What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Would not mind this dream lineup though:

Russell SS

Alcantara 2B

Bryant 3B (been hearing his defense is vastly improved there this season)

Rizzo 1B

Stanton or Soler RF

Baez LF

Schwarber C (yeah, I know he probably won't play there, but this is a dream)
Almora CF

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Castro considered good at defense now by those of you that watch him frequently? I vaguely remember him struggling early in his career, but he has looked great in this series. I only ask because the Reds announcers kept talking about him being moved to another position for Russell and it seemed like SS defense was the least of the Cubs problems so I was surprised that seemed to be a popular opinion.
He has all of the talent for the position. He loses some concentration from time to time. The problem I see is that his issues don't change moving him to another position. It isn't like he doesn't have the range or the arm for shortstop. He has it all. He makes plays other shortstops can't make. He has been an average SS in his career but perception of those concentration lapses dominate the Castro media cycle.

There is absolutely no reason the Cubs trade Castro unless they are blown away by an offer. All the talk about their shortstop prospects is silly considering Russell is the only one who can shift Castro off of shortstop. Alantara is a 2B/CF going forward and Baez will be playing 2B/3B/OF when he is called up next year. Russell likely doesn't see Wrigley until late 2015/2016. Even if all the prospects work out, there is a spot for everybody in the short term. And we all know that some of these prospects won't work out.

Is Castro considered good at defense now by those of you that watch him frequently? I vaguely remember him struggling early in his career, but he has looked great in this series. I only ask because the Reds announcers kept talking about him being moved to another position for Russell and it seemed like SS defense was the least of the Cubs problems so I was surprised that seemed to be a popular opinion.
He has all of the talent for the position. He loses some concentration from time to time. The problem I see is that his issues don't change moving him to another position. It isn't like he doesn't have the range or the arm for shortstop. He has it all. He makes plays other shortstops can't make. He has been an average SS in his career but perception of those concentration lapses dominate the Castro media cycle.

There is absolutely no reason the Cubs trade Castro unless they are blown away by an offer. All the talk about their shortstop prospects is silly considering Russell is the only one who can shift Castro off of shortstop. Alantara is a 2B/CF going forward and Baez will be playing 2B/3B/OF when he is called up next year. Russell likely doesn't see Wrigley until late 2015/2016. Even if all the prospects work out, there is a spot for everybody in the short term. And we all know that some of these prospects won't work out.
I could see Russell coming up earlier than that if they deal Castro. The great thing about him is that even if he puts up Darwin Barney numbers on offense, he's still (probably) an immediate upgrade at defense, at a position where you'd really rather have the glove than the bat.

Shut your whore mouth

Wrigley said:
Annyong said:
Wrigley said:
Annyong said:
I heard that Stanton stuff this morning. Basically some scout said the Cubs wouldnt do it.
Scouts, don't make these kinds of decisions
Obviously, but they are more informed than we are
The Cubs wouldn't trade Casto for Stanton?

I'm thinking the scout in question is not that much more informed than we are.
Something about Castro being on a team friendly deal for 5-6 more years and Stanton under control for 1-2 more and obviously going to demand a huge contract.

I'd still do it though

Trading for Stanton doesn't seem like something the Cubs should be interested in doing. It would take a lot more than Castro to land him.

Four hits for Arismendy, including a triple. Hope like hell he makes it hard for the Cubs to send him down.
He's not getting sent down until the 22nd for sure.

Per Carrie Muskat:

#Cubs decide to keep Alcantara for now and Hendricks optioned to Iowa

Cubs won't need Hendricks because of the all star game.

Four hits for Arismendy, including a triple. Hope like hell he makes it hard for the Cubs to send him down.
He's not getting sent down until the 22nd for sure.

Per Carrie Muskat:

#Cubs decide to keep Alcantara for now and Hendricks optioned to Iowa

Cubs won't need Hendricks because of the all star game.
It will be interesting to see if he stays at 2B or gets some CF time. He looked like he belonged.

Question:

Friend of mine is getting offers for Jake Arrieta. He's not sure if Arrieta is for real or if he should sell while the getting is good.

What's the consensus on him? For real or fluke?

Edit: Dynasty league

Question:

Friend of mine is getting offers for Jake Arrieta. He's not sure if Arrieta is for real or if he should sell while the getting is good.

:HOMEREYES: I think he's for real. He's now allowed to throw his curve/slider/cutter thing that Baltimore wouldnt allow. Cubs pitching coach Bosio has worked wonders with more than just him.

Question:

For real. The command and velocity are legit.

All I would worry about with Arrieta is the increase use of that nasty slider and its affect on the health of his elbow. Otherwise, legit.

Posting this in the Rays and Cubs threads as I'm a fan of both teams:

The Tampa Bay Rays pitcher spoke hypothetically about his future at an All-Star Game press conference on Monday and said he believes no championship celebration would be sweeter than one experienced by the Cubs and their long-suffering fans, who have waited 106 years.

Price is not sure where he’ll wind up if he’s traded in the next few months or when he becomes a free agent in 2016, but the 2012 American League Cy Young winner sees how the Cubs have stockpiled top prospects after the trade of Jeff Samardzija and finds their future full of intrigue.

“Winning absolutely is something you want to do," Price told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Being a part of something special is also something you want to do. You can take that to a first-place team. You could take that all the way to a last-place team like the Cubs. With the talent they have coming up they could be a very special team in a few years as well. That would probably be the coolest city to win a championship in. They haven't done it in I'm not sure how long. To do that there that would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now."
The Cubs need an ace and actually having one who wants to be in Chicago would be fantastic. The Rays are clearly asking for the moon for David Price's services. The Cubs have the best farm system in baseball and their plethora of infield prospects has already been discussed in trade speculation. They would have enough to meet Tampa's demands for Price without blowing up the entire farm system.

Maybe the Rays really do want to make one more run at it with Price in an AL East that looks extremely weak and would trade him after this season to Chicago?

Trade (Russell and CJ Edwards?) for Price, sign a free agent like Scherzer or Lester, bring up the future, and the Cubs are instant contenders in 2015.

Alcantara is staying up for good. Soler has been promoted to AAA and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him in September since he is already on the 40 man. Almora has been promoted to AA since he has been on fire for over a month now (after a terrible start).

At this point they are all still prospects. But at least we will be watching with some interest at a ton of young talent by next summer. All that is holding Baez and Bryant back until then is how the Cubs handle the extra year and super 2 status.

By the end of next year the Cubs should be sinking or swimming with Castillo (28), Rizzo (26) and Castro (25) being the veterans in the lineup.

C - Castillo

1B - Rizzo

2B - Baez

3B - Russell

SS - Castro

LF - Soler

CF - Alcantara

RF - Bryant

I don't think they will all succeed at this level but they will be in the majors figuring it out together soon. And I don't see Castro moving off of SS until 2017 if Russell ever does push him to 3B.

It's always fun to salivate over the potential lineup options. I even think I've done it in this thread. I'm trying not to get too excited.

Remember when the Royals had "too many good position prospects?"

It's always fun to salivate over the potential lineup options. I even think I've done it in this thread. I'm trying not to get too excited.

Remember when the Royals had "too many good position prospects?"
I am not really salivating. The lineup will likely be the Cubs reality next September barring injury. By next spring Baez and Bryant will have no reason to be in the minors aside from saving future dollars. Soler and Russell will be in AAA for 400+ PA's by Sept 1 next year if they aren't already at Wrigley.

Certainly most of these hitters will struggle when called up and some of them may never make the adjustments to be average starters. Any Cubs fan assuming the offense will improve with the youngsters could be in for a rude awakening.

The exciting aspect is finally being able to watch all of these elite prospects in Wrigley after the lack of draw lately. Hopefully they have enough talent to add another all-star or two to Castro and Rizzo and develop into a solid offense in the future.

I think Bryant will hit right away. Baez I could see struggling, mostly because he HAS struggled. He's the one I worry most about. Soler I have no idea.

Going to Wrigley in two weeks. How long is the train ride from Midway to Wrigley? Anything else I need to know? I'm staying fairly close to Wrigley I know, not sure where. Got the Wrigley Field tour with my tickets, any pregame rituals I need to know about? They are playing the Rays, should be a chill crowd no?

Got infield seats just beyond the Cubs dugout, 9th row. :excited:

Probably about 45 minutes on the L

Orange line to Roosevelt

Change to red line and take it north to Addison.

Wrigley's right there.

Pregame, just bar hop up and down Clark St

Will probably fly under the radar in the greater scheme of things, but really nice start by Wada yesterday. He throws strikes and works fast. Went deep into the game when the Cubs really needed to give the bullpen a rest. Didn't seem rattled when he was in trouble. Could see him becoming a reliable back end starter for a while.

Going to Wrigley in two weeks. How long is the train ride from Midway to Wrigley? Anything else I need to know? I'm staying fairly close to Wrigley I know, not sure where. Got the Wrigley Field tour with my tickets, any pregame rituals I need to know about? They are playing the Rays, should be a chill crowd no?

Got infield seats just beyond the Cubs dugout, 9th row. :excited:
Follow what Limpy said(he's a ex-cub fan)

Have fun.......wear something that sticks out so we can look for you on the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread