What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Brandon LaFell - I just... LaFell in love. (1 Viewer)

He's being dropped all over. :shrug:

To put it into perspective, he saw as many targets last week as he did week 1 (5). He just couldn't capitalize. I don't think this is last we've heard from him but now we know he'll be largely inconsistent for the remainder.

He's being dropped all over. :shrug:To put it into perspective, he saw as many targets last week as he did week 1 (5). He just couldn't capitalize. I don't think this is last we've heard from him but now we know he'll be largely inconsistent for the remainder.
I dropped him because I needed to add a dude badly from the waiver because I have 4 starters on Bye weeks. I'm hoping he doesn't do #### against the Seahawks so I can scoop him back up again.

He's being dropped all over. :shrug:To put it into perspective, he saw as many targets last week as he did week 1 (5). He just couldn't capitalize. I don't think this is last we've heard from him but now we know he'll be largely inconsistent for the remainder.
To be fair, we've known this for quite a while.

Maybe I was and am wrong, but I still like Murphy to put up similiar numbers. No way is LaFell a WR30.
You are wrong.
:popcorn:
i assumed you meant on the year.
I did...35 LaFell, Brandon CAR 3 1 25 0 10 182 1 0 36.7
To be fair, that's PPR. In non-PPR, LaFell is currently WR29 (pending the GB-SEA game).
Now WR50 or WR47 if you prefer non-ppr.He'll probably have a good week this week and move up to the WR40 range. He's 14 pts behind the WR30 spot which just so happens to be occupied by Steve Smith. Olsen is one point behind Smith's pace. Cam is QB4 in the fantasy rankings. Even though the pie has been large, lots of people with a chair at the table.

anybody still believe in LaFell? I picked him up again (used to have him before the bye) just as a speculation add, his schedule does open up a bit after DAL/CHI.

anybody still believe in LaFell? I picked him up again (used to have him before the bye) just as a speculation add, his schedule does open up a bit after DAL/CHI.
schedule doesnt really matter when you just are not very good
I mean, fantasy-wise he hasn't been good. But he's still a talented player and hasn't done anything to say he's 'bad'. If his targets increase to how they were in week 1/2 he could become viable again. Of course I could be totally wrong about this :D

He may be physically talented but he is not wide receiver talented. He simply just isnt very good. Not fast. Not aggressive and cannot make the tough catch. His fantasy schedule is not important when he cannot play. I have seen his every nfl game so i am confident in my assessment

He may be physically talented but he is not wide receiver talented. He simply just isnt very good. Not fast. Not aggressive and cannot make the tough catch. His fantasy schedule is not important when he cannot play. I have seen his every nfl game so i am confident in my assessment
I haven't seen as much of him as you have, but I definitely agree.

Only gets separation when Cam scrambles.Still hoping to see more snaps for Murphy.

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera said he believes the "arrow's still up" on Brandon LaFell.
As a full-time starter last year, LaFell posted a disappointing 44/677/4 line. "I think he is a solid No. 2 and he's still trending up," Rivera said. "Now it's just a matter of doing it. I really believe that." The Panthers haven't made LaFell compete for the No. 2 job in camp, instead forcing Domenik Hixon, Ted Ginn and Armanti Edwards to battle for No. 3 duties. Still, we haven't seen any signs that LaFell is capable of a true breakout. He's third in line for targets behind Steve Smith and Greg Olsen.

Source: Charlotte Observer

I've been to two Car practices since I've moved to Charlotte. LaFell looks good, real good from what I've seen. The problem is Cam doesn't seem to throw to anyone but Steve Smith in any 7 on 7 or team drills. If Cam doesn't progress, LaFell will be stuck.

On a Sid note, Beason may be the most ripped LB in the NFL. They guy looks like he's carved out of marble.

I've been to two Car practices since I've moved to Charlotte. LaFell looks good, real good from what I've seen. The problem is Cam doesn't seem to throw to anyone but Steve Smith in any 7 on 7 or team drills. If Cam doesn't progress, LaFell will be stuck.

On a Sid note, Beason may be the most ripped LB in the NFL. They guy looks like he's carved out of marble.
Best part of this post for me. Only thing preventing him from LB2 at worst is health. Id say LB1, but Kuechly is legit.

I don't see what makes him so exciting, when I watch him play nothing stands out to me and being the third option in Cam Newton's offense is also far from exciting. The Panthers are screwed when Smith is gone unless they can sign Nicks. Seems like a pretty "meh" type of player or draft pick to make in your league.

I've been to two Car practices since I've moved to Charlotte. LaFell looks good, real good from what I've seen. The problem is Cam doesn't seem to throw to anyone but Steve Smith in any 7 on 7 or team drills. If Cam doesn't progress, LaFell will be stuck.On a Sid note, Beason may be the most ripped LB in the NFL. They guy looks like he's carved out of marble.
Best part of this post for me. Only thing preventing him from LB2 at worst is health. Id say LB1, but Kuechly is legit.
I don't want to derail the thread too much here but I was telling my buddy, who went with me, that if Beason could ever stay healthy Car may have the best LB unit in the NFL. Kuechly is a beast we know. Davis is healthy and playing really well now. Beason just needs to do the same. By that I men stay healthy.

getting more tagets lately...

If Cam turns his season around and start looking Lafell's way there's sleeper potential...

I don't see what makes him so exciting, when I watch him play nothing stands out to me and being the third option in Cam Newton's offense is also far from exciting. The Panthers are screwed when Smith is gone unless they can sign Nicks. Seems like a pretty "meh" type of player or draft pick to make in your league.
Purely opportunity. Due to injuries to FAs coming in or poor play by draft picks, LaFell has had ZERO competition for the WR2 spot. Honestly, even a guy like Harry Douglas has done more to push Roddy White (and that is not saying much) than anyone has done to LaFell. There are a ton of WR3s and 4s in the league who could put up the seasonal lines that LaFell does just by having a good QB and a WR opposite of him that draws constant double teams. If this guy was getting 800-1000 yards a season we would be openly wondering whether it is due to Steve Smith drawing all the attention...what does it say about a guy who ends up with 600 yards annually in that situation?

getting more tagets lately...

If Cam turns his season around and start looking Lafell's way there's sleeper potential...
He's not really getting more targets. Two weeks ago he had nine because the Panthers were playing catch-up (something they rarely ever do, since they're usually in close games). He actually had his smallest amount of targets this past week (4) since week 1, he just happened to have the long touchdown.

Lafell is what he is. A guy that will get a few catches a game and occasionally get into the endzone or make a big play.

Rotoworld:

The Broncos are reportedly showing "huge interest" in free agent WR Brandon LaFell.
LaFell is in New England Wednesday visiting the Patriots. He couldn't take advantage of every-down single coverage in Carolina, but operating as the No. 3 receiver in Denver would be a whole other story. Even the stone-handed, blocking-minded LaFell would put up numbers.

Related: Broncos

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Panthers are reportedly interested in bringing back free agent WR Brandon LaFell.
LaFell is attracting a lot of attention for a drop-prone blocking wideout that has never topped 49 catches or 677 yards in his career. The Patriots, Broncos, Jets and now Panthers are all in the mix here. We hope Carolina doesn't want him back in the No. 2 role he played last year.

Related: Panthers

Rotoworld:

The Panthers are reportedly interested in bringing back free agent WR Brandon LaFell.
LaFell is attracting a lot of attention for a drop-prone blocking wideout that has never topped 49 catches or 677 yards in his career. The Patriots, Broncos, Jets and now Panthers are all in the mix here. We hope Carolina doesn't want him back in the No. 2 role he played last year.

Related: Panthers

If they bring back Lafell after dropping Smitty it may not be safe for Gettleman in the streets of Charlotte.

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "have had several discussions" with free agent Brandon LaFell's camp but have yet to schedule a visit.
It's a testament to just how bad the free-agent receiver class is when LaFell has a hot market. LaFell has been an utter disappointment since being a 2010 third-rounder. He never took the next step in Carolina and seems to have plateaued as a No. 3 receiver. Even the Panthers, who are the most desperate team in the league for receivers, haven't made a strong effort to re-sign LaFell.

Related: Jets

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets "have had several discussions" with free agent Brandon LaFell's camp but have yet to schedule a visit.
It's a testament to just how bad the free-agent receiver class is when LaFell has a hot market. LaFell has been an utter disappointment since being a 2010 third-rounder. He never took the next step in Carolina and seems to have plateaued as a No. 3 receiver. Even the Panthers, who are the most desperate team in the league for receivers, haven't made a strong effort to re-sign LaFell.

Rooting for the Jets to save Carolina here.

Rotoworld:

Why would you want to re-sign Lafell when James Jones is available?

Rotoworld:

I want the Jets to sign LaFell so we don't.

Rotoworld:

Ughh. As a fan of both teams, I hope he finds a home in one of 30 other cities.

Rotoworld:

LaFell sucks, but if he's dirt cheap, isn't that better than rolling with McNutt, King, and some rookies when you guys should be a playoff team?

Rotoworld:

LaFell sucks, but if he's dirt cheap, isn't that better than rolling with McNutt, King, and some rookies when you guys should be a playoff team?
Nope. He has crappy hands, he doesn't get separation and he can easily be single covered. He is no better than a number 3 receiver on his best day. But he is a hell of a downfield blocker and will help the running game. Jets can have him with my blessings.

Rotoworld:

At least the Browns started with Gordon, but they still needed at least 2-3 WRs via the draft and FA. The Jets start with Kerley and then still need a whole WR corps, they need Decker, and a Jones and another WR if they're going to be serious for a change. LaFell kind of makes sense there considering their emphasis on the run game. The Panthers don't even have a Kerley to start with.

At least the Browns started with Gordon, but they still needed at least 2-3 WRs via the draft and FA. The Jets start with Kerley and then still need a whole WR corps, they need Decker, and a Jones and another WR if they're going to be serious for a change. LaFell kind of makes sense there considering their emphasis on the run game. The Panthers don't even have a Kerley to start with.
Carolina will be going WR early and often in the draft. They have a huge need for an experienced WR and James Jones fills that hole as someone used to winning (and the Super Bowl).

Jones is a good blocker himself and would be more stability to the Jets than Lafell. He could also potentially help Stephen Hill, who has looked like a bust as Jones did early in his career.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston expects newly acquired Brandon LaFell a possibility to start at the "X" position with the Patriots.
Despite going 6'2/210, LaFell operated out of the slot a lot in Carolina. But with Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola the clear-cut top-two at that position in New England, LaFell will focus on the perimeter. There, he'll battle Aaron Dobson (who is coming off foot surgery) and Kenbrell Thompkins. As long as Dobson is healthy, we'd expect him to beat out LaFell.

Related: Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins

Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston expects newly acquired Brandon LaFell a possibility to start at the "X" position with the Patriots.
Despite going 6'2/210, LaFell operated out of the slot a lot in Carolina. But with Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola the clear-cut top-two at that position in New England, LaFell will focus on the perimeter. There, he'll battle Aaron Dobson (who is coming off foot surgery) and Kenbrell Thompkins. As long as Dobson is healthy, we'd expect him to beat out LaFell.

Related: Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins

Source: ESPN Boston
I wonder how much of this contract is guaranteed? My guess is Brandon doesn't make it opening day if everyone else is healthy.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe suggests Brandon LaFell could play the Aaron Hernandez role in the Patriots' offense this season.

"He played all of our wide receiver positions, plus he knew the tight end position," LaFell's ex-coach Ron Rivera said. LaFell stands in 6-foot-2, 210 and manned the slot in three-wide sets for the Panthers the past four seasons. He's also a willing blocker. The Patriots are extremely shallow at tight end behind Rob Gronkowski. LaFell isn't going to put up Hernandez numbers, but he could have a significant role. This is a situation to monitor in August.

Source: Boston Globe

Jun 20 - 11:45 AM

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe suggests Brandon LaFell could play the Aaron Hernandez role in the Patriots' offense this season.

"He played all of our wide receiver positions, plus he knew the tight end position," LaFell's ex-coach Ron Rivera said. LaFell stands in 6-foot-2, 210 and manned the slot in three-wide sets for the Panthers the past four seasons. He's also a willing blocker. The Patriots are extremely shallow at tight end behind Rob Gronkowski. LaFell isn't going to put up Hernandez numbers, but he could have a significant role. This is a situation to monitor in August.

Would he actually get a TE designation? Mark Harrison was interesting for awhile because of this possibility but it's not as exciting if LaFell stays a WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Would he actually get a TE designation? Mark Harrison was interesting for awhile because of this possibility but it's not as exciting if LaFell stays a WR.
I still think they sign Keller when training camp starts and this will be irrelevant. But if this sticks, I think it's good for LaFells value whether he stays WR or switches to TE

Rotoworld:

I still think they sign Keller when training camp starts and this will be irrelevant. But if this sticks, I think it's good for LaFells value whether he stays WR or switches to TE
good luck with that

Must be June. There is positive talk about patriots wrs everywhere.
For me, it's not about a Patriots WR as much as it is about LaFell being a Patriot. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's more about the fact that the guy has a stud QB throwing to him and is not buried on the depth chart. At least not at the moment. We'll see if Dobson can beat him out...

Must be June. There is positive talk about patriots wrs everywhere.
For me, it's not about a Patriots WR as much as it is about LaFell being a Patriot. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's more about the fact that the guy has a stud QB throwing to him and is not buried on the depth chart. At least not at the moment. We'll see if Dobson can beat him out...
Get ready to be disappointed. When he got his chance to step up here he faded from view and admitted he wasn't ready to be anything but a second or third WR. I have seen him drop passes that were perfectly placed. Maybe Tom gets through to him so good luck.

This guy was seriously flying under the radar, so I thought Id start a thread. Ive watched the highlights of game 1, and the entire game 2nd game... and he looked pretty damn good in both. I see his numbers staying fairly stable, if not trending upwards once Smith starts getting doubled again
I've watched both games start to finish and my concern is that he can't get any separation. It's great that he's making the tough catches. I just don't see his targets increasing when most of the time Cam looks for him their is an opponent blocking his view while Olsen/Shockey are running clear.
bump

Users who are viewing this thread