What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JoJo's Silver Mine (1 Viewer)

NOTE: changing thread title again, to put all of my silver/gold musings

The 25th Anniversary of the US Mint's Silver American Eagle coin set was released at noon today.

Traffic is overloaded right now, but I managed to secure a 5 set purchase (max per household). Do a search on Ebay for these sets, they are going as high as $2100 for a 5 set purchase ($1499.75).

http://www.usmint.gov/

The 2006 Anniversary set (20th) sold very well and had 2x the allotment, only 100k sets available through the US Mint today. Local Coin Shops will pay a premium for your orders as well if you would rather not go through EBay.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also try to place phone orders, you will need to keep calling and dialing 1 after message and wait to get connected, if you don't get connected you will get a busy signal or it will just hangup on you

800-USA-MINT

For the 20th Anniversary 3 coin ASE set released in 2006, the mint price was less than $100.

They now sell for $350 a set ($117 per coin).

That set also had 2x the mintage.

I'm in. 5x. I'm listing them individually as I want to keep 1 set minimum for my Dad, maybe 1 for me. 3 are posted on E-bay now and getting some interest already. I can't believe how hot these things are. I'm aware of but not IN the coin world, but I know my Dad has collected these sets for years.

Hopefully I can sell 3 and make enough to pay for 5, then keep 2 for free basically.

You don't REALLY need the money up front. Buyer pays via paypal at time of purchase. You don't pay till they ship from the mint on 11/10. Use the paypal $$ to pay the credit card you used to buy them. If nobody buys off e-bay, worst case you RETURN them to the mint for what you paid. Win-win.

I'm in. 5x. I'm listing them individually as I want to keep 1 set minimum for my Dad, maybe 1 for me. 3 are posted on E-bay now and getting some interest already. I can't believe how hot these things are. I'm aware of but not IN the coin world, but I know my Dad has collected these sets for years. Hopefully I can sell 3 and make enough to pay for 5, then keep 2 for free basically.You don't REALLY need the money up front. Buyer pays via paypal at time of purchase. You don't pay till they ship from the mint on 11/10. Use the paypal $$ to pay the credit card you used to buy them. If nobody buys off e-bay, worst case you RETURN them to the mint for what you paid. Win-win.
So you can return them to the mint and just pay the shipping cost?

I'm in. 5x. I'm listing them individually as I want to keep 1 set minimum for my Dad, maybe 1 for me. 3 are posted on E-bay now and getting some interest already. I can't believe how hot these things are. I'm aware of but not IN the coin world, but I know my Dad has collected these sets for years. Hopefully I can sell 3 and make enough to pay for 5, then keep 2 for free basically.You don't REALLY need the money up front. Buyer pays via paypal at time of purchase. You don't pay till they ship from the mint on 11/10. Use the paypal $$ to pay the credit card you used to buy them. If nobody buys off e-bay, worst case you RETURN them to the mint for what you paid. Win-win.
one little flaw with your logicUNLESS you made 5 separate purchases, buyers on EBay will only want an unopened box (for a chance at getting PR70 rated). If you bought 5 at a time you typically have 2 choices:1) Send all 5 to get rated yourself and pay ~800 - then you can break them up and do as you please2) Sell all 5 as a package on EBay (less profit then selling individually)

I'm in. 5x. I'm listing them individually as I want to keep 1 set minimum for my Dad, maybe 1 for me. 3 are posted on E-bay now and getting some interest already. I can't believe how hot these things are. I'm aware of but not IN the coin world, but I know my Dad has collected these sets for years.

Hopefully I can sell 3 and make enough to pay for 5, then keep 2 for free basically.

You don't REALLY need the money up front. Buyer pays via paypal at time of purchase. You don't pay till they ship from the mint on 11/10. Use the paypal $$ to pay the credit card you used to buy them. If nobody buys off e-bay, worst case you RETURN them to the mint for what you paid. Win-win.
So you can return them to the mint and just pay the shipping cost?
Yup.THIS BLOG is trying to keep track and is estimating a sell-out today.

Also from the above:

The fastest US Mint sell out within recent memory was for the 2009 Lincoln Coin & Chronicles Set, which had a production of 50,000 units, one per household ordering limit, and price of $55.95. After five hours, sales had reached 29,919 sets. Sales continued until a sell out was reached the following day at 6:00 PM, after 30 hours of availability.
Which means that if these sell out TODAY, that would shatter that record.

one little flaw with your logicUNLESS you made 5 separate purchases, buyers on EBay will only want an unopened box (for a chance at getting PR70 rated). If you bought 5 at a time you typically have 2 choices:1) Send all 5 to get rated yourself and pay ~800 - then you can break them up and do as you please2) Sell all 5 as a package on EBay (less profit then selling individually)
Please elaborate. Either I'm missing something or you're missing something. Why would a rating of a mint set of 5 coins care if I had 1 or 5 of those sets?ETA: Ohhh...I get it...somehow getting them rated while still sealed in the original box from the US Mint makes them worth more? Oh well. Whatever. If worse comes to worse, I just keep all 5. The 20th anniversary set is selling for a lot more than when it came out, and the Lincoln set mentioned above that was the previous fastest sell-out is 3x issue price.

Please elaborate. Either I'm missing something or you're missing something. Why would a rating of a mint set of 5 coins care if I had 1 or 5 of those sets?
Once you open a 5-pack you can not get the set graded, since only 2 coins out of the 5 are unique (you could have replaced 3 of the non-unique coins). This degrades the value of each set. You either need to make 5 separate orders to the US Mint (easiest done if you get through on the phone) or if you buy all 5 in 1 shipment you have the two options I outlined above, you do have a 3rd option, to break up the 5-pack and diminish their resale value which is what you are intending to do.

Please elaborate. Either I'm missing something or you're missing something. Why would a rating of a mint set of 5 coins care if I had 1 or 5 of those sets?
Once you open a 5-pack you can not get the set graded, since only 2 coins out of the 5 are unique (you could have replaced 3 of the non-unique coins). This degrades the value of each set. You either need to make 5 separate orders to the US Mint (easiest done if you get through on the phone) or if you buy all 5 in 1 shipment you have the two options I outlined above, you do have a 3rd option, to break up the 5-pack and diminish their resale value which is what you are intending to do.
Now I'm confused again. I'm not breaking up 1 set of 5 coins. I'm breaking up 5 sets in my order, with each set having 5 coins in-tact. Each set of 5 will come in it's own mint display case. I have 5 sets of 5.

Now I'm confused again. I'm not breaking up 1 set of 5 coins. I'm breaking up 5 sets in my order, with each set having 5 coins in-tact. Each set of 5 will come in it's own mint display case. I have 5 sets of 5.
mint display case ≠ factory sealed / shipped / untampered case from the US Mint

mint display case ≠ factory sealed / shipped / untampered case from the US Mint
Got it. didn't know that was a difference. I guess I'll see how they sell. I can always just choose not to open the set of 5 when I get them and sell them as 1 since those are still listing at $2,000+ on E-bay. My listing doesn't say anything about them being sealed this way, so I guess if someone pays what I'm asking, so be it.

:Got it. didn't know that was a difference. I guess I'll see how they sell. I can always just choose not to open the set of 5 when I get them and sell them as 1 since those are still listing at $2,000+ on E-bay. My listing doesn't say anything about them being sealed this way, so I guess if someone pays what I'm asking, so be it.
Yeah if you go to completed listings, most expensive 5x set sold for: US $2,849.89Description: 5 SEALED SETS, 25 COINS, FIRST STRIKE & EARLY RELEASE

I am just going by what I have read from kitco boards:https://www.kitcomm.com/DYODD
Guy on here claims a APMEX.com is offering $425/set.
Yeah that is pretty good, you have to assume there's a reason they are offering that much though (its worth more). I am not looking for an early flip, going to hold onto these and possibly get them graded depending on what I learn between now and 11/10.

I am just going by what I have read from kitco boards:https://www.kitcomm.com/DYODD
Guy on here claims a APMEX.com is offering $425/set.
Yeah that is pretty good, you have to assume there's a reason they are offering that much though (its worth more). I am not looking for an early flip, going to hold onto these and possibly get them graded depending on what I learn between now and 11/10.
Someone said that the last 20th anniversary set didn't peak till 10 months after issue. That's the primary reason I'm selling 3 and keeping 2...but I guess for me the biggest thing is an "unexpected" $1,500 purchase. The wife seems fine with it though, which is shocking.

so a new record has been broken?

This is from the US Mint site:Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available due to an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-in, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.When we place your order on the waiting list, we will send you an order receipt. This is not a guarantee that you will receive your order. If we are not able to fulfill your order, you will receive a cancellation or sold-out notification. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund.

5-set auctions completing for over $2500 ($1k profit less ebay fees), from what I am reading this is just the tip of the iceberg since it usually takes a few months for these to peak in value.

Sold out.
Hmmm. How can I tell if my order is 'waiting list' or not? Got one on ebay with bids already. I have an order number.
what time did you place your order? sold out at around 4:30 EST
On the US mint site it says: Order Status: Your order request is on hold.Then below that, at the bottom of the page it has my order in another color and under 'Item Status' it says :4 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/11/2011been trying to call them but cant't get through :angry:

Sold out.
Hmmm. How can I tell if my order is 'waiting list' or not? Got one on ebay with bids already. I have an order number.
On the US mint site it says: Order Status: Your order request is on hold.Then below that, at the bottom of the page it has my order in another color and under 'Item Status' it says :4 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/11/2011been trying to call them but cant't get through :angry:
they are all back-ordered, you should be finehere's my email:
Order Process Date: 10/27/11 Merchandise : 1499.75 Freight . . . : 4.95 Total . . : 1504.70 1. 25TH ANNIVERSARY AE 5 COIN SILVER SET (A25) Qty 5 @ $299.95 - Backordered 11/10/11.

Sold out.
they are all back-ordered, you should be finehere's my email:
Order Process Date: 10/27/11 Merchandise : 1499.75 Freight . . . : 4.95 Total . . : 1504.70 1. 25TH ANNIVERSARY AE 5 COIN SILVER SET (A25) Qty 5 @ $299.95 - Backordered 11/10/11.
Looks like mine. I got through and am waiting to talk to a real person. The automated system said my order is being processed or something like that- I forgot already - while patiently waiting on the real person. This could take a while.Cool, I think.Her: It appears you got in just before the waiting list.Me: So I'm good then?Her: It looks that way.She didn't sound too sure of herself.

This is my first set of "collector" coins, so I am pretty new to numismatics. Doing a little research on getting the coins graded, I find:

PCGS will designate two coins as First Strike. All 5 Coins will be labeled as 25th Anniversary. Coins must arrive in sealed box. They will send them back but they are tied up for the grading period. Extra charge for the First Strike designation is required. No extra charge for the 25th Anniversary designation. Membership is required.

$70.00 = $14.00 per coin grading fee for 5 coins.

$36.00 = $18.00 First Strike designation fee for two coins.

$8.00 Handling fee for the order.

$21.95 S/H charge for the order. (5 coins = 21.95)

--------

$135.95 PCGS fees for 5 coin set

Doesn't look like NGC has updated their website for the 25th Anniversary sets. I did see an interesting post though, since all sets sold out on the first day and there will be no other sets created, there really is no value in paying extra for "First Strike" or "Early Release"

since EVERY Reverse Proof and S mint mark Eagle is an Early Release. Hence why PCGS makes the additional charge mandatory :thumbdown:

One other note, you are not going to want to mix-n-match your sets, sequentially numbered sets have higher value than non-sequentially numbered sets.

This is my first set of "collector" coins, so I am pretty new to numismatics. Doing a little research on getting the coins graded, I find:

PCGS will designate two coins as First Strike. All 5 Coins will be labeled as 25th Anniversary. Coins must arrive in sealed box. They will send them back but they are tied up for the grading period. Extra charge for the First Strike designation is required. No extra charge for the 25th Anniversary designation. Membership is required.

--------

Doesn't look like NGC has updated their website for the 25th Anniversary sets. I did see an interesting post though, since all sets sold out on the first day and there will be no other sets created, there really is no value in paying extra for "First Strike" or "Early Release"

since EVERY Reverse Proof and S mint mark Eagle is an Early Release. Hence why PCGS makes the additional charge mandatory :thumbdown:

One other note, you are not going to want to mix-n-match your sets, sequentially numbered sets have higher value than non-sequentially numbered sets.
Some people prefer PCGS and some prefer NGC. They are the only coin graders where you will get maximum value when selling graded coins. Others are discounted big time and not worth it.By the way, ebay has removed a lot of these sets saying they must be in hand with photos proving it. One of mine so far has been taken off and it was already over $300(a 1 day sale). I sent them a couple messages, one griping about it because there are still 70+ still on ebay. remove one, remove ALL!!

--------

Some people prefer PCGS and some prefer NGC. They are the only coin graders where you will get maximum value when selling graded coins. Others are discounted big time and not worth it.By the way, ebay has removed a lot of these sets saying they must be in hand with photos proving it. One of mine so far has been taken off and it was already over $300(a 1 day sale). I sent them a couple messages, one griping about it because there are still 70+ still on ebay. remove one, remove ALL!!
Wow good to know, I wonder if the prices will go up once sets are delivered. Can you list it as a 30 day auction or would that get pulled as well?

By the way, ebay has removed a lot of these sets saying they must be in hand with photos proving it. One of mine so far has been taken off and it was already over $300(a 1 day sale). I sent them a couple messages, one griping about it because there are still 70+ still on ebay. remove one, remove ALL!!
They took all 3 of mine down. All 3 had at least 4-5 watchers, 25+ views, and one had a bid of $400 on it. I did the same thing you did. I told them that NOBODY had them in-hand, and they needed to either take them all down, or I would re-post. I waited a few hours, and upon seeing tons of them there, I re-posted according to these guidelines.So far so good...But honestly, if they bump them again, I might just sit on them now that I know how quickly they sold out. I hadn't planned on having $1500 tied up for a few months, but given that the return is pretty good by investment standards, I'll make an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread