Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation

Paterno is gone as head coach. Only question is WHEN.

Next... after all this news has hit the fan publicly, how many more kids come out of the woodwork saying they were abused as well? Shirley it was more than just these eight.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You find someone raping a child,  you go straight to the police station. (After you remove the kid from the situation, by force if necessary) You don't go home, consult with your father,  tell your bo

I don't have to wonder. Christ, that poor guy never stood a chance. 

Opened this up hoping he had died

Wow - @Ben_Jones88 Scott Paterno, Joe's son, is working on setting up an off-campus presser for Paterno to speak at.

This could be the explosion everyone is looking for.
So it looks like JoePa's ego will be his ultimate undoing.
Nah. I bet this is more Scott's doing than his father's. I don't see Joe stepping out on his own against the wishes of the university. I just don't see it.

I haven't followed this story but can someone give me the cliff notes as to why Paterno would be forced to resign if he knew nothing about it (not part of the investigation) and if he did know something, he did report it?

JoePa called anal rape with a boy in the showers "horsing around"
I feel like I know enough about this to blame everyone involved except Paterno. He's still not off the hook but I need to know more. For instance did the Graduate assistant tell Paterno he witnessed full on anal intercourse or did he feel uncomfortable having that discussion with Paterno and phrased it like, "I saw Sandusky acting inappropriately with a young boy". Both are of course bad but require a major difference in actions.Let's not forget Paterno is an old man with a big job. Even though he's delegated lots of task it's still got to be a lot for an old man to keep together. Most 70+ people live in retirement and still get mentally confused from time to time. So let's say Paterno is sitting in his home office one day trying to mentally keep it together. Out of the blue some assistant comes to his house, tells him he witnessed in-appropriate behavior but did not mention anal intercourse or full on rape. If that's how it went down I don't have an issue with Paterno telling the assistant to go report the behavior and essentially leave it alone. I'm just having a hard time thinking Paterno knew exactly what Sandusky was doing.I had one big question about all of this. Do we know the race(s) the abused kids or if the majority fit a specific race? Here is why I'm wondering. I can't make sense of people hiding the sick acts of Sandusky. Just can't make sense of how a guy can do this for so long with so many people seeming to know and no one stopped him. So it got me thinking. Are the kids African American? Could we not only be dealing with people not protecting these innocent kids but could they be turning away because these kids are african american and in the eyes of many of them therefore not worth protecting? Just a wild brained theory on my part which really only would make this worse but I grew up in the deep south and I've seen some people treat black people as sub-human which is the only reason this thought popped in my mind because whatever race these kids were that's how they were treated, as sub-humans. Hell worse than that. I'd have reported Sandusky if I saw him raping a dog.

Wow - @Ben_Jones88 Scott Paterno, Joe's son, is working on setting up an off-campus presser for Paterno to speak at.

This could be the explosion everyone is looking for.
So it looks like JoePa's ego will be his ultimate undoing.
Nah. I bet this is more Scott's doing than his father's. I don't see Joe stepping out on his own against the wishes of the university. I just don't see it.
yeahits not like the man would do something like throw the president of the university out of his house or anything, he is pretty much a play by the rules guyhell even in the face of child rape he stuck within the chain of command!

I haven't followed this story but can someone give me the cliff notes as to why Paterno would be forced to resign if he knew nothing about it (not part of the investigation) and if he did know something, he did report it?

You should probably follow the story.

Abuse, cheat and Look the other way and if you keep winning it will go away.

Paterno's whole persona is based on not being one of those guys.
Looks like he fooled a lot of people for a long time.
link to him cheating to win?
I was talking about what the group has done, Paterno has never been caught cheating..but this is even worse IMO. The young boys lifes that were destroyed. JoePa should have been on Sandusky like he is on 5 Star recruits and not let up until this was taken care of at the time it happened. These types of things never go away for good.

