What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

I genuinely am wondering if there is anything I should say to someone. The guy continues to be in the same type of position he was in 20 years ago with the same access to kids. I honestly would not be shocked if a Sandusky-type story comes out on this guy before he dies. You tread carefully in bringing something like this to light. Has too much time passed? If you were the president of ________ University and you got a letter/email/phone call with the facts I explained above, would you have concern?
I'm not convinced you're not going for shtick but if this is legitimate then you should go discuss it with his boss. Preferably in person. It's a very serious accusation to level against someone.

I genuinely am wondering if there is anything I should say to someone. The guy continues to be in the same type of position he was in 20 years ago with the same access to kids. I honestly would not be shocked if a Sandusky-type story comes out on this guy before he dies. You tread carefully in bringing something like this to light. Has too much time passed? If you were the president of ________ University and you got a letter/email/phone call with the facts I explained above, would you have concern?
I'm not the right person to give advice on what to do, but hopefully there are others on this board more qualified to advise you on this matter. Certainly sounds like he was bordering on sexual molestation with you and I tend to agree that his procedures to lure you from his crowded house to a locked room in a church basement is highly inappropriate and suggestive of a deviant pattern of behavior. I'm not sure what you should do, but I am curious what others will tell you.

Of course I would have concern if it were brought to my attention.Is there an public record you can check to see if any charges were ever brought up?Someone in the neighboring state that you can contact to see if any rumors or accusations have been made?

I'm not convinced you're not going for shtick but if this is legitimate then you should go discuss it with his boss. Preferably in person. It's a very serious accusation to level against someone.
Absolutely not shtick. My idea of good shtick doesn't involve me fessing up to the fact a grown man was able to talk me into unbuttoning my pants for him. I am 100% serious. I won't add any "shocking new details" or try to take this any new directions...this Sandusky story just brought this back on the front burner for me.

Go ahead and call me dense along with host of other insults I've had in this thread but I stand by what I said and that is I'm giving Paterno the chance to explain himself before I pass judgement. I'm no Penn St. alumni or fan but I've watched Paterno from afar for along time with great appreciation and I'm having a difficult time coming to grips with the fact he could have been this uncaring. I'm going to give him the chance to explain, than I'll make my opinion.
I've asked before but I'll ask again: is there ANY valid explanation for Paterno's failure to notify the police?Joe Paterno has already admitted that he was told about "something of a sexual nature" between Sandusky and a young boy.

What could Paterno possibly say now that would justify, in your eyes, his failure to ensure that the police were told about that?

Paterno is gone as head coach. Only question is WHEN. Next... after all this news has hit the fan publicly, how many more kids come out of the woodwork saying they were abused as well? Shirley it was more than just these eight.
Al Golden must feel happy he's not at Penn St right now :mellow:

I couldn't tell from the timeline, how old were you? It sounded like you might have been 18, and at 18, that's not molestation.

I'm all for a house cleaning, including Big Joe. But how come the pitch forks aren't after Spanier and McQueary on the same level as Joe? Just wondering.
This is easy to answer: Because Joe Pa is