Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You find someone raping a child,  you go straight to the police station. (After you remove the kid from the situation, by force if necessary) You don't go home, consult with your father,  tell your bo

I don't have to wonder. Christ, that poor guy never stood a chance. 

Opened this up hoping he had died

Paterno to address media at 2pm.

Yeah... JoePa to address media at 2pm and not talk about the elephant sitting in the living room.
Assuming he does hold a news conference and attempts to only talk about football would damage him further. Penn State has much bigger issues than this weeks game. He needs to address it or don't hold the news conference.

Yeah... JoePa to address media at 2pm and not talk about the elephant sitting in the living room.
Assuming he does hold a news conference and attempts to only talk about football would damage him further. Penn State has much bigger issues than this weeks game. He needs to address it or don't hold the news conference.
My understanding is this is his regularly scheduled weekly press conference. I don't think he, or the PSU media relations department have fully thought through the implications of holding the conference. I know they have said he will only talk about football, but this is a story that has grown exponentially since this weekend.I expect that it will be cancelled, or Paterno will simply address the media without taking any questions.

This is correct. My FIL is a professor at a university and if you have to report something, you go through the chain of command, and you trust that the matter is handled thoroughly.

No offense but your FIL is not Joe Paterno.
Who said he was? I was just addressing the chain of command in a university to another poster.

If my FIL was told by someone that they witnessed a staff member touching a child, my FIL has to report it through his chain of command.

Complete :bs:
I'm a mandated reporter and if I witness abuse, I report it to my supervisor and let them take care of it (although many times they tell me to just go ahead and file the report myself). However, if time goes by and nothing is being done for whatever reason, I have a moral/professional duty to take matters into my own hands. For someone like me, going over my supervisor's head like that may cost me my job. I have a hard time believing Paterno had that same problem. Even at the expense of my job, it's still a no-brainer. There's just no excuse. I can't wrap my brain around it.

It would make me proud to see the entire crowd turn their backs on the game and stay quiet for it. But that won't happen.

not the players fault.. they need support.I have no problem saying F U to the coaches and administration, but not the innocent players
Frankly, I feel more sorry for the innocent kids who were raped under the watch of those coaches and administration. The football team and its season absolutely shouldn't be the focus right now. Football is a leisure activity and this story involves the lives of at least 8 boys. How about a little perspective.

This is correct. My FIL is a professor at a university and if you have to report something, you go through the chain of command, and you trust that the matter is handled thoroughly.

Who said he was? I was just addressing the chain of command in a university to another poster.
Right, but the situations aren't comparable because of the power differential. Your Father-in-Law might get in trouble for circumventing the proper chain of command. Paterno wouldn't.

Right, but the situations aren't comparable because of the power differential. Your Father-in-Law might get in trouble for circumventing the proper chain of command. Paterno wouldn't.
chain of command gets thrown out the window in situations as severe as this one.

If my FIL was told by someone that they witnessed a staff member touching a child, my FIL has to report it through his chain of command.

this goes way beyond touching. this is a violent crime being perpetrated against young, defenseless victims.when there's a guy shooting people on campus, you don't run up the chain of command.

It would make me proud to see the entire crowd turn their backs on the game and stay quiet for it. But that won't happen.

not the players fault.. they need support.I have no problem saying F U to the coaches and administration, but not the innocent players
Frankly, I feel more sorry for the innocent kids who were raped under the watch of those coaches and administration. The football team and its season absolutely shouldn't be the focus right now. Football is a leisure activity and this story involves the lives of at least 8 boys. How about a little perspective.
:rolleyes: Yes, lets punish each and every person affiliated with Penn State - past, present, and future. The student-athletes that play the game this Saturday are innocent. They don't deserve to have a cold shoulder turned towards them. They've done nothing wrong.

Yes, lets punish each and every person affiliated with Penn State - past, present, and future. The student-athletes that play the game this Saturday are innocent. They don't deserve to have a cold shoulder turned towards them. They've done nothing wrong.

Even if they've done nothing wrong, if the game goes on without any acknowledgement of the abuse, it will be perceived as callousness. But it's sort of hard for the institution itself to do something official right now like donate ticket proceeds to charity or wear patches to raise awareness. I think it has to be some sort of fan movement.Turning backs seems impossible though. Maybe encourage everyone to wear black instead of Penn State colors or something? I don't know.

not the players fault.. they need support.

I have no problem saying F U to the coaches and administration, but not the innocent players

Frankly, I feel more sorry for the innocent kids who were raped under the watch of those coaches and administration.

The football team and its season absolutely shouldn't be the focus right now. Football is a leisure activity and this story involves the lives of at least 8 boys. How about a little perspective.

:rolleyes:

Yes, lets punish each and every person affiliated with Penn State - past, present, and future. The student-athletes that play the game this Saturday are innocent. They don't deserve to have a cold shoulder turned towards them. They've done nothing wrong.

:lmao: Are you serious? This is exactly how the NCAA works. Players and coaches who never even met Reggie Bush were punished for his and the schools conduct. I don't like the system but you'll find the FFA leans heavily towards support of the school and current system.

of course the victims are top priority.. read my post in the context it was meant

I think a lot of people love a scandal, and they get delight out of smearing others.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: I hate the media these days. They do their best to destroy every hero and then they spend all day covering people that "matter" like Lindsay Lohan and Kim Kardashian. And truthfully, they only do what sells and gets ratings, so I don't know who to blame...

The players did nothing wrong. If anything, those young men need the support of the student body more than ever. I'd be ashamed if the best student section in the nation turned their backs on the whole team. It'd be the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face.

So many people ready to crucify Paterno... tell me, is it more because "he should have known" or because he did not report McQueary's allegations to the police himself? There seems to be some inconsistency in exactly how detailed an account McQueary gave to JoePa. I imagine this will be cleared up once Paterno is on the witness stand. I'm thinking that - regardless of the severity - if a coworker came to me and told me that he saw another colleague of ours commit a crime, I would be somewhat hesitant to call the police and report something I did not witness myself. I think reporting it to an internal investigating body would be appropriate, assuming that I believed they were operating in good faith. Sure, we're all horrified now that the deatils are out there, but what if Paterno had called police to report an untrue allegation that he had no firsthand knowledge of? Would that be responsible? I just don't read his actions as passing the buck. McQueary's inaction is much more sickening, if he in fact witnessed a rape and simply went home to call his dad instead of actively intervening.

When it comes to the sexual assault of a young boy? Yes, you report what you've been told. Let the police do the investigating. If there is nothing to the story, that conclusion will be reached. But if there is something to the story and you did nothing you are enabling a monster to destroy the lives of young boys. On which side do YOU want to err?
He didn't "do nothing." He took what he believed was appropriate action. It's easy to play Monday-morning QB now, and say that he should have called the police. Unless you think that he orchestrated a cover-up, he apparently believed that university officials would investigate and take action as necessary. He is guilty of misplacing his trust in Tim Curley.
He is guilty of knowing that a young boy was, at the very least, molested in his building and he made no personal effort to do anything to help that child. This is THE most powerful man at PSU. There is no such thing as "up the food chain" as it relates to Paterno and PSU.You know what speaks loudest to me about where these guys priorities were? Nobody even made an effort to find out who this boy was. Wouldn't you think that at least one of these men would have thought, "I wonder how that boy is doing? I should probably try to check on him."Every single one of these guys disgust me, and so does anyone who is trying to defend their actions, or lack thereof. Edited by CrossEyed

Pederast State University

:thumbdown:smear every student & grad
I don't see it that way - Im not sure if this is what AM was getting at, but it is impossible to not associate PSU with pedophilia now. Probably for the rest of our lives, when we hear Joe Paterno's name or Penn State, or see the uniform, we will think of Sandusky and the vile acts committed on University grounds that the University collectively failed to act to stop from happening in the future.I think his post is accurate in the sense that the initial cover-up and now the complete paralysis and inability to react appropriately has tied the identity of the university to this incident deeply and permanently. What do you think of when you hear "Catholic Priest"? PSU has years of work to do to avoid that kind of association now.
:goodposting:I don't get the sense that Paterno realizes this. i understand Paterno's reluctance to talk about this at todays press conference, and this year's team deserves better than to see its accomplishments overshadowed by this tragedy. But, if I was advising Paterno I would tell him to make a statement about the situation, express his sorrow/regret for how he handled this, no matter the "legal" requirements, and announce that he is stepping down at the end of the season.Penn State will clean house before next season. It is the only option they have.
This might sound drastic, but I think that they need to change the name of the university and the design of the football uniforms for starters. Classic re-branding is called for here. It's a shame that the very symbol of the program - the spartan uniform design - would have to be sacrificed, but it is a symbol of exactly what this scandal has and will continue to destroy - at least until the university brass gets a soul transplant.
I agree with this, and it's a shame because those unis are about as classic college football as it gets. They absolutely need a re-branding.Also, I wansn't trying to smear every PedSU grad, but anyone with their name on one of their degrees without driving distance should go to and demand the entire group is out immediately. I know I would. This was systematic and institutionally hidden child rape. You do not get worse than that. Not booting everyone associated with this scandal immediately stinks IMO. Hell, I wouldn't be against an old school lynch mod at this point. Would anyone?

I think a lot of people love a scandal, and they get delight out of smearing others.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: I hate the media these days. They do their best to destroy every hero and then they spend all day covering people that "matter" like Lindsay Lohan and Kim Kardashian. And truthfully, they only do what sells and gets ratings, so I don't know who to blame...

The players did nothing wrong. If anything, those young men need the support of the student body more than ever. I'd be ashamed if the best student section in the nation turned their backs on the whole team. It'd be the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The players shouldn't play either. PSU's nose was cut off a long time ago.

My understanding is this is his regularly scheduled weekly press conference. I don't think he, or the PSU media relations department have fully thought through the implications of holding the conference. I know they have said he will only talk about football, but this is a story that has grown exponentially since this weekend.

I expect that it will be cancelled, or Paterno will simply address the media without taking any questions.

Of course they do. The entire world is going to be watching today.

My guess is that Joe will make a statement about the situation and then tell the media that he can only answer football related questions at this time due to the ongoing investigation. His statement will then be dissected word-by-word by every message board on the internet and everyone will be disappointing because he didnt say what they wanted to hear and because he doesn't announce his resignation.

:rolleyes: Yes, lets punish each and every person affiliated with Penn State - past, present, and future. The student-athletes that play the game this Saturday are innocent. They don't deserve to have a cold shoulder turned towards them. They've done nothing wrong.
and in the process of supporting those innocent athletes you're showing every victim of this pedophile the exact culture that allowed them to be abused. There are more important issues than college sports.

THIS would be interesting. What if the players decided to skip the game in protest of the actions of the so-called 'adults' in charge. I would support them 100%

Pederast State University

:thumbdown:smear every student & grad
I don't see it that way - Im not sure if this is what AM was getting at, but it is impossible to not associate PSU with pedophilia now. Probably for the rest of our lives, when we hear Joe Paterno's name or Penn State, or see the uniform, we will think of Sandusky and the vile acts committed on University grounds that the University collectively failed to act to stop from happening in the future.I think his post is accurate in the sense that the initial cover-up and now the complete paralysis and inability to react appropriately has tied the identity of the university to this incident deeply and permanently. What do you think of when you hear "Catholic Priest"? PSU has years of work to do to avoid that kind of association now.
:goodposting:I don't get the sense that Paterno realizes this. i understand Paterno's reluctance to talk about this at todays press conference, and this year's team deserves better than to see its accomplishments overshadowed by this tragedy. But, if I was advising Paterno I would tell him to make a statement about the situation, express his sorrow/regret for how he handled this, no matter the "legal" requirements, and announce that he is stepping down at the end of the season.Penn State will clean house before next season. It is the only option they have.
This might sound drastic, but I think that they need to change the name of the university and the design of the football uniforms for starters. Classic re-branding is called for here. It's a shame that the very symbol of the program - the spartan uniform design - would have to be sacrificed, but it is a symbol of exactly what this scandal has and will continue to destroy - at least until the university brass gets a soul transplant.
I agree with this, and it's a shame because those unis are about as classic college football as it gets. They absolutely need a re-branding.Also, I wansn't trying to smear every PedSU grad, but anyone with their name on one of their degrees without driving distance should go to and demand the entire group is out immediately. I know I would. This was systematic and institutionally hidden child rape. You do not get worse than that. Not booting everyone associated with this scandal immediately stinks IMO. Hell, I wouldn't be against an old school lynch mod at this point. Would anyone?
I doubt anything as drastic as a name change or uniform change is needed. First, it wouldn't really address the issue. That is people would see right through it. Second, it isn't realistic for a school that size. What they do need to do is ask JoPa to step down immediately and take a far more deferential tone. And :lmao: at holding a presser but refusing to answer questions on this topic. Must be the same staff as Herman Cain.