I feel like I know enough about this to blame everyone involved except Paterno. He's still not off the hook but I need to know more. For instance did the Graduate assistant tell Paterno he witnessed full on anal intercourse or did he feel uncomfortable having that discussion with Paterno and phrased it like, "I saw Sandusky acting inappropriately with a young boy". Both are of course bad but require a major difference in actions.Let's not forget Paterno is an old man with a big job. Even though he's delegated lots of task it's still got to be a lot for an old man to keep together. Most 70+ people live in retirement and still get mentally confused from time to time. So let's say Paterno is sitting in his home office one day trying to mentally keep it together. Out of the blue some assistant comes to his house, tells him he witnessed in-appropriate behavior but did not mention anal intercourse or full on rape. If that's how it went down I don't have an issue with Paterno telling the assistant to go report the behavior and essentially leave it alone. I'm just having a hard time thinking Paterno knew exactly what Sandusky was doing.I had one big question about all of this. Do we know the race(s) the abused kids or if the majority fit a specific race? Here is why I'm wondering. I can't make sense of people hiding the sick acts of Sandusky. Just can't make sense of how a guy can do this for so long with so many people seeming to know and no one stopped him. So it got me thinking. Are the kids African American? Could we not only be dealing with people not protecting these innocent kids but could they be turning away because these kids are african american and in the eyes of many of them therefore not worth protecting? Just a wild brained theory on my part which really only would make this worse but I grew up in the deep south and I've seen some people treat black people as sub-human which is the only reason this thought popped in my mind because whatever race these kids were that's how they were treated, as sub-humans. Hell worse than that. I'd have reported Sandusky if I saw him raping a dog.
This thread is really strange.

I feel like I know enough about this to blame everyone involved except Paterno. He's still not off the hook but I need to know more. For instance did the Graduate assistant tell Paterno he witnessed full on anal intercourse or did he feel uncomfortable having that discussion with Paterno and phrased it like, "I saw Sandusky acting inappropriately with a young boy". Both are of course bad but require a major difference in actions.

Let's not forget Paterno is an old man with a big job. Even though he's delegated lots of task it's still got to be a lot for an old man to keep together. Most 70+ people live in retirement and still get mentally confused from time to time.

So let's say Paterno is sitting in his home office one day trying to mentally keep it together. Out of the blue some assistant comes to his house, tells him he witnessed in-appropriate behavior but did not mention anal intercourse or full on rape. If that's how it went down I don't have an issue with Paterno telling the assistant to go report the behavior and essentially leave it alone. I'm just having a hard time thinking Paterno knew exactly what Sandusky was doing.

I had one big question about all of this. Do we know the race(s) the abused kids or if the majority fit a specific race? Here is why I'm wondering. I can't make sense of people hiding the sick acts of Sandusky. Just can't make sense of how a guy can do this for so long with so many people seeming to know and no one stopped him. So it got me thinking. Are the kids African American? Could we not only be dealing with people not protecting these innocent kids but could they be turning away because these kids are african american and in the eyes of many of them therefore not worth protecting? Just a wild brained theory on my part which really only would make this worse but I grew up in the deep south and I've seen some people treat black people as sub-human which is the only reason this thought popped in my mind because whatever race these kids were that's how they were treated, as sub-humans. Hell worse than that. I'd have reported Sandusky if I saw him raping a dog.

listen

if someone says

"Person X was in a shower naked with a naked 10 year old boy doing sexual things" that is enough. At that the cops need to be notified, you need to follow up on this. End of story. Now, odds are that the GA, whose dad was there, was plenty graphic. IF not, and if Joe was not sure if this was innocent or not (because there is a lot of innocent fooling around naked with little boys in the shower :rolleyes: ) Joe could have asked more. IF he was not sure it was because he did not want to be. But again, HE described it as something sexual, that's enough to be morally obligated to follow up on.

I understand it is tough to see him fall, but he failed to do what any person should do.

And that ignores all the circumstantial evidence that suggests he may have known about this for a long time. What he admitted to to the grand jury is enough to condemn him. If he does not think so, I would ask him how he would react if someone told him his grandson was in a shower naked with a naked grown man doing something sexual.

He knew enough to have done something to stop it. He failed morally and ethically.

Joe is an old school scoundrel, guys like Joe, Switzer, Clem Haskins, Calipari, Tressell are all cut from the same cloth. Abuse, cheat and Look the other way and if you keep winning it will go away.

Yeah, giving some kid's mom a car in order to get him to play football at your school is a lot like keeping a child rapist in business.

This thread is really strange.
Joe has been propped up for decades as a symbol of virtue. Some people love seeing someone like that fall, others have a real hard time accepting it. If someone would have suggested this scenario a month ago i would have said they were insane. I can see where it would take people some timeLike Matt Millen. I hate me some Matt Millen, but I would expect that someone like him or Lavar could have trouble processing all of this and accepting it right off the bat. It is stunning

I feel like I know enough about this to blame everyone involved except Paterno. He's still not off the hook but I need to know more. For instance did the Graduate assistant tell Paterno he witnessed full on anal intercourse or did he feel uncomfortable having that discussion with Paterno and phrased it like, "I saw Sandusky acting inappropriately with a young boy". Both are of course bad but require a major difference in actions.

Let's not forget Paterno is an old man with a big job. Even though he's delegated lots of task it's still got to be a lot for an old man to keep together. Most 70+ people live in retirement and still get mentally confused from time to time.

So let's say Paterno is sitting in his home office one day trying to mentally keep it together. Out of the blue some assistant comes to his house, tells him he witnessed in-appropriate behavior but did not mention anal intercourse or full on rape. If that's how it went down I don't have an issue with Paterno telling the assistant to go report the behavior and essentially leave it alone. I'm just having a hard time thinking Paterno knew exactly what Sandusky was doing.

I had one big question about all of this. Do we know the race(s) the abused kids or if the majority fit a specific race? Here is why I'm wondering. I can't make sense of people hiding the sick acts of Sandusky. Just can't make sense of how a guy can do this for so long with so many people seeming to know and no one stopped him. So it got me thinking. Are the kids African American? Could we not only be dealing with people not protecting these innocent kids but could they be turning away because these kids are african american and in the eyes of many of them therefore not worth protecting? Just a wild brained theory on my part which really only would make this worse but I grew up in the deep south and I've seen some people treat black people as sub-human which is the only reason this thought popped in my mind because whatever race these kids were that's how they were treated, as sub-humans. Hell worse than that. I'd have reported Sandusky if I saw him raping a dog.

listen

if someone says

"Person X was in a shower naked with a naked 10 year old boy doing sexual things" that is enough. At that the cops need to be notified, you need to follow up on this. End of story. Now, odds are that the GA, whose dad was there, was plenty graphic. IF not, and if Joe was not sure if this was innocent or not (because there is a lot of innocent fooling around naked with little boys in the shower :rolleyes: ) Joe could have asked more. IF he was not sure it was because he did not want to be. But again, HE described it as something sexual, that's enough to be morally obligated to follow up on.

I understand it is tough to see him fall, but he failed to do what any person should do.

And that ignores all the circumstantial evidence that suggests he may have known about this for a long time. What he admitted to to the grand jury is enough to condemn him. If he does not think so, I would ask him how he would react if someone told him his grandson was in a shower naked with a naked grown man doing something sexual.

But that's just it, I don't know that the GA even said that much or did he just dance around it and say something like I saw inappropriate behavior?

I did not know his dad went with him to speak with Paterno. Honestly this story makes me to sick to follow it but I'll say this. The person I want to hear from more than anyone is not Paterno. I want to hear the GA say exactly what he told Paterno.

listen

if someone says

But that's just it, I don't know that the GA even said that much or did he just dance around it and say something like I saw inappropriate behavior?

I did not know his dad went with him to speak with Paterno. Honestly this story makes me to sick to follow it but I'll say this. The person I want to hear from more than anyone is not Paterno. I want to hear the GA say exactly what he told Paterno.

ok

if you hear

"old man in the shower doing something inappropriate with young boy" which Joe admittied to, THAT is enough. And if you are not sure that is enough, FIND OUT.

If someone wrote this as a story and made it into a major motion picture people would scoff and say that would never happen people would never turn the other eye since by nature most adults want to protect children. O/U on when this gets made into a movie?

not a big market for the subject matter

But that's just it, I don't know that the GA even said that much or did he just dance around it and say something like I saw inappropriate behavior?I did not know his dad went with him to speak with Paterno. Honestly this story makes me to sick to follow it but I'll say this. The person I want to hear from more than anyone is not Paterno. I want to hear the GA say exactly what he told Paterno.

Paterno testified that McQueary told him there was inappropriate sexual conduct between Sandusky and a 10ish year old boy. Even if you believe him* - isn't that enough for Paterno to follow up? To want to know why the University is allowing Sandusky to still hang out? Why he's not in jail?*I don't believe Paterno on this, by the way. There's no way that McQueary saw what he testified that he saw and all he told Paterno was there was some inappropriate touching. That's not remotely believable.

Random thoughts...I feel bad for anyone who got a degree in public relations from PSU

:goodposting: I've worked in PR before and had opportunities to get back into the game at the college level. Then stuff like this happens that scares the hell out of me and makes me thankful for how rarely my phone rings at home.
I work in PR, and if anyone thinks the PSU PR office has anything to do with the decisions that are being made right now, they are totally wrong. This is when it sucks to be in PR - when a bunch of higher-ups and/or lawyers make horrible and indefensible decisions, then turn around and tell you to go out there and "put a good spin on it."If they truly asked the PR guy how to handle this situation, he would say: fire Paterno and anyone else involved in this scandal immediately, announce the appointment of an independent special investigator in conjunction with the state Attorney General's office, and make an abject apology.

Kim Jones was just talking to Francesa on YES. She is a PSU grad and used to be a beat writer for the team. Kim was in Paterno's house a little while ago, and talked to his son Scott. He indicated (as reported above) that Joe is anxious to speak as soon as they can set something up. Kim presumed that Joe is indeed OUT as coach, as officials at Penn State did not want Joe commenting on anything while he is still a representative of the school. (At his age, who knows what he'll say ... blah blah blah).

She also reported that he met with his team and told them he knew NOTHING about Sandusky's actions, which is literally unbelievable.

Random thoughts...I feel bad for anyone who got a degree in public relations from PSU

:goodposting: I've worked in PR before and had opportunities to get back into the game at the college level. Then stuff like this happens that scares the hell out of me and makes me thankful for how rarely my phone rings at home.
I work in PR, and if anyone thinks the PSU PR office has anything to do with the decisions that are being made right now, they are totally wrong. This is when it sucks to be in PR - when a bunch of higher-ups and/or lawyers make horrible and indefensible decisions, then turn around and tell you to go out there and "put a good spin on it."If they truly asked the PR guy how to handle this situation, he would say: fire Paterno and anyone else involved in this scandal immediately, announce the appointment of an independent special investigator in conjunction with the state Attorney General's office, and make an abject apology.
and the professors teaching it have less to do, even when the PR office ####s up they just hld their nheads and yell MORONSstill, if i was interviewing someone today with a PR degree from PSU i would chuckle

Paterno himself used the phrase "sexual nature" in his grand jury testimony. That's all you need to know.There are NO circumstances under which "sexual nature" and "young boy" shouldn't lead to the police being called by Paterno.

from twitter:

GerrySandusky - Gerry Sandusky

A great big thank you to my late mom for choosing to spell my first name with a "G".

Did you hear about Touched? Edited by Sinn Fein

:no:

If someone wrote this as a story and made it into a major motion picture people would scoff and say that would never happen people would never turn the other eye since by nature most adults want to protect children. O/U on when this gets made into a movie?

If they won't make a motion picture about Cardinal Law's dealings with pedophile priests, there's not much chance you'll see one about Penn State. And, at least in Boston, in light of the Bernard Law incident, most people would find it very easy to believe that a person would choose to protect the institution over individual children.

okif you hear "old man in the shower doing something inappropriate with young boy" which Joe admittied to, THAT is enough. And if you are not sure that is enough, FIND OUT.

No I don't think if that's all Joe heard he needs to "follow up". I take it I'll be in the minority on this but he's a 70+ year old head coach of a major college power. He's got enough on his plate and playing investigator is not one of those things. He did what he I think he should do which is tell the GA to report it the correct parties and let them handle it. At this stage of the game Joe lacks the mental capacity to oversee every aspect of what goes on at Penn State or deal with every issue.

okif you hear "old man in the shower doing something inappropriate with young boy" which Joe admittied to, THAT is enough. And if you are not sure that is enough, FIND OUT.

No I don't think if that's all Joe heard he needs to "follow up". I take it I'll be in the minority on this but he's a 70+ year old head coach of a major college power. He's got enough on his plate and playing investigator is not one of those things. He did what he I think he should do which is tell the GA to report it the correct parties and let them handle it. At this stage of the game Joe lacks the mental capacity to oversee every aspect of what goes on at Penn State or deal with every issue.
NOTHING on his plate is more important than making sure children are not being molested in his locker roomNOHTINGhow hard is it to call the cops?to ask the AD, what the ####? to show some interest on some small level of keeping a preadtor off the streets

he lacks the mental capacity to know that sexually abusing children is wrong?

Dude, just stop.No one wants to hear he has a lot on his plate.He and his staff sit or have sat on couches at kids homes and recruit kids to come play at his school.He is OBLIGATED to make sure his staff is doing nothing to harm any of his kids at the school he represents.

Just another issue, a child being raped in your shower?Where the hell are you people coming from?

Just another issue, a child being raped in your shower?Where the hell are you people coming from?
"Wait...what? In the shower? OK, well I gotta go over the game plan for the OSU game and there's a boosters dinner tomorrow night so..."

ok

if you hear

"old man in the shower doing something inappropriate with young boy" which Joe admittied to, THAT is enough. And if you are not sure that is enough, FIND OUT.

Wow serious denial here.

ok

if you hear

Grand Jury report:

Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate supervisor, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Builing showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.

Approximately one and a half weeks later, the graduate assistant was called to a meeting with Penn State Athletic Director Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz ("Schultz"). The graduate assistant reported that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch Building showers. Curley and Schultz assured the graduate assistant that they would look into it and determine what further action they would take. Paterno was not present for this meeting.

The graduate assistant heard back from Curley a couple of weeks later. He was told that Sandusky's keys to the locker room were taken away and that the incident had been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant was never questioned by University Police and no other entity conducted an investigation until he testified in Grand Jury in December, 2010. The Grand Jury finds the graduate assistant's testimony to be extremely credible.

My Link

I know, I am shocked this guy is out on 100K bail.

You would think so but many aspects of this case remind me of the Catholic church with the way they often care more about protecting their priests more than the children.

I lived at an all-male Catholic boarding school for 5 years. A few of us kids were wary of some of the clergymen and would later find out that molestation absolutely went on. At one point we brought our concerns to one of the clergymen we felt we could trust and all he told us was they were aware that some of them were into deviant behavior and in those cases they tried to be more watchful. Yet, the school and these clergymen never told us kids who to be wary off or actually removed these clergymen from the school or did a whole lot to stop anything. In short they knew it went on and continued to allow these people access to young boys. It's as sick as what happened at Penn St. and together these story's leave me trusting no one to protect my kid other than me.

Jerry Sandusky is your next door neighbor - Matt Millen.Better ####### not be.

One of the older partners in our firm (who is a hard-core right wing truth and justice type who also bleeds blue and white) actually topped that-"Sandusky is really a nice guy. He obviously needs help." I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Yeah, he's probably the nicest serial pedophile rapist you've ever met."

