What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

PoliSciGuy

Footballguy
A former defensive coordinator who was integral for decades to Penn State's success in football was accused Saturday of sexually abusing eight boys, and the school's athletic director and an administrator were charged with perjury and failing to report what they knew about the allegations in a case that prosecutors said uncovered a years-long trail of a predator and those who protected him.

Former coach Jerry Sandusky, 67, of State College, was arrested Saturday and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts, the state attorney general's office said. Athletic director Tim Curley, 57, and Penn State vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz, 62, both of Boalsburg, were expected to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg. Schultz's position includes oversight of the university's police department.

Longtime head coach Joe Paterno, who has more victories than any coach in the history of Division I football, was not charged, authorities said, and the grand jury report did not appear to implicate him in wrongdoing. It said that when Paterno first learned of one report of abuse, he immediately reported it to Curley, but Sandusky was no longer coaching at the time and it's not clear whether Paterno followed up with Curley.

Sandusky, closely identified with the school's reputation as a defensive powerhouse and a program that produced top-quality linebackers, retired in 1999 but continued to work with at-risk children through the nonprofit Second Mile organization he founded in 1977. He was charged with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of a child, indecent assault and unlawful contact with a minor, as well as single counts of aggravated indecent assault and attempted indecent assault. A preliminary hearing for Sandusky is scheduled for Wednesday, but his lawyer told reporters it would likely be delayed.

Big Ten Blog

Big Ten ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg and Brian Bennett write about all things Big Ten in the conference blog.

• ESPN.com's WolverineNation

• Blog network: College Football Nation

"He's shaky, as you can expect," defense attorney Joe Amendola told WJAC-TV outside the arraignment hearing. "Being 67 years old, never having faced criminal charges in his life, and having the distinguished career that he's had, these are very serious allegations."

Amendola said Sandusky has been aware of the accusations for about three years and has maintained his innocence.

The allegations range from sexual touching to oral and anal sex, and victims testified they were in their early teens when some of the abuse occurred.

Attorney General Linda Kelly called Sandusky "a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys."

The grand jury said eight boys who were targets of sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky from 1994 to 2009. None were named, and in at least one case, the jury said the child's identity remains unknown to authorities.

One accuser, now 27, testified that Sandusky initiated contact with a "soap battle" in the shower that led to multiple instances of involuntary sexual intercourse and indecent assault at Sandusky's hands, the grand jury report said.

Victim 4, as he was identified in the jury report, said he traveled to charity functions and Penn State games with Sandusky, even being listed as a member of Sandusky's family's party for the 1998 Outback Bowl and 1999 Alamo Bowl.

"Sandusky did threaten to send him home from the Alamo Bowl in Texas when Victim 4 resisted his advances," the report said, and Sandusky gave him clothes, shoes, a snowboard, golf clubs, hockey gear and football jerseys.

"Sandusky even guaranteed Victim 4 that he could be a walk-on player at Penn State," and the boy appeared with Sandusky in a photo in Sports Illustrated, the jury said. He testified that Sandusky once gave him $50 to buy marijuana, drove him to purchase it, and then drove him home as the boy smoked the drug, according to the report.

"This was when Victim 4 was trying to distance himself from Sandusky because he wanted no more sexual contact with him," the jurors said.

Another child, Victim 8, as jurors named him, is known only as a boy, about 11 to 13, who was seen pinned against a wall, by a janitor who observed Sandusky performing oral sex on him in fall 2000, the jury said.

No one answered a knock at the door Saturday at Sandusky's modest, two-story brick home at the end of a dead-end road in State College. A man who answered the door at The Second Mile office in State College who declined to give his name said the organization had no comment.

The report accuses Curley and Schultz of knowing some details of accusations of sex abuse against Sandusky but failing to tell authorities what they knew.

"It is also a case about high-ranking university officials who allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury," Kelly said.

Lawyers for both men issued statements saying they were innocent of all charges.

Prosecutors said all of the young men first encountered Sandusky through Second Mile.

The first to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12, the grand jury said. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky's home, jurors said. Eventually, the boy's mother reported the allegations of sexual assault to his high school, and Sandusky was banned from the child's school district in Clinton County in 2009. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday.

The report also alleges much earlier instances of abuse, and efforts by some who knew of it to stop it, to no avail.

Kelly said that in 2002, a graduate assistant saw Sandusky sexually assault a naked boy, estimated to be about 10 years old, in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building on campus. The grad student and his father reported what he saw to Paterno, who immediately told Curley, prosecutors said.

Curley and Schultz met with the graduate assistant about a week and a half later, Kelly said. Nothing happened.

"Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law," Kelly said.

There's no indication that anyone at school attempted to find the boy, or follow up with the witness, she said.

Curley denied that the assistant had reported anything of a sexual nature, calling it "merely `horsing around," the 23-page grand jury report said.

But the jury said Curley was lying, Kelly said, adding that it also deemed portions of Schultz's testimony not to be credible.

Curley testified that he barred Sandusky from bringing children onto campus and that he advised Penn State president Graham Spanier of the matter.

Schultz told the jurors he also knew of a 1998 investigation involving sexually inappropriate behavior by Sandusky with a boy in the showers the football team used. But despite his job overseeing campus police, he never reported the 2002 allegations to any authorities, "never sought or received a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the show in 2002," the jurors wrote.

"No one from the university did so."

In response to a request for comment from Paterno, a spokesman for the athletic department said all such questions would be referred to university representatives, who released a statement from Spanier calling the allegations against Sandusky "troubling" and adding Curley and Schultz had his unconditional support.

He predicted they will be exonerated.

"I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years," Spanier said. "I have complete confidence in how they handled the allegations about a former university employee."

Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to Paterno, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions' national-title teams in 1982 and 1986. The team is enjoying another successful run this season; at 8-1, Penn State is ranked No. 16 in the AP Top 25 and is the last undefeated squad in Big Ten play. The Nittany Lions were off Saturday.

As stunning as the charges were the names implicated at a school where the football program is known for its consistency as much as its success -- a big change this year was the removal of white trim from players' uniforms.

"We're supposed to be one of the universities to follow after, someone to look up to," said sophomore Brian Prewitt of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. "... Now that people on the top are involved, it's going to be bad."

***Title changed by Joe Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
Started reading the Grand Jury report. Had to stop, I was so disgusted. And apparently at least two other university officials were aware of at least one incident that occurred in the stadium shower with a 10-year old boy.

Throw them all in jail and throw away the key.

Started reading the Grand Jury report. Had to stop, I was so disgusted. And apparently at least two other university officials were aware of at least one incident that occurred in the stadium shower with a 10-year old boy.Throw them all in jail and throw away the key.
Careful. One of those officials was Joe Paterno.

Started reading the Grand Jury report. Had to stop, I was so disgusted. And apparently at least two other university officials were aware of at least one incident that occurred in the stadium shower with a 10-year old boy.Throw them all in jail and throw away the key.
Paterno gonna get a free pass? Hard to imagine the AD and a VP knew stuff but JoePa didn't? Lots of heads gonna roll over this.

Paterno gonna get a free pass? Hard to imagine the AD and a VP knew stuff but JoePa didn't? Lots of heads gonna roll over this.
according to the article JoePa reported it to the AD and he kept it quiet

Well, in the article the prosecutors maintain that Paterno notified the AD immediately upon hearing the allegation. Is that enough to keep in the clear on this? In other words, did he do all he was authorized to do? I'm not sure, but it sounds like the prosecutors aren't going after him.

Doesn't he have an obligation to report it to the police? I mean, if I know of a guy at work raping 10 year old kids I'm telling someone other than my boss.

Doesn't he have an obligation to report it to the police? I mean, if I know of a guy at work raping 10 year old kids I'm telling someone other than my boss.
:goodposting:

If you're an adult and you see another adult having sexual relationship with a minor and you do nothing about it, you should be thrown in the can as well. I'm more shocked when I hear people who witness something like this and don't immediately go to the cops.

I mean, this is JoePa after all. When he heard about it, he probably thought it was just some horseplay and brushed it off as not as big of a deal as it clearly is (even moreso since there are numerous other apparent instances)

:goodposting: You can have half a brain to know you see this you contact the authorities, if not, then don't get upset when you get thrown in the fire.

I mean, this is JoePa after all. When he heard about it, he probably thought it was just some horseplay and brushed it off as not as big of a deal as it clearly is (even moreso since there are numerous other apparent instances)
How about the witness who saw him give a kid a BJ? :confused: Last thing I'd think is to contact my boss to report it. Wonder if they saw him murder someone if they'd done the same or you know call the cops like a sane person would do.

I would think so.

If you're an adult and you see another adult having sexual relationship with a minor and you do nothing about it, you should be thrown in the can as well. I'm more shocked when I hear people who witness something like this and don't immediately go to the cops.
Technically, Paterno didn't "see" anything. One of his assistant coaches saw it, and then reported it to him. Then, Paterno reported it to the athletic director.Neither Paterno nor the assistant called the police, or campus police, or the dean of the university.

Technically, Paterno didn't "see" anything. One of his assistant coaches saw it, and then reported it to him. Then, Paterno reported it to the athletic director.Neither Paterno nor the assistant called the police, or campus police, or the dean of the university.
Its wasnt a PSU football assistant, it was a Graduate Assistant aka a PSU student.I blame them for not going to the cops more than JoePa in this scenario

I'm not picking on Pat here, I am referring to anyone who saw this going on and decided to pass the buck off in hopes they won't be punished for it.That said, if you don't see it and start getting complaints you do something about it. You can't use the "I never saw anything so nothing I could have done" excuse.

A grand jury said that when Mr. Paterno learned of one allegation of abuse in 2002, he immediately reported it to Mr. Curley.
So it's important enough to immediately talk to Curley about it but not follow up or do anything further? :confused:
The grand jury found that Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz provided false testimony in discussing their response to the 2002 incident. It further found that Mr. Curley committed perjury in repeatedly denying that he had been told that Mr. Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child.
Both need jail time for this.
According to the attorney general’s office, a graduate assistant for the team alerted Mr. Paterno in 2002 that he had seen Mr. Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the shower at the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus. The graduate student told the grand jury he went to Mr. Paterno’s home the next day and described what he had seen. Mr. Paterno, in turn, told Mr. Curley.
About a week and a half later, Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz met with the graduate assistant, then told Mr. Sandusky that he could not bring any children from the Second Mile into the football building. But the university officials did not alert law enforcement, as required by state law, Ms. Kelly said.

Its wasnt a PSU football assistant, it was a Graduate Assistant aka a PSU student.I blame them for not going to the cops more than JoePa in this scenario
I agree that the witness is more to blame here. He obviously had a moment of crisis and didn't know where to turn. So he turned to one of the most respected, influential, ethically resolute men that this country has ever known.And that man let him down. Instead of saying "You need to go to the police before Sandusky molests anymore children", he said "Let's talk to my boss."

If anything like this ever happened to my son you may as well just get the jail cell ready, because I seriously doubt that I'd be able to control my anger.

Getting tattoos doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden. :unsure:
Put aside your Ohio State worship. This is bad no matter who your team is.College Football is out of control due to the money and power that it breeds. And believe it or not "THE" ohio state is part of the problem.Try and be part of the solution and not the problem.

Put aside your Ohio State worship. This is bad no matter who your team is.College Football is out of control due to the money and power that it breeds. And believe it or not "THE" ohio state is part of the problem.Try and be part of the solution and not the problem.
Don't try to lump tOSU in with Penn State at this point. That is like saying a guy that got busted for smoking a joint is just as big a criminal as a child molester. Good try though.

Don't try to lump tOSU in with Penn State at this point. That is like saying a guy that got busted for smoking a joint is just as big a criminal as a child molester. Good try though.
I think he was comparing the attitudes, not the actions.

You showed your feeleings when you stated "Getting tattoos doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden."Why even try to deflect what your Buckeyes have done? Two wrongs do not make a right. Nobody in their right mind would try and defend Sandusky. Why even bring up your Buckeye Problems? They are not even comparable. Does it make you feel better to see other programs suffer along with yours?

Did JoePa do anything wrong? This sux
Yes. He had information that a child may have been being abused and he failed to make sure that the police were notified. "I told my boss" is not enough.
Massive respect for him and Penn State, this is a bad day. Sux when the folks you hold on a pedestal...this is about as bad as finding out about Santa.

JoePa has done so much good for so many kids for so long...wonder how ESPN and some of the college game day crew will handle this.

The commode just flushed on JoePa's legacy. People won't remember his two national championships, especially the one in 1986, if they still do. No, they won't remember the amount of wins he had or the controversial undefeated season of 1993 where Nebraska was crowned champions. Instead, they will remember how he prolonged his career only to see it detrimentally diminish amidst this scandal.

Joe Paterno is the Godfather of State College. No way he didn't know about this, even in 1998. It is not morally acceptable to turn a blind eye or place doubt into whether or not he knew what was going on, even if he has done such great things for the university, special olympics, and so forth.

Adios Joe!

Why is Graham Spanier backing Curley and Schultz?
Probably for the same reasons that nothing was ever done in the first place until a few years ago. To save face is the vaguest of explanations but it is as legitimate as any until further, unequivocal evidence suggests otherwise.

How do u live with yourself knowing this guys abusing kids and not talking to the cops. So disgusted. Psu rep about to be flushed.

You showed your feeleings when you stated "Getting tattoos doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden."Why even try to deflect what your Buckeyes have done? Two wrongs do not make a right. Nobody in their right mind would try and defend Sandusky. Why even bring up your Buckeye Problems? They are not even comparable. Does it make you feel better to see other programs suffer along with yours?
Does it make me feel better to see a fanbase that was quick to jump on tOSU and point to their program as a beacon of purity all of a sudden come across the worst scandal to ever hit college football? I'm only human.

Yes. He had information that a child may have been being abused and he failed to make sure that the police were notified. "I told my boss" is not enough.
I'm not defending him, or absolving him of anything. But put yourself in his position. You're a mid-level manager and one of your assistants, and probably a very close friend, you were just told was seen molesting someone. All you have is a person telling a story. You probably don't want to believe it, but you do the right thing and tell upper management of the problem and let them deal with it. Are YOU going to call the cops on your close friend and colleague or let the people in charge decide that? It's a tough situation to be put into, and Paterno probably did what he thought was the best thing he could do. Again, not absolving any blame, just trying to understand the tough situation he may have been in.

If my employee is accused of child rape, he's getting turned in whether he's a friend or not. Anal rape of a 10yo boy?

I'm not defending him, or absolving him of anything. But put yourself in his position. You're a mid-level manager and one of your assistants, and probably a very close friend, you were just told was seen molesting someone. All you have is a person telling a story. You probably don't want to believe it, but you do the right thing and tell upper management of the problem and let them deal with it. Are YOU going to call the cops on your close friend and colleague or let the people in charge decide that? It's a tough situation to be put into, and Paterno probably did what he thought was the best thing he could do. Again, not absolving any blame, just trying to understand the tough situation he may have been in.
This is my perspective on why I dont think Paterno went to the police as well. I wasnt the right call, but I can see why he might go this route instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Graham Spanier backing Curley and Schultz?
maybe the dumbest thing that guy could have done.really awful news for your Alma Mater here, GB.
He's not a stupid guy, so this just boggles my mind. I'm trying to understand WTF he's thinking? Is there any chance that this is not as bad as it looks?
Maybe. Of course, everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but there's no doubt in my mind that Sandusky is guilty. Curley and Schultz have more in their favor, but who knows how much. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, sadly.

Back the truck up. JoPa is nothing more than a mid-level manager? Sorry, but he's the face of the University.

Back the truck up. JoPa is nothing more than a mid-level manager? Sorry, but he's the face of the University.
And I find it practically impossible to believe that he wasn't aware of anything that Curley and Schultz knew and were doing in this case.

JoPa has a boss, correct? Sandusky - JoPa - Curley. See the ladder of management? Someone told Joe, and Joe told his boss. :shrug:

JoPa has a boss, correct? Sandusky - JoPa - Curley. See the ladder of management? Someone told Joe, and Joe told his boss. :shrug:
:lmao:

JoePa has no boss. They tried to get him to quit a few years ago and he threw them out of his house.

Jesus christ. Russ f'n Rose probably can tell the AD to ####, and he's the women's volleyball coach. He's JoeF'nPa. He's not a mid-level manager to some nobody AD.

Users who are viewing this thread