What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

Made the decision to pick this up at midnight. It's a bit rainy out right now and I have about 3-4 GameStops within 3 miles of me so there shouldn't be too much of a line. Probs gonna be a late night but with Veteran's Day tomorrow it'll be alright. Anyone know of any online deals for the guide or whatever? I won't need it for the first week+ while I explore but wondering if there is like a discount deal because I don't like the idea of paying like $25-30 for it.

Also anyone have any ideas what race they are going with etc?

'Matthias said:
That being said, what kind of learning curve am I looking at? Seems from the trailer and reviews that there is an awful lot going on in the game, but I am really anxious to try it out.
You should pick it up quick. Basically you start the game and then start doing the things that appeal to you. And then go from there.
:goodposting: Just fire it up and play. Really, that's it.

Played for about an hour and a half.

- Chose a Breton, mostly because they seemed fairly neutral along the warrior/mage scale and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet. Almost went Kajit (sp), but that's how I started Oblivion and I wanted to change it up. I made my guy with long white hair, messed up opaque eyes, and white war paint. Mean looking mofo.

- The leveling system with the perks is nice. The constellation layout is incredible.

- Shot a fox on my way to the next town. Snuck up on him and killed him with a sneak attack arrow. Nabbed his pelt for sale later.

- Met a hunter in the woods. She had a dog with her and was open to trade for food items.

- I escaped with the soldier instead of the rebel (for no particular reason). We ended up in the town's torture chamber. If this bothers you (like it did me), feel free to slaughter the skeevy torturer and his assistant. Your new pal won't mind. Also be sure to read the book in the torture chamber - it explains what the Dragonborn are, and their relationship to the imperial family and the Blades.
Until tomorrow.

So far, it looks amazing. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got home with my copy. Firing it up now (install 34% complete and taking its damn time). Sleep shmeep.

Picking it up on my way to work and getting the beautiful hard cover guide for this bad boy. The game is immense. I normally use the guide for maps and some guidance in character creation and spells. I love being an Arcane Warrior with the Elven race. I seem to gravitate to that race and make up in all my RPGs (Dragon Age Origins i made the supreme bad ### arcane warrior Elf). I tend to love to hunt and use a bow and arrow as well.

After about 100 hours I start using the guide to find things I found impossible to locate on my own as this game as well as Morrowind were gigantic. I gave up on Oblivion after around 30 hours because of the crappy leveling system.

This game looks amazing. Can't wait to create my first character late tonight after I get home from Queensrhyce!

Ooof. The family was supposed to go away this weekend, but now they're staying home.

:(

Skyrim playing vacation canceled.

Anyone know of any online deals for the guide or whatever? I won't need it for the first week+ while I explore but wondering if there is like a discount deal because I don't like the idea of paying like $25-30 for it.
Online wikis usually contain all the information included in the "official" guide and a lot more. And they're free.

Was all excited about my SWTOR Test/Beta invite this weekend. Now I'm thinking of picking this up instead (loved Morrowind on Xbox). Oh, the decisions...

Played a little more this morning.

- Fought a giant spider ala. The Return of the King.

Stay inside the adjacent chamber and pound her with arrows and fire spells. The doorway is too small for her to follow you.
- Aryn the Swift is not so swift.

Especially if you cut the limey *******'s legs out from him. And his arms. And his torso. And his head. See where I'm going with this?
- Had my first laugh out loud moment. I'm sneaking down a hall when I see a bandit in a room. I draw my bow, pull back an arrow, and then he moves. Damn. So I follow and take aim again. And just as I'm about to shoot, the idiot pulls a level and goes down screaming as arrows shoot from the walls. Thanks for showing me the trap, zipperhead. :lmao:

Definitely picking this up, just extremely torn between going 360 (playing on the 65") or PC (modding community). AHH.

I hope if Bethesda is going to require people to use Steam to install their games, that they force Steam to give you control over what directory a game is installed to.

Apparently Steam installs anything it installs to the hard drive that you put Steam on. Which means if I want Skyrim on my solid state drive (which of course I do), that any other games I get that deploy via Steam also have to go on it. Which is not at all desirable.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Your Amazon.com order of "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" has shipped!Your estimated delivery date is: Friday, November 11, 2011 :excited: :nerd:
Mine hasn't shipped yet. Weird...
Hope it shipped, but the lateness is not unusual. A lot of overnight stuff doesn't leave the buildings until later in the evening if there is an air hub near by.

Are there pauses in anyone else's game. I have had two so far and they have not been auto saves. Once was when the prisoners first get off caravan and then another in the keep. If its just me, I'm going to get a new copy

Are there pauses in anyone else's game. I have had two so far and they have not been auto saves. Once was when the prisoners first get off caravan and then another in the keep. If its just me, I'm going to get a new copy
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I should have never entered this thread. I was content with Arkham City, Gears of War 3 and COD: MW 3.....after listening to you jabronis....I'm going out to get it.

'Thunderlips said:
'AcerFC said:
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I should have never entered this thread. I was content with Arkham City, Gears of War 3 and COD: MW 3.....after listening to you jabronis....I'm going out to get it.
sorry, I didn't think that was any major spoiler. Still don't but I'll be more careful in the future

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Your Amazon.com order of "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" has shipped!Your estimated delivery date is: Friday, November 11, 2011 :excited: :nerd:
Mine hasn't shipped yet. Weird...
Hope it shipped, but the lateness is not unusual. A lot of overnight stuff doesn't leave the buildings until later in the evening if there is an air hub near by.
Good call. It ended up going out late last night and is out for delivery now. I can't remember any of my release date items going out well past business hours like that, but looks like its no big deal.

'Thunderlips said:
'AcerFC said:
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

sorry, I didn't think that was any major spoiler. Still don't but I'll be more careful in the future
Just having a little fun as I realize that 100+ hours of my life are spoken for by stepping foot off that caravan.

What kind of settings will I be able to wrangle out of this game given the following PC specs? I think I meet the recommended for the most part, but does this mean I can turn it up to 11?

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/11/2011, 10:25:20

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/10/09 13:23:21 Ver: 08.00.15

Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM

Page File: 4664MB used, 3507MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 460

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_23211462&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2525 MB

Dedicated Memory: 738 MB

Shared Memory: 1787 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: HF259

Monitor Model: HF259

Monitor Id: HSD1A38

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

'AcerFC said:
My game paused when I first got off the caravan (PS3). But I was able to bring up the menu and continue from there. Bringing up the menu may have been the point of that pause -- it was hard to tell. At first I thought I was frozen -- which would be typical for Bethesda after all -- but all was good.

Breton leaning toward stealth, smithy, and conjuration (to occupy enemies while I sneak around for backstabs).

Working through Bleak Falls Temple now. Fun dungeon so far. :thumbup:

My copy should be sitting on my front porch waiting on me to get off work. Now the only question is whether to start this epic or play some more MW3...choices, choices...

picked it, and the guide, up at lunch. Can't crack the game open until tonight.Deciding on a build/character is going to be tough.
First run thru with a RPG and I have no clue. I chose Imperial (I think that's what it is called)I know there is a constellation chart that you can add powers to. Can anyone break that down for me. When do you get extra powers to add to it. (PM if it's not the right place) I've been following the main story so far but went into one dungeon area I found along the way. Is it basically go in if you want or skip. Or is there a definitive way of knowing that you have to enter someplace. Last one. I have been taking everything I can off people. Then I was too heavy and threw something back. Is there a way to sell this stuff like in that palace area in Oblivion (I guess it's a general question about RPG since its my first time and most haven't cracked this game yet)I'll hang up and listen now. Sorry for the noob questions. I do enjoy it so far though.

Picked this up at the midnight release, got home about 1:00 and turned it on. Next time I looked at the clock it was 7:00. Freaking awesome game so far. :thumbup:

picked it, and the guide, up at lunch. Can't crack the game open until tonight.Deciding on a build/character is going to be tough.
First run thru with a RPG and I have no clue. I chose Imperial (I think that's what it is called)I know there is a constellation chart that you can add powers to. Can anyone break that down for me. When do you get extra powers to add to it. (PM if it's not the right place) I've been following the main story so far but went into one dungeon area I found along the way. Is it basically go in if you want or skip. Or is there a definitive way of knowing that you have to enter someplace. Last one. I have been taking everything I can off people. Then I was too heavy and threw something back. Is there a way to sell this stuff like in that palace area in Oblivion (I guess it's a general question about RPG since its my first time and most haven't cracked this game yet)I'll hang up and listen now. Sorry for the noob questions. I do enjoy it so far though.
imperial is good at "aggresive offense" or something like that. Also seems to be a good fit for smithing. I will let others answer the questions, I don't think I can explain it well w/o playing.

Users who are viewing this thread