What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-1107-haugh-penn-state--20111107,0,2324737.column

"I wish I were dead.'' — Jerry Sandusky in May 1998.

Two detectives from local police agencies overheard former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky admit to the mother of an 11-year-old boy that Sandusky gave her son a naked bear hug while taking a shower in a campus locker room.

"I was wrong," Sandusky said, according to a Pennsylvania grand jury document released Saturday. "I wish I could get forgiveness. I wish I were dead."

That cry for help came 13 years ago. Nobody heard it.

For reasons that remain inexplicable, no charges were filed after that investigation and nothing changed, so Sandusky was free to allegedly prey on more innocent boys.

For reasons Joe Paterno will have to live with forever, Sandusky kept his job and JoePa kept wearing his trademark, thick-rimmed glasses that apparently allowed him to see only what he wanted.

Sandusky, 67, was released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts related to charges he sexually abused eight boys. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university administrator Gary Schultz face counts of perjury and failure to report child abuse. Significant by his absence in the indictment is Paterno, the most powerful man on campus who might have stopped the accused serial pedophile on his staff by working more aggressively with police.

Neither Paterno nor anybody else in authority did. As a result, Happy Valley has become Creepy Valley.

Paterno's head-in-the-sand approach permitted Sandusky to take along a teenager identified as Victim 4 on bowl trips the two football seasons following the '98 investigation, including to San Antonio for the 1999 Alamo Bowl in plain view of university personnel. It was in a hotel room there, according to the attorney general's disturbing 23-page "finding of fact," that Sandusky threatened to send the boy home if he didn't succumb to his sexual advances. Sick.

Undeterred, Sandusky continued the pattern after retiring when, in 2000, a janitor reported to a superior seeing the coach alone in the showers of the football facility with a young boy — Victim 8. No charges resulted and Sandusky still enjoyed his all-access privileges on campus.

In a town fueled by college football, nobody dared disgrace an acolyte of Paterno, especially a man who opened a home for troubled boys in 1977 under the ruse he wanted to help them.

Excuse me while I puke.

All the prior knowledge of Sandusky's predatory tendencies only makes a March 2002 incident, the one with facts damning enough to end the Paterno Era, the hardest to fathom. Around 9:30 on a Friday night, a Penn State graduate assistant walked into the football locker room where he observed a boy he guessed was 10 being sexually assulted by Sandusky.

The shocked grad assistant quickly left, called his dad and went to Paterno's house the next morning. Paterno waited 24 hours to meet with Curley. The grand jury narrative doesn't mention Paterno urgently calling law enforcement or trying to learn who the boy was so he could inform his parents. It describes Paterno, then 75, following protocol. Not until a week and a half later was the graduate assistant summoned to retell the horrific tale to Curley and Schultz.

Paterno dodged legal jeopardy by reporting the allegation to his superior. Ethically, Paterno stained a Hall of Fame career by not getting police involved after hearing a friend and ex-colleague with a history of allegations accused of raping a boy no older than one of JoePa's grandsons.

How do Penn State fans go to the game this weekend? You have to draw the line somewhere right?I'm an alum, a huge Nole fan and love Bobby Bowden...similar story comes out and I think I'd have to bail.
Support for the players and the "team". They didn't do anything wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all started prior to the shower incident. JoePa and up knew about this but didn't do anything perhaps thinking he would never molest children again or perhaps in fear that by reporting it people would view them in the same light. So fast forward to the shower problem. OK now it's crystal clear that he'd having sex with children in "their house" practically in front of them. It's out of control now so they all get together and decide to cover it up because if they now report it, they'll know past problems had come up yet they didn't do anything except punish him for no longer having him the heir apparent to JoePa as HC at PSU.

So he gets caught prior to what he's been charged with and the people who should have done something didn't then it happens again and now there's no way they are going to report him because they want to cover their own ###.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-1107-haugh-penn-state--20111107,0,2324737.column

"I wish I were dead.'' — Jerry Sandusky in May 1998.Two detectives from local police agencies overheard former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky admit to the mother of an 11-year-old boy that Sandusky gave her son a naked bear hug while taking a shower in a campus locker room."I was wrong," Sandusky said, according to a Pennsylvania grand jury document released Saturday. "I wish I could get forgiveness. I wish I were dead."That cry for help came 13 years ago. Nobody heard it.For reasons that remain inexplicable, no charges were filed after that investigation and nothing changed, so Sandusky was free to allegedly prey on more innocent boys.For reasons Joe Paterno will have to live with forever, Sandusky kept his job and JoePa kept wearing his trademark, thick-rimmed glasses that apparently allowed him to see only what he wanted.Sandusky, 67, was released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts related to charges he sexually abused eight boys. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university administrator Gary Schultz face counts of perjury and failure to report child abuse. Significant by his absence in the indictment is Paterno, the most powerful man on campus who might have stopped the accused serial pedophile on his staff by working more aggressively with police.Neither Paterno nor anybody else in authority did. As a result, Happy Valley has become Creepy Valley.Paterno's head-in-the-sand approach permitted Sandusky to take along a teenager identified as Victim 4 on bowl trips the two football seasons following the '98 investigation, including to San Antonio for the 1999 Alamo Bowl in plain view of university personnel. It was in a hotel room there, according to the attorney general's disturbing 23-page "finding of fact," that Sandusky threatened to send the boy home if he didn't succumb to his sexual advances. Sick.Undeterred, Sandusky continued the pattern after retiring when, in 2000, a janitor reported to a superior seeing the coach alone in the showers of the football facility with a young boy — Victim 8. No charges resulted and Sandusky still enjoyed his all-access privileges on campus.In a town fueled by college football, nobody dared disgrace an acolyte of Paterno, especially a man who opened a home for troubled boys in 1977 under the ruse he wanted to help them.Excuse me while I puke.All the prior knowledge of Sandusky's predatory tendencies only makes a March 2002 incident, the one with facts damning enough to end the Paterno Era, the hardest to fathom. Around 9:30 on a Friday night, a Penn State graduate assistant walked into the football locker room where he observed a boy he guessed was 10 being sexually assulted by Sandusky.The shocked grad assistant quickly left, called his dad and went to Paterno's house the next morning. Paterno waited 24 hours to meet with Curley. The grand jury narrative doesn't mention Paterno urgently calling law enforcement or trying to learn who the boy was so he could inform his parents. It describes Paterno, then 75, following protocol. Not until a week and a half later was the graduate assistant summoned to retell the horrific tale to Curley and Schultz.Paterno dodged legal jeopardy by reporting the allegation to his superior. Ethically, Paterno stained a Hall of Fame career by not getting police involved after hearing a friend and ex-colleague with a history of allegations accused of raping a boy no older than one of JoePa's grandsons.
Oof.

Two detectives from local police agencies overheard former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky admit to the mother of an 11-year-old boy that Sandusky gave her son a naked bear hug while taking a shower in a campus locker room.

"I was wrong," Sandusky said, according to a Pennsylvania grand jury document released Saturday. "I wish I could get forgiveness. I wish I were dead."

For reasons that remain inexplicable, no charges were filed after that investigation and nothing changed, so Sandusky was free to allegedly prey on more innocent boys.

For reasons Joe Paterno will have to live with forever, Sandusky kept his job and JoePa kept wearing his trademark, thick-rimmed glasses that apparently allowed him to see only what he wanted.

Sandusky, 67, was released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts related to charges he sexually abused eight boys. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university administrator Gary Schultz face counts of perjury and failure to report child abuse. Significant by his absence in the indictment is Paterno, the most powerful man on campus who might have stopped the accused serial pedophile on his staff by working more aggressively with police.

Neither Paterno nor anybody else in authority did. As a result, Happy Valley has become Creepy Valley.

Paterno's head-in-the-sand approach permitted Sandusky to take along a teenager identified as Victim 4 on bowl trips the two football seasons following the '98 investigation, including to San Antonio for the 1999 Alamo Bowl in plain view of university personnel. It was in a hotel room there, according to the attorney general's disturbing 23-page "finding of fact," that Sandusky threatened to send the boy home if he didn't succumb to his sexual advances. Sick.

Undeterred, Sandusky continued the pattern after retiring when, in 2000, a janitor reported to a superior seeing the coach alone in the showers of the football facility with a young boy — Victim 8. No charges resulted and Sandusky still enjoyed his all-access privileges on campus.

In a town fueled by college football, nobody dared disgrace an acolyte of Paterno, especially a man who opened a home for troubled boys in 1977 under the ruse he wanted to help them.

Excuse me while I puke.

All the prior knowledge of Sandusky's predatory tendencies only makes a March 2002 incident, the one with facts damning enough to end the Paterno Era, the hardest to fathom. Around 9:30 on a Friday night, a Penn State graduate assistant walked into the football locker room where he observed a boy he guessed was 10 being sexually assulted by Sandusky.

The shocked grad assistant quickly left, called his dad and went to Paterno's house the next morning. Paterno waited 24 hours to meet with Curley. The grand jury narrative doesn't mention Paterno urgently calling law enforcement or trying to learn who the boy was so he could inform his parents. It describes Paterno, then 75, following protocol. Not until a week and a half later was the graduate assistant summoned to retell the horrific tale to Curley and Schultz.

Paterno dodged legal jeopardy by reporting the allegation to his superior. Ethically, Paterno stained a Hall of Fame career by not getting police involved after hearing a friend and ex-colleague with a history of allegations accused of raping a boy no older than one of JoePa's grandsons.
Code: How are we going to handle this this will never get out.

I've read Schultz was a VP but also that he was in charge of the Penn State police as well. If that's the case McQueary did tell authorities, on a campus the size of Penn State the school cops are real cops not rent a cops like my little division 2 school had. McQueary is the only one (if in fact Schultz does oversee the police dept.) that it does seem like did the right thing, he told his boss (it happened in their work place and involved a former employee), he then related the story to the AD and to the man that oversees the police force. I guess he could have went to the media or the state police as well but we don't know what he was told, maybe he was told it was being investigated by Schultz.
the thing that looks bad for McQueary is if you report this up through the chain, and see nothing is done, and then chose to stay on with that program and get promoted up through the ranks knowing nothing was done, what does that say about you?
Not a whole lot. I can't imagine being an eyewitness to something like that, reporting it, then seeing nothing done at all to stop it. Then actually witness the perp continue to associate with boys on the same grounds that you work, KNOWING that the horrific event you witnessed is probabaly continuing. Not sure how one can live with himself. Boggles my mind.
i can't imagine EVER looking the rapist in the eye without wanting to do him sever bodliy harm, or loathing myself for not doing more
Honestly, It's hard not to think that this dude was somehow coerced to keep quiet. Whether it was bribery or threats, something had to stop this guy from opening his mouth again. Either that or he's so damn self-centered and shallow of a human being that he doesn't care about the welfare of children and he's almost as wrong as Sandusky. Either way I believe this is just the tip of the ice berg, and a lot of terrible things will be unearthed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that grand jury report is powerful.

Sandusky is a monster with a very specific pattern of selecting and taking advantage of his victims. That 1998-99 investigation that went nowhere other than the actual law enforement agencies telling him not to shower with boys anymore and Sandusky saying "ok" surely did nothing but embolden this serial rapist's beliefs that he could continue to get away with his actions. The fact that back then he told the mother he wanted to die only makes me think he will kill himself prior to trial. His bail was too low. He should be in jail on suicide watch to make sure he has to show his face in court and eventually suffer more than those boys had to suffer. Disgusting.

Having said that, if Joe had no other prior knowledge (and I am not sure he didn't), then his conduct in 2002 I don't have a major issue with. In hindsight, of course he should have done ANYthing to prevent this monster from continuing his behavior. And the fact that neither Paterno nor McQueary said/did anything in years subsequent when he was around children is disturbing. I'm sure McQueary felt helpless, although he should have called the police. It doesn't appear he was discouraged from doing so, as I would think that would have been questioned in this investigation as well.

I wonder who all was aware of the 1998-99 complaint and investigation. That would be telling I believe. Otherwise, nobody would really think anything of having these boys aroud given that Sandusky and Second Mile probably produced a lot of helpful uplifting situations since 1977 as well, otherwise the organization never would have lasted so long. I'm sure the players and other coaches enjoyed helping troubled youth etc. Man, what a slap in the face of all that is good in the world. The Dahmer treatment will be too kind for Sandusky in jail.

They all need to go, including Spanier. I can't believe that in the middle of all of these accusations that he would be stupid enough to express his "unconditional support".
:goodposting: - I had to read that twice when I saw it....he should have made a neutral statement at best....this whole place is going to be taken down in this....no way anyone survives. Can you imagine sending your 18 your old into this type of atmosphere?
Obviously this is WAY WAY less important - but how does PSU recruit right now? What parent would send their kid to play for JoePa right now?
"Our coaches prefer them really young, so your son will be safe."
Geez that is so funny and so wrong at the same time.

I wonder who all was aware of the 1998-99 complaint and investigation. That would be telling I believe. Otherwise, nobody would really think anything of having these boys aroud given that Sandusky and Second Mile probably produced a lot of helpful uplifting situations since 1977 as well, otherwise the organization never would have lasted so long. I'm sure the players and other coaches enjoyed helping troubled youth etc. Man, what a slap in the face of all that is good in the world. The Dahmer treatment will be too kind for Sandusky in jail.
if anyone thinks that there was an investigation of his defensive coordinator, and that unrelated to that Joepa just happened to tell him the next year he would never be head coach and he retired, all with joepa having no idea that the investigation ever occurred then i have some invisible helper monkeys i would like to sell you

I continue to be amazed that no one at PSU is taking responsibility for this... the association between the University and Pedophilia grows stronger by the second as the only statement out there by Spanier (representing the University) is to stand behind his employees instead of the victims. The P in PSU stands for Pedophile Protectors now. The image of the football program has been tarnished beyond repair, they have to burn it to the ground and start over now... the shocking thing is that the president of the University can not see that his actions are causing that image to encompass the entire university now.

It is ironic how all of these actions taken to preserve the image of PSU and their football program have now made it more vilified than if we found out they were fixing games, have damaged it beyond recognition. Let that be a lesson to us all...

I'm not sure what to think regarding Paterno.

If he does what he's supposed to do and alerts the proper authorities, then they tell him that they have investigated it and found the grounds baseless, then I don't have much of a problem with it.

But this is just the beginning.

In these things, usually more facts start coming out. Probably too soon to villify or exonerate JoePa. Heck, if someone came to me with an accusation of one of my guys, I wouldn't immediately pick up the phone and call the police. I'd take it to HR and let them handle it.

But the key is that I would check back with whomever told me. If I asked the person that talked to me a month later if anything was done and he said that nothing was done...then I'd probably try to get involved more.

But still, just too few facts to make a definitive judgment other than Sandusky is a horrible guy.

It sure looks like JoePa is in the clear. I don't think he should be though. How could he not report it to the police after seeing that nothing was happening to this guy?? It's inexcuseable. This story has a real chance of ruining his reputation as well, and I'm not sure that it shouldn't. The grand jury report is disgusting. I don't see how this guy could spend at least 10 years doing this crap after numerous people reported his activities. This is way worse than what Tressel did, and he got fired for it.

if anyone thinks that there was an investigation of his defensive coordinator, and that unrelated to that Joepa just happened to tell him the next year he would never be head coach and he retired, all with joepa having no idea that the investigation ever occurred then i have some invisible helper monkeys i would like to sell you
:goodposting: agree 100% buddies and I were talking about the same thing yesterdayI really hate when a man starts running the "I'm clueless" shtick and hopes to get away with it. You see it from politicians down to coaches and players. I pretty much feel like a man who has a lot of power uses this "I didn't know what was going on" as code for "I knew damn well what went on and since I run the show took care of it in hopes it never gets out".

It sure looks like JoePa is in the clear. I don't think he should be though. How could he not report it to the police after seeing that nothing was happening to this guy?? It's inexcuseable. This story has a real chance of ruining his reputation as well, and I'm not sure that it shouldn't. The grand jury report is disgusting. I don't see how this guy could spend at least 10 years doing this crap after numerous people reported his activities. This is way worse than what Tressel did, and he got fired for it.
I am sure this is far from over and more stories and people are going to come out which will paint JoePa in a much different light.

I continue to be amazed that no one at PSU is taking responsibility for this... the association between the University and Pedophilia grows stronger by the second as the only statement out there by Spanier (representing the University) is to stand behind his employees instead of the victims. The P in PSU stands for Pedophile Protectors now. The image of the football program has been tarnished beyond repair, they have to burn it to the ground and start over now... the shocking thing is that the president of the University can not see that his actions are causing that image to encompass the entire university now. It is ironic how all of these actions taken to preserve the image of PSU and their football program have now made it more vilified than if we found out they were fixing games, have damaged it beyond recognition. Let that be a lesson to us all...
I need to do more research on the matter to speak but I do think this event is going to cause a full-scale replacement of virtually the entire athletic dept. I feel bad for Penn State fans and the university. There are tons of good fans for Penn State. In the last two years, the two games with Bama were an awesome experience. The class that PSU had was amazing and they felt the same way regarding us (from those I've heard from). I hope a clean house can make the students and alumni feel better about their program, because no one wants to be associated with pedophilia and I also hope that other fans can keep the jokes to themselves when trash-talking.

Heck, if someone came to me with an accusation of one of my guys, I wouldn't immediately pick up the phone and call the police. I'd take it to HR and let them handle it.
Rape? Really?IMO the only people qualified to handle this would have been the police. Which is why if there's any justice, Joe will exit in disgrace before the end of the week.

If he does what he's supposed to do and alerts the proper authorities, then they tell him that they have investigated it and found the grounds baseless, then I don't have much of a problem with it.

In these things, usually more facts start coming out. Probably too soon to villify or exonerate JoePa. Heck, if someone came to me with an accusation of one of my guys, I wouldn't immediately pick up the phone and call the police. I'd take it to HR and let them handle it.

But the key is that I would check back with whomever told me. If I asked the person that talked to me a month later if anything was done and he said that nothing was done...then I'd probably try to get involved more.

But still, just too few facts to make a definitive judgment other than Sandusky is a horrible guy.
I think its pretty clear that the bolded didn't happen until 2008 when Victim 1's mom finally blew the whistle. Once that investigation started they were able to uncover 7 other victims and all this crap, much of which happened prior to 2002. If the right thing was done in 2002, this conversation would probably have been had in 2003, and who knows how many kids wouldn't have been raped.

Here's how it runs in my head

PSU to sandusky in 99: Jesus man, you cannot hug kids naked in the shower, do you know what this could do to us?

sandusky: sorry, it won;t happen again

PSU: OK, you'll have to resign but you'll get an emeritus position and can hang around, no more naked showers though

sandusky: you got my word

PSU: Christ didn't we talk about this already?

Sandusky: sorry

PSU: what do you want us to do? He saw you with a boy in the shower

Sandusky: it'll never happen again

PSU: Listen, we'll smooth things out here, we'll get the GA a job, you stay clear of him. You have to stop. At least don't bring kids on campus anymore, this could get really ugly for us

Sandusky: Never again, you have my word

now

up for debate is if JoePa was in on those discussions, or if he was more of a "don't tell me what you are doing" plausible deniability sorta guy. Either way he had to know.

The damage control began in earnest Sunday night. The lawyering. The spin. The sudden return to retirement; the midnight administrative leave. The Nixonian press release. Everyone "shocked." Everyone "deeply troubled."If true, the staggering liability. If true, the panicked cover-up.If true. "We were all fooled."By the time you read this, Joe Paterno might have resigned. Or worse yet, not resigned. Former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been indicted on scores of counts of felony sexual abuse of minor boys. Penn State officials have been indicted and charged with perjury. Read about it here and here and here and here.If true? Another American tragedy. If true? Another abject failure of moral obligation. And if true, the story for as long as it lasts -- 24 more hours or the next hundred years -- will be a question: "What did Joe know, and when did Joe know it?"In fairness then, the entirety of his statement:"If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters. While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred."Sue and I have devoted our lives to helping young people reach their potential. The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling. If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers."As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."I understand that people are upset and angry, but let's be fair and let the legal process unfold. In the meantime I would ask all Penn Staters to continue to trust in what that name represents, continue to pursue their lives every day with high ideals and not let these events shake their beliefs nor who they are."[+] EnlargePaternoJustin K. Aller/Getty ImagesHead coaches get the glory of winning, but they're also responsible for the shortcomings of their program.In other words -- If True -- I didn't know anything. Once informed of something, I did the minimum: I kicked it up the chain, looked away and chose never to think of it again.If Paterno knew something and did nothing, he's an accessory. If he didn't know, he should have known. Such are the burdens of omniscience as understood by the cult of the Division I football coach.If true, what did Joe know, and when did he know it?The failure here is complete. Utter. The failure of the institution and the failure of the individual. The failure of the community. The failure of common decency.If true? Your failure. My failure. We didn't keep our children safe.What did Joe know, and when did Joe know it?The truth is a horror story. If true.

I'm being serious here..Is there a chance Joe Pa was just too old? I mean we always joked about how he is just a figurehead at the university...

Sometimes old people truly don't know what's going on underneath them. Unless I hear the details of the conversation between Joe and the person that alerted him, I'll be hesitant to blame him.

I'm being serious here..Is there a chance Joe Pa was just too old? I mean we always joked about how he is just a figurehead at the university...Sometimes old people truly don't know what's going on underneath them. Unless I hear the details of the conversation between Joe and the person that alerted him, I'll be hesitant to blame him.
Sadly, that's probably the "explanation" that makes him look best.

I'm being serious here..Is there a chance Joe Pa was just too old? I mean we always joked about how he is just a figurehead at the university...Sometimes old people truly don't know what's going on underneath them. Unless I hear the details of the conversation between Joe and the person that alerted him, I'll be hesitant to blame him.
I was thinking the same thing BUT you could always argue that he's apparently lucid enough to still be the HC of a D1 football program.

Heck, if someone came to me with an accusation of one of my guys, I wouldn't immediately pick up the phone and call the police. I'd take it to HR and let them handle it.
Rape? Really?IMO the only people qualified to handle this would have been the police. Which is why if there's any justice, Joe will exit in disgrace before the end of the week.
I guess it depends on the details and thats my point. If someone said "I was raped by X", I'd say "lets go to the police".If someone says " I saw something disturbing", I'd say "lets go talk to HR".

A lot depends on the details of what was brought to me, which is what none of us know regarding Paterno.

The more I think about it, the more I think Paterno should have done more though, which is why I wonder if he was just too old to handle it? Who knows, I might be in denial. He seems like such a consumate professional and a guy with lots of integrity. Just shocking.

I was thinking the same thing BUT you could always argue that he's apparently lucid enough to still be the HC of a D1 football program.
It's always been questioned how much he actually does. I mean in the two Bama games I watched, he looked half asleep. I don't watch alot of Penn State football though so I don't know the extent he is involved in day to day activities.If this was a Nick Saban or a Jim Tressel, then there is no question there is a ton of blame. A guy that has his paws in every aspect of the program. But Paterno has a ton of separation, so hopefully that's the case. Even so, the events were at a time when I think he was much more involved than he is now, so I don't know how much the age factor has to do with anything.

I guess it depends on the details and thats my point. If someone said "I was raped by X", I'd say "lets go to the police".If someone says " I saw something disturbing", I'd say "lets go talk to HR".

A lot depends on the details of what was brought to me, which is what none of us know regarding Paterno.

The more I think about it, the more I think Paterno should have done more though, which is why I wonder if he was just too old to handle it? Who knows, I might be in denial. He seems like such a consumate professional and a guy with lots of integrity. Just shocking.
If it's a grown woman I bet there's no hesitation in going to the police. It's clearly only a matter of what they thought they could get away with.

He doesnt even wear a headset nor does he run practices. Players that i know from 2005 said Joe wasnt very involved.

to think that the way this could turn out best is if we find out for the past 15 years he's been bumbling around with no clue of what happens at PSUsad

"I wish I were dead.'' — Jerry Sandusky in May 1998.Two detectives from local police agencies overheard former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky admit to the mother of an 11-year-old boy that Sandusky gave her son a naked bear hug while taking a shower in a campus locker room."I was wrong," Sandusky said, according to a Pennsylvania grand jury document released Saturday. "I wish I could get forgiveness. I wish I were dead."That cry for help came 13 years ago. Nobody heard it.For reasons that remain inexplicable, no charges were filed after that investigation and nothing changed, so Sandusky was free to allegedly prey on more innocent boys.For reasons Joe Paterno will have to live with forever, Sandusky kept his job and JoePa kept wearing his trademark, thick-rimmed glasses that apparently allowed him to see only what he wanted.Sandusky, 67, was released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts related to charges he sexually abused eight boys. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university administrator Gary Schultz face counts of perjury and failure to report child abuse. Significant by his absence in the indictment is Paterno, the most powerful man on campus who might have stopped the accused serial pedophile on his staff by working more aggressively with police.Neither Paterno nor anybody else in authority did. As a result, Happy Valley has become Creepy Valley.Paterno's head-in-the-sand approach permitted Sandusky to take along a teenager identified as Victim 4 on bowl trips the two football seasons following the '98 investigation, including to San Antonio for the 1999 Alamo Bowl in plain view of university personnel. It was in a hotel room there, according to the attorney general's disturbing 23-page "finding of fact," that Sandusky threatened to send the boy home if he didn't succumb to his sexual advances. Sick.Undeterred, Sandusky continued the pattern after retiring when, in 2000, a janitor reported to a superior seeing the coach alone in the showers of the football facility with a young boy — Victim 8. No charges resulted and Sandusky still enjoyed his all-access privileges on campus.In a town fueled by college football, nobody dared disgrace an acolyte of Paterno, especially a man who opened a home for troubled boys in 1977 under the ruse he wanted to help them.Excuse me while I puke.All the prior knowledge of Sandusky's predatory tendencies only makes a March 2002 incident, the one with facts damning enough to end the Paterno Era, the hardest to fathom. Around 9:30 on a Friday night, a Penn State graduate assistant walked into the football locker room where he observed a boy he guessed was 10 being sexually assulted by Sandusky.The shocked grad assistant quickly left, called his dad and went to Paterno's house the next morning. Paterno waited 24 hours to meet with Curley. The grand jury narrative doesn't mention Paterno urgently calling law enforcement or trying to learn who the boy was so he could inform his parents. It describes Paterno, then 75, following protocol. Not until a week and a half later was the graduate assistant summoned to retell the horrific tale to Curley and Schultz.Paterno dodged legal jeopardy by reporting the allegation to his superior. Ethically, Paterno stained a Hall of Fame career by not getting police involved after hearing a friend and ex-colleague with a history of allegations accused of raping a boy no older than one of JoePa's grandsons.
$100K bail for 40 pedophile counts?!

Judge is a season ticket holder?

http://www.chicagotr...,2324737.column

Excuse me while I puke.

Judge is a season ticket holder?
Good 'Ol Boy Network

But if that were true - how the hell do you explain that McQueary is still on JoePa's staff? If JoePa believed the University investigated and found the claims baseless - then he has the worst kind of liar on his coaching staff. How does that make any sense?

'timschochet said:
'tri-man 47 said:
'timschochet said:
I freely admit to being a fan of Paterno; he's always been a hero of mine
I was going to ask about this when you mentioned it earlier in the thread -- Why is he your hero? Because he coached football at the same place for a really long time? I don't view Paterno as one who has had an enduring effect on his sport (ala John Wooden). What makes him a hero? It seems to me that your hero-bar is set rather low.
For me, he's been a hero because he did remind me of Wooden. Just always seemed like a very classy guy who ran a clean program for a long time. Seemed like a good guy. I admire class and decency. Until this incident, I had always related Paterno to those attributes.
OK ..fair enough. Thanks.

"Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky worked out at Penn State football facilities as recently as last week, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports reports."

Article

I wouldn't be surprised if he offs himself.

"Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky worked out at Penn State football facilities as recently as last week, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports reports."

Article

I'd like to say I can't believe Paterno would allow him near the team, but it seems perfectly normal now. Paterno was a part of the cover up. Paterno needs to go immediately.

My idiot buddy went down to the Linglestown District Magistrate to take care of a few parking citations today. Little did he know that Curley was about to show up for arraignment. Said its a mob-scene.

Article

That's why I'm extremely surprised by the bail amount. He should be without bail and on suicide watch. It also wouldn't surprise me, not that I am insinuating anything, but if he does, a suicide note would seem to clear JoPa.

I'm wondering how the AG can witness a little boy being raped in the shower and simply close the door and wait a day to bring it to someone's attention? What kind of person can leave a child to that? What a horrible story all around.

Just finished arguing with 2 guys at the office - both defending JoePa saying he did what he was supposed to do undert he law....said he wasnt an eye witness so reported it as he should have end of story....bad guys are in the AD. The pro JoePa camps are going to beat this drum.

I'm wondering how the AG can witness a little boy being raped in the shower and simply close the door and wait a day to bring it to someone's attention? What kind of person can leave a child to that? What a horrible story all around.
I hope it haunts him every night....should have at least created a diversion to let the kid get away or try to directly help him.

Article

That's why I'm extremely surprised by the bail amount. He should be without bail and on suicide watch. It also wouldn't surprise me, not that I am insinuating anything, but if he does, a suicide note would seem to clear JoPa.
Maybe they're hoping he kills himself. I know I am.

I think it's very telling a coach (or ex coach) has no problem having sex with a 10 year old at the university. You would never do that unless you felt 100% sure that if you got caught nothing would happen. That's an extreme risk to take since in most cases you would likely get caught doing that and get reported to the cops as a result. If you know you can get away with it though then there's no risk. More to this story and I think the powers that be knows what went on (and more stories will come out) and kept it quiet in fear it would tarnish their reputation.
It makes me wonder a bit if others weren't also sexually abusing the boys that Sandusky was involved with and bringing to campus.

Just finished arguing with 2 guys at the office - both defending JoePa saying he did what he was supposed to do undert he law....said he wasnt an eye witness so reported it as he should have end of story....bad guys are in the AD. The pro JoePa camps are going to beat this drum.
I guess that's fine, but at the end of the day JoePa either:1. Kept a GA on his staff (and promoted him ) thinking that the allegations against Sandusky were false and this guy had lied about a rape of a child.2. Allowed Sandusky to keep an office in the building, to hold overnight football camps with kids and to bring children onto the sidelines for practice, believing the allegations the GA made in 2002.or 3. He really had no idea what was going on because he's been senile for the past 15 years and is just a figurehead with no real decision making ability/authority at all.I don't think there's any other alternatives. He either covered up for a pedophile, promoted a guy who falsely accused a friend of being a pedophile or he's completely out of touch.

There are some cases where doing the minimum required by law is not enough, when you have knowledge of a sex offender in your organization raping children, the minimum required by law is not enough

Users who are viewing this thread