My understanding is this is his regularly scheduled weekly press conference. I don't think he, or the PSU media relations department have fully thought through the implications of holding the conference. I know they have said he will only talk about football, but this is a story that has grown exponentially since this weekend.

I expect that it will be cancelled, or Paterno will simply address the media without taking any questions.

My guess is that Joe will make a statement about the situation and then tell the media that he can only answer football related questions at this time due to the ongoing investigation. His statement will then be dissected word-by-word by every message board on the internet and everyone will be disappointing because he didnt say what they wanted to hear and because he doesn't announce his resignation.

You don't hold the presser imo. Your certainly don't send a 90+ year old man to it either.

THIS would be interesting. What if the players decided to skip the game in protest of the actions of the so-called 'adults' in charge. I would support them 100%
I'd love to see them dress, then all stay on the sidelines when Paterno tells them to take the field.

I'd love to see them dress, then all stay on the sidelines when Paterno tells them to take the field.
That would be amazing to watch.

You don't hold the presser imo. Your certainly don't send a 90+ year old man to it either.
I agree that this could be disastrous. Joe doesnt usually do canned speeches. If he strays from the script and starts speaking candidly at any point, it could be big trouble.

I think it'd be pointless. Really. This is getting to be like the whole "Occupy Wall Street" thing. Let the kids play football and let the legal system work through the horrid crap with Sandusky.

So far there has been a ton of speculation put out there, very little fact. Even the findings of the grand jury are uncertain, considering that the burden of proof differs from an actual trial. I plan to withhold judgment until the picture becomes clearer regarding Paterno. IMO, he has earned the benefit of the doubt in the face of unproven allegation.

We now return to your regularly scheduled lynch mob...

As a father of a 11 year old son, if my son were tortured by this monster after it had been reported, I would probably use considerable resources to destroy JoePa in every way possible without any remorse.

I think it'd be pointless. Really. This is getting to be like the whole "Occupy Wall Street" thing. Let the kids play football and let the legal system work through the horrid crap with Sandusky.
Everyone got your earlier posts that you are buddies with Sandusky and you don't think this is a big deal. It's not pointless. It's making a statement. This could be the biggest moment of those kids' lives, to stand up for people that couldn't stand up for themselves. A public rejection of Paterno is just what the doctor ordered.

this is about a sick animal , administrators & coaching staff that were so afraid of hurting their reps that they turned a blind eye. Totally sickening .They deserve what is coming.

This isn't about the players or the guy who graduated in 2007.

So far there has been a ton of speculation put out there, very little fact. Even the findings of the grand jury are uncertain, considering that the burden of proof differs from an actual trial. I plan to withhold judgment until the picture becomes clearer regarding Paterno. IMO, he has earned the benefit of the doubt in the face of unproven allegation.We now return to your regularly scheduled lynch mob...

Mrs Sandusky?

You might think it's a bad idea, but I don't see how it could be characterized as "pointless." Playing a football game is pointless. Refusing to play would have much greater significance.

and in the process of supporting those innocent athletes you're showing every victim of this pedophile the exact culture that allowed them to be abused. There are more important issues than college sports.
So, should all college games be cancelled this weekend? Only Penn St. players don't deserve support? You need to relax. Supporting kids that had nothing to do with what was happening is not disrespecting these victims in any way. Even if one of the victims said that, I would, :rolleyes: .Keep your priorities straight. The administration of this school failed these kids. Not the players.

I remember thinking it was strange at the time when Sandusky went from assumed successor to Paterno to retired in a span of a couple of years. That, to me, is one of the most damning parts of this. He wasn't pushed out coincidentally to this stuff coming out for the first time in the late 90s.

Such sick, sick ####. The 23 page grand jury presentment is difficult to read, but I think it's worthwhile to help wrap one's head around the scope of this.

here's the problem, by allowing paterno to lead them on the field you make it impossible for the fans to properly support the students without suipporting himif you don't want the athletes to be victims here don't send paterno outthe school has control of this, they can AGAIN do the right thing, and they AGAIN will not. Like the little weasels they are they'll hide behind the innocent players "they deserve support on senior day, it is all about them" and accept as little responsibility for the actions of the institution as possible Edited by B-Deep

:goodposting:

the game means nothing at this point - it would be a great way for the players to protest - how can they practice and prepare for a game under these circumstances?

and what of those who did their legal duty and failed miserably at their morale duty as humans, they get a free pass?

and what of those who did their legal duty and failed miserably at their morale duty as humans, they get a free pass?
What can they do? The team is 8-1 they're not going to derail a potential national championship season.

So, should all college games be cancelled this weekend? Only Penn St. players don't deserve support? You need to relax. Supporting kids that had nothing to do with what was happening is not disrespecting these victims in any way. Even if one of the victims said that, I would, :rolleyes: .Keep your priorities straight. The administration of this school failed these kids. Not the players.
Until everyone involved all the way up to the President are fired, then Penn State and its football program deserve the scorn.

I remember thinking it was strange at the time when Sandusky went from assumed successor to Paterno to retired in a span of a couple of years.

I actually saw him speak at a father/son banquet at that time. He gave a very emotional speech about "some things being more important than football" and "only caring about the kids" and "dedicating his life to helping those less fortunate". It was very convincing at the time and made it all seem quite normal, admirable even. ####ing sick bastard. :hot:

I doubt anything as drastic as a name change or uniform change is needed. First, it wouldn't really address the issue. That is people would see right through it. Second, it isn't realistic for a school that size. What they do need to do is ask JoPa to step down immediately and take a far more deferential tone. And :lmao: at holding a presser but refusing to answer questions on this topic. Must be the same staff as Herman Cain.

Systematically enabling Child Rape is about as drastic as it gets... imo, this is a textbook situation for re-branding. Size is not an issue - it is totally realistic, international companies larger than Penn State have re-branded successfully.Does it address the base issue? No. Is it a transparent? You bet. Does it begin the repairing of the PSU image? Absolutely.I hate PR/Marketing stuff like re-branding, but the reality is it works. Philip Morris and their old school logo makes you think of lying about the dangers of smoking for profit. Altria makes you think of, well, nothing. Arthur Andersen makes you think of Enron and their evils. Accenture makes you think of, well, nothing. Penn State makes you think of pedophiles. Im not sure that is going to change any time soon because of how badly they have botched the reaction to this.The other thing a rebranding would accomplish is changing the subject of the conversation. If the higher-ups at PSU ever come to grips with just how severely this has damaged the university, they will definitely discuss it and at least do something functionally equivalent to re-branding with big time image clean-up. Establish the largest foundation for victims of child rape. Give part of the proceeds of the gate for every sporting event to that foundations. And so on.This goes way beyond JoePa stepping down. The delayed reaction has blunted whatever impact that would have as a "we're getting serious about this" message to the public.

What can they do? The team is 8-1 they're not going to derail a potential national championship season.

i agree they will not

and joepa will coach

but in that case i have no issue with any penn state fan showing their disgust, i do not think there is some obligation for the fans to support the students, because the students play for the institution that has failed, and at this point they could still sit paterno and make the game about the athletes, and they will not

is it fair to a football player on the team? Nope. But it is not fair to the fans to expect them to cheer for a team led by Paterno either.

So far there has been a ton of speculation put out there, very little fact. Even the findings of the grand jury are uncertain, considering that the burden of proof differs from an actual trial. I plan to withhold judgment until the picture becomes clearer regarding Paterno. IMO, he has earned the benefit of the doubt in the face of unproven allegation.We now return to your regularly scheduled lynch mob...

Yes because most grown men give naked bear hugs to children in showers. And if those men are later accused of child rape, there has to be nothing to it. Is that you, President Spanier?

Until everyone involved all the way up to the President are fired, then Penn State and its football program deserve the scorn.
Correct. But, use some common sense. Yes, the players are included in the 'football program', but really are not culpable to any degree, up to this point. For these kids to work for 4+ years, get to this game, which is senior day, only to have it crapped on by what the administration did, is a huge disservice. Things need to be kept in the proper perspective, here. What has been happening is disgusting and all involved should absolutely be dealt with swiftly and accordingly. But, to simply nuke the whole place, innocent and all, is just not the proper course of action. Edited by BigJohn