What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (2 Viewers)

I recall upgrading my computer when Oblivion came out about 5 years ago - since Morrowind was one of my all-time favorite games. Oblivion was such an abortion of a game that I have very little desire to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt a second time. I'll wait for the GOTY edition in a couple years if reviews are favorable from people I trust (I ignore the people who thought Oblivion was awesome).

:blackdot: . This fall is ruining my wallet for video games - Couldn't pass up Battlefield 3, already have my pre order in on MW3 and of course Skyrim. Can't believe I have to "skip" Demon's Souls (or whatever the new one is called) + Arkham City.

Cannot wait for this to come out. I'd be extremely pleased with just some refinements to Oblivion (i.e. LEVELING) let alone a full on improvement. The game simply looks amazing!

I recall upgrading my computer when Oblivion came out about 5 years ago - since Morrowind was one of my all-time favorite games. Oblivion was such an abortion of a game that I have very little desire to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt a second time. I'll wait for the GOTY edition in a couple years if reviews are favorable from people I trust (I ignore the people who thought Oblivion was awesome).
I played both Morrowwind and Oblivion. I've heard the arguments from those who didn't like Oblivion, but I think those people are crazy.

What's the advantage to preordering? I don't get that. Are you afraid they'll run out of copies on the release date?

I played both Morrowwind and Oblivion. I've heard the arguments from those who didn't like Oblivion, but I think those people are crazy.
:goodposting: Got to see the specs on this. I'm hoping to play it on my laptop instead of my PS3.

What's the advantage to preordering? I don't get that. Are you afraid they'll run out of copies on the release date?
It's shipped to me on release day. I go to stores as little as possible. :shrug:Oh, and I got a $10 amazon credit for my preorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: Got to see the specs on this. I'm hoping to play it on my laptop instead of my PS3.
I'd like to get this for PC. PC versions are normally $10 less than console, right?

I loved Oblivion but I don't think anyone can be termed crazy who thought the leveling sucked. I could see that one facet alone ruining the game for many.

'Matthias said:
Got to see the specs on this. I'm hoping to play it on my laptop instead of my PS3.
HereI got a pretty base-level Gateway laptop last year and it gets me to the min req's but not the rec'd. But wouldn't you want to play this on a TV anyway? I know I do.

Skyrim Minimum System Requirements

CPU: dual core 2GHz

RAM: 2GB

HDD: 6GB hard disk space

GFX: DX9c video card with 512MB RAM

OTHER: Internet Access for Steam activation

Skyrim Recommended System Requirements

CPU: quad-core Intel/AMD

RAM: 4GB

HDD: 6GB hard disk space

GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB

GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher

Audio: DX compatible sound card

One point of note is how low the HDD space required is. We thought it would be around 15-20GB but reported as only 6GB. Maybe a typo? If you hear different then let us know.

Pete Hines says - The Skyrim minimum specs get you playing, the Skyrim recommended specs let you play on High, not on Ultra. You'll want a beefier rig for that.

So baring that in mind lets take a look at what we reckon would be a suitable computer to get Skyrim running to a satisfactory level

GD Requirements for Skyrim

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83GHz / AMD Athlon II X2 265

RAM: 4GB

GFX: Nvidia GeForce GT 545 DDR3 / ATI Radeon HD 5670 1024MB
Thanks. I like games on my laptop because I need to share the TV with my son and wife. Since he's only 5, I can only play PG games around him. Basically, just sports. I think I'll be ok on the laptop. I have Dual Core 2.80GHz, 6 GB RAM, and I'm pretty sure 1GB reserved vid memory. I souped this puppy up when I bought it a year ago. :thumbup:

I'm really looking forward to this game. IMO Oblivion is the best game on PS3 and this game can surpass it.

I loved Oblivion but I don't think anyone can be termed crazy who thought the leveling sucked. I could see that one facet alone ruining the game for many.
It depends on what type of gamer you are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_TestI was pretty angry that they decimated the enchantment system and removed the ability to levitate and other neat spell effects that enabled non-violent explorability.

But the game design itself was really fundamentally flawed.

AutoLeveling of bad-guys with the character is stupid and removes all sense of achievement, let alone the dangers of exploration.

Mini-games for lockpicking, bartering and persuasion were awful.

Dungeon design was woefully repetitive.

Going with all voice-acting instead of text dialog severely limited the amount of dialog. And then they only had a half dozen voice actors perform all NPCs on the continent. At least add some kind of postprocessing effects to make the voices seem different.

The UI was terrible.

These are RPG-101 level mistakes from a company that has made these types of games for two decades.

That doesn't mean they didn't improve over Morrowind in some important ways. Combat is vastly improved, graphics are obviously great, etc. but these things don't appeal to me when there are other types of games that do these things better.

Skyrim needs to improve on the fundamental game design of Oblivion. A new storyline alone doesn't cut it if the game dynamics are bad, I'll just play a different game if all I wanted was new plot to chew through.

Pre-ordered. Along with Fallout, this is my favorite video game franchise that I've been part of since the very beginning.

Problem is that about 2 weeks after this comes out, I'll be working 70-80 hour weeks with no real days off until Christmas. I'm negotiating with the wife right now, to let me lock myself in the mancave on the 12th and 13th and taking the day off on the 14th to at least take care of my fix. After that, it will be an hour here or an hour there for a couple weeks and then it's unlikely I rally play much for a month.

For those asking PC or PS3, the reason the vast majority are saying PC (at least all around the net, not necessarily here) is two-fold:

1) The computer specs are pretty reasonable, considering the level of graphics in this game, so it's not for uber-rigs only

2) MODS!!! The modding community for Oblivion was mind-boggling (google Nehrim if you are curious) and it's assumed that it will be the same for Skyrim.

My son is super jazzed to get this game.

However, his grades have been slipping and if he doesn't improve them in the next few weeks, no game.

He is all of a sudden very motivated with regards to his homework

Anyone have the skinny on pre-ordering treats?

Edit: Amazon is $10 credit and "premium physical map"

I'll probably wait a bit before I get this. By the time the price drops to $45, a bunch of wikis should be up.

I am excited, but will be a little shocked if this is better then Dark Souls.
As you know from the Dark Souls thread, I love that franchise. But in fairness, Skyrim and Dark Souls are very different games. Assuming that Skyrim is like Oblivion/Fallout, it's going to be more about exploration, interaction with NPCs, and actual role-playing, whereas Dark Souls is more of a hack-and-slash D&D-type game. I imagine Skyrim will be way more relaxing to play.

Anyone have the skinny on pre-ordering treats?Edit: Amazon is $10 credit and "premium physical map"
Check K-Mart websites. The other retailers weren't blowing me away with their pre-order bonuses.I went to K-mart the day of release fro Arkham City and they were giving away a 30.00 game coupon (for any game) and a 10.00 coupon for Lord of the Rings: War in the North. To me, that beats any cloth map.

Morrowind literally consumed an entire summer of my teen years. Probably the best game I've ever played.

'Thunderlips said:
Anyone have the skinny on pre-ordering treats?Edit: Amazon is $10 credit and "premium physical map"
Check K-Mart websites. The other retailers weren't blowing me away with their pre-order bonuses.I went to K-mart the day of release fro Arkham City and they were giving away a 30.00 game coupon (for any game) and a 10.00 coupon for Lord of the Rings: War in the North. To me, that beats any cloth map.
This type of thing only in-person, or online as well?

Since I have an older computer I would need to spend decent money to upgrade I'm considering just buying a game console instead. Any disadvantage to playing this game on an Xbox or PS3 instead of on a PC? Demon's Soul's is only available on the PS3 and not on a PC or XBox correct? Since I have some neurological problems with my hands would the XBox or PS3 have a smaller size controller? Thanks guys, I really enjoyed the GOTY PC version of Oblivion (which I bought last year at the suggestion of many FBGs) and am looking forward to this next version of Elder Scrolls.

Since I have an older computer I would need to spend decent money to upgrade I'm considering just buying a game console instead. Any disadvantage to playing this game on an Xbox or PS3 instead of on a PC? Demon's Soul's is only available on the PS3 and not on a PC or XBox correct? Since I have some neurological problems with my hands would the XBox or PS3 have a smaller size controller? Thanks guys, I really enjoyed the GOTY PC version of Oblivion (which I bought last year at the suggestion of many FBGs) and am looking forward to this next version of Elder Scrolls.
Demon's Souls is only available on PS3. Dark Souls is available on PS3 and 360. The PS3 has the smaller controller of the 2 although there are smaller aftermarket contollers available for the 360.The only disadvantage to going console would be the fact that there will probably be a pretty robust modding community for this game on PC. If that isn't a deal breaker, then there's no reason not to go console.

'Thunderlips said:
This type of thing only in-person, or online as well?
Unfortunately I think it's in person. But the Arkham City reward wasn't a preorder....just a day of release thing.

I will probably wait for this, like I did with Oblivion. which means I will buy it later with all the expansion packs, get halfway through it, and then give up because the game is just too damn huge!

I don't understand why anyone would get a game guide. They take half the fun out of these games.
I don't have the time or the patience to figure out the minutiae of everything in games anymore, especially now given the breadth and complexity of the worlds these developers create. When I was 14, I was happy to spend 6 months of my life doing nothing but trying to burn down every bush and bomb every canyon wall in Zelda. Nowadays, if I can't figure out/kill/get past something in a videogame in about an hour, I look for an answer online. :shrug:

I don't understand why anyone would get a game guide. They take half the fun out of these games.
Not for me. I love reading the game guides as stand alone books, the Fallout 3 GOTY guide was so full of information it was incredible. For games the size of Skyrim where serious players may put in more than 250 hours, the guides are needed just sometimes to see what you missed in the game. I am not talking about the main quest or the guild quests but some of the side quests that are easily missable.

'Matthias said:
Roommate of mine had Morrowind and the player's guide. I avoided it most of the time but occasionally, it was just necessary. Trying to find a specific bush/spot in the middle of the wasteland on my own was infuriating.
Yup. With games this big, some things/places are impossible to find yourself. But the player still needs to execute the actions on their own.I tend to use guides and walkthroughs on the 2nd replay, and sometimes to strategize on a build.

After playing the game for 30 plus hours and making it all the way through the central quest you should be able to do whatever you wanted with Magic. The leveling indeed sucked as I got to a point where I could barely advance at all in some areas. It was way too complicated. I could never figure it out.After watching this it seems like it will suffer from the same drawbacks as Oblivion: detail and space in place of a vaguely original or engrossing storyline. Once you figure out all the stuff you can do in these games, you are ultimately left bored because you simply aren't ever asked to really care about any sort of plot or any of the characters in the game. This looks like a lot more of the same. A bunch of running around talking to strangers about crabs.

I don't have the time or the patience to figure out the minutiae of everything in games anymore, especially now given the breadth and complexity of the worlds these developers create. When I was 14, I was happy to spend 6 months of my life doing nothing but trying to burn down every bush and bomb every canyon wall in Zelda. Nowadays, if I can't figure out/kill/get past something in a videogame in about an hour, I look for an answer online. :shrug:
Agreed. I seldom use it for getting past bosses but it is too easy to miss good treasure because it is hidden in the most obscure places. Fin Gleam anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread