What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is wrong with Phillip Rivers? (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
I just don't understand this guy. I took him in the 2nd round over both Brees and Brady, expecting a monster year with a full year of Jackson and the rest of the offense intact. Through 4 games, he has thrown more INTs than TDs and has the likes of Jason Campbell ahead of him in fantasy points? Before you say Gates is the reason, he missed some time last year too and had scrubs for receivers in Floyd, Nanee, and Crayton and still put him top 4 QB points.

My question is, will things get better and should I be patient? Or does it look like it might be another down year for Rivers (he seems to alternate between good years and down years) and try to get what I can for him? Thoughts?

Mainly I'm wondering if it's him or other factors such as the offense line, playcalling, or what? From what I've seen so far, he does seem to have a lot more pressure this year and has resorted to doing a lot of dumpoffs and risky throws. Have teams figured out how to defend him by just constantly blitzing him and forcing him to make bad decisions? If so, will this be corrected by Turner and the staff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Gates being nicked up, there is a couple of issues with Rivers right now.

1) Mathews is emerging as a true stud RB

2) Rivers isn't 100% healthy himself

Rivers is generally throwing it less down the field and checking down to Mathews and Tolbert more often. I haven't watched SD games closely, not sure if that's a function of their OL not giving Rivers enough protection.

Rivers coming back and putting up legit QB1 stats later in the year will depend of Gates getting healthy. I would hope that Gates sits out next week, and be ready to play after SD's bye week.

I would hold Rivers unless you need immediate help elsewhere and have a decent backup QB.

Yes, Rivers' stats are underwhelming right now, but I think he will start to get in a nice groove soon--he has a proven track record, and will eventually right the ship.

SD is notorious for starting slow and this year is no different, despite the 3-1 record. Aside from the Pats, they have not played a team with a potent offense. Their D is average at best and will be exposed as the season progresses--they will definitely be playing from behind more than we have seen and this should translate into solid fantasy production.

As for Gates, at this point it's virtually impossible to ascertain whether or not he will return and be a factor this season. I'm not a doctor, but I'd be shocked if he was a major contributor moving forward. Even if Gates is inactive or limited, Rivers should still put up nice numbers in Norv's system.

What QB's would you fellow Rivers owners trade for or rather have moving moving forward this season? My list would include the following:

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Stafford

I would rather have him over Romo, Vick, and Newton, but you could make a strong case for all three.

I have both Rivers & Newton and am dangling them as trade bait (to strengthen my WR situation). Personally, I'd rather keep Rivers because he's much more of a known commodity, but.......we'll see what owners come back with.

I currently have an offer of Roddy White for Cam Newton on the table. My league offers bonus points for TD's over 50 yards as well as QB's passing for over 300 yards. Roddy being banged up a bit, Julio coming on strong......both have me reluctant to do this deal.

What QB's would you fellow Rivers owners trade for or rather have moving moving forward this season? My list would include the following:BradyRodgersBreesStaffordI would rather have him over Romo, Vick, and Newton, but you could make a strong case for all three.
I'd go:RodgersBradyNewtonBreesStaffordRomoVickRivers

What QB's would you fellow Rivers owners trade for or rather have moving moving forward this season? My list would include the following:BradyRodgersBreesStaffordI would rather have him over Romo, Vick, and Newton, but you could make a strong case for all three.
I'd go:RodgersBradyNewtonBreesStaffordRomoVickRivers
Good list. My changes would be minor. I MAY switch Brees & Newton, but it's awfully close. Also, I think I'd rather have Vick than Romo, but I like the order.

Besides Gates being nicked up, there is a couple of issues with Rivers right now.1) Mathews is emerging as a true stud RB2) Rivers isn't 100% healthy himselfRivers is generally throwing it less down the field and checking down to Mathews and Tolbert more often. I haven't watched SD games closely, not sure if that's a function of their OL not giving Rivers enough protection.Rivers coming back and putting up legit QB1 stats later in the year will depend of Gates getting healthy. I would hope that Gates sits out next week, and be ready to play after SD's bye week.I would hold Rivers unless you need immediate help elsewhere and have a decent backup QB.
Both VJax and Floyd are banged up, along with Gates. On top of that, the O-line pass protection has been subpar so far, and Rivers is getting hit early and often in games. This is forcing him to get rid of the ball earlier and earlier, often to the RBs. I'm seeing a lot of screens and short dump offs, which is opening up the running game. It seems that in most of the games, teams have been more content to let Mathews and Tolbert eat up moderate yardage, and have been guarding against the big play (except for this past weekend and the Patriots game). With Mathews and Tolbert establishing a consistent ground game, I think opposing teams will start to try to stop the run more, and as a result, I expect Rivers to shake off the early season cobwebs and get into true mid and late-season form over the next couple of games. I think he's due for a big game next week against Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread