What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Recorded and watched it late last night. You clean up well! I was disappointed hearing about a cheesesteak po boy but after seeing what you did I thought it was brilliant! No cheesy (sure, pun intended) schtick - just a great local take on bbq. Its been a treat to see your dream (hopefully not too many nightmares) develop like this.

Congratulations!!!

ETA: Maybe in the Fall do a hatch green chile version. At least in Texas, people look forward to the hatch chile season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I just don't care for the cheese sauce on the sub. Usually the restaurant puts too much on and it drowns out the taste.

:scared:

If im being brutally honest, the cheesesteak was the worst thing I had when I was there. The all meat and sides is where its at. Plus, I got the lamb ribs added on and I can still taste them in my taste bud memory bank

But I tried the cheesesteak after the all meats and sides sothat may have mattered

:fat:

And now I'll never watch this show again. Terrible.
It's hard to imagine anyone watching Best in Chow regularly with that host, yet they're well into a second season.

America loves its food shows I guess, and it's awesome that Neil was able to take advantage of that.

The airing of the show was nicely timed to get my friends pumped for our McClure's barbecue feast on Saturday. Congrats on the victory! Unfortunately, I apparently don't get the Cooking Channel through Dish Network, so I still haven't seen the episode.

I am, however, currently en route to New Orleans.

This guy isn't exactly making me want to go to New Orleans for barbecue. he's not doing any of you any favors as a whole.
I don't think anyone goes to New Orleans for BBQ. However, LOTS of people go for other reasons and now anyone who does go and has a hankering for BBQ will remember McClure's. Great stuff. That brisket cheesesteak looks awesome. I don't want to marry the sauce, or the woman who wanted to, but I'd gladly have a three way with her and the sauce.

Congratulations Tipsy!

I've been telling everyone I know about your place for months now and then I got to call around and tell everyone you were on teh CC, then you were the first shown, then you won. Made me look good.

Go get `em.

[i need to get that damn poboy can't believe I haven't ordered that].

This guy isn't exactly making me want to go to New Orleans for barbecue. he's not doing any of you any favors as a whole.
I don't think anyone goes to New Orleans for BBQ. However, LOTS of people go for other reasons and now anyone who does go and has a hankering for BBQ will remember McClure's. Great stuff. That brisket cheesesteak looks awesome. I don't want to marry the sauce, or the woman who wanted to, but I'd gladly have a three way with her and the sauce.
NO used to be a real BBQ wasteland. I'm talking Corky's, a place called Texas BBQ (both in Metry), Rib Shack (Kenner), Hillbilly (in Harahan or something), and the Joint (barely in NO).

Maybe others disagree but the Joint was the first place I remember taking a shot at decent BBQ, on Poland. Then there was a place called Bywater BBQ (now gone).

Now we have McClure's, the two other places they mentioned on the show, plus 12 Mile, Voodoo (local chain), BooKoo BBQ (Finn's), Crescent Pie, Nola Smokehouse, Walker's, Hyster's. The Joint, Hillbilly and Texas are still around.

McClure's is by far the best.

One other thing: the city of NO struggled over the food truck thing after Katrina. I have no idea why it has obviously been great for NO entrepreneurship and the local food scene.

You had a real easy manner on camera Tipsey, seemed very natural to you. You also came across as a genuinely nice and affable fellow. Some folks are douchebags and can't hide that fact, you're overall personality and "caring" about the food came across quite well. Would not be surprised at all if other food networks didn't contact you to be on some of their shows, since a likable chef can be a rarity.

You had a real easy manner on camera Tipsey, seemed very natural to you. You also came across as a genuinely nice and affable fellow. Some folks are douchebags and can't hide that fact, you're overall personality and "caring" about the food came across quite well. Would not be surprised at all if other food networks didn't contact you to be on some of their shows, since a likable chef can be a rarity.
:yes: ...Meanwhile, dudes from squeal came off as dickmittens.

To those who've not met Neil/Tipsy, that was an accurate reflection of his real life personality. Genuinely one of the nicest, most laid back guys I know.

To those who've not met Neil/Tipsy, that was an accurate reflection of his real life personality. Genuinely one of the nicest, most laid back guys I know.
Met Tipsy when he came to Charlotte and this is absolutely true. Great guy well deserving of all the good coming his way.

Met Tipsy when he came to Charlotte and this is absolutely true. Great guy well deserving of all the good coming his way.
I appreciate it guys. It is funny to me however to hear people call me laid back. I used to be the most stressed kid on the block.

I appreciate it guys. It is funny to me however to hear people call me laid back. I used to be the most stressed kid on the block.
You used to be portly and self-important too, but now you are a TV superstar.

You used to be portly and self-important too, but now you are a TV superstar.
You should write a book about how you slimmed down surrounded by that food all day. I'm going to guess, stress?

you should borrow some Philadelphia shtick and get really upset when people don't order the cheesesteak the right way.

Is it prov wit?
I don't think it's shtick so much as it is they like to keep the line moving. Trust me, if you're on line for a sandwich at Geno's at 2 AM in January, you don't want to see anyone roll up to the window and start hemming and hawing like Elaine at the Soup Nazi's place. They move so much volume that if they don't keep the ordering simple, it takes forever to get through the line. Contrary to popular belief, if you walk up and say you want a "Steak sandwich with cheese whiz and onions", you're not going to get castigated, they'll pretty much just yell "WIZ WIT!" back to the guys assembling the sandwiches. However, if you waffle, if you try to order your fries and soda from this window when there's a sign that clearly tells you to order sandwiches only and then move to the next window to order fries/drinks, they'll flip you some attitude.

you should borrow some Philadelphia shtick and get really upset when people don't order the cheesesteak the right way.

Is it prov wit?
I don't think it's shtick so much as it is they like to keep the line moving. Trust me, if you're on line for a sandwich at Geno's at 2 AM in January, you don't want to see anyone roll up to the window and start hemming and hawing like Elaine at the Soup Nazi's place. They move so much volume that if they don't keep the ordering simple, it takes forever to get through the line. Contrary to popular belief, if you walk up and say you want a "Steak sandwich with cheese whiz and onions", you're not going to get castigated, they'll pretty much just yell "WIZ WIT!" back to the guys assembling the sandwiches. However, if you waffle, if you try to order your fries and soda from this window when there's a sign that clearly tells you to order sandwiches only and then move to the next window to order fries/drinks, they'll flip you some attitude.
Reminds me of Rendezvous here in memphis... old black staff working server jobs that are handed down for generations. They are nice as can be but if you waffle on your order they will snap out with a "4 full slabs and a pitcher of michelob (only beer they serve)" for a party of 4 then walk away. :lol:

Thanks to the first three FBG's to order the rubs officially....packages going to West Chester OH, Denver CO, and Geneseo NY...not sure how long it will take to get to ya. Thanks for the support!

Damnit I'm going to go get that cheesesteak poboy.
fyi...its no longer on a poboy bun...its on a hamburger bun from the same baker and much better imho
Yep, discovered that - it was fantastic, truly one of my favorite sandwiches in the city now. Delicious. I had the creole potato salad with it and had a taco on top of that. All with sweet tea. Hit the Nola Tap Room after that. Thanks for a great meal.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
fyi...its no longer on a poboy bun...its on a hamburger bun from the same baker and much better imho
Yep, discovered that - it was fantastic, truly one of my favorite sandwiches in the city now. Delicious. I had the creole potato salad with it and had a taco on top of that. All with sweet tea. Hit the Nola Tap Room after that. Thanks for a great meal.
What is in creole potato salad? It sounds interesting.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
it is my least mind blowing side imho.....its a mustard, creole mustard, and a touch of mayo base. its got red peppers, celery, and red onion in it too. the Creole part is really fluff for the name more than anything.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
it is my least mind blowing side imho.....its a mustard, creole mustard, and a touch of mayo base. its got red peppers, celery, and red onion in it too. the Creole part is really fluff for the name more than anything.
It's my favorite side of yours, even if it is real simple. The mustard is awesome and the potatoes are never mushy.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Thanks to the first three FBG's to order the rubs officially....packages going to West Chester OH, Denver CO, and Geneseo NY...not sure how long it will take to get to ya. Thanks for the support!
>>>>>- One of the first three. Woohoo. <<<<

SaintsInDome2006 said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
It's my favorite side of yours, even if it is real simple. The mustard is awesome and the potatoes are never mushy.
I love potato salad, so I'm always up for trying new types. But what is the most mind-blowing side in your opinion? Inquiring minds want to know.

I haven't posted, but have been following this thread for awhile now. Had dinner with some friends last night and they mentioned they would be in NO in the fall for a wedding. I asked if it was a quick in and out trip, or if they had time to spend in the city. They said they'd have a few extra days, so I said I knew someone on the innerwebs that had a great BBQ place in NO. He asked the name. I said McClure's. He says to his wife, "Isn't that the name of the place we saw on that show the other night?"

### #### cooking channel has stolen my thunder.

Expect a reasonably sized group in October. I'll tell them to ask for you and mention FBGs. If you send them back to CT with something tasty, I won't complain. ;)

SaintsInDome2006 said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
I love potato salad, so I'm always up for trying new types. But what is the most mind-blowing side in your opinion? Inquiring minds want to know.
The collards are really good. In terms of mind blowing, I'd prob put the jambalaya or pork n beans at the top. The Mac n cheese is pretty damn good also. Really can't go wrong

Users who are viewing this thread