What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JoJo's Silver Mine (1 Viewer)

Any good investment opportunities out there? Gold or silver? Anything coming up?
The silver eagle sets aren't seeming to appreciate much these days. I'm in the process of unloading my remaining coins from those 25th anniversary silver eagle sets. I still have some phys gold that I am holding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my grades back, not too bad I suppose: 70-69-69-69DC-70 69-69-70-69DC-69 70-69-69-69DC-70 70-69-69-70DC-70 70-70-70-68DC-70 The two key coins (only purchasable as part of this set, 100k total mintage) are the 2nd (2011-S) and 5th (2011-P Reverse PR) coins. I only got one 70 for the 2011-S (PCGS population at 23%) but I got four 70's for the 2011-P Reverse Proof coin which was running 31% on the PCGS population report.
Is this an Onslaught?

Silver's near a 5 year low. I'm thinking about picking up a 100 oz bar. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Best price I can find is at a $54 markup over spot price. (3% markup)

Is she right?

Are you who caused the spike? Went up 40 cents start of trading today.

I started buying a little, but decided to only purchase ASE's. At that price, each round is 20 cents under current spot.
Slickdeals.net
I just can't deal with on-line sales through ebay. Especially not when the shipper is talking about two weeks turnaround as a minimum.

Have you ever ordered from JM Bullion? Think if I go the on-line route that's the vendor I would use.

What I really want is a local coin store that's ok with making their cut and would give me the option to trade I'd rebalance based on the GSR.

Probably wishful thinking though.

I just can't deal with on-line sales through ebay. Especially not when the shipper is talking about two weeks turnaround as a minimum.

Have you ever ordered from JM Bullion? Think if I go the on-line route that's the vendor I would use.

What I really want is a local coin store that's ok with making their cut and would give me the option to trade I'd rebalance based on the GSR.

I've bought through JM bullion a couple of times recently. They shipped fast and prices are cheaper than most other online dealers. The one difference I noticed between JM and APMEX, for example, is that APMEX requires a signature at delivery and JM bullion doesn't. I work from home a lot, so leaving it without a signature doesn't bother me, but it's something to keep in mind if you are concerned about them being delivered when no one is home.

I've bought through JM bullion a couple of times recently. They shipped fast and prices are cheaper than most other online dealers. The one difference I noticed between JM and APMEX, for example, is that APMEX requires a signature at delivery and JM bullion doesn't. I work from home a lot, so leaving it without a signature doesn't bother me, but it's something to keep in mind if you are concerned about them being delivered when no one is home.
I'd actually prefer no signature. Good neighborhood, don't have time to go to Post Office or FedEx and I'm probably only ordering a tube of silver eagles every two weeks.

Does anyone have tips on best way to turn silver eagles into gold eagles? I can justify the expense every two weeks, but my wife doesn't seem to realize that 1300 every six weeks is the same as 433 every two. Also, if cash just sits in checking it gets used.

Gawain said:
Dippa said:
Gawain said:

I'd actually prefer no signature. Good neighborhood, don't have time to go to Post Office or FedEx and I'm probably only ordering a tube of silver eagles every two weeks.

Does anyone have tips on best way to turn silver eagles into gold eagles? I can justify the expense every two weeks, but my wife doesn't seem to realize that 1300 every six weeks is the same as 433 every two. Also, if cash just sits in checking it gets used.
Transaction costs will eat you alive if you buy and sell frequently. The buy/sell spread at dealers can be as high as 10-15%.

Gawain said:
Dippa said:
Gawain said:

Transaction costs will eat you alive if you buy and sell frequently. The buy/sell spread at dealers can be as high as 10-15%.
Yeah, what I'd love is a guy who realizes that he's making a buck an eagle off me every two weeks, so if I want to convert silver eagles into gold eagles, he'd cut me a break. Knock on wood, but I'm at a point where all I'd be doing is buying and trading and wouldn't be selling. It'd be nice to buy from a place that would then be willing to trade without trying to double dip. If you know of a place around NYC, I'd check em out. Long term goal is to just amass a bit of a stake I can give my future kids or something. Where's the fun in selling?

I've used JM Bullion ~4 times now and APMEX once. I'll be using JM again soon because I bought coins from APMEX to catch up on some older ones but JM should have the new ones so I won't have to hop sites.

I've bought 10oz bars and kilo bars from JM. No problems at all. Actually, one. I sent my payment to their office and they emailed me saying they never received it after a week or so. I emailed back telling them where I sent it and so forth and they "found" it the next day. No big deal but a little irritating.

Should have bought some this summer when silver got under $15 an oz. Would have helped my average out a lot.

I've used JM Bullion ~4 times now and APMEX once. I'll be using JM again soon because I bought coins from APMEX to catch up on some older ones but JM should have the new ones so I won't have to hop sites.

I've bought 10oz bars and kilo bars from JM. No problems at all. Actually, one. I sent my payment to their office and they emailed me saying they never received it after a week or so. I emailed back telling them where I sent it and so forth and they "found" it the next day. No big deal but a little irritating.

Should have bought some this summer when silver got under $15 an oz. Would have helped my average out a lot.
Silver wait...

As someone who's looking at 30 years from now, I have little problem seeing these dips.

I've been buying every other Friday (payday) to dollar cost average, but I;m wondering if I should buy on dips like today instead of a specific day, give myself a weekly range.

Silver wait...

As someone who's looking at 30 years from now, I have little problem seeing these dips.

I've been buying every other Friday (payday) to dollar cost average, but I;m wondering if I should buy on dips like today instead of a specific day, give myself a weekly range.
Make a plan and stick to it, I guess. Not sure if buying each payday is best when you can buy a dip and buy in bulk to save on transaction fees. If it tests $15, I'd buy more kilo bars next time that happens to lower my average but to also cash in on a dip unlike what I didn't do this last time. I think if I get a summer job this year, anything I make from that job in profit will go towards silver. I did my Roth IRA contribution for this year so I can't add to that.

Do what is best for you. Buying online and watching JM Bullion sales might be better as well. Buy whats on sale if "silver" is all you're after.

Silver wait...

Make a plan and stick to it, I guess. Not sure if buying each payday is best when you can buy a dip and buy in bulk to save on transaction fees. If it tests $15, I'd buy more kilo bars next time that happens to lower my average but to also cash in on a dip unlike what I didn't do this last time. I think if I get a summer job this year, anything I make from that job in profit will go towards silver. I did my Roth IRA contribution for this year so I can't add to that.

Do what is best for you. Buying online and watching JM Bullion sales might be better as well. Buy whats on sale if "silver" is all you're after.
Where do you guys put all this stuff?

Silver wait...

Where do you guys put all this stuff?
A 10oz bar is about the size of a credit card. My kilo bar is about the size of a small power strip... ~5".

Buying opportunity or wait a little bit?

I'm thinking of buying sooner rather than later.
Almost everyone sees PM flat in 2015, so I don't think there's a big risk of missing a buying opportunity.

Support at 1200 and 16.00 for Au/Ag seems pretty strong, so I try to add a little when we get close to those numbers.

Buying PM when the fed is talking about raising rates isn't the best idea in the world. I could see gold hit 800 and silver 12 before long. PMs need a story to really take off and right now the story isn't great.

Now if you are in this for the long haul and are buying a little bit here and there every few weeks Id say keep buying. Europe/China are going to run the presses over the next few years and as tough as the Fed is talking now you see what happened to the market today. I don't think we will see a meaningful interest rate again soon.

Went to the local coin shop today and best they could do was $3.00 over spot on a 100oz silver bar ... :no:

Sounds like even with that markup they are selling all their .999 inventory below what they paid.

Went to the local coin shop today and best they could do was $3.00 over spot on a 100oz silver bar ... :no:

Sounds like even with that markup they are selling all their .999 inventory below what they paid.
Last page I posted my stop into "my guy" last week. He "had to" get $2.50 over spot on junk silver "because that's what we need". This is the same guy who sold to me at spot in the past so I took this to mean he took a bath on his current inventory.

Last page I posted my stop into "my guy" last week. He "had to" get $2.50 over spot on junk silver "because that's what we need". This is the same guy who sold to me at spot in the past so I took this to mean he took a bath on his current inventory.
You can get a new 100 oz bar online for less than a buck over spot. Can't believe he's making any sales if he can't float during price fluctuations.

The big vendors who take short or long positions based on their inventory really are doing it right.

On the down turn a few months ago, kilo bars were under $500. Was kicking myself for not buying at that time. I wouldn't have sold during the interim so I wouldn't have made any money but I'm watching those kilo prices again.

Not sure how low silver will go but I'm thinking I'll buy near the $15 mark. Watch... for some reason silver will jump back to $20 or damn near before it even gets near to $15.

On the down turn a few months ago, kilo bars were under $500. Was kicking myself for not buying at that time. I wouldn't have sold during the interim so I wouldn't have made any money but I'm watching those kilo prices again.

Not sure how low silver will go but I'm thinking I'll buy near the $15 mark. Watch... for some reason silver will jump back to $20 or damn near before it even gets near to $15.
I feel a little greedy not buying already but I'm gonna wait till this Friday to pick up 100 oz. PMs have been getting beat down on Fridays, and this is the Friday before an expected rate hike next week. I think its possible they don't raise rates next week, which would ruin this great buying opportunity. But even if they do, even if silver dips into the single digits, I am personally happy to pay the prices we have today.

I feel a little greedy not buying already but I'm gonna wait till this Friday to pick up 100 oz. PMs have been getting beat down on Fridays, and this is the Friday before an expected rate hike next week. I think its possible they don't raise rates next week, which would ruin this great buying opportunity. But even if they do, even if silver dips into the single digits, I am personally happy to pay the prices we have today.
:popcorn:

I think spot was ~$15.45 when you made this post. Went up $.26 cents so far today. Small difference for the amount I'd be spending but still a difference. Any more news on rate hikes?

:popcorn:

I think spot was ~$15.45 when you made this post. Went up $.26 cents so far today. Small difference for the amount I'd be spending but still a difference. Any more news on rate hikes?
I'm at about $45 more expensive than the best price I've seen. Cheap entertainment I suppose, I'll buy just after close today. I think the only people who will have real insight into the fed rate decision before the announcement is the fed members and their tbtf buddies. But in general I think the economy is rather crap compared to the picture painted and the golden egg that is driving consumer spending is the 401k statements from a propped up stock market making people feel rich. Add to that the increased cost of the government servicing its debts with more normalized interest rates, and that the dollar is very expensive relative to the other toilet papers and even commodities, from my I guess cynical perspective I find it hard to believe that the fed will raise rates here. 25 basis points wont wreck the world I don't think so maybe they do it just to show 'progress', but I don't think Yellen wants to raise rates here. The beauty of having a centrally planned economy.....

I hope so.

Problem is the coin dealers aren't playing along. Nobody is dropping the price on junk or Eagles.

I hope so.

Problem is the coin dealers aren't playing along. Nobody is dropping the price on junk or Eagles.
JMB had 10 oz RMC bars up for .79 over spot. Downturn knocked them out of stock and they're now showing .89 over spot.

They have an RMC Kilo bar at .79 over spot which is calling my name. Can buy at less than 16 bucks an ounce.

Their Eagles are under 19 for a tube which doesn't do much for me and still want more than 13X face for junk. Maples at 3 bucks over spot aren't doing it either.

APMEX has ASE on ebay at $18.25, which isn't bad.

Yeah I saw the ampex eBay posting. It's basically setting the market right now. Still $18 an eagle is too damn high in this environment

10 years from now we will laugh at these prices IMHO.

JMB has "raised" the premiums. I say raised because the drop today didn't reflect the same drop in their coins or their bullion unless it was on sale.

Philharmonics were $1.99 over spot but now are ~$2.50 over spot (the cheapest coin on the site)

Libertads are cheaper than the Eagles

Eagles are around $19.05 still even though they were near that price before the drop.

Maples are still cheaper than these other than the Phils.

JMB has "raised" the premiums. I say raised because the drop today didn't reflect the same drop in their coins or their bullion unless it was on sale.

Philharmonics were $1.99 over spot but now are ~$2.50 over spot (the cheapest coin on the site)

Libertads are cheaper than the Eagles

Eagles are around $19.05 still even though they were near that price before the drop.

Maples are still cheaper than these other than the Phils.
US Mint announced no new orders for ASE until likely August. Explains why premiums are moving up on coins.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102815693

Other than the dip below $15 for a couple hours, silver hasn't done much the past couple days. I've spent my money though and have one small purchase left to make. JMB gave me a $10 coupon for some marks that were on my eagles. They offered to pay for postage to have me send them back but I asked them for $10 instead so we wouldn't have to worry about shipping and waiting. I'm not sure if I should buy bullion or coins... given for free shipping it will be just over $100 or so for my next purchase.

I did receive my air-tites today and put my coins in them. My 5oz coins look really good in them and I feel better now that they are protected. Those 5oz coins are for selling purposes later on as I prefer bullion instead.

Any of you shop at Monarch Precious Metals? Are their prices always so cheap? They don't carry a lot of stock but their products do look decent on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the dip below $15 for a couple hours, silver hasn't done much the past couple days. I've spent my money though and have one small purchase left to make. JMB gave me a $10 coupon for some marks that were on my eagles. They offered to pay for postage to have me send them back but I asked them for $10 instead so we wouldn't have to worry about shipping and waiting. I'm not sure if I should buy bullion or coins... given for free shipping it will be just over $100 or so for my next purchase.

I did receive my air-tites today and put my coins in them. My 5oz coins look really good in them and I feel better now that they are protected. Those 5oz coins are for selling purposes later on as I prefer bullion instead.

Any of you shop at Monarch Precious Metals? Are their prices always so cheap? They don't carry a lot of stock but their products do look decent on YouTube.
Little up at open today. I bought one of the 10 oz bars and the 5g bar JMB had on sail at the dip. I can't justify buying coins when the premiums are so high. Let a tube of ASE get back to 3 bucks over spot on a credit card and I'm happier. If you're looking for a $100 purchase, why not pick up another 5oz ATB? I'd like to start collecting those, but something (usually student loans) always seems to get in the way.

I assume the 5oz coins you are referring to are the ATBs? Do you have an Acadia you'd part with? Damn thing's close to $400 on APMEX.

MPM has shipping charges, which need to be factored in. Are you seeing something that stands out as a great deal?

And that's the "funny" part to all of this. We are now at the point where nobody is going to sell at these prices unless they have too. If silver goes to $11 an eagle will still be $17-18.

Little up at open today. I bought one of the 10 oz bars and the 5g bar JMB had on sail at the dip. I can't justify buying coins when the premiums are so high. Let a tube of ASE get back to 3 bucks over spot on a credit card and I'm happier. If you're looking for a $100 purchase, why not pick up another 5oz ATB? I'd like to start collecting those, but something (usually student loans) always seems to get in the way.

I assume the 5oz coins you are referring to are the ATBs? Do you have an Acadia you'd part with? Damn thing's close to $400 on APMEX.

MPM has shipping charges, which need to be factored in. Are you seeing something that stands out as a great deal?
I did not notice shipping charges.The 5oz America coins are too far into the run to start now. The only one I'll be looking for is Wisconsin in a couple years. The 5oz coins I bought are the Libertads. I bought them kind of late, meaning I just bought them vs when they first came out. I think I'll buy those yearly until I sell. I bought three 2014 with the low mintage. Two of those will be sold in the future.

APMEX running a nice deal on some 2011 ATB 5 ounce coins.

In the spirit of the original thread, I'm wondering if the 1oz UHR $100 coin offers any quick flip possibilities.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2015-high-relief-gold-coin-UH8.html?cgid=product-schedule&q=undefined&start=undefined

the 50K seems a little high mintage, but the 50 per household makes me think that the big players will scoop up the whole supply for grading and there's an opportunity for a few of these to hit the bay.

Curious to hear what some of you are doing? Are you buying coins at this time (JMB has $2.49 over spot the Britannia's and Philharmonics) or are you buying bars/rounds?

I think I dipped in to coins just enough but the prices on the Brit's seem good. Libertads are under $19 at this point but I'm doing the 5oz of those. If USA did a 5oz eagle, I'd do those to. (The ATB's are too late in the game to get into those, I feel. It's five years in and a whole collection will never be had by me... premiums way too much for the early ones. The only one I'm looking to buy is Wisconsin but thats in a couple years.)

So, I'm thinking buying bars right now to lower the $ per oz is the way to go but the coins are attractive.

Curious to hear what some of you are doing? Are you buying coins at this time (JMB has $2.49 over spot the Britannia's and Philharmonics) or are you buying bars/rounds?

I think I dipped in to coins just enough but the prices on the Brit's seem good. Libertads are under $19 at this point but I'm doing the 5oz of those. If USA did a 5oz eagle, I'd do those to. (The ATB's are too late in the game to get into those, I feel. It's five years in and a whole collection will never be had by me... premiums way too much for the early ones. The only one I'm looking to buy is Wisconsin but thats in a couple years.)

So, I'm thinking buying bars right now to lower the $ per oz is the way to go but the coins are attractive.
ASE's are out until the premiums get back to normal levels. I feel like all the premiums on coins have risen because of the ASE shortage.

I had been doing ASE, but have just been catching as catch can lately. APMEX had some 5 oz ATB coins on sale, so I picked up a few. JMB had 5 and 10 oz bars recently, so added there.

Basically looking for lowest over spot at the moment, I'd rather not pay the premium when it's such a large percentage of the purchase price.

APMEX running a nice deal on some 2011 ATB 5 ounce coins.

In the spirit of the original thread, I'm wondering if the 1oz UHR $100 coin offers any quick flip possibilities.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2015-high-relief-gold-coin-UH8.html?cgid=product-schedule&q=undefined&start=undefined

the 50K seems a little high mintage, but the 50 per household makes me think that the big players will scoop up the whole supply for grading and there's an opportunity for a few of these to hit the bay.
50K sold out quickly. I got busy at work and forgot and the mint's out already.

Mint made the government a quick 20 million today.

Next opportunity is the 2015 Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles set.

Presales are on EBay now for $200 a piece.

Drops 8/11/15 at noon.

Should be an easy way to turn 125 into 250...provided you can get in.

Users who are viewing this thread