What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (3 Viewers)

The Cubs have a chance to take a series versus a division rival IN St. Louis with no David Freese and our new skipper puts out THIS line-up.......

Reed Johnson

Blake DeWitt

Stalin Castro

Jeff Baker

Ian Stewart

Joe Mather

Geovany Soto

Marlon Byrd

Paul Maholm

No Darwin Barney, David DeJesus, Alfonso Soriano, and Brian LaHair (has a grand slam in the series). These guys are probably your best everyday hitters outside of Castro and Stewart. As lame as that sounds.

Want to shake things up? Why not put in Clevenger who's been tearing it up offensively (hitting .667) and bats left-handed?

Good call Sveum. :thumbup:

WTF

Last edited by a moderator:
LaHair with oppo power to tie the game in the 9th off of Scrabble. As devoid as this team is of power, I don't see how LaHair shouldn't be starting everyday. And it is always nice for the umps to blow two huge calls in your favor. At least the last two days have been fun to watch.

LaHair with oppo power to tie the game in the 9th off of Scrabble. As devoid as this team is of power, I don't see how LaHair shouldn't be starting everyday. And it is always nice for the umps to blow two huge calls in your favor. At least the last two days have been fun to watch.
Two huge calls? I'm guessing you mean the play at the plate. Premature safe call, definitely. But it looked to me like DeJesus was about to scramble back and touch the plate when he heard the safe call. I think he would have been in there either way.

Two huge calls? I'm guessing you mean the play at the plate. Premature safe call, definitely. But it looked to me like DeJesus was about to scramble back and touch the plate when he heard the safe call. I think he would have been in there either way.
While it is true that he wasn't tagged, it is highly questionable that DeJesus would have gotten to the plate in time if Molina didn't immediately react to a bad safe call. The slide took DeJesus past the plate and my assumption is that Molina would have been able to react to the no call prior to DeJesus changing direction.

how good is Brett Jackson really? just a 20-20 guy?
Most see a solid CF with 20/20 potential and a ton of walks. His problem is striking out 1/4 of the time in the minors. Some scouts see him as a 240-260 type hitter with a ton of K's. Of course, some see more than 20 HR power as well.

Most see a solid CF with 20/20 potential and a ton of walks. His problem is striking out 1/4 of the time in the minors. Some scouts see him as a 240-260 type hitter with a ton of K's. Of course, some see more than 20 HR power as well.
So he's a typical Cub
Except for the very good walk rate that will ensure a quality OBP no matter his average. That is very unCub like. Some think he has Edmonds potential at the plate although they are in the minority.Even if he isn't that good, a 350+ OBP with 20+ HR from a solid defensive CF is a great piece to have for all but a few teams currently.

So he's a typical Cub
Except for the very good walk rate that will ensure a quality OBP no matter his average. That is very unCub like. Some think he has Edmonds potential at the plate although they are in the minority.Even if he isn't that good, a 350+ OBP with 20+ HR from a solid defensive CF is a great piece to have for all but a few teams currently.
I've been holding Jackson in a dynasty league for two years so I've been following his career with a lot of interest. His strikeout rates have gotten worse as he's advanced through the minors. I don't have any stats to support my position but I think minor league hitters with high walk and strikeout rates tend to get hurt by the transition to major league pitchers with better stuff and command. I'm expecting an outfield equivalent of Danny Espinosa with something like a .240/.325/.420 slash line. If he goes 20/20 or even 15/15, there's some fantasy and real-life value. If he can hold his own against major league lefties, he's better than what the Cubs have now.

So he's a typical Cub
I've been holding Jackson in a dynasty league for two years so I've been following his career with a lot of interest. His strikeout rates have gotten worse as he's advanced through the minors. I don't have any stats to support my position but I think minor league hitters with high walk and strikeout rates tend to get hurt by the transition to major league pitchers with better stuff and command. I'm expecting an outfield equivalent of Danny Espinosa with something like a .240/.325/.420 slash line. If he goes 20/20 or even 15/15, there's some fantasy and real-life value. If he can hold his own against major league lefties, he's better than what the Cubs have now.
I absolutely have those concerns. I can easily see an Espinosa type of slash line as well. I thought of Mike Cameron without the gold glove level defense as a decent comp. If he doesn't hit enough to maintain a league average OBP, he loses a ton of real life value. Add to that the lack of upside in power as seen by most evaluators and that is why he isn't an elite prospect. And just about anything above replacement level is better than what the Cubs are throwing out there 1-8 every day.

So, James Russell just threw 4 pitches down the middle of the plate. All 4 were strikes as clear as day. CB Bucknor called two of them balls. He has been beyond horrible all day. At least be consistent if you are gonna be wrong all night. There is no telling what will be called no matter where the ball is thrown.

LaHair can LaHit. His swing isn't as pretty as some lefties, but it does look effortless. Ball just sails off his bat.

LaHair can LaHit. His swing isn't as pretty as some lefties, but it does look effortless. Ball just sails off his bat.
One of the nicest stories of the year
It really is. And I admit I went into this season telling anyone who'd listen that he'd be pulled for Rizzo come June.
I thought he would hit enough to let the Cubs be as patient as they wanted to be with Rizzo. However, I didn't think they would have to give consideration to LaHair playing LF when Rizzo is judged ready because they will have to keep his bat in the lineup. Like you stated, there is no effort when he peppers the ball of the wall or goes deep. It doesn't look like he gets it all and yet the ball is going over the left center and right center field fence.

'boubucarow said:
It really is. And I admit I went into this season telling anyone who'd listen that he'd be pulled for Rizzo come June.
However, I didn't think they would have to give consideration to LaHair playing LF when Rizzo is judged ready because they will have to keep his bat in the lineup.
is this a thing? Has he ever played OF? How about Rizzo, is he athletic enough to play some OF?

I'll be in Chicago next week for work and may have some time to check out Wrigley (first timer) while I'm there on Monday or Tuesday night. Could you guys point me to where there may have been previous discussion of where to sit and park tips? Or just let me know your suggestions here?

Planning on spending alot of time walking around and checking it out so the seats don't have to be great. Do I need to get seats in a certain area to get better access to all parts of the park though? Club seats, etc?

TIA!

I'll be in Chicago next week for work and may have some time to check out Wrigley (first timer) while I'm there on Monday or Tuesday night. Could you guys point me to where there may have been previous discussion of where to sit and park tips? Or just let me know your suggestions here?

Planning on spending alot of time walking around and checking it out so the seats don't have to be great. Do I need to get seats in a certain area to get better access to all parts of the park though? Club seats, etc?

TIA!
Here's a good guide on seating.You'll be able to get to most parts of the park from wherever you are. I personally like sitting in the bleachers when I'm catching a game with first-timers.

'boubucarow said:
However, I didn't think they would have to give consideration to LaHair playing LF when Rizzo is judged ready because they will have to keep his bat in the lineup.
is this a thing? Has he ever played OF? How about Rizzo, is he athletic enough to play some OF?
Rizzo has never played anywhere but 1B as a professional. LaHair played some OF during his six year AAA sojourn. I think he'd probably try on catcher's gear if it meant staying in the big leagues.

'boubucarow said:
Rizzo has never played anywhere but 1B as a professional. LaHair played some OF during his six year AAA sojourn. I think he'd probably try on catcher's gear if it meant staying in the big leagues.
His short stint in Chicago last year was almost entirely in the OF (107 innings). He wasn't horrible out there. The problem would be that unless an injury strikes, Soriano would have to be benched.

'boubucarow said:
His short stint in Chicago last year was almost entirely in the OF (107 innings). He wasn't horrible out there. The problem would be that unless an injury strikes, Soriano would have to be benched.
#cubsfanproblems

TIA!
Here's a good guide on seating.You'll be able to get to most parts of the park from wherever you are. I personally like sitting in the bleachers when I'm catching a game with first-timers.
That site mentions the two areas that risk obstructed views. I would sit in the bleachers as well unless someone is rowdy adverse (not that it is always that rowdy). The recommended sections at the site are great but as mentioned some 100 level seats can involve a parade of heads in your view if a walkway is between you and the field even more so than the site mentions.

'boubucarow said:
How is that a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread