What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rex Burkhead RB - HOU (1 Viewer)

mcintyre1

Footballguy
Being one of our resident Nebraska fans, I've taken it upon myself to throw together a video of Rex Burkhead's carries against arguably the 4 best teams Nebraska has played this year: Washington, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State.

In just those 4 games, Burkhead carried the ball 101 times for 465 yards and 6 TDs on the ground, with 7 catches for 95 yards and 2 TDs.

Burkhead (aka Superman, aka Sexy Rexy) is, without a doubt, a throwback to a different time. He's the type of runner whose legs never stop churning. He does most of his damage between the tackles. He has an excellent nose for the goalline, and is the perfect back for running out the clock with a lead. He's extremely versatile, excelling as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield, as well as being the primary blocking back in passing situations (admittedly, a rarity at Nebraska). Bonus: He can run the Wildcat extremely well. He is excellent at reading the defense at the mesh point, and he has the arm to accurately complete passes out to 30 yards, having started his high school career at QB at Plano High School in Texas. I'm betting he turns in a 40 yard time in the 4.55 range, while putting up excellent numbers in the agility drills at the combine. I'd also anticipate a vertical in the 38-40" range with 20+ reps on the bench. He's regularly referred to as the best all-around lifter at Nebraska, and is considered by the strength coach and most on the team to be the quickest player they have, which really shows in his cuts on tape. He does have the "white running back" stigma to fight, but with Woodhead, Gerhart, and Hillis in the league already, that has been diminished somewhat.

I'll take some credit as being one of the first Helu advocates on this board (though I did try to temper expectations once he became a trendy sleeper pick), and I have to say, I think that Burkhead will be a better NFL back. He's likely to be a guy that you can target later in your rookie draft, as I don't anticipate him being a high NFL draft pick, so keep him on your radar in the coming year.

But seriously, I like seeing all his plays, not just the highlights. And he does look good on the stripe. But, he looks a little thin in the legs. And he doesn't seem too explosive.

Not very impressed. He's not a high end prospect, maybe a late round pick. Good vision and finishes off runs. Not quick enough and if he's a grinder, needs to get bigger.

First of all, this guy is a junior so he's more of a 2013 prospect as I seriously doubt he comes out early. One of the great things about him is the character. He does all of the thing right on & off the field. Someone with his work ethic will earn a spot on a NFL team. He also has a lot of punt return experience and will play all the specials. I don't think he'll ever be a feature back, but he is definitely a guy that can play 3rd Downs, short yardage, kill the clock and all the specials maybe even some FB if they asked him too. He will easily make a NFL roster, but his combine will likely dictate how high he gets drafted.

The issue he could run into is how much will Green, Heard and Abdullah eat into his carries next season. All 3 of those kids look like game breakers especially Abdullah.

Not very impressed. He's not a high end prospect, maybe a late round pick. Good vision and finishes off runs. Not quick enough and if he's a grinder, needs to get bigger.
he's not the type of guy that is going to wow you. Just not his thing, but at the end of the game when the Huskers are running out the clock he destroys it. He just keeps chipping away and falls forward consistently. Obviously a natural progression would be for him to get bigger by 2013 combine with the way he works in the weight room.

But seriously, I like seeing all his plays, not just the highlights. And he does look good on the stripe. But, he looks a little thin in the legs. And he doesn't seem too explosive.
I agree, he looks slow.
I can see that. He doesn't appear to have great speed, but a lot of people thought the same of Roy Helu. Helu then turned in a ~4.4 at the combine. Of course, I think he is a touch slower than that, but he's at least as fast as several RBs already starting in the NFL. Also, I realized late last night that my video editing program dropped all of his carries from the Ohio State game, the 2nd half of which was a stellar performance with several great open field moves. I think I'll re-organize some of these clips in the next day or so. Also keep in mind that these are some of the more talented defenses that he has played all year.

Michigan State was ranked #9 against the run going into the game, they're #14 currently, giving up 2.92 yards per carry and 8 TDs on the year. Burkhead ran for 3.5 ypc on 35 carries (grinding out the clock) and has 2 of those 8 TDs (plus 1 through the air).

Ohio State is ranked #26 against the run giving up 3.47 ypc and 5 TDs on the year. Burkhead got 4.6 on 26 carries with 1 TD (plus 1 through the air).

Washington is ranked #47 w/ 4.4 ypc and 15 TDs. Burkhead 5.5 ypc on 22 carries with 2 TDs.

Wisconsin is #53 w/ 3.7 ypc and 8 TDs. Burkhead 5.3 on 18 w/ 1 TD.

This is also only a 4 game sampling of a 3 year career, if the above intrigues you, there is plenty of additional video available. He was only 200lbs his freshman year, so he might look a bit light in those videos, but he would never be described as "thin" now.

First of all, this guy is a junior so he's more of a 2013 prospect as I seriously doubt he comes out early. One of the great things about him is the character. He does all of the thing right on & off the field. Someone with his work ethic will earn a spot on a NFL team. He also has a lot of punt return experience and will play all the specials. I don't think he'll ever be a feature back, but he is definitely a guy that can play 3rd Downs, short yardage, kill the clock and all the specials maybe even some FB if they asked him too. He will easily make a NFL roster, but his combine will likely dictate how high he gets drafted.

The issue he could run into is how much will Green, Heard and Abdullah eat into his carries next season. All 3 of those kids look like game breakers especially Abdullah.
This is likely true, he is draft eligible for 2012, but with Nebraska's history of upperclassmen not leaving for the draft early, he probably does stay. I agree with pretty much all of your points except for being a feature back. I think he has all of the tools and the work ethic to earn his way into a feature or (let's be honest with the way the league is headed) lead committee back role.

To those claiming he needs to put on weight, I don't see that. He's already plenty thick for his play style at 210lbs. I would describe him as explosive, but not in the breaking off long runs definition of the term. Burkhead is an explosive inside runner. His change of direction ability, mixed with his ability to run through tackles is astounding.

I think I'm far too tired for critical thinking this morning, though, so I might have to step out of here until I've woken up a bit.

burkhead's vision is amazing--he rarely takes the wrong angle or cut. he's very efficient and sneaky quick. he'll likely drop in the nfl draft because other running backs have better measurables, but he runs like one of those running backs that slip in a draft or are undrafted, and then go on to have pro careers that make you wonder why teams passed on guy.

he'll likely be my top late-round RB draft prospect when he comes out.

Being one of our resident Nebraska fans, I've taken it upon myself to throw together a video of Rex Burkhead's carries against arguably the 4 best teams Nebraska has played this year: Washington, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State.

Bump for post-draft chatter.

If we let me cheat and use combine + pro day numbers, I was almost exactly dead on. At his pro day he ran in the "4.5's", #2 in the broad jump, #4 in 3 cone, #2 in 20 yard shuttle, #5 in 60 yard shuttle, 39" vertical, 21 bench reps.

I stand by my original analysis of him as a player, though I do wish we'd have gotten to see him play more his senior year. I could see him winning the lead rookie back role in Cincinnati, similar to a Daryl Richardson/Isaiah Pead situation. Bernard is definitely faster than Burkhead, though.

To further expand on why I think he could get a decent role this coming season, Burkhead is a finished product. This is about the best you're going to get out of him, and that best is, I believe, capable of being a starting NFL running back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he can come in and compete, maybe make the team. If he shines, he could replace the law firm in a couple years as the goal-line/short yardage back to compliment Gio.

I think he can come in and compete, maybe make the team. If he shines, he could replace the law firm in a couple years as the goal-line/short yardage back to compliment Gio.
thats silly talk. He will make the team, no doubt about it and has many good qualities that will make him useful. May cut his teeth in year 1 but if he gets his shot Gio may be sharing the load

Did any one notice he's white? Why waste a draft pick on a white RB? He can take up a roster spot for you via FA. Only to be released once you finally realize there is no place for white RBs in the NFL. (Fantasy speaking wise)

Warpig said:
Did any one notice he's white? Why waste a draft pick on a white RB? He can take up a roster spot for you via FA. Only to be released once you finally realize there is no place for white RBs in the NFL. (Fantasy speaking wise)
:thumbs down:

Warpig said:
thumbs up.

Why can't we say this? It's true. White running backs are not fantasy relevant. It's just a fact.

Warpig said:
thumbs up. Why can't we say this? It's true. White running backs are not fantasy relevant. It's just a fact.
Dumb. And not a fact by any means. Surely you can recall a white RB that has been relevant. Used to be black QB's weren't "fantasy relevant".So ignorant.

Warpig said:
thumbs up. Why can't we say this? It's true. White running backs are not fantasy relevant. It's just a fact.
Dumb. And not a fact by any means. Surely you can recall a white RB that has been relevant. Used to be black QB's weren't "fantasy relevant".So ignorant.
Yes, the reasons there are no good white rbs is the same as why black qbs weren't given a chance in the past.Ignorant indeed

So ignorant? You're just blind to the facts. Name one that was relevant not named Peyton Hillis. He just proves my point more. Tears up the league 1 year, all down hill from there. Might even end up out of the league after this year. Either white RBs aren't as athletically gifted or there is a stigma about them and they never get a legit shot at being a franchise RB.

My point is simply why draft a white RB in fantasy football?

Warpig said:
Yes, the reasons there are no good white rbs is the same as why black qbs weren't given a chance in the past.Ignorant indeed
Who said the reasons have to be the same? Why don't you just come out and say what you want to say? Let me guess...blacks are "more athletically gifted". Sprinkle in some pseudoscience about muscle length, proportion of quick twitch fibers, etc. White RB' s aren't athletic enough...until they are. Black QB's weren't intelligent enough...until they were. Blacks are better basketball players. Whites are better hockey players. Blah blah blah, all nonsensical stereotypes.Here's a thought, let's judge each player as an individual case.Ignorant indeed....and sprinkle in a lot of stupid.

So ignorant? You're just blind to the facts. Name one that was relevant not named Peyton Hillis. He just proves my point more. Tears up the league 1 year, all down hill from there. Might even end up out of the league after this year. Either white RBs aren't as athletically gifted or there is a stigma about them and they never get a legit shot at being a franchise RB. My point is simply why draft a white RB in fantasy football?
Read enough of your posts to know that your "points" are rarely worth addressing in depth. BTW, this whole "athleticism as a function of race" has been discussed around here ad nauseum for well over a decade. It's nonsense. Evaluate a player as an individual, blanket statements that "white RB's" are not fantasy relevant is ignorant.

Warpig said:
Who said the reasons have to be the same? Why don't you just come out and say what you want to say? Let me guess...blacks are "more athletically gifted". Sprinkle in some pseudoscience about muscle length, proportion of quick twitch fibers, etc. White RB' s aren't athletic enough...until they are. Black QB's weren't intelligent enough...until they were. Blacks are better basketball players. Whites are better hockey players. Blah blah blah, all nonsensical stereotypes.Here's a thought, let's judge each player as an individual case.Ignorant indeed....and sprinkle in a lot of stupid.
Go look at the top 100 meter race times. Get back to me on how many of the best 100 times were by white guys

Warpig said:
Go look at the top 100 meter race times. Get back to me on how many of the best 100 times were by white guys
Had a long post in response but I can't get it to post from my IPad. Not interested in redoing it so I'll bow out of this one. I think this is nonsense but not interested in continuing it. By all means continue drafting by position according to race.

Warpig said:
Had a long post in response but I can't get it to post from my IPad. Not interested in redoing it so I'll bow out of this one. I think this is nonsense but not interested in continuing it. By all means continue drafting by position according to race.
I draft based off probabilities.

It's not a secret. There's a reason why there are more black sprinters, cornerbacks, WR's, and RB's, and it's not psychology. Are we so PC nowadays that we aren't allowed to say that blacks are more athletic?

loose circuits said:
Wow, this thread went downhill in a hurry.Danny wood head seems to be ok
You would start Danny Woodhead with confidence in your league? Notice Gandolf couldn't give me an argument contrary to what I stated. I'm not saying whites are inferior athletically. What I am saying is that white guys aren't given a reasonable shot at being a franchise RB. Unless anyone can prove me otherwise, the NFL has fallen victim to the Jedi mind trick that blacks are better athletes. I'm not saying they are, but historically speaking it would seam they are according to people in position to make those decisions when it comes to NFL. White dudes are damn good kickers and punters though.I'm not gonna lie, I thought about drafting Burkhead because of the numbers he put up at Nebraska and I like blue collar guys. But when I discovered he was white, I passed. And guess what...he's available on the FA wire in all of my leagues (except for those with the deepest of rosters...which are not the norm in fantasy football). Some of you posting in here should take your sociology/psychology degrees and go elsewhere. This IS fantasy discussion.

loose circuits said:
Wow, this thread went downhill in a hurry.Danny wood head seems to be ok
I'll take AP, Foster, Rice, Charles, McCoy, Lynch, or any other of the 32 black starting RB's in the league over Woodhead.

From the post draft Bloom 100 thread, source Rotoworld

Gruden added that Bernard and sixth-round pick Rex Burkhead will be "competing for third-down spot."
So he is up against Gio for third down duties.

Gruden added that Bernard and sixth-round pick Rex Burkhead will be "competing for third-down spot."
Which threw a wrench into my idea of his role in Cincy. I'd pictured him as an early-down complement to Gio if he got good snaps. He's apparently a good pass blocker, though. I'll pick him up off waivers where-ever I've got the roster spot. I doubt he'll ever be startable, but can imagine a scenario in which his no-nonsense, hit-the-whole style earns him early-down work in Cincinnati.

Which threw a wrench into my idea of his role in Cincy. I'd pictured him as an early-down complement to Gio if he got good snaps. He's apparently a good pass blocker, though. I'll pick him up off waivers where-ever I've got the roster spot. I doubt he'll ever be startable, but can imagine a scenario in which his no-nonsense, hit-the-whole style earns him early-down work in Cincinnati.
not only is he a good pass blocker, I don't remember him ever dropping a ball. He was lethal in the passing game and even ran WR routes at NU's pro day

RB REX BURKHEAD

Years in NFL: Two

When drafted: Sixth round (No. 190 overall), 2013

2014 stats: 9 rushes, 27 rushing yards, 7 catches, 49 receiving yards, 1 rushing touchdown, 5 special teams tackles

Why he's poised to break out: Simple. His coaches have been saying they want him to.

Since last season ended, Marvin Lewis and others on the Bengals' staff have lamented the way Burkhead was used during the first two years of his career. The bottom line: they just haven't used him enough. A versatile playmaker, in the limited time he has participated in the Bengals' offense, Burkhead has been both a runner and a receiver. It was during the Bengals' wild-card round playoff loss to Indianapolis that Burkhead emerged as a legitimate receiving option. The day before, the Bengals found out A.J. Green wouldn't be able to participate because of continuing concussion symptoms, and tight end Jermaine Gresham decided not to play because of a back injury. With Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert and James Wright already missing, the Bengals had significant holes at their pass-catching positions.

So Burkhead was called out of the backfield and moved into the slot. After taking a reverse for 23 yards on the game's opening play, he caught three passes for 34 yards.