Supposedly ESPN is reporting a 9th victim is coming forward accusing Sandusky of abuse. NYT is reportsing PSU is planning Paterno's exit

Over under at 13 stepping forward. Real number is probably at least double that.
Call be crazy, but 13 sounds low. This has been going on since at 1998 when he first got caught.
most of these kids won't want to step forward. not sure they need to at this point.
The civil lawsuits are undoubtedly coming. People will have a financial incentive to come forward.
one report I saw suggested that the school might not be able to survive all the settlements...

Dude, just stop.No one wants to hear he has a lot on his plate.He and his staff sit or have sat on couches at kids homes and recruit kids to come play at his school.He is OBLIGATED to make sure his staff is doing nothing to harm any of his kids at the school he represents.
No I won't stop and no I'm not fishing. Unlike all of you I'm not ready to condemn a man when I don't know all the facts. I said it before and I'll say it for the last time. Until I know what the GA said to Paterno I'm not going to pass judegement. Either way I think Paterno is finished as head coach at Penn State no matter what the GA said to him. What is at stake here is his legacy and how he'll be remembered. As for obligation to his players. I know people don't want to let facts get in the way here but when Paterno was informed of the shower incident Sandusky was not a member of his staff.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the school will be destroyed by this scandal. Spanier, Paterno, all of them need to be gone yesterday!! What in the hell are they thinking?? Who is in charge of PR at this university? It's done, they need to get out of there, all of them! I better see that they have all been fired or resigned by the end of the day. And don't give me this due process BS, read the grand jury report. The scum doesnt deserve due process imo. Remember, this is just the stuff that we know about now. I can only imagine what else there is out there that we don't know about.

Paterno had nothing else to do except police this type of crap. Do you people think he is still drawing up game plans????

No. Doners wanted to force him out many times to hire Greg Schiano or Al Golden.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the school will be destroyed by this scandal. Spanier, Paterno, all of them need to be gone yesterday!! What in the hell are they thinking?? Who is in charge of PR at this university? It's done, they need to get out of there, all of them!

:goodposting:

Until I know what the GA said to Paterno I'm not going to pass judegement.

Will you ever? It's one's word against the other's. I think the GA told the GJ he told explicit details of what he saw. Paterno says there were no details.

As for obligation to his players. I know people don't want to let facts get in the way here but when Paterno was informed of the shower incident Sandusky was not a member of his staff.

So if he was a member of the staff, is it then justifiable to clear a few things off your plate and notify the proper authorities of a felonious act occurring in your workplace? Just trying to pick up on where the line is here.

ok

if you hear

Dude, just stop.

No one wants to hear he has a lot on his plate.

He and his staff sit or have sat on couches at kids homes and recruit kids to come play at his school.

He is OBLIGATED to make sure his staff is doing nothing to harm any of his kids at the school he represents.

No I won't stop and no I'm not fishing. Unlike all of you I'm not ready to condemn a man when I don't know all the facts.

I said it before and I'll say it for the last time. Until I know what the GA said to Paterno I'm not going to pass judegement.

Either way I think Paterno is finished as head coach at Penn State no matter what the GA said to him. What is at stake here is his legacy and how he'll be remembered.

As for obligation to his players. I know people don't want to let facts get in the way here but when Paterno was informed of the shower incident Sandusky was not a member of his staff.

No, that has pretty much been decided.

No I won't stop and no I'm not fishing. Unlike all of you I'm not ready to condemn a man when I don't know all the facts. I said it before and I'll say it for the last time. Until I know what the GA said to Paterno I'm not going to pass judegement.

Read the grand jury report.

No I won't stop and no I'm not fishing. Unlike all of you I'm not ready to condemn a man when I don't know all the facts.

I said it before and I'll say it for the last time. Until I know what the GA said to Paterno I'm not going to pass judegement.

So, when Joe described it as "doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy", that wasn't enough to convince you? You needed greater detail than that?

Under what circumstances is "doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy" not descriptive enough?