What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is this year's Austin and Lloyd? (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
I really need some WR help and the options on my WW are not too appealing. In your opinion, who will be the guy that will

come out of nowhere to post WR1 numbers much like Brandon Lloyd and Miles Austin did the last couple of years?

Here are some candidates that have potential. All of these guys have no true #1 on their respective teams.

Greg Little

Jerome Simpson

Denarius Moore

Josh Morgan

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need some WR help and the options on my WW are not too appealing. In your opinion, who will be the guy that willcome out of nowhere to post WR1 numbers much like Brandon Lloyd and Miles Austin did the last couple of years?Here are some candidates that have potential. All of these guys have no true #1 on their respective teams.Greg LittleJerome SimpsonDenarius MooreJosh Morgan
Might want to strike that 2nd one from your list. Facing a pretty serious situation with marijuana possession (and what looks like the intention to sell).Oh, also, he has a true #1 on his team.

Also Nelson and Decker.
Jennings and Lloyd are already WR1s on their teams. Nelson is actually the 3rd option in that offense.I'm talking about numbers like Austin and Lloyd posted the last 2 years.
I think he means David Nelson. Not Jordy.
Even then, isn't Stevie Johnson already the WR1 and target hog there?
Some people don't think he's a true WR1 and he's currently hobbled by a groin injury. Opportunity is definitely there.

Also Nelson and Decker.
Jennings and Lloyd are already WR1s on their teams. Nelson is actually the 3rd option in that offense.I'm talking about numbers like Austin and Lloyd posted the last 2 years.
Some people don't think he's a true WR1 and he's currently hobbled by a groin injury. Opportunity is definitely there.
Steve Johnson does not seem to hear people saying he is not a True #1. He sure plays like one... He is a stud WR

I have no idea if he can be the sort of breakout stud that would be the answer to this question, but it looks to me like Brandon LaFell has taken a big step forward.

Obviously, his upside is limited if Smith is healthy and productive, but the dude is talented and is developing a nice chemistry with Newton.

The targets look out of whack now, with almost 1 of every 3 going to Smith, but LaFell has started making huge catches and it would make sense the Cam start going to him more and more.

That thread was trying to tout Sanders. Really? Last I checked Hines Ward was still around, not to mention Wallace emerging as a stud.
So your criteria is a guy who is under the radar (aka. not owned in most standard leagues), top on their teams in targets, and on a decent offense? All those guys ARE owned. You need to find a breakout #2, a historically bad pass offense that people overlook etc., or injury. I think your question in a bit too narrow.There is not ALWAYS a 'this year's _________' Remember the "Is Best or Spiller this year's CJ?" Every year is different.

Having said that, the correct answers are Moore, Decker, D. Nelson, and maybe LaFell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The criteria in this post is too narrow. If you used the same criteria to look for breakout receivers in prior years, you probably would have missed out on Lloyd, Austin, and Stevie Johnson. Most believed Roy Williams was the WR1 talent in Dallas when Austin broke out. It was a foregone conclusion that Evans was the top guy in Buffalo when Johnson emerged. Even most people believed Royal and Decker were the hot picks when Lloyd started strong last year.

You can see the same mindset in this thread already. People dismissing Nelson since Johnson is the top guy. Someone above is dismissing Simpson and already anointed a rookie as the WR1 after 2 games.

My money is on Nelson since Buffalo looks to have an offense that can support two startable receivers, but my point is take off the blinders when looking for that emerging guy.

The criteria in this post is too narrow. If you used the same criteria to look for breakout receivers in prior years, you probably would have missed out on Lloyd, Austin, and Stevie Johnson. Most believed Roy Williams was the WR1 talent in Dallas when Austin broke out. It was a foregone conclusion that Evans was the top guy in Buffalo when Johnson emerged. Even most people believed Royal and Decker were the hot picks when Lloyd started strong last year.