Regularly this spring, Burkhead appeared in the slot. He looked impressive, too, running routes and catch passes with safeties and corners lined up against him. Two of the biggest challenges he has had in getting reps as a slot receiver involve learning the more complicated route trees receivers have compared to running backs, and discovering ways to put moves on the quicker safeties and cornerbacks who have covered him. As a running back, he was more regularly covered by linebackers on passes out of the backfield. His moves in those matchups required power. At receiver, they require more finesse.

Though he could get more opportunities to catch passes, still look for Burkhead to have chances as a runner, too. He hasn't completely abandoned running back. But with the likes of Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill ahead of him, Burkhead probably won't see a significant jolt to his carries. Because of the backfield's numbers game, much of the increased production he's anticipating will have to come through the passing game. If the Bengals are true to their word about Burkhead, who turns 25 on Thursday, he will be more of a factor this season. The few extra touches won't make him a star, but they could make him an unique back-of-the-depth-chart weapon.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17802/bengals-rex-burkhead-running-back-expanding-role-breakout-year

Seems to me like an underrated cuff for both Hill and Bernard owners cause he could fill either role because he is so versatile and he may get a few looks a game out of the slot regardless

with James Wright waived/injured and Denarious Moore not living up to expectations, this guy could end up the top back-up at WR and RB. If one injury strikes, he could end up with some great value. He can run between tackles, catch the ball, block, run routes like a WR, so there is a lot to like here and he's ridiculous cheap.

daily Rex Burkhead bump:

Rex Burkhead, RB/WR: The former Nebraska standout is showing he can do a lot of things that the coaching staff covets from a backup running back. He's played in the slot at practice and made catches, ran the ball and has also been out there for special teams. This will be a run-first offense and having as many capable backs as possible will be needed--plus, the slot ability helps out the receiver corps.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/8/3/9090053/recent-occurrences-have-some-pondering-bengals-2015-roster-depth

Rotoworld is saying burkhead was slot WR with #1 offense and was in the RB rotation in front of Bernard. too badd he hurt his neck. Hopefully, it is minor...

Rotoworld:

Rex Burkhead is expected to be fine after exiting the Bengals' preseason opener with a neck injury.

He could resume practicing as early as Monday. A running back by trade, Burkhead lined up as a slot receiver with the first-team offense on Friday night, the same position he played in the Bengals' playoff loss last season. Burkhead should lose that role once Marvin Jones gets up to speed, but Cincinnati appears determined to get him touches.

Source: Cole Harvey on Twitter Aug 15 - 12:08 PM

Still driving the fan club. Maybe you guys will catch on eventually

I recall that play as I was watching the Bengals O to get a look at Burkhead. Was really surprised to see him in on the first 3rd down... lined up slot left and beat his man (believe it was a LB) like a drum to the middle of the field. Was WIDE open, but Dalton was busy staring down the right side and never looked.

So according to the play by play, Burkhead caught two passes for 35 yards on the opening drive for the Bengals... Appeared to be playing ahead of Gio... Could be one helluva PPR sleeper.

They've kept him well under wraps.

So according to the play by play, Burkhead caught two passes for 35 yards on the opening drive for the Bengals... Appeared to be playing ahead of Gio... Could be one helluva PPR sleeper.

They've kept him well under wraps.
plenty of room on this bandwagon :) Evan Silva is getting there: https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/636897074257231872

https://twitter.com/Fox19Brad/status/637776665440088065

vine of the play: https://twitter.com/Josh_Kirkendall/status/637773434257342468

@CincyJungle: #Bengals vs #Bears winners and losers; winners include McCarron, A. Smith, Hill & Burkhead http://t.co/kodOil3uua http://t.co/hFkYDB5pgD

Rex Burkhead: As mentioned above, the Bengals are loaded with pass-catchers, and Burkhead finally had a nice showing in a preseason game after lighting it up in training camp. Burkhead opened with the starting offense and caught two passes for 35-yards on Cincinnati's opening TD drive. He's now put himself in a position to be active for every game day and be a significant part of the passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread