What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (1 Viewer)

Worse for perceptions/recruiting than production at this point. Maybe he finds himself. I feel like our last couple of WR coaches were pretty rough but I like the new guy. 

I think James Franklin has done a good job considering the circumstance. Who would be the next coach for those who want to replace him?

Remember the lean years earlier in this century. 

I think James Franklin has done a good job considering the circumstance. Who would be the next coach for those who want to replace him?

That was the same response my brother-in-law gave at Thanksgiving. I'll tell you the same thing I told him. I don't follow football closely enough to know who all of the decent coordinators are at the professional and college levels. Where did O'Brien come from?  I'd argue that he was a much better game day coach at Penn State than Franklin.  And that was when nobody wanted the Penn State job. Now it would be a top five job in the country. Penn State could almost have its pick just about anybody.  Franklin will get us 10 wins in a New year's Day bowl every year, but that's it. He won't beat Ohio State 80% of the time and he won't beat Michigan 50% of the time. I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But he'll never be more than what he is. He'll never get Penn State over the hump and into the national championship discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

FTR, the "lean years" were Joe Pa being stuck in his ways.  I had absolutely no problem with BOB; he took chicken scat and made chicken salad out of it.  I'll always respect him for that and realizing that he couldn't be Joe Pa and didn't try to be.  He was the guy to be the one to follow Joe Pa and knew it. He parlayed that into an NFL gig.  Not a bad run, if I do say so.

ClownCausedChaos2 said:
That was the same response my brother-in-law gave at Thanksgiving. I'll tell you the same thing I told him. I don't follow football closely enough to know who all of the decent coordinators are at the professional and college levels. Where did O'Brien come from?  I'd argue that he was a much better game day coach at Penn State than Franklin.  And that was when nobody wanted the Penn State job. Now it would be a top five job in the country. Penn State could almost have its pick just about anybody.  Franklin will get us 10 wins in a New year's Day bowl every year, but that's it. He won't beat Ohio State 80% of the time and he won't beat Michigan 50% of the time. I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But he'll never be more than what he is. He'll never get Penn State over the hump and into the national championship discussion.
This might be your problem. I follow CFB very closely and he’s a top 10 coach. You overrate how many of the coaches that are ahead of him would want to come to the middle of Pennsylvania, recruit against Ohio State and deal with the Sandusky history and Paterno apologists. Very, very few. We’re lucky to have him. 

This might be your problem. I follow CFB very closely and he’s a top 10 coach. You overrate how many of the coaches that are ahead of him would want to come to the middle of Pennsylvania, recruit against Ohio State and deal with the Sandusky history and Paterno apologists. Very, very few. We’re lucky to have him. 
Part of the appeal for Franklin is he went to Stroudsburg to school, so he knows the area.

The fanatical Joe Pa apologists are almost cult-like IMO.  I'll always love Joe Pa as a coach and formulator of young men to prepare them for life after football, but I recognize that he didn't deal with Sandusky all that well. A younger man would've been more socially aware and perhaps been able to nip this in the bud.  However, it is what it is.  

That said, I think PSU suffers a similar distinction with Notre Dame in that we haven't been truly national powerhouses in many years.  When I was considering colleges in the early 80s, PSU was a popular choice. (In fact, my dad wasn't happy with two of my college finalists being PSU and Pitt because I wasn't picking a school based on the football team. :lmao:  )  Can we be regular NY6 game contenders with a B1G championship every 4-5 years?  I think so and I don't consider it an unreasonable goal.

I don't mind Franklin that much. He definitely deals with the hardest part of College football (recruiting) very well. We've had tons of talent the last 5 years here. He's also good at smashing the easy teams. Something largely taken for granted previously. 

We can only hope that he will learn from his mistakes and grow to win those big games. He beat OSU once on a fluke play but had them dead to rights 2 more times before giving it away. We're competitive and we're always in the playoff mix. Just have to hope Franklin figures it out because I don't see anyone else coming in here doing as good a job as he's done on all the aspects so far.

Agree to disagree.   :thumbup:

I still think the allure and history of Penn State could draw the best and hottest head coaching candidates from anywhere.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like the Sandusky history wouldn't deter anyone from taking the job anymore.  It will forever be associated with Penn State, no doubt, but I don't think it drives players or coaches away anymore.

I still pull for Franklin, because I root for Penn State.  And maybe they're a year away.  We'll see.  I just don't have faith in him that he'll ever move us from a top 10 to a top 4 team.

Beat Rutgers!

I still think the allure and history of Penn State could draw the best and hottest head coaching candidates from anywhere.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like the Sandusky history wouldn't deter anyone from taking the job anymore.  It will forever be associated with Penn State, no doubt, but I don't think it drives players or coaches away anymore.

I still pull for Franklin, because I root for Penn State.  And maybe they're a year away.  We'll see.  I just don't have faith in him that he'll ever move us from a top 10 to a top 4 team.

Beat Rutgers!
Wow is this team flat.  If Franklin stays, new coordinators are a necessary.   The O is painful to watch.   Maybe the team will wake up in the second quarter.  

Beat Rutgers!
Ask Texas, FSU, Nebraska, Miami, USC and other past powerhouses if they would welcome Franklin.  We need to be patient, supportive and most of all realistic.  

Ask Texas, FSU, Nebraska, Miami, USC and other past powerhouses if they would welcome Franklin.  We need to be patient, supportive and most of all realistic.  
I'm definitely supportive of the team.  And as far as patience, he's been here 6 years.  He's not coaching another coach's recruits anymore or working with another coach's staff.  What are we being patient for?  Not being argumentative, I'm just curious as to what you mean.

Each year is a new team with different players and expectations. This year's team, which is very young, overachieved in many my eyes and many others. Once they were undefeated going into the final four games, fans got excited and focused on making the playoffs. I saw a good young team with room to improve and never saw them as a playoff team.  I am being patient for the 2020 PSU team. 

Each year is a new team with different players and expectations. This year's team, which is very young, overachieved in many my eyes and many others. Once they were undefeated going into the final four games, fans got excited and focused on making the playoffs. I saw a good young team with room to improve and never saw them as a playoff team.  I am being patient for the 2020 PSU team. 
Gotcha.  Thanks.  And I completely agree with you that this team will be better next year.

For me, I see a team that seems unprepared and unmotivated in every game this year.  In this year and in past years, the team seems to get worse as the season goes on and always lose one game that they shouldn't lose.  In Franklin's time, PSU is 5-13 against OSU, UM, and MSU.  10 wins seasons and Rose Bowl trips are nice, but I think that's the peak of what Franklin brings.

But, this class will have what? 41 or 42 wins?  Hard to argue with that level of success.  I think recruiting talent gets you 10 wins a year in the Big Ten.  But being able to prepare and coach gets you the one or two needed to push you to the top.  Personally, I don't think he has what it takes to do that.  I hope I'm wrong.

I see a nice running game in 2020 but the passing game looks rough.   The OC leaves a lot to be desired.   The talent at QB and WR isn't at the same level as better Big 10 teams.   

Hello,

Buckeye homer here with a question for you all. Will you root for the Buckeyes during the playoffs (assuming we get in) because of Big10 conference loyalties or will you root for someone else?

I ask, primarily because I am curious how much disdain Penn State fans have against OSU. I for one, if our roles were reversed, would root for Penn State because it’s our conference, it makes a loss to you look better for us, etc etc. 

But, I could not and would not root for Michigan no matter what. I always want them to lose no matter who they are playing (unless it was the Taliban). I know it’s not rational, and their loss may make my team look even worse but I still want them to lose every time! 

Even though Penn State has been more of a rival than Michigan lately, I don’t dislike you all like I do them. I feel like I can be more rational with Penn State and the rest of the Big10. In fact, I will root for all Big10 teams in their bowl games, accept Michigan.

Does the typical Penn State fan hate the Buckeyes no matter what? Want us to lose no matter what? If not the Buckeyes, is there a team that you wish they would always lose, no matter what? 

Thanks for any input! I’ll be cheering you on in your bowl game! 

Hello,

Buckeye homer here with a question for you all. Will you root for the Buckeyes during the playoffs (assuming we get in) because of Big10 conference loyalties or will you root for someone else?

I ask, primarily because I am curious how much disdain Penn State fans have against OSU. I for one, if our roles were reversed, would root for Penn State because it’s our conference, it makes a loss to you look better for us, etc etc. 

But, I could not and would not root for Michigan no matter what. I always want them to lose no matter who they are playing (unless it was the Taliban). I know it’s not rational, and their loss may make my team look even worse but I still want them to lose every time! 

Even though Penn State has been more of a rival than Michigan lately, I don’t dislike you all like I do them. I feel like I can be more rational with Penn State and the rest of the Big10. In fact, I will root for all Big10 teams in their bowl games, accept Michigan.

Does the typical Penn State fan hate the Buckeyes no matter what? Want us to lose no matter what? If not the Buckeyes, is there a team that you wish they would always lose, no matter what? 

No.  Good luck and all that, but no.

Hello,

Only if they were playing Notre Dame who I hate. I don't buy into all that root for your rival thing. I'm a Yankees fan and will never root for the Red Sox, Dolphins fan and will never root for the Patriots. If Chase Young ends up on the Dolphins then I will root for him.

I will say I don't dislike OSU as much with this coach. I felt Meyer was a weasel who faked his way out of Florida when he saw it was caving in so he could get inline for the OSU job. No respect for him.

Only if they were playing Notre Dame who I hate. I don't buy into all that root for your rival thing. I'm a Yankees fan and will never root for the Red Sox, Dolphins fan and will never root for the Patriots. If Chase Young ends up on the Dolphins then I will root for him.

I will say I don't dislike OSU as much with this coach. I felt Meyer was a weasel who faked his way out of Florida when he saw it was caving in so he could get inline for the OSU job. No respect for him.
God I hate Notre Dame.

Hello,

I will absolutely be rooting for OSU.  Sure, I don't like OSU, but I hate the SEC a lot worse.  And ND.  And any other conference for that matter.  I just can't stand how the sports media always gushes over the SEC.  Oh, they are so much faster, have so much more talent, the B10 looks slow in comparison.  Every year I root for every B10 team to win their bowl game.  I am definitely a PSU first priority, every B10 team next to win their bowl game. 

I think it brings prominence to the conference and will only attract talent which will help all the teams in the conference.  I hope OSU especially beats any SEC team they face and I would absolutely be happy if they won the national championship.  So thank you for cheering for PSU in whatever bowl game we end up in, and I will be returning the cheers to you as well.

CFB isn't really apples to apples with pro sports.  I can maybe see not being able to root for the team that's literally in your way every year, it would be hard for me too.  But a fan from say Illinois...I see no reason why they wouldn't root for conference above else.  I believe the conference schools all benefit financially, which may not matter to a fan, but I also agree with @Jutz points about prominence and recruiting.  I can think of no obvious benefits for NYY if Boston wins a WS.  Maybe something exists there though.

I think this is the right perspective for this year and I agree.

In regards to the coaching situation, I have and still remain a supporter of Franklin.  I think he does the most important thing a HC needs to do extremely well, recruit.  On the other hand, I am so NOT a supporter of Ricky Rahne.  I agree with Doc Holiday when he said "the running game looks good for 2020 but the passing game looks rough.  The OC leaves a lot to be desired.   The talent at QB and WR isn't at the same level as better Big 10 teams".  PSU is just not quite there especially when it comes to the passing game. 

Joe Morehead was a HC at a smaller school before taking over as OC at PSU.  He was in charge.  He was innovative.  Ricky Rahne is a guy that has followed Franklin during his career working his way up and was finally given a shot at OC after 'studying' under Joe Morehead.  I feel like the OC position at PSU is beyond someone 'learning on the job' and I feel like that is what Rahne is doing every week.  I believe he was QB coach and TE coach before taking over as OC?  That may have been too big a jump.  I feel like he would be better suited to assistant HC and have an OC with experience in that role at the helm for the offense.

And in regards to Brent Pry.  He has received a lot of praise over the years, and has been mentioned as a candidate to get HC jobs.  After seeing our defense this year, I have had some serious doubts about his philosophy.  The PSU defense was supposed to be great this year, but from the second half of the Michigan game through the remainder of the year they got EXPOSED big time.  I feel better about him than I do Rahne, but if he ended up getting a HC position somewhere else I would be OK with it.

Franklin is great at recruiting players.  I would like to see him do the same with recruiting coordinators.  I thought he did an excellent job with that when he found Morehead, and wouldn't mind seeing him do it again.  Just to feed into ClowCausedChaos2's desires to find a new HC, I would say that there is 1 coach out there I wouldn't mind seeing as HC at PSU and that is Matt Rhule.  He beat PSU as HC at Temple and has done a pretty amazing job at Baylor.  He also played for PSU.  As a linebacker.  At linebacker U.  Under JoePa.  Difficult to get better credentials.

