What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (1 Viewer)

Tin Cup said:
So Baby Gronk, Menet, and Fries back so far.  YGM to the pros.  Wade, Toney, and KJ still pending.  My guess is Wade returns but the other two declare for the draft.

Chatter that Rahne in running for ODU HC.

Interesting postseason so far, 7 days in.
Hope Rahne goes.   

Yeah feel for you guys.  They call the Cotton Bowl a New Years 6 and it's on the 28th against a non power 5.  PSU has nothing to gain really from beating them but a lot to lose.  As a Badger fan I would've preferred the Citrus or Outback bowl to the Cotton for sure.  Already did that a couple of years ago against Fleck didn't want to see that again.

I don't usually get into the bowl placement politics because anything outside of the playoff is meaningless. However, were playing in the Cotton bowl on ESPN while the Camping World Bowl shows on ABC with Notre Dame and an unranked Iowa St. Talking about being irrelevant. 

You know, I read this statement and I wonder if you have heard what Malcom Gladwell has talked about in regards to his book Talking To Strangers?  Gladwell was being interviewed on The Bill Simmons Podcast and here were some of his quotes.

from the article 'Totall, Outrageously Attacked': Malcom Gladwell Defends Joe Paterno, Penn State

Perhaps  you will see my avatar, look at these quotes, and lump me into the cult-like apologists?  I hope you don't but I could understand if you would.  I just happen to agree with Malcom Gladwell.  In all honesty, I feel like JoePa was coach for way too long.  I loved him as a coach, but the program should have moved on much earlier. 
I like Gladwell and I always liked Joe Paterno - I think Gladwell is 100% wrong on this.  I’ll just leave it at that.

RUSF18 said:
Who are you guys targeting?
The ultimate dream candidate would be Joe Brady, LSU WR coach and passing game coordinator.  He is young, he was a graduate assistant on Penn State's staff with Franklin in 2015-2016, and he is given a lot of the credit for LSU's success on offense this year.  OC would be a promotion for him.  Most believe LSU is going open the wallet to keep him on staff.  This will be Franklin's biggest recruiting test to date.  I think the lure of getting to call your own plays would be one of the biggest factors in luring a candidate like this.

Penn State Offensive Coordinator Big Board

There are other candidates out there.  One being the OC for Minnesota that torched PSU this year.  He has family ties to central PA.  One candidate that is not mentioned in the linked article is Andrew Breiner, passing game coordinator and QB coach for Mississippi St.  He took over for Joe Moorhead at Fordham for 2 years after Moorhead left, then Joe brough him to Mississippi St.  It would be a promotion for him as well and he has ties to a coordinator that PSU fans really liked.

Minnesota’s OC is now our OC.

ETA: He’s leaving before their bowl game. 
Was just making my way to this thread to post the same thing.  I think it is a good hire.  So the article I read says that several other programs have been after this guy over the years.  I have to believe that it is family bringing him to PSU.  He is from Lewisberry, PA and played at Juniata.  I don't know exactly how, but somehow my wife has come across family members of his at her work.  

I'm glad we are getting someone with experience at OC and my goodness, I don't think there could be a better resume builder than the game he called against PSU this year.  If he came in and explained his game plan to Brent Pry it would probably make our defense better.  I'm glad we have a guy from PA too.  I didn't know he was leaving before the bowl game.  I'm looking forward to it.

REPORT:  Kirk Ciarrocca To Become Penn State's Offensive Coordinator

Last edited by a moderator:
Journey Brown making the Memphis D his...um, well, you know.

If only our D would keep their O in check.  <_<

That #11 on defense is fun to watch.
He was the #1 recruit in the country two years ago.  He's from Harrisburg, about 2 hours outside of State College. He narrowed his choices down to PSU and Ohio State.  He was leaning towards OSU, but they violated a recruiting rule.  (Going from memory here) I think they gave him an extra visit or called him too many times?  Whatever happened, OSU was told that they were not allowed to contact him anymore.  So OSU's contact with him went cold.  He ended up at PSU.

Parsons has a shot at being number one overall pick in 2021. He is still learning the position. I expect a big jump from him next year and he is already elite. I think they also break and let him return some kick to try for a Heisman.

Hamler entering the draft.
I think these two combined developments, along with the new OC, can really help Clifford evolve as a quarterback.

The new OC has a record of relying less on planned quarterback run plays...which hopefully means more actual carries for our RBs...which should better set up the passing game...hopefully the new OL coach can improve pass protection while the new OC builds confidence in Clifford to stay in the pocket vs. getting “happy feet”...and without his BFF Hamler to lock in on, maybe It will force Clifford to see more of the field and use  the other half  of the field he mostly ignored this year.

As good as Hamler was, he represents only 56 receptions to replace.  In 2017 (last year of Moorhead), the offense supported 4 receivers with 50+ catches.  In two years of Rahne, only one combined.

I wonder if Hamler would have stayed if Rahne stayed.  I can see a situation where a kid might be on the fence and rather than getting to know a new coach, he just decided to move on.

I'm sort of surprised he left.  I think his draft stock could have improved with another year.  All the best to him.  He played his guts out.  Always seemed fearless.

He was the #1 recruit in the country two years ago.  He's from Harrisburg, about 2 hours outside of State College. He narrowed his choices down to PSU and Ohio State.  He was leaning towards OSU, but they violated a recruiting rule.  (Going from memory here) I think they gave him an extra visit or called him too many times?  Whatever happened, OSU was told that they were not allowed to contact him anymore.  So OSU's contact with him went cold.  He ended up at PSU.
It had something to do with improper interactions with Kirk Herbstreit on Gameday if I recall correctly.  

I think these two combined developments, along with the new OC, can really help Clifford evolve as a quarterback.

The new OC has a record of relying less on planned quarterback run plays...which hopefully means more actual carries for our RBs...which should better set up the passing game...hopefully the new OL coach can improve pass protection while the new OC builds confidence in Clifford to stay in the pocket vs. getting “happy feet”...and without his BFF Hamler to lock in on, maybe It will force Clifford to see more of the field and use  the other half  of the field he mostly ignored this year.

As good as Hamler was, he represents only 56 receptions to replace.  In 2017 (last year of Moorhead), the offense supported 4 receivers with 50+ catches.  In two years of Rahne, only one combined.
I am so with you on this.  Excellent post.  A few points you made that I really like...  I completely agree about the new OC relying less on planned QB runs.  He appears to run an offense that is more traditional in the sense that RB's run and QB's throw.  A QB with great athleticism that can extend plays and take the run when it is open is great, but I prefer to keep the QB out of mix when running up the middle in traffic.  I honestly think Clifford got banged up taking some punishing hits while running up the gut and I would really prefer to see him become a better passer.

Another thing you mentioned is how Hamler appears to be Clifford's BFF and Clifford is always locked in on him.  I get it.  Clifford and Hamler played together at camps.  Hamler encouraged Clifford to go to PSU.  They are friends.  Yay!  But my goodness sometimes it seemed as if KJ was the only WR on the field.  I am definitely hoping the new OC can teach Clifford to make the right read as opposed to locking in on a playmaker.  It was frustrating at times this year.  It seemed like when the game was on the line, and PSU was playing from behind that Clifford had tunnel vision toward Hamler.  Your comment regarding seeing the other half of the filed that Clifford mostly ignored is perfect.  I am hoping for the same thing.

Lastly, also a good point about a potential OL coach helping with pass pro.  I was kind of scratching my head wondering why they let him go thinking that the OL improved a lot over the years and the run game was the highlight of the offense.  But now that you mention it, yeah the pass pro was terrible.  That would be great to see that improve.

I keep thinking that Clifford was a 4 star QB prospect.  I think he can do more.  I feel like Morehead didn't have a big, strong arm QB with McSorley so he used him in the way that Trace was most effective.  I feel like Rahne just plugged and played the same offense that Morehead used despite the fact that he had a very different QB.  We kind of saw Clifford attempting to be McSorley this year and they are just not the same QB at all.

Users who are viewing this thread