You can see the same mindset in this thread already. People dismissing Nelson since Johnson is the top guy. Someone above is dismissing Simpson and already anointed a rookie as the WR1 after 2 games.

My money is on Nelson since Buffalo looks to have an offense that can support two startable receivers, but my point is take off the blinders when looking for that emerging guy.
This makes me laugh. You act as if I'm the only one that has made that "bold" statement. I'm a Bengals homer and watch every game. I like Simpson. I do. What he showed at the end of last year was impressive. And saying he's not the WR1 on the team is not a knock. Green has been THAT good. He is absolutely uncoverable.Simpson is not WR1 material. Sorry.

Devery Henderson is doing a pretty good Lloyd imitation so far. Older, underachieving WR that has an opportunity to become the #1 receiving option on a good offense. Two 100 yard games and 2 Td's. Colston and Moore hurt and leaving the door open. Brees trusting him more, it appears.

Also Nelson and Decker.
Nelson and Johnson have 19 and 20 targets respectively. So no, not really.

Devery Henderson is doing a pretty good Lloyd imitation so far. Older, underachieving WR that has an opportunity to become the #1 receiving option on a good offense. Two 100 yard games and 2 Td's. Colston and Moore hurt and leaving the door open. Brees trusting him more, it appears.
:goodposting:

That thread was trying to tout Sanders. Really? Last I checked Hines Ward was still around, not to mention Wallace emerging as a stud.
So your criteria is a guy who is under the radar (aka. not owned in most standard leagues), top on their teams in targets, and on a decent offense? All those guys ARE owned. You need to find a breakout #2, a historically bad pass offense that people overlook etc., or injury. I think your question in a bit too narrow.There is not ALWAYS a 'this year's _________' Remember the "Is Best or Spiller this year's CJ?" Every year is different.

Having said that, the correct answers are Moore, Decker, D. Nelson, and maybe LaFell.
Foster was last year's CJ.

Yes, the Top 10 list changes every year for RB's (especially) and WR's but the list always has changes. These people are often not drafted, or drafted low and can be bought or may be dropped before they explode, etc.

RB's: 2009 it was Rice. 2010 it was Foster, maybe Bradshaw too.

WR's: 2009 Austin. 2010: Tampa Mike and Lloyd.

That's how championships can be won. And that's one reason I love this site (this forum + the content). That's my view.

Yes, the Top 10 list changes every year for RB's (especially) and WR's but the list always has changes. These people are often not drafted, or drafted low and can be bought or may be dropped before they explode, etc.

That's how championships can be won. And that's one reason I love this site (this forum + the content). That's my view.
Nice summary. This year in my eye's Denarius Moore is that man. Like many here, I read all the pre-season clippings and hype and bought in sight unseen. I'm not sure how often a guy is built up like that and then when you see him play he actually *EXCEEDS* his hype, but that's what Moore did. This guy is going to be special this year and for awhile.

Also Nelson and Decker.
Nelson has 19 targets. Johnson has 20. It's about even. Also I don't know if you know this, but on occasion some players must work their way to the first option in the passing game. Take your own Brandon Lloyd for example: His first two games he had 12 targets. Eddie Royal had 15.

:goodposting: Was going to post the same. If he blows up this week, I might have to start him or trade him.
I still think Meachem is the guy there. Even when Colston returns. Devery has always been a feast or famine guy (long TDs). I don't think that has changed.

10_See, I disgree here. This is VINTAGE Dev. Henderson. 3 catches for 75-100 yards and an odd TD or two sprinkled in. Henderson has started 54 games in his career, and only 3 times has he had 6 or more receptions...3 TIMES!!! Since 2006, he has led the league in yards/reception, and the others over that span include Holmes, D-Jax and Wallace. Each of those guys have gone for more catches in a game (6 and above)...Holmes (12), Wallace (5) and D-Jax (10) in less time. I am not saying he is fool's gold...he has a purpose when the other WRs are injured in NO, but this is what he is...a burner, and little else.Ironically Ashley Lelie led the league in yards/reception in 2004 and 2005 and that is who I liken to him most.