The fanatical Joe Pa apologists are almost cult-like IMO.  I'll always love Joe Pa as a coach and formulator of young men to prepare them for life after football, but I recognize that he didn't deal with Sandusky all that well. A younger man would've been more socially aware and perhaps been able to nip this in the bud.  However, it is what it is.
You know, I read this statement and I wonder if you have heard what Malcom Gladwell has talked about in regards to his book Talking To Strangers?  Gladwell was being interviewed on The Bill Simmons Podcast and here were some of his quotes.

from the article 'Totall, Outrageously Attacked': Malcom Gladwell Defends Joe Paterno, Penn State

The leadership at Penn State was totally, outrageously attacked over this. I think they’re blameless.  Joe Paterno essentially did nothing wrong.
Why was 75-year-old football coach not behaving toward a prospective pedophile with the savvy and insight of a psychiatrist?  He’s been thinking football 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for 60 years. He is not going to be alert to the darkness inside the heart of one of his former coaches. You can’t ask him to do that.  That’s why you have mental health professionals and psychologists. We do this during crises: We expect our leaders to be skilled at absolutely every job under the sun.
Perhaps  you will see my avatar, look at these quotes, and lump me into the cult-like apologists?  I hope you don't but I could understand if you would.  I just happen to agree with Malcom Gladwell.  In all honesty, I feel like JoePa was coach for way too long.  I loved him as a coach, but the program should have moved on much earlier. 

CFB isn't really apples to apples with pro sports.  I can maybe see not being able to root for the team that's literally in your way every year, it would be hard for me too.  But a fan from say Illinois...I see no reason why they wouldn't root for conference above else.  I believe the conference schools all benefit financially, which may not matter to a fan, but I also agree with @Jutz points about prominence and recruiting.  I can think of no obvious benefits for NYY if Boston wins a WS.  Maybe something exists there though.
I never understood the "root for your conference" argument, though you do make good points.  However, as a fan of Minnesota, who will never be an elite program, the betterment of the conference doesn't help me out.  All I can hope for is that one magical season where everyone else is down, and we strike lighting.  Everyone getting constantly better won't help that and reduces individual years of opportunity.

Plus, I find it really strange to actively root against a school or team all year round (multiple sports) but then on the day of the most important games of the football season, pull for them.  For a fan who gets emotionally attached to the teams and games, that's not really possible.

When the bowls happen, if "my" teams aren't in it, I find players or coaches I can root for and pull for them.  Those players and coaches are never (rarely I guess with players) found within the conference.

I root for Penn State and Ohio State. 

Born in Ohio and lived here all my life.  Parents were born and raised  in Penn State country. Growing up we visited there many times per year and I had Penn State ingrained into me at an early age. Was really a Penn State fan before Ohio State. I remember some of the Woody Hayes days in Columbus and the rivalry with Michigan that seems to have always been. And I remember Franco Harris and John Cappelletti at Penn State and the yearly rivalry game against Pitt. 

Thanks for the responses. Merry Christmas and good luck in your bowl game. I’ll be rooting for the Buckeyes, Penn State and the rest of the Big10 and whoever is playing Michigan! 

I never understood the "root for your conference" argument, though you do make good points.  However, as a fan of Minnesota, who will never be an elite program, the betterment of the conference doesn't help me out.  All I can hope for is that one magical season where everyone else is down, and we strike lighting.  Everyone getting constantly better won't help that and reduces individual years of opportunity.
I totally agree.  I really do not care about how the conference does. It may help the reputation of the Big 10 if Ohio State wins but not sure it helps other teams in the Big 10 compete and recruit against them. The "root for your conference" never made sense to me either.  

Jutz said:
You know, I read this statement and I wonder if you have heard what Malcom Gladwell has talked about in regards to his book Talking To Strangers?  Gladwell was being interviewed on The Bill Simmons Podcast and here were some of his quotes.

from the article 'Totall, Outrageously Attacked': Malcom Gladwell Defends Joe Paterno, Penn State

Perhaps  you will see my avatar, look at these quotes, and lump me into the cult-like apologists?  I hope you don't but I could understand if you would.  I just happen to agree with Malcom Gladwell.  In all honesty, I feel like JoePa was coach for way too long.  I loved him as a coach, but the program should have moved on much earlier. 
Actually, if you could see my work desk, I have a Joe Pa coffee mug (it holds pens because if you put coffee in it, you can't hold it because of the weight) and a 409 magnet.  And, FTR, I'm not talking about you.  Most people have a reasoned opinion on the matter. While I will save the article to read later, I would say based on the pull quotes that he has a great point. IMO, if something like that happened to a younger coach, he'd be consulting with the school to get a message out.  Joe Pa got run over in the media scrum; he thought his old guy charm was going to be an asset in that situation and it was used against him.

I cried more when he died that I have for any relative.  No shtick; all fact.  That's how much I missed him not only as a coach, but as a mentor.

I think this is the right perspective for this year and I agree.

In regards to the coaching situation, I have and still remain a supporter of Franklin.  I think he does the most important thing a HC needs to do extremely well, recruit.  On the other hand, I am so NOT a supporter of Ricky Rahne.  I agree with Doc Holiday when he said "the running game looks good for 2020 but the passing game looks rough.  The OC leaves a lot to be desired.   The talent at QB and WR isn't at the same level as better Big 10 teams".  PSU is just not quite there especially when it comes to the passing game. 

Joe Morehead was a HC at a smaller school before taking over as OC at PSU.  He was in charge.  He was innovative.  Ricky Rahne is a guy that has followed Franklin during his career working his way up and was finally given a shot at OC after 'studying' under Joe Morehead.  I feel like the OC position at PSU is beyond someone 'learning on the job' and I feel like that is what Rahne is doing every week.  I believe he was QB coach and TE coach before taking over as OC?  That may have been too big a jump.  I feel like he would be better suited to assistant HC and have an OC with experience in that role at the helm for the offense.

And in regards to Brent Pry.  He has received a lot of praise over the years, and has been mentioned as a candidate to get HC jobs.  After seeing our defense this year, I have had some serious doubts about his philosophy.  The PSU defense was supposed to be great this year, but from the second half of the Michigan game through the remainder of the year they got EXPOSED big time.  I feel better about him than I do Rahne, but if he ended up getting a HC position somewhere else I would be OK with it.

Franklin is great at recruiting players.  I would like to see him do the same with recruiting coordinators.  I thought he did an excellent job with that when he found Morehead, and wouldn't mind seeing him do it again.  Just to feed into ClowCausedChaos2's desires to find a new HC, I would say that there is 1 coach out there I wouldn't mind seeing as HC at PSU and that is Matt Rhule.  He beat PSU as HC at Temple and has done a pretty amazing job at Baylor.  He also played for PSU.  As a linebacker.  At linebacker U.  Under JoePa.  Difficult to get better credentials.
Also under Jerry Sandusky. Not a disqualification but certainly not ideal. I know many people who are less “negative” toward Penn State because we got rid of everyone that was here when Sandusky was. 

Jutz said:
I will absolutely be rooting for OSU.  Sure, I don't like OSU, but I hate the SEC a lot worse.  And ND.  And any other conference for that matter.  I just can't stand how the sports media always gushes over the SEC.  Oh, they are so much faster, have so much more talent, the B10 looks slow in comparison.  Every year I root for every B10 team to win their bowl game.  I am definitely a PSU first priority, every B10 team next to win their bowl game. 

I think it brings prominence to the conference and will only attract talent which will help all the teams in the conference.  I hope OSU especially beats any SEC team they face and I would absolutely be happy if they won the national championship.  So thank you for cheering for PSU in whatever bowl game we end up in, and I will be returning the cheers to you as well.
This is me as well.   I was born and raised in PA but have lived on OH for the last 15 years.   I will always be a fan of PSU but like OSU and will root for them to win the national championship.   

ConstruxBoy said:
Also under Jerry Sandusky. Not a disqualification but certainly not ideal. I know many people who are less “negative” toward Penn State because we got rid of everyone that was here when Sandusky was. 
I honestly don't see why the act of playing for Sandusky should have any bearing on him.  He was a player.  It's not like he had any choice in the entire situation at that time - and most likely had no clue at all.  That would be like refusing to hire a guy who too an entry-level financial analyst job in one of Jeffrey Epstein's companies back in the day.

I honestly don't see why the act of playing for Sandusky should have any bearing on him.  He was a player.  It's not like he had any choice in the entire situation at that time - and most likely had no clue at all.  That would be like refusing to hire a guy who too an entry-level financial analyst job in one of Jeffrey Epstein's companies back in the day.
I’m not arguing that it should have a bearing. I’m arguing that a lot of mouth breathing college football fans would make it relevant and make things more difficult for him and Penn State fans. It doesn’t have to be logical. I like him but hope he never needs to become our coach. 

It would be more like that entry level financial analyst having moved up the ranks and be given the job of trustee for Epstein's estate (or something to that effect).  It probably doesn't have any bearing in reality, but the optics are bad.

Rhule absolutely should be able to get a job coaching.  The optics just aren't great for him getting a job at PSU.

That Minnesota loss really looms large. I think a one loss PSU when their only loss is OSU had a shot at the playoff. 

Users who are viewing this thread