What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rex Burkhead RB - HOU (1 Viewer)

My posts are mostly tongue and cheek...I'm not really surprised with what's going on.  But its still looking like it will take a White or Gilly injury to trust him.

Well, that was disappointing. Good thing I hedged Burkhead with Gillislee in the league I have him. Certainly could have good weeks coming up, but they definitely went with Lewis and White in certain passing downs in the backfield, so even his pass catching role that I expected wasn't really there.

I would bet the farm that the Patriots use Burkhead  a lot more in next weeks game. The Pats couldn't move the ball very well with Gillislee(Sure he got 3 TD's) but he should just be the goal line back most of the time,and they didn't move the chains that well with White in their either... Burkhead is the best dual threat RB the Patriots have. He can do everything White and Gillislee can do, but better. After that loss last night,you can bet BB shakes things up a bit next week at RB.   Burkhead will get the most touches against the Saints next week and will keep getting the most touches each week the rest of the season,after he breaks out big next week... :)

He stays on my bench but not yet the cutting room floor.
Yeah, I'm a big Burkhead fan as a player, but unless the Pats do an about face on their offensive plan (or move him to the slot with Amendola out or something) he's not going to see my starting lineup.

From what I saw last night, NE needs to have either Burkhead or White in the game on early downs. Without Edelman, they need a pass catching back to give Brady another option.  Seems they bogged down when Gilleslee was in the game as the primary back. One game, but that was my take away. 

I'm not dropping him.  I drafted him fairly late as a bench player/prospect.  I think New England will find a role for him.  They seem to be losing a lot of people so a guy that can run, catch, and lineup as a WR could be very useful in a PPR. 

I'm not dropping him.  I drafted him fairly late as a bench player/prospect.  I think New England will find a role for him.  They seem to be losing a lot of people so a guy that can run, catch, and lineup as a WR could be very useful in a PPR. 
Agreed.  Seems like some patience is the best idea here.

hmmm, so you think he's going to put on a show but you're benching him.  So you're expecting a bigger show from both Abdullah and Hyde? That's a lot of shows.
I just felt they were the safer play... btw did I mention I meant Kareem hunt ;)

From what I saw last night, NE needs to have either Burkhead or White in the game on early downs. Without Edelman, they need a pass catching back to give Brady another option.  Seems they bogged down when Gilleslee was in the game as the primary back. One game, but that was my take away. 
He only played like 24 snaps and he ran on 14 of them.  So in those 10 plays they were "bogged down".  Ok.

I would bet the farm that the Patriots use Burkhead  a lot more in next weeks game. The Pats couldn't move the ball very well with Gillislee(Sure he got 3 TD's) but he should just be the goal line back most of the time,and they didn't move the chains that well with White in their either... Burkhead is the best dual threat RB the Patriots have. He can do everything White and Gillislee can do, but better. After that loss last night,you can bet BB shakes things up a bit next week at RB.   Burkhead will get the most touches against the Saints next week and will keep getting the most touches each week the rest of the season,after he breaks out big next week... :)
We must have been watching different games. I didn't see that at all.

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss expects Rex Burkhead to play more snaps Week 2.

Burkhead was limited to 10 plays in the season opener, but the Patriots are incredibly thin at receiver with Danny Amendola (concussion, knee) out. Reiss does not expect Burkhead to suddenly become a slot receiver, but he does think New England will get him and James White on the field together to help out the passing attack. Even so, Burkhead cannot be trusted in fantasy lineups against the Saints.

Source: ESPN

Sep 16 - 11:18 AM

Very happy with his production tonight.  He also was getting goal-line carries which was nice to see.  Top scoring Pats RB over the last 2 games in PPR.  Not a huge sample size, but he looks like an RB2 moving forward.

And has a juicy matchup against the Raiders this week...I guess Gilislee has fallen completely out of favor 
It could end up being the Lewis/Rex show. Rex at least gives the threat of a run play, White falls down as soon as he's touched. Id feel really good down the stretch starting Rex as the ppr NE back.  Gilislee being inactive tonight was huge, down to three backs. 

And has a juicy matchup against the Raiders this week...I guess Gilislee has fallen completely out of favor 
Gilieslee was a healthy scratch yesterday. Which only proves that we have no idea how long a NE RB will last as favorable.

Big shout out to @Sigmund Bloom calling his shot here. He had sexy Rexy projected at nearly exactly what he scored.  I'm guessing he didn't account for the blocked punt. I don't play IDP, but do offensive players get points in that situation? 

The emergence of Rex allowed them to make Gillislee inactive.

"Bill Belichick was interested in Rex Burkhead before end of 2016 season"

That article was the reason I drafted Rex in my 12 team standard league.  They use him in the red zone.  They use him in the slot.  They use him as a pass catcher.  They use him on special teams.  He had a block punt last night and you know Bill will love that.  He has caught two red zone TDs from Brady this year.  On a high powered offense.  RB2 in PPR.  Low end RB2/flex in standard.  But his ceiling is massive.  Last night vs Denver Rex almost had a 2nd TD but he was held and drew a defensive holding penalty.

I would think there would be a bit more buzz about Rex.  He could/should possibly be a solid RB2 the rest of the season with Gillislee falling out of the picture.  He will be in on the majority of snaps and will see a lot of touches both rushing and receiving.  Sure Belicheck plays looks for best matchups, but I think Rex will be the best option from here on out.  

I would think there would be a bit more buzz about Rex.  He could/should possibly be a solid RB2 the rest of the season with Gillislee falling out of the picture.  He will be in on the majority of snaps and will see a lot of touches both rushing and receiving.  Sure Belicheck plays looks for best matchups, but I think Rex will be the best option from here on out.  
He looks really good but Lewis also looks damn good. Biggest plus for Burkhead is he only has to contend with White in terms of RB usage in the pass game. Lewis isn't being used at all. As we sit here today I'd probably rank them (in PPR) as:

1. Burkhead

2. White

3. Lewis

But all three look like viable flex plays right now and especially this week vs. Oakland. 

Users who are viewing this thread