What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (1 Viewer)

Rishard Mathews is the fade here no?  I'd like to put my chip down on Mariota succeeding and Beckham failing.  So Mathews is the play right? 
I think if you look at Russell Wilson, the play ended up being the boring solid veteran. If that history repeats itself, then yeah I think Rishard is a good play. I think conventional wisdom will put a low ceiling on him though of WR3. 

It seems we're looking at a starting lineup of Matthews and Johnson with Wright at the slot. In that situation I like Wright as any sort of early season breakout candidate. 

I think even with Mariota succeeding it could take a couple years for a WR to break out. It did with Wilson, and Tenn is similarly set up to run a lot to begin with. I think if you are betting on DGB to fail, the long term dyno play is not on the roster.

maf005 said:
If Mathews is the play then he's not the fade. To fade means to bet against. You'd fade DGB in this scenario.

And yes, I agree. There's still a lot of training camp remaining but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if DGB failed to make the roster. It may come down to Hunter and him for the final wr spot (5 or 6 likely). Maybe Bri can give an update and share his thoughts on the Titans' wrs post-johnson signing

Hunter hasn't had a bad day and Mularkey was constantly saying consistency is key....umm hello?. He is being written off, it seems, though. It's concerning. Fans are praising him and showing pics and videos, but he is getting almost zero press and zero comments from staff. Some of the radio guys are starting to jump on Hunter's bandwagon. Rashad Johnson called him the best of the group and if you see the video on titansonline he said it with "whew no question" sort of body language.

DGB is still in learning phase. He is clearly better than 2nd string, messes up with first string. 

Johnson won't be first string but I think is a lock for second. There are quite a few comments that he's slow. I never thought the guy was fast but took huge strides and moved plenty. Still, this is starting to be a concern and could limit the plays he can be in on. 

Wright, surprise, tweaked his hammy today after 3 great days. He is "the story" of camp thus far. Everyone says he looks awesome. 

Now I'm guessing Sharpe replaces Wright, that leaves an outside spot open. DGB will be first but if Mularkey is ready to show them he's a man of his word, it ought to be Hunter. It's key to watch here.

Tre McBride has a fascinating issue that Brat noticed. He makes the greatest smoothest sharpest cut and is wide open and then sort of drags the rest of the route and the DB recovers. This was yesterday and Brat was all over him, then angry with Cassel and Tanney for their timing. Somehow he got attention today and people were raving of his route running. Today Hunter made an excellent move and same thing, DB recovered, but he reached all the way back and stole it from the DB. Brat was on Mariota for that. AFAIK that is the first time Hunter worked with MM thus far. So it's not just a Tre issue, but also a QB issue. Guys are getting open and not getting it fast enough. 

Original post, it's Matthews opposite Sharpe. Wright in slot. (Again, can't say it enough, Mularkey has never had a decent slot contributor in FF....ever) Wright has yet to play a snap outside. So DGB comes in for Sharpe not Matthews. Matthews seems a lock. They love the notion that Matthews and Walker barely drop the ball. 

"Everyone" has said this is easily the most talented WR group the Titans have had, maybe ever. Andre said something similar that I don't want to misquote. He was blown away by the talent. When you think of (possibly) three first round talents as backups, it kind of makes sense.

Tomorrow they are off. If Wright sits Thursday, that could be telling. I think DGB fans need Sharpe to fill in and move to the slot. I think Sharpe fans need Tre given a chance. Best for the team, in the long run, is to reward Hunter's consistency. 

Again, with the FB back to being a big part of the O, there are going to be far too many situations where the slot sits so Walker can be in. Any WR that plays slot will never go in ahead of Walker. 

Ben Roberts worked his way up to the ones in minicamp. He is starting to make some noise in TC. He's going to be a giant monkey wrench if he can somehow rise here. He is a former baseball outfielder and superb athlete. Played HS football, baseball, and hoops. In college, played baseball and football wanted to play hoops but was talked out of it. Made ESPN sportscenter plays of the week twice as an outfielder, but wasn't the best hitter. 

What I hear, Douglas had an outstanding day and Roberts still surpassed him to move to the third team. Since Douglas played for these coaches previously and is coach's pet, that's a considerable depth promotion. 

The thing with Roberts is half amusing. Former baseball player dives for everything and with him being tall and a good high point guy, his effort to catch the ball is phenomenal. I guess don't tell him he's not wearing a baseball glove? The coaches are "eating up" that effort though. No one talks of him running routes, so I have no idea, but I guess whatever it takes to get the attention of the coaches from 4th string.

The Titans have tons of cap room. They have zero reason to free up $ or save it by cutting a player. Ignore any and all "cap issues" people present. It's not there.

Lebeau's CBs have played poorly. Also watch for him to elevate their game. They are top 5 - top 10 passing D. WRs "shouldn't" be doing this well.

thriftyrocker said:
I think if you look at Russell Wilson, the play ended up being the boring solid veteran. If that history repeats itself, then yeah I think Rishard is a good play. I think conventional wisdom will put a low ceiling on him though of WR3. 

It seems we're looking at a starting lineup of Matthews and Johnson with Wright at the slot. In that situation I like Wright as any sort of early season breakout candidate. 

I think even with Mariota succeeding it could take a couple years for a WR to break out. It did with Wilson, and Tenn is similarly set up to run a lot to begin with. I think if you are betting on DGB to fail, the long term dyno play is not on the roster.

Today, I'd pencil Matthews in as one of those high catch low yards possession guys. 

6 for 50, 8 for 70, or somesuch. I bet he'll be a nice bye-week cover, maybe injury fill-in. Not ready to give him anything more for FF.

The safest play (or most wise?) is Mariota. If ya like the WRs, quit messing with the guesses and roll with the passer. That he'll run more is gravy. Most Titans are available so late in drafts so you should be able to almost cherry pick any one ya like.

Wow. I thought I was bearish on his prospects.

4th WR?  Not make the team?

Lordy.
I mean, let's look at the depth chart through one week of camp and you tell me if he's a longshot to start or not:

LWR: Sharpe, AJ80

RWR: Matthews, DGB/Hunter

Slot: Wright, Douglas

Wright seems locked into the starting slot role. Injury is a concern with him so it's possible Douglas or Sharpe slide into that role if/when Wright goes down. That will depend on how well Sharpe is producing outside and also if Andre Johnson or DGB or Hunter is pushing for starting time outside. But as of now, Sharpe and Matthews are clearly ahead of the field for the starting outside positions. Further context to this is that DGB hasn't had much good press over the offseason with the exception of showing up in better shape than last year. Based on his size/potential, he should be getting more positive mentions. These types generate lots of clicks (see: this thread) 

Do we know the details of Johnson's and Douglas' contracts? Johnson was quite bad last season in Indy.

Last year, DGB was either outstanding or horrific at blocking.

Blocking drill today, rookie S Kevin Byard (seems to be next year's starter) versus DGB, Byard knocked DGB on his butt

I mean, let's look at the depth chart through one week of camp and you tell me if he's a longshot to start or not:

LWR: Sharpe, AJ80

RWR: Matthews, DGB/Hunter

Slot: Wright, Douglas

Wright seems locked into the starting slot role. Injury is a concern with him so it's possible Douglas or Sharpe slide into that role if/when Wright goes down. That will depend on how well Sharpe is producing outside and also if Andre Johnson or DGB or Hunter is pushing for starting time outside. But as of now, Sharpe and Matthews are clearly ahead of the field for the starting outside positions. Further context to this is that DGB hasn't had much good press over the offseason with the exception of showing up in better shape than last year. Based on his size/potential, he should be getting more positive mentions. These types generate lots of clicks (see: this thread) 

Do we know the details of Johnson's and Douglas' contracts? Johnson was quite bad last season in Indy.

Technically it would be this:

RWR-Sharpe/DGB/Roberts/TZ

Slot- Wright/Wright/Tre/Douglas

LWR Matthews/Andre/Hunter/Horn

It's very tricky when you try to do this. The concept is that everyone should play all three. Andre did his first day. Hunter is the only one I know of playing all three each day. TZ didn't have much of any time one day but otherwise has. Andre backsup Matthews but when DGB messes up, not only does he move over and replace DGB, but he coaches him like a classy vet. Matthews comes back in then. Horn and Douglas have been in two spots, that I know of.

For minicamp and first couple days, Wright ran the slot with first AND second string. Neither Tre nor Douglas has earned 2nd spot yet. 

Recently, Hunter was in the slot as part of a gigantic WR set with DGB and Andre. 

Whisenhunt totally failed at this but Mularkey spoke on how he absolutely will do this- every backup WR will know all three spots or not make the team. It's elementary and a bad prior standard that a guy could just know one spot. This is something DGB doesn't do well, but he admits it and has been studying with TZ and Andre. He's a below average student, but he does pick things up. In minicamp, he lined up wrong like three plays in a row and got Mularkey real upset. Next day he was perfect. He's just not a quick learner, but there's plenty of time before the season. Hunter and TZ are great students and Douglas and Andre are supposedly super helpful.

It is totally fine for DGB to be behind the 8-ball today. He was fourth WR at his spot at this time last year behind Nicks, Douglas, and TZ. The thing about DGB is he seems to love contact and not play as well without it. There have only been two days of pads. See what happens when the beast comes out in him

Reiterate or paint a picture with Mularkey's priors

Rishard Matthews- Hines Ward, Lee Evans, Cecil Shorts III

Sharpe/DGB- Plax, Eric Moulds, Justin Blackmon

Also, Tajae Sharpe is that one guy every year that every site disagrees on how tall he is. He is 6-1 to 6-4. I got him at 6-2 as UMass did. By that I mean, he's a couple inches shorter than Hunter, TZ, and DGB who are 6-4, 6-5. As such, I'm not "buying" the 6-4 height.

He was a college possession guy, rarely went deep. This made him "just a possession WR" in the draft. He's done everything for the Titans. So there was a previous thought that a possession WR can't fill a dynamic big guy role like Plax/Moulds/Blackmon, but he's done it all, so that's squashed some.

Anywho, those roles of previous guys might help ya digest things.

You guys should "hit" that FBG youtube show and ask Qs. Waldman is a Titans fan and broke down all these guys. He's probably got a good eye on this.

On the radio, they tell a story how DGB messed up a few times in a row. Brat was on him(WR coach) and then DGB ran his route all sloppy and then Andre Johnson waived at Brat and spoke to DGB. Stood right there waiting for DGB to do it right the next couple plays and he did. 

Andre was signed last minute and supposed to fly home to get some things in order and return after the day off. Instead, He decided to stay to help DGB with the playbook. 

When Andre was on the radio, he said DGB needs to use his big body better. He had lots of tips for him. DGB didn't have a veteran to learn from and he's filling a void there.

THEN Andre said he's been asking questions of everyone else to get settled and comfy with the new offense and that they've been very helpful.

To digest this-

Andre's presence, wow he can call off a coach

However DGB is doing, Andre quickly learned NOT to ask him for advice. That's a little curious

I absolutely love everything said about Andre and DGB. Sign Andre to some long term deal that converts him to coach when necessary. If he can pause practice a few seconds and fix DGB that quickly...it's just wonderful.

Now all of this also means DGB is above the rules- the prized pampered draft pick. Consistency and lining up correctly and knowing the playbook were all things Mularkey said would affect practice time and they are not. Faith in his talent, faith in Andre, whatever it is, I would not be concerned for FF til he falls down the depth chart. As long as he can't lose his spot, ya gotta let him keep his on your FF team.

More "(in)consistency" talk, this time lumped with Hunter
It's not Hunter. Hunter got stripped of the ball today. That's it, all week of camp. He's caught the ball well every day.

There is this "no matter what ya do you're not going to make it" air around Hunter right now. Mularkey just took a chance to take a shot at him. IF IF IF This is the plan, it's working. Hunter has never strung together this many very good days in a row. 

Mularkey looked really bothered when talking about Kendall Wright being hurt. He was gushing the other day about Wright. Wright had three days in a row where he was excellent, gets hurt, and then BAM! Coach is bothered.The heat is totally on Wright and Hunter thus far. No excuses, be consistent and live up to your potential.

And back to Hunter, by all accounts it was a phenomenal catch. He leaped up and grabbed the ball "out of nowhere" and then when he came down the rook stripped him of the ball. 

The late afternoon and evening articles are coming out, radio on now- first time Hunter is getting exposure this camp. Everyone says he's doing very well. It's like "he got stripped today, but....compliments." One host said "Shouldn't he do well against the second and third string?" and that's a fair sentiment too.

No one is like DGB now. He is getting gifts and better fix it soon. I'd bet Hunter and everyone else would be cut if they lined up wrong and ran wrong routes like DGB. 

Mularkey is in a bad bad spot.

If he "lays down the law" and demoted DGB every day like he said he would do if players messed up, DGB would be at the bottom of the depth chart. He'd get no time with Mariota and very little practice time at all in 11 on 11s. 

If he rewards Hunter or Douglas, DGB isn't getting much work with the threes. 

Tre McBride is stepping up in a big way. It's quite possible every titans writer and fan at camp said something positive of him. Douglas filled in for an injured Wright and did "great, very impressive" as per Mularkey. Three guys ready to take DGBs spot and putting the work in being all deserving of it. You add in Andre who has been opposite DGB but also doing very well and it really looks like if Mularkey even demotes DGB a smidge, he'll never get it back. You can trade or cut him now then. A slow learner absolutely can not handle being that far down the depth chart. He needs the reps, they're essential.

I'll also tell ya way down the Titans depth chart is a hustler Mularkey loves in Andrew Turzilli and a new guy that they praise the effort of in Ben Roberts. Both are 6-4. TZ is faster than DGB. Oh and Joe Horn's boy. He watched and worked in Colts camp last year. By all accounts he is extremely professional and daddy prepared him well. DGB rrrrrrrrrrrreally might not fare well against the last string of WRs. 

Again, this happened last year and he caught on. He almost has to. The entire depth chart and offense is totally messed up without him. I think Mularkey is stuck. 

I guess I can't convey the annoyed tone but here's two Wright quotes. The mood just totally changed. DGB is NOT held to this standard

Few days ago-

(on Kendall Wright getting a good start and whether it continued)

I think so, it was good to see Kendall (Wright).  Especially in some of the slot play that he did today.  A lot of that is decision making.  We're giving him some options, some choices, routes that are all predicated on what the coverage is.  Wherever they are, here's where we want you, and he's making some really solid decisions, and then the play down the middle.  Again, those are plays again that we have to have in this offense from everybody.  Big plays, tough catches, that was important to see.  I think that's good for everybody to see.

Today

“It's really crucial,’’ Mularkey said of the time missed. “This is the time we need him with the passing game. Nothing we can do about it, but I wish it hadn't happened. But it is what it is. The quicker we can get him back, and he'll be a large part of that—what he does, how much he's in that training room. But it's critical. Every day is critical in camp, and he's missing. He's missing a lot every day.”

Again, I don't put time frames. I ask the doctors not to say, "Hey, four to six weeks," because some players will listen to four to six weeks. I want guys that want to come out here and practice and compete. Sometimes it may not be 100 percent, but I want guys that want to be out here. We're going to get him out here as soon as we can. "

I need to clarify something here

Twice Mularkey was displeased with DGB after practice. Next day he's in the presser and says that he did well yesterday.

That's what I'm saying about looking at the video at night and forming a second conclusion making things confusing.

Someone on another board is calling this "hogwash" and saying Mularkey doesn't have stones. His comment "So DGB looked 'very good' when Byard knocked him on his..." and "Andre stopped the practice because DGB was doing well?" does kind of make you think hmmm.

Presser wise DGB has 2 of 6 good days.

Recap is 4 of 6 which sounds wayyyy better.

Kendall out again. 

Tre Mcbride played outside and did great. It was Matthews who played slot.

Zero on DGB. No idea if he started in Matthews slot or Tre did. Tre did catch passes from Mariota and Cassel.

Mularkey spoke of Tre like he made the team. That's significant.

Hunter had a good day, got open deep late and dropped it. 

Turzilli got time with ones and did very well too.

My thinking is if TZ and McBride played with the ones DGB probably didn't.

Scrimmage tomorrow night.

Mularkey and OC said how they do in games is significant; comes down to can they make plays or not?

Mularkey glowed about Roberts. Seems a lock for PS and if he does anything in preseason....total monkey wrench here

Depth Chart

Is there a listing of what team each of the players are playing on? Where are you seeing DGB being listed as 7th or 8th?

I found one like this for the Vikings, but this depth chart just lists the first snap starters. A 2 TE set with Walker and Stevens on the field with Tajae Sharpe.

I see Wright and DGB as the second column (2nd team?) then Hunter and TZ 3rd team.

Titans twitter and every reporter.

That article isn't correct. Hunter iSe ahead of DGB. 
Ok. Could you post a link to what is correct?

I read that depth chart as Sharpe, DGB, Wright and Hunter TZ all playing the same WR position. With Matthews, Johnson, McBride, Douglas Roberts playing the other WR position.

That's funny that other people are having issues with the top line being cut off too.  :)

Ok. Could you post a link to what is correct?

I read that depth chart as Sharpe, DGB, Wright and Hunter TZ all playing the same WR position. With Matthews, Johnson, McBride, Douglas Roberts playing the other WR position.

That's funny that other people are having issues with the top line being cut off too.  :)
https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/762762850838380544

Looking at 2nd WR- I thought it wentTajae, Wright, DGB, Hunter, TZ

PK has posted on FB and Wyatt discussed too. It's like rows across. So Tajae, Wright, Hunter, (new row) DGB, then TZ.

This is one side, so that makes DGB 4th on a side, 4th string, 7th or 8th overall.

There are no slots here and FBs are listed as backup TEs due to the 2 TE set. Wright hasn't taken a snap outside.

The confusion also is that they are not subbing according to this chart. Coaches do often do this and almost all say some variation of "I wanted to see how he'd do with this group." Practice reps-wise, DGB has gotten in and would be 2nd.

Definitely significant when a team lists a stud talent like DGB so low.

Thanks Bri

Listing the players this way does emphasize what they want their primary 1st down formation to be I think., which comes as no surprise that they want to be set up better for the run than the pass. Listing two TE hides the WRs a bit.

A bit Surprised by Sharpe being listed as the starter still. He must be playing well.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/762762850838380544

Looking at 2nd WR- I thought it wentTajae, Wright, DGB, Hunter, TZ

PK has posted on FB and Wyatt discussed too. It's like rows across. So Tajae, Wright, Hunter, (new row) DGB, then TZ.

This is one side, so that makes DGB 4th on a side, 4th string, 7th or 8th overall.

There are no slots here and FBs are listed as backup TEs due to the 2 TE set. Wright hasn't taken a snap outside.

The confusion also is that they are not subbing according to this chart. Coaches do often do this and almost all say some variation of "I wanted to see how he'd do with this group." Practice reps-wise, DGB has gotten in and would be 2nd.

Definitely significant when a team lists a stud talent like DGB so low.
I will definitely admit to always having been a little confused reading those depth charts (column headers would be amazing, fellas), so I could be wrong, but from reading a lot of Husker depth charts over the years that were displayed similarly I'd read that as:

1st string: WR1 Matthews  WR2 Sharpe 

2nd string: WR1 Johnson, McBride   WR2 Hunter, DGB

3rd string: WR1 Douglas, Roberts, Horn  WR2 Hunter, Turzilli

The Husker depth charts will explicitly list an "AND" between receivers on the same "tier", but I could see this depth chart being laid out the same way without explicitly saying "AND" between them.

That's still not great, but that'd make DGB anywhere from WR3 - WR 6 depending. 

I will definitely admit to always having been a little confused reading those depth charts (column headers would be amazing, fellas), so I could be wrong, but from reading a lot of Husker depth charts over the years that were displayed similarly I'd read that as:

1st string: WR1 Matthews  WR2 Sharpe 

2nd string: WR1 Johnson, McBride   WR2 Hunter, DGB

3rd string: WR1 Douglas, Roberts, Horn  WR2 Hunter, Turzilli

The Husker depth charts will explicitly list an "AND" between receivers on the same "tier", but I could see this depth chart being laid out the same way without explicitly saying "AND" between them.

That's still not great, but that'd make DGB anywhere from WR3 - WR 6 depending. 
Nope. I asked Qs tonight and found the answers, tried to convey them here. Wyatt speaking on it...doesn't get any better than the team spokesman or team reporter...whatever his title is.

What Bia and I are discussing is 3 WR sets and how this is in a two TE set.

Your thinking here is much more in line with the subbing (though I think you forgot Wright) and it's interesting to consider 4 per string.

Probably should say kudos to McBride. Kudos to him for officially being so high after the PS last year. TZ played with the ones already so he's gotta be somewhat high up in the last tier/group of wide receivers. This is also DGBs problem. McBride has had less opportunities and less experience than DGB and he seems to be surpassing him. TZ received favorable reviews so theoretically he could too. They all came in together. DGB has to step up. 

One point of view has been if you took like a printout of this and folded it somewhat in half. Jon Robinson can be conveying "Make me an offer for anyone on the right." MAYBE He looks at DGB as better than Hunter but, if DGB can fetch him a solid guard that they sorely lack....maybe he would prefer to trade DGB for the return value.

Greg Little is Buffalo's third WR. That was announced the other day. Does that mean the Bills are dying for some WR help or that Greg has miraculously hit his potential? Does DGB or Hunter catch their eye?  It's definitely in Robinson's interest to manipulate this a little bit. Did he? 

One thing that is brutally true, I mean a total ouch. NFL teams don't need great 5th and 6th WR. Geesh most 4th WRs aren't that good. The 4th-6th WR might get 100-400 yards for the year. Almost anyone above (if not everyone) can get ya a few hundred yards in sub play. It could very well be Hunter and DGB as 5th and 6th when camp ends. The truth is that TZ and oh idk Roberts can get them 100 or 200 yards and fill that role just as well as Hunter and DGB. They do not need a first round talent at the fifth and sixth, not at all. 

This offseason, they about took away the potential of DGB and Hunter as being a extra tangible item to help them make the team. They lllllllllllove Sharpe. They got their #1 in Rishard. Also, Wright and Douglas can play the slot, so what do they need those two for? Potential when? When Sharpe or Tajae get hurt? It totally changed the makeup when they added two starters. 

It has to be- I am a really stinkin good player so you need me. I make catches like this and that and block guys this well. If I'm on the team, I bring XYZ that some of the other WRs can't "bring to the table." They are finally being held accountable for their play and only their play(although I've stated issues with Hunter's evaluation)  I have no doubt these two giant freaks can use their ridiculous athleticism to make the team. Physically they are the best on the team without question. They have to do it though

I kind of read a depth chart similar to how Bud describes, because when they practice, they usually have three or four different teams playing at the same time. They will move players up and down teams to see how they are playing with those groups. 

For example with TZ playing with the first team. A team will likely work all of their players with the first team to see how they fit in there. They also want to build chemistry between the QB of each team and the WR they are playing with. So TZ being with the first team, even for a practice of two says something about that, him moving back down to the fourth team says something else about that. Which team they are playing with most often, that tells you where the coaches have their pecking order, who is the next man up due to injury or situational use.

While this is all exciting, just have to bear in mind that this really only means what players will be on the field for the 1st snap of the game. Formations and groups will change from there. As preseason is mostly vanilla (for most teams) they may only play the 1st string guys for the first series or two before bringing in the next group. The playing time increases for the starters in the 2nd and 3rd preseason game.

We have speculated that Sharpe may not be as good at blocking as players like Hunter or DGB. However this may not be the case. I really haven't gotten around to watching that aspect of Sharpes skill set. Maybe his technique is good even though he isn't as physically gifted as Hunter or DGB as far as size and strength. Or they could have sub packages where they bring in the trees to help block on the outside.

Just have to see how this plays out. Players are taking it easy somewhat in practice compared to a game against an opponent that isn't concerned about keeping your players healthy. It will be a lot more physical. So it will be interesting to see how Sharpe does against the Chargers, and if he can hang on to the starting spot through preseason.

Interesting angle in regards to the GM possibly shopping WR for guards.

Don't the team PR departments put out these depth charts at this point? I don't think they really mean anything until they get down to 53 players. 

Chaka said:
Don't the team PR departments put out these depth charts at this point? I don't think they really mean anything until they get down to 53 players. 
They only ever say "we." The way it's said, I'd think it's Mularkey and Robinson but ya know Lebeau is involved and I would assume a PR dept too

The unrelenting negativity about DGB is wearing me about. I get it, he's an abomination and should be euthanized. I'll check back on him when the preseason is over.

The unrelenting negativity about DGB is wearing me about. I get it, he's an abomination and should be euthanized. I'll check back on him when the preseason is over.
Yeah, I've about had it too. He actually had a decent year last year and there will be growing pains. We get it. Dynasty owners are locked in for awhile anyway. We should just ignore the noise. 

DGB or Josh Gordon

Who would you rather take a risk on in dynasty? Different situations, but both seem risky with incredibly high upside. I lean toward Gordon. 

Sorry. Much of it is me in here. I've tried to point out he is NOT held to the standard others are and doesn't seem to lose his spot. The team's faith is there. Also that he stunk at this time last year too, with similar issues.

There's Calico, Chris Sanders(?), Kevin Dyson, Britt, (throw Cook in here too), Hunter, Wright, and now DGB. Why does every reasonably high draft pick WR for the Titans wind up struggling? There's a frustration level amongst Titans fans that ...well geesh it would sure be nice for DGB to pan out

After watching tape of the Titans' preseason opener, coach Mike Mularkey called Dorial Green-Beckham's performance "still inconsistent."
He said the same of Justin Hunter, although Hunter has become little more than an afterthought anyway. Green-Beckham made a nice run block on DeMarco Murray's 71-yard touchdown scamper, but gave lackadaisical effort on at least one pass route and still appears to be low on the wideout depth chart. DGB should continue to receive extended snaps for the rest of the preseason. Unfortunately, his fantasy appeal in re-draft leagues has all but evaporated.

Source: Terry McCormick on Twitter

I can't shake the feeling that the Titans are slow playing this guy.  They seem to be going out of their way to criticize him. I would be more worried if there was NO news.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't shake the feeling that the Titans are slow playing this guy.  They seem to be going out of their way to criticize him. I would be more worried if there was NO news.
I wonder. The guy put up 549 yards and 4 TDs as a raw rookie last year playing with a rookie QB. Yet they keep bagging on the guy.  

Agreed. I'm not sure how startable he'll be in re-draft with the log jam they have at WR. Long term/Dynasty I like his price. To me there isn't a ton of difference between him, White and Parker. None of them are proven, his ceiling is as high as theirs, and he's cheap compared to the other two right now. 

The success rate of the Titans having young offensive players realize their potential is dismal.  There is a negative vibe that has always come out of management/coaching staff that hasn't worked well for them in the past....

Developing young players and having them realize their potential is something they need to work on...

Justin Hunter - JAG - Just a Guy

Bishop Sankey - criticized for footwork and other

Jake Locker - had a big time cannon - and didn't realize his potential

Wisenhunt and Mularkey are old school coaches - that may not be the best fit for getting the best out of today's young player...

From the outside looking in, it appears he doesn't have a lot of self-motivation to become a great player.  He doesn't appear to put in the extra work necessary to become great (like AB does).  BUT, this is just from reports and what the team is saying.  It'd be understandable if they were just trying to get him jump started and to light a fire under him.  DGB is obviously talented, but he'll have to work harder than he ever has before to become great in the NFL.

I'd be very surprised if DGB wasn't the best fantasy WR on the Titans this year, but he probably won't have a breakout year if this rhetoric is to be believed.

I find it hard to believe that the Titans are publicly calling him out, just to lull everyone to sleep, and then unleash DGB on an unsuspecting league.  

My own personal belief is that effort and work ethic is the #1 trait I want in my WRs, like I want accuracy from a QB.  WRs that work at their craft are at a major advantage to WRs that rely on their gifts without refining their skills.  

These are screaming red flags.  

I don't know if things are as bad as what one guy thinks at Rotoworld, or as bad as it seems reading this stuff, but it's not good.  Really not good.  

And you really don't want to be reading this about a guy with a history like this.  

Dorial Green-Beckham remains listed as a second-team receiver on the Titans' latest depth chart.
During the preseason, teams are required to post depth charts each week. It means very little, but this is still notable, even if it was expected. DGB continues to draw the ire of coach Mike Mularkey, who keeps calling the sophomore receiver "inconsistent." One of fantasy football's favorite pre-summer breakout candidates, DGB is in danger of opening the year as a backup.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter 
Aug 15 - 6:40 PM

Users who are viewing this thread