Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

McClure's BBQ: Upheaval. Again. Oy.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I should have thought more seriously about a kickstarter with y'all....    I'm not too good at asking for help I guess. But.... I have a new silent partner...should become official o

Partnership official! The stress release has begun.  Thank you rye whiskey stash. 😁

holy cow....last second call wants food for 140.    taking my rig and rolling out to the Saints training facility and feeding the entire organization!!!   this is tomorrow.   i'll give my +/

Ocean Springs is very nice, you will do great there. I love that little street they have there with the restaurants, bars and galleries. I think that's a better call than the west bank.

Geezuss, Fatzmorris talkin' BBQ, hope that goes well. I think you will need to educate him somewhat.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

:lol:

Opening a food truck in manhattan would be an insane second step from a 1yr old small first location in New Orleans.

Lots of folks do it as their first step and make $$$$. Tipsy is ahead of the game...

Purely IMO:

I don't think you understand how BBQ works... He has a process. It's not like teaching someone to make pizza of a sandwich. It's a ~10 hour long process that's as much art as science.

If he's going to put his name on it, he'd need a guy who has worked in his process for long enough to have it down, and be willing to move up to manhattan, and be willing to ship back a portion of the proceeds rather than striking out on his own (the Mcclures brand doesn't really carry much equity there yet). Tipsy ain't moving to manhattan. :lol:

This is purely my .02 but branching out into a sales vehicle he's unfamiliar with, in a region he's unfamiliar with... Thousands of miles from his primary location. Crazy Move IMO.

I agree. The business model of a food truck compared to a brick and mortar location is quite different for any product and service. Process is a key factor in the success of any business, and process alone is hard to keep consistent between truck/brick & mortar, let alone the distance between the two operations. It's way too early to be developing different processes, which distance and changes in footprint inevitably bring. Take a working model and repeat it somewhere close.

Edited by Politician Spock

I hinted at the 100 miles away location moving to the front burner recently. I honestly don't think I can stop it from happening now. My partner is going to be the General Manager of the location...it is in a popular bar over there just minutes from the very famous "The Shed" folks whom even have their own tv show. The Guy who owns the bar owns parts of several restaurants and bars on the Mississippi Coast....this location is on a really big piece of land underneath a huge canopy of oak trees with an outdoor stage and pretty much my dream type spot.

I'll get into the details soon...but this could all go down very soon. I'm actually already training people. It's nuts.

• Like 6

Ocean Springs is very nice, you will do great there. I love that little street they have there with the restaurants, bars and galleries. I think that's a better call than the west bank.

Geezuss, Fatzmorris talkin' BBQ, hope that goes well. I think you will need to educate him somewhat.

if i can get a word in.....

and the bar is on that street, but two blocks east of the main drag. the bar does really well but only from 10 pm to 6 am...our food may change that to a 24/7 busy place.

• Like 2

I hinted at the 100 miles away location moving to the front burner recently. I honestly don't think I can stop it from happening now. My partner is going to be the General Manager of the location...it is in a popular bar over there just minutes from the very famous "The Shed" folks whom even have their own tv show. The Guy who owns the bar owns parts of several restaurants and bars on the Mississippi Coast....this location is on a really big piece of land underneath a huge canopy of oak trees with an outdoor stage and pretty much my dream type spot.

I'll get into the details soon...but this could all go down very soon. I'm actually already training people. It's nuts.

:clap:

Awesome, GB.

You know I love some mcclures. But I cant lie. The Shed has some awesome bbq sauce. Used it on my ribs the other day.

Best of luck going up against them though

You know I love some mcclures. But I cant lie. The Shed has some awesome bbq sauce. Used it on my ribs the other day.

Actually it's genius if you ask me - turns Ocean Springs into a must stop BBQ and music location in the South. This way you get people to stay longer in the area and visit both locations and make it a music and BBQ vacation. Something I know I would do now - whereas before I usually just stayed in NOLA because of the better lure of music and food. Looks like I'll have a reason to do a road trip around the region more often now.

Being completely honest I had no clue there was a place called Ocean Springs or that there could be a reason to go there.

Thanks for making me learn something today as well!

ETA: And congrats!

Edited by msommer

This isn't about going head to head w them...we can both do well and it make it even more of a BBQ spot for the travelers......but you are the first person to ever tell me they prefer their stuff.

This isn't about going head to head w them...we can both do well and it make it even more of a BBQ spot for the travelers......but you are the first person to ever tell me they prefer their stuff.
didnt say prefer. I have never eaten there. Only had their bbq sauce.

I'm in the same camp as Acer. I know The Shed from TV (never eaten there) and I'm wondering how smart it is to open a BBQ joint so close to it.

BUT, I'm on your side, Tipsy, and if I ever get the chance to choose between McClure's and The Shed, I'll pick your place every time. Best of luck to you, GB.

I'm in the same camp as Acer. I know The Shed from TV (never eaten there) and I'm wondering how smart it is to open a BBQ joint so close to it.

BUT, I'm on your side, Tipsy, and if I ever get the chance to choose between McClure's and The Shed, I'll pick your place every time. Best of luck to you, GB.

It sounds like there is a lot of opportunity for tourist business. Tourist are less likely to be wedded to one place. And really no matter how popular a place is locally there are people who would like something different. It's why you can have so many pizza places in one city heck in a few block area.

does Burger King do well near McDonald's?

I'm not trying to beat them....but there is room for more and these guys have so many connections down there that I know we will pull some of their biz.

My gut tells me the new spot crushes my 1st one in sales. Still...my focus will remain on the original.

does Burger King do well near McDonald's?

I'm not trying to beat them....but there is room for more and these guys have so many connections down there that I know we will pull some of their biz.

My gut tells me the new spot crushes my 1st one in sales. Still...my focus will remain on the original.

Ok, OK, I surrender. I can see that there's room for both of you. I was just pointing out that, as a guy stuck in Ohio many miles away from good BBQ, it might not be ideal. But I wish you the best and if I'm ever down south I'll check out McClure's and screw those other guys
  • Like 1

Im so New Orleans I probably served Tipsy McStagger drinks at Shanahans, TJ Quills, Parlays and Tipitinas years before he ever rubbed any meat.

When were you at TJs?

Im so New Orleans I probably served Tipsy McStagger drinks at Shanahans, TJ Quills, Parlays and Tipitinas years before he ever rubbed any meat.

When were you at TJs?
I was gonna ask the same thing. What about parlays?

I was actually at Parlays twice--my buddies owned and ran it--and bartended at TJ Quills at the same time.

If you were there in the early 90's, we probably crossed paths a few times.

I was, so probably a lot more than a few times. Im sure we know each other if you hung out much. I lived in NO for 10 years and spent 9 of them behind or running bars. I still see people I know at the airport every time I fly in with my family and drink free in a number of joints. My wife is born and raised NO and she says it is ridiculous how many people i still know down there, even though I moved away about 18 years ago. The problem is I might have served them 8000 drinks but I cant remember all their names.

Flying on to Biloxi right now...are you open in MS yet?

i did run Figaros back in the early 90's....i'd think it impossible that you didn't serve me?

Did you know Gordon Mcphee? (for Todd)

I definitely served you, tipsy. And I ordered from Figaro's all the time back then when you ran it. You were a couple years behind me at our university and I think you mean Cory Mcphee, right? If so, yes, I know him.

ha....nope. But go grab a sandwich at zeppelins...
  • Like 1

ha....nope. But go grab a sandwich at zeppelins...
The Shed has the coolest layout ever. I hope you can pull this off. BBQ is pretty good too.

Saw your 'advertisement' about rubs on Facebook tonite. You ship? Please? :wub:

yeah, didnt get a chance for the rub for baseball draft but would love it for my football draft

:popcorn:

Send a check for $20 , with your name, address, and email sent to

McClure's Barbecue

4800 Magazine

New Orleans, LA 70115

The twenty gets you the sampler pack of Pecan Smoked Salt, Butt Rub, Rib Rub, Chicken Rub, and Brisket rub. 3 oz of each shipped to your door.

Next up...a drastic increase in those prices once I get them professionally packaged (local fbg has been contracted to make this and the bottling and distribution of my sauces happen). I'm going to smoke sea salt with five different woods: Pecan, Hickory, Apple, Peach, and Cherry.... 5 salts & 4 rubs & 6 sauces coming to an internet store soon.

Edited by tipsy mcstagger
  • Like 2

Send a check for $20 , with your name, address, and email sent to 4800 Magazine street and it gets you the sampler pack of Pecan Smoked Salt, Butt Rub, Rib Rub, Chicken Rub, and Brisket rub. 3 oz of each.

Next up...a drastic increase in those prices once I get them professionally packaged (local fbg has been contracted to make this and the bottling and distribution of my sauces happen). I'm going to smoke sea salt with five different woods: Pecan, Hickory, Apple, Peach, and Cherry.... 5 salts & 4 rubs & 6 sauces coming to an internet store soon.

In. Made out to you or Mcclures?

McClure's Barbecue

4800 Magazine

New Orleans, LA 70115

The twenty gets you the sampler pack of Pecan Smoked Salt, Butt Rub, Rib Rub, Chicken Rub, and Brisket rub. 3 oz of each shipped to your door.

That is great! You have that time for preparing those new products booked in to the second half of the day, right? (hours 25-48!!)

Once you get the online store set up, let us know and us FFA guys will advertise the heck out of it!!!

McClure's Barbecue

4800 Magazine

New Orleans, LA 70115

For those not linked to Tipsy on Facebook, here is a pic of the 'sampler' pack.

Silly question, Tipsy...Are the rubs 'full' or are they like those that you sent out with the shirts, where we had to add some stuff before using them?