keeping playing Naanee with his horrid completion precentage? Admittedly I didn't watch the game, maybe Cam was simply missing him. Anyone have any insight here? Shockey is banged up with a possible concussion and this could lead to more WR targets in the near term. Wondering if LaFell could be in for a good game against the Saints this week. Should be a real shootout.

Cam missed a throw or two to Naanee, but for the most part he was absolute garbage. I can't imagine that the team is stupid enough to continue to give him that many opportunities. During the entire game, my friends and I (all Panthers fans) would cringe every time we saw Naanee get a little bit of seperation, because we knew that the ball would be going his way and he would drop it. He has hands of stone and doesn't seem to have any fire at all.

Hopefully the San Diego connection will eventually wear off and he can ride the bench (or be cut entirely). I would expect Lafell to benefit the most from his benching (hopefully), along with Seyi, Armanti Edwards, or possibly even Keoloha Pilares.

Looks the the Observer reads these boards

It's time to start LaFell

Posted: Wednesday, Oct. 05, 2011One of the most important - but hidden - statistics for a receiver is how many yards they average when the quarterback targets them with the football.

Based on my analysis of this number in particular through the first quarter of the NFL season, I think it's time Brandon LaFell starts in front of Legedu Naanee at wide receiver for Carolina.

Simply put, bad things - or nothing - seems to happen when Cam Newton is throwing at Naanee. I compared Naanee's averages in several ways to LaFell and also to Steve Smith and tight ends Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey, who have been Carolina's three most productive receivers so far this season. (For this exercise, I have excluded running backs since they generally aren't down-the-field receivers in Carolina's offense.)

First, here's how often Newton has thrown at each man this season, and how many they have actually caught for how much yardage:

Player Targeted-Caught-Yds

Smith 41 24 530

Olsen 27 17 219

Naanee 24 8 75

Shockey 20 11 178

LaFell 16 12 161

So while LaFell has caught 75 percent of the throws directed toward him, Naanee has caught only 33.3 percent of the ones Newton has thrown at him.

Now this isn't all Naanee's fault. Newton, for instance, once missed a wide-open Naanee in the end zone in the Arizona game.

But the numbers are pretty glaring. Here's the number of yards the Panthers have gained on average per play when each receiver was targeted (this includes completions and incompletions):

Smith 12.9

LaFell 10.1

Shockey 8.9

Olsen 8.1

Naanee 3.1

So far, Naanee has been an "almost" sort of player, as in he almost had a touchdown here or he almost caught that critical fourth-down pass against Chicago there.

I know Naanee is more familiar with the offense than LaFell, based on his time in San Diego, and I think Naanee can still be useful to the Panthers in all the three-wide sets. He obviously can get open or Newton wouldn't be throwing to him an average of six times per game.

I asked Panthers coach Ron Rivera on Monday if LaFell should get a chance to start over Naanee Monday, and he did not commit either way, saying both had played well. :)

But to me, the most prudent move now is to try LaFell as the starter for awhile. Based on the numbers, he deserves it.

Scott Fowler: 704-358-5140; sfowler@charlotteobserver.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The clamor is on in Charlotte to sit Nanee and move in LaFell. Based on what the team has done so far in cutting or sitting non-producers I would say it is only a matter of time before Lafell is getting more snaps.

Be aware that the kid from Hawaii Priloue (sp?) is going to start getting some time as it seems the high ankle sprain is cleared up. He is supposed to start with returning some kicks and punts. He has good hands, he showed the ability to get separation and he has big time top end speed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start getting in the mix for receiving snaps. The staff really likes him.

Pilares will most likely just return kicks for noe. Lafell, Armanti, and possibly Seyi would get the chances before him...at least for a little while.

I think that he has the most potential on the team after Lafell and Armanti (if he can live up to it). Gettis is of course a good option next year when he is back, as well.

Pilares will most likely just return kicks for noe. Lafell, Armanti, and possibly Seyi would get the chances before him...at least for a little while.
Yeah Pilares. Who is Seyi?
Hahah, don't make me try to spell it. Seyi Aritoutu? Former charger, played some decent football last year. We signed him late in the preseason when he was cut.
that's quite and understatement. dude had a hype train thread around here and had multiple games with 2 tds and like 150 or so IIRC.ETA shocking, I didn't. But he did have a great game week 9, and then did decent until jackson came back and other guys healed upAjirotutu was not selected in the 2010 NFL Draft but joined the team shortly after as a undrafted free agent. Ajirotutu received playing time due to the many injuries. He had a breakout game during week 9 on November 7, 2010 when he caught 4 catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns in the Chargers win over the Houston Texans. He ended the season with 13 catches for 262 yards and two touchdowns. He was waived on September 3, 2011.

Hahah, don't make me try to spell it. Seyi Aritoutu? Former charger, played some decent football last year. We signed him late in the preseason when he was cut.
You are off the hook on any spelling with me, you saw what I did to Pilares. I had forgotten about Seyi. Is he injured or something? He has been inactive for every game so far and I haven't heard his name mentioned once since the pickup.

You are off the hook on any spelling with me, you saw what I did to Pilares. I had forgotten about Seyi. Is he injured or something? He has been inactive for every game so far and I haven't heard his name mentioned once since the pickup.
Think he is healthy, has just been passed over. I expect to see him and pilares get some action as the season progresses.

Naanee finally shows worth Week 5: Panthers WR Legedu Naanee remained in the starting lineup Week 5 against the Saints amid speculation that Brandon LaFell might surpass him on the depth chart, and he went out to have his best performance of the season. Naanee totaled four catches for 63 yards. His longest catch went 28 yards and he was targeted a team-high eight times.
:shark:

Stay away from Nannee. Still had some bad drops and is about as useless as a starting WR can be. He is a terrible player and I see no way he keeps the starting job much longer.

Seyi's last name is pronouned I-Share-A-Tutu

why they keep throwing to nannee so much is maddening. he's marginal at best. Lafell got two targets, caught both and came inches awayfrom scoring. well he did 'score' but had it taken away on review. :kicksrock:

But Cam is locked on him.

why they keep throwing to nannee so much is maddening. he's marginal at best. Lafell got two targets, caught both and came inches awayfrom scoring. well he did 'score' but had it taken away on review. :kicksrock:But Cam is locked on him.
This isn't LaFell's year. Smith is 33 next year and Cam will have a lot more experience. That bodes well for LaFell but don't expect anything the rest of the year with Smith playing hot.

This thread has my favorite title of this season. As a Panther homer, I don't agree that Naanee is better than LaFell. I think the jury is still out on that one. I would like to see LaFell get more PT. I think that for dynasty, he's a stash, wait and see WR.

'BroadwayG said:
Still wrong. Sure, Nannee may have more targets and receptions at this point, but he has yet to be a good fantasy player. Lafell is the only one who has a chance of making an impact on your team.Naanee is useless and thankfully, Cam wasn't forcefeeding the ball to him nearly as much last week. In his defense, he actually did make two catches on his only two attempts. Usually it takes him 10 targets to make that many catches. For the record though, Lafell still has more fantasy points on the year than Naanee, and I see the gap getting larger.The real buy in Carolina is David Gettis, for dynasty players. He'll be the #2 next season (unless a good WR is drafted).

'BroadwayG said:
Still wrong. Sure, Nannee may have more targets and receptions at this point, but he has yet to be a good fantasy player. Lafell is the only one who has a chance of making an impact on your team.Naanee is useless and thankfully, Cam wasn't forcefeeding the ball to him nearly as much last week. In his defense, he actually did make two catches on his only two attempts. Usually it takes him 10 targets to make that many catches. For the record though, Lafell still has more fantasy points on the year than Naanee, and I see the gap getting larger.The real buy in Carolina is David Gettis, for dynasty players. He'll be the #2 next season (unless a good WR is drafted).
Since September 21st:Lafell - 6/74/0Naanee - 11/134/0I rest my case. :bowtie:

'BroadwayG said:
Very small window, less than a month. I'll also take Gettis over LaFell and LaFell over Naanee.

'BroadwayG said:
Still wrong. Sure, Nannee may have more targets and receptions at this point, but he has yet to be a good fantasy player. Lafell is the only one who has a chance of making an impact on your team. But hey, if you want to be brag about being "right" about a guy who has scored 24 PPR points in four games over a guy who has put up 13, then go right ahead. Naanee is useless and thankfully, Cam wasn't forcefeeding the ball to him nearly as much last week. In his defense, he actually did make two catches on his only two attempts. Usually it takes him 10 targets to make that many catches. For the record though, Lafell still has more fantasy points on the year than Naanee, and I see the gap getting larger.The real buy in Carolina is David Gettis, for dynasty players. He'll be the #2 next season (unless a good WR is drafted).
If your point is that neither one of them are worth starting on your fantasy team, then I guess the :bowtie: is warranted. Otherwise, you're talking about which player has more upside to be a producer, and that person is clearly Lafell.I can't imagine that anyone who has actually watched the Panther's play would think that Naanee is worth a roster spot, regardless of how deep your benches are.I love the Panthers and have watched every snap of every game (multiple times), but I wouldn't waste a roster spot on either. If I was playing for a stash and hope though, Lafell would be the guy. As I said before, David Gettis is the WR you should be making a play for in dynasty leagues. Also, I wouldn't be shocked to see Pilares get a few opportunities as the season moves on, but he would be used as more of a deep threat boom/bust guy at best.

'BroadwayG said:
Actually Lafell is 14/193/1 for the season and Naanee is 14/169/0. Seems to me that means LaFell has more fantasy points. And has them on far fewer targets.

Actually Lafell is 14/193/1 for the season and Naanee is 14/169/0. Seems to me that means LaFell has more fantasy points. And has them on far fewer targets.
Your point would be valid if my original 'better buy' statement was from August instead of September 21st after Lafell lucked into a TD and spurred this manlove you all have.

Lafell with 2/39/1 vs. 3/21/0 for Nannee. I guess I should gloat now? No, I still think neither one is worth starting on any fantasy teams.

Had to bump... the other "newer" lafell threads had a WEAK title..

let's us all bask in this one's glory ;)

Had to bump... the other "newer" lafell threads had a WEAK title..let's us all bask in this one's glory ;)
Your thread title's good and you should feel good.
I feel greeeeeeat! This bowl of Frosted Flakes is just doing its job right now.I felt Lafell last season... and while he didnt "perform" to standards, the potential was there. The eye test was passed.This is definitely the season

Your point would be valid if my original 'better buy' statement was from August instead of September 21st after Lafell lucked into a TD and spurred this manlove you all have.
Lafell was killing Naanee every time he stepped on the field. It was obvious he was going to overtake him at some point and it probably should have been sooner. As we should know around here it's not unusual for it take a couple of seasons for a WR to progress and mature. Given the lack of a pre-season I think Lafell is right where he should be. I see a slightly faster Moose when I see Lafell.

'NCCommish said:
Lafell was killing Naanee every time he stepped on the field. It was obvious he was going to overtake him at some point and it probably should have been sooner. As we should know around here it's not unusual for it take a couple of seasons for a WR to progress and mature. Given the lack of a pre-season I think Lafell is right where he should be. I see a slightly faster Moose when I see Lafell.
I hope he can give the same production as Moose

Had to bump... the other "newer" lafell threads had a WEAK title..let's us all bask in this one's glory ;)
Your thread title's good and you should feel good.
I feel greeeeeeat! This bowl of Frosted Flakes is just doing its job right now.I felt Lafell last season... and while he didnt "perform" to standards, the potential was there. The eye test was passed.This is definitely the season
I love that he is playing with the most exciting QB in the league. I love that the #1 across from him is aging. I love that 137 targets left town (Naanee/Shockey). Love his size. Entering his 3rd year. I am in.

From Steve Smith on a radio show recently "[LaFell] brings to the table the versatility and the ability to become a very very good receiver in this league. And so I don't really say that we need to have a viable second option. I think people need to understand and respect that he will be a phenomenal player. He is number 11, Brandon LaFell, starting wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers."

I didn't realize it, but LaFell had a 64% catch rate last year. Not too bad.

From Steve Smith on a radio show recently "[LaFell] brings to the table the versatility and the ability to become a very very good receiver in this league. And so I don't really say that we need to have a viable second option. I think people need to understand and respect that he will be a phenomenal player. He is number 11, Brandon LaFell, starting wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers."

Whats the league average?I agree 64% seems pretty solid.

Whats the league average?I agree 64% seems pretty solid.
Not sure, but according to footballoutsiders.com, for guys getting a minimum of 50 passes thrown their way, these are the guys who had an equal to or better catch rate:Marques Colston 75%

Hines Ward 73%

Percy Harvin 73%

Lance Moore 71%

Wes Welker 71%

Jordy Nelson 71%

Michael Jenkins 69%

James Jones 69%

Desmon Brisco 69%

Laurent Robinson 68%

Robert Meachem 67%

Greg Jenning 66%

Jeremy Maclin 66%

Nate Burleson 66%

Donald Driver 66%

Kevin Walter 66%

Andre Johnson 65%

Michael Crabtree 64%

Devery Henderson 64%

Jason Avant 64%

Victor Cruz 64%

The guys bolded were top 20 WR's in our 1ppr wr league last year.

It's going to be interesting to see how Gettis looks. Since he had more production than LaFell as rookies, I went back and watched a few games where Gettis put up some stats. Before, I was under the impression he was nothing more than a vertical / RZ guy. It's my opinion, but I was actually surprised not to mention impressed at his ability to run an effective route. Against the 49ers and with the exception of one ugly drop in the endzone, he made their CBs look foolish.

If he's healthy, it should be an interesting camp battle. I'd like to see Pilares do something as well.

From Evan Silva of Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40825/179/re-watch-ponder-dhb-gettis?pg=2

"Panthers wide receiver David Gettis

Brandon LaFell is often talked up as a 2012 breakout candidate, but it was 2010 sixth-round pick David Gettis playing ahead of LaFell two years ago, when both were rookies. (LaFell was drafted three rounds before Gettis.) Gettis opened 2011 training camp as the Panthers' starter opposite Steve Smith. Unfortunately, Gettis tore his left ACL on August 10 and missed the entire season.

Gettis turned in a pair of 90-plus yard performances as a rookie, amid oft-horrific quarterback play in Carolina. (Read: Jimmy Clausen.) For game review, I chose Gettis' season-best effort -- Week 7 versus San Francisco -- and an eight-target affair in the regular season finale against Atlanta.

Before we hit re-watching in full stride, it should be noted that Gettis was a three-time California high school state champ in the 400 meters. He can get it going for a big dude. Gettis stands 6-foot-3, 217, and ran 4.43 at the 2010 Combine. He bettered that with a 4.39 at Baylor's Pro Day.

Gettis played Z and slot in the 49ers game. He moved to X at Atlanta with Steve Smith (calf) out. Gettis isn't a natural, quick-twitch slot guy -- we'll get to his skill set in a bit -- but I always like it when young players know multiple receiver positions. Remember, Gettis was a late-round rookie.

Watching him play, it doesn't take long to notice that Gettis is a tenacious, physical blocker. He is an impact player in the running game, and I thought that was an especially promising trait for a supposed "track guy." Those types are not always considered physical. Gettis loves mixing it up.

The best Gettis block I saw came in the third quarter of the Falcons game. He locked onto CB Dunta Robinson and drove him 12 yards downfield to spring LaFell for 64 yards on an end around.

Gettis showed toughness as a pass catcher on an early second-quarter slot route against San Francisco, running right around CB Shawntae Spencer's man coverage off the line of scrimmage and securing Matt Moore's pass for 20 yards with S Reggie Smith draped all over him. Gettis absorbed a blow during the reception, but held on tight and popped right back up after the whistle.

The then 23-year-old caught his first NFL touchdown pass on an out-and-up double move in the red zone, juking Nate Clements to the point that the veteran cornerback literally fell down. Gettis comfortably hauled in Moore's 18-yard scoring strike.

Gettis' long catch of the 49ers game came on second-and-ten in the fourth quarter. Lined up in the slot, Gettis ran a deep corner route down the right sideline and tracked the ball fabulously in the air, sitting in a soft spot to execute the 39-yard connection over the top of Clements' coverage.

Gettis showed some resiliency late in the game. He had a brutal fourth-quarter drop of a would-be touchdown just a few snaps after the 39-yard gain, letting Moore's perfectly-placed pass bounce off his chest. Gathering himself, Gettis atoned on the next possession by blowing past Spencer's off coverage to pull in a diving 21-yard touchdown. The score tied the ballgame 20-20 with under two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, and John Kasay later banged home the game-winner.

Though less productive at Atlanta -- Jimmy Clausen was typically abysmal -- Gettis got open fairly consistently against Brent Grimes, more than holding his own versus the Falcons' top cornerback.

Gettis is a lanky, leggy long strider. He's not quick in a short area, but flashes ability to contort his body and secure errant throws. And he flies downfield. Gettis' explosion off the line is subpar, but he reaches top speed quickly enough to create separation in the intermediate and deep sections. I think Gettis could max out as a Braylon Edwards type; along the lines of his 2010 season with the Jets. Assuming Gettis bounces back from the ACL, his floor may be in the Michael Jenkins range.

Gettis isn't worth drafting in 2012 fantasy leagues, but he's a player to monitor closely as a vertical threat in a vertical offense. And he has a history of beating out the commonly higher-rated LaFell. At the very least, I think Gettis is capable of bringing a new dimension to Carolina's pass attack."

Brandon LaFell poised for breakout year for Panthers

By Brian McIntyre

Around the League writer

As we count down the days to training camp, Around the League will examine one player from every team set for a breakout campaign in 2012. Next up: the Carolina Panthers.

World, say "Hello" to Brandon LaFell.

Actually, if you're reading this, you're already well aware of who Brandon LaFell is. He was one of the most productive receivers in LSU history and a third-round pick by the Panthers in 2010. In two NFL seasons, LaFell has 74 receptions for 1,081 yards and four touchdowns while starting seven of 30 games.

In 2012, however, the 6-foot-3, 211-pound LaFell has an opportunity to become a household name.

Despite playing in nearly 66 percent of the Panthers' snaps last season, LaFell ranked sixth on the team in targets (56), behind the likes of Legedu Naanee (76), Jeremy Shockey (62) and Jonathan Stewart (61). With Naanee moving on, LaFell has the inside track on the No. 2 receiving job opposite Steve Smith. LaFell's 2011 season offered a glimpse of what he's capable of.

STAT GEEK ALERT!

As the No. 3 receiver last season, LaFell caught 36 passes for 613 yards and three touchdowns. Pretty good back-of-the-bubblegum card stats for a young receiver playing with a rookie quarterback in a season where neither had the benefit of a full NFL offseason. According to the advanced metrics at Football Outsiders, LaFell's 2011 put him in rather good company.

Football Outsiders' DYAR statistic, which "gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage," LaFell ranked among the top-32 receivers in the NFL last season, right below Buffalo's Stevie Johnson (who signed a $36.25 million contract extension in March) and Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe (who received but has yet to sign his $9.5 million franchise tag), but ahead of Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson (who signed a $48.5 million extension).

FO's other statistic for receivers, DVOA, represents a player's value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. That metric was kinder to LaFell, who ranked 11th among the 92 qualifying receivers. Johnson (51st) and Bowe (54th) couldn't crack the top 50, while Panthers teammate Smith ranked 24th.

Smith expects LaFell to be a "phenomenal" player going forward. With a full offseason to become more familiar in Rob Chudzinski's offense, and a better a rapport with Cam Newton, expect big things from LaFell this season.

Still don't feel it. And I even drafted him as a rookie
At best he is a really late round sleeper. After the year Newton had and those were the only numbers he produced then it is a little concerning.
People forget that he was third on the depth chart last year behind Naanee.Naanee's statline as WR2 for 2011 was: 75t/44r/467yds/1TDLaFell's statline as WR3 for 2011 was: 56t/36r/613yds/3TDNow obviously Gettis is coming back, but Naanee and Shockey are gone. They accounted for 137 targets between them last year, which will now primarily go to LaFell, Gettis and Olsen. Smith will take some but he was already at 129 targets last year, so I can't see him taking many more.If LaFell gets an extra 50 targets (and maintains his catch rate of 64%) he'd be looking at 106 targets with 67 receptions. Now his YPC last year was 17.0, which it won't be this season. But even giving him a YPC of 13 and factoring in a couple extra TDs and I think you'd be looking at:106t/67r/871yds/5TDsThat puts him firmly around WR30 territory according to FBG stats from last season, at a level similar to where Boldin/Crabtree/Maclin finished last season.Admittedly this is an optimistic outlook (and I should admit to owning him in a couple of leagues), but it makes him far more than a 'really late round sleeper' in my opinion.

Still don't feel it. And I even drafted him as a rookie
At best he is a really late round sleeper. After the year Newton had and those were the only numbers he produced then it is a little concerning.
People forget that he was third on the depth chart last year behind Naanee.Naanee's statline as WR2 for 2011 was: 75t/44r/467yds/1TDLaFell's statline as WR3 for 2011 was: 56t/36r/613yds/3TDNow obviously Gettis is coming back, but Naanee and Shockey are gone. They accounted for 137 targets between them last year, which will now primarily go to LaFell, Gettis and Olsen. Smith will take some but he was already at 129 targets last year, so I can't see him taking many more.If LaFell gets an extra 50 targets (and maintains his catch rate of 64%) he'd be looking at 106 targets with 67 receptions. Now his YPC last year was 17.0, which it won't be this season. But even giving him a YPC of 13 and factoring in a couple extra TDs and I think you'd be looking at:106t/67r/871yds/5TDsThat puts him firmly around WR30 territory according to FBG stats from last season, at a level similar to where Boldin/Crabtree/Maclin finished last season.Admittedly this is an optimistic outlook (and I should admit to owning him in a couple of leagues), but it makes him far more than a 'really late round sleeper' in my opinion.
Thats an awful lot of assumptions to think about if you plan on drafting him in the middle rounds.Look I obviously like Lafell and want him to succeed since he is on the panthers. He is physically a beast but there hasnt been a whole hell of a lot he has done to get me thinking he is a 1000 yard type receiver. If he couldnt get it done last year when they were slinging the ball everywhere why do I think its going to get better? Just because 2 guys above him left? I see your argument but I dont really adhere to it. As far as drafting him all I am saying is if it was me than I wouldnt pick him until way later in the draft and certainly as a potential sleeper that you could maybe plug in some bye weeks. Under no circumstance would I feel comfortable drafting him in the mid to later rounds expecting a 1000 yard type year. But your post and your analysis are the reason people win in fantasy and some might gamble with a higher pick for Lafell and be really surprised with the result. For this particular player since I have seen every game I just dont see a natural WR in this kid. Again your post was very good though.

Thats an awful lot of assumptions to think about if you plan on drafting him in the middle rounds.

Look I obviously like Lafell and want him to succeed since he is on the panthers. He is physically a beast but there hasnt been a whole hell of a lot he has done to get me thinking he is a 1000 yard type receiver. If he couldnt get it done last year when they were slinging the ball everywhere why do I think its going to get better? Just because 2 guys above him left? I see your argument but I dont really adhere to it. As far as drafting him all I am saying is if it was me than I wouldnt pick him until way later in the draft and certainly as a potential sleeper that you could maybe plug in some bye weeks. Under no circumstance would I feel comfortable drafting him in the mid to later rounds expecting a 1000 yard type year. But your post and your analysis are the reason people win in fantasy and some might gamble with a higher pick for Lafell and be really surprised with the result. For this particular player since I have seen every game I just dont see a natural WR in this kid.

Again your post was very good though.
:goodposting: This is my feeling as well. I liked him going into last season and traded for him early in the year but he doesn't play up to what he should on paper. Maybe that will change this year but I expected him to do more in the second half of last season and he didn't. Now he has to deal with the return of the guy who beat him out as a rookie (Gettis) rather than Naanee so I'm not expecting him to hold onto the #2 job too long.

Grabbed him in the 13th round of a 15 round PPR draft. He may have gone undrafted had I not taken him. Will stash him and hope for a breakout. I like his chances as a late round flier as much as any other guy out there. If you assume Cam will improve as a passer, and the reports of Cam and LaFell building good chemistry are true, no reason not to think he can be a serviceable WR3. Smitty drawing double coverage could help Lafell big time. I see an emerging Olsen as his biggest competition for targets, aside from Smitty, of course.

You know it often takes receivers 3-4 seasons to really start producing. LaFell had a good second season considering he had to share time with the worst free agent pickup in history. And allegedly he has been all over it in camp. Smith isn't one to praise lightly.

You know it often takes receivers 3-4 seasons to really start producing. LaFell had a good second season considering he had to share time with the worst free agent pickup in history. And allegedly he has been all over it in camp. Smith isn't one to praise lightly.
meh, that may be overstating things a bit. He passes the eyeball test for sure but not really the WR test. This preseason should tell us a lot about him. He didnt do anything Saturday but granted the offense was as bland as it could be. 13th round is a good and safe pick for Lafell.

Brandon LaFell reportedly has the No. 2 wide receiver job "pretty much locked up."

The job was LaFell's to lose as soon as the Panthers let Legedu Naanee walk after last season. The third-year LSU product has proceeded to hold off the likes of David Gettis, Louis Murphy and Joe Adams with ease. As an every-down receiver in OC Rob Chudzinski's aggressive system, there's a ton of breakout appeal in LaFell. He posted 613 yards, 17.0 yards per catch and three touchdowns in limited playing time a year ago.
Rizzler, you so fly.

Users who are viewing this thread