This makes me laugh. You act as if I'm the only one that has made that "bold" statement. I'm a Bengals homer and watch every game. I like Simpson. I do. What he showed at the end of last year was impressive. And saying he's not the WR1 on the team is not a knock. Green has been THAT good. He is absolutely uncoverable.Simpson is not WR1 material. Sorry.
PLUS simpson is likely to get suspended and as alluded to earlier in the thread, tossed in the Bengals backup facility aka jail.

10_See, I disgree here. This is VINTAGE Dev. Henderson. 3 catches for 75-100 yards and an odd TD or two sprinkled in. Henderson has started 54 games in his career, and only 3 times has he had 6 or more receptions...3 TIMES!!! Since 2006, he has led the league in yards/reception, and the others over that span include Holmes, D-Jax and Wallace. Each of those guys have gone for more catches in a game (6 and above)...Holmes (12), Wallace (5) and D-Jax (10) in less time. I am not saying he is fool's gold...he has a purpose when the other WRs are injured in NO, but this is what he is...a burner, and little else.Ironically Ashley Lelie led the league in yards/reception in 2004 and 2005 and that is who I liken to him most.
Right... Brees rarely even looks for Henderson.. unless he has more than 5 seconds to throw the ball and he wants to "go for it all". He seems to get 1 deep ball per game and he has taken advantage of them this season so far. He's not even a safe WR3 most weeks. It's feast or famine. A nice bye week flyer...nothing more.

Also Nelson and Decker.
Nelson has 19 targets. Johnson has 20. It's about even. Also I don't know if you know this, but on occasion some players must work their way to the first option in the passing game. Take your own Brandon Lloyd for example: His first two games he had 12 targets. Eddie Royal had 15.
Take this a step further and look back at the last 6 games in which both Nelson and Johnson played a game together... they are separated by about 9-10 fantasy points in a non ppr league. At the beginning of this time frame Nelson was getting more TDs then targets but the targets have been building to a comparable level. Now Parish is out for the season so Nelson is the full time slot receiver, Johnson has a groin injury that seems to be getting worse and Donald Jones barely gets a glance even though he's the starting receiver on the outside... the opportunity is there!

From an ADP standpoint its Kenny Britt...he has a great shot to be no.1 and he was going in like round 8 in redraft.... not that his talent was under the radar, just that for some reason he dropped insanely low... I realize hes not off the waiver wire but hes the biggest breakout this year...clearly

Also Nelson and Decker.
Take this a step further and look back at the last 6 games in which both Nelson and Johnson played a game together... they are separated by about 9-10 fantasy points in a non ppr league. At the beginning of this time frame Nelson was getting more TDs then targets but the targets have been building to a comparable level. Now Parish is out for the season so Nelson is the full time slot receiver, Johnson has a groin injury that seems to be getting worse and Donald Jones barely gets a glance even though he's the starting receiver on the outside... the opportunity is there!
Stevie Johnson (groin) returned to practice on Thursday.

'degenerate said:
Stevie Johnson (groin) returned to practice on Thursday.
He may practice but he's not going to get any better as long as he keeps playing. I imagine he's not going to miss this game against the Patriots but if you look back at his comments where he described the groin as only initially bothering him on game days to Sunday/Monday saying that it is bothering him all the time now!

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'mr roboto said:

I agree that there are always breakout guys. But looking at specific criteria, or using historical breakout years to evaluate current candidates, is not wise IMO. The OP seems to have restrictive criteria that is based on Austin and Lloyd. Neither of these situations is that germaine to the current crop of breakout darlings.

'urbanhack said:
Nate Washington
Curious to hear some reasoning. Seems like an odd choice. Not saying that it cannot be correct. I just never considered Washington as having a huge year. Britt is the man in Tennessee.

Users who are viewing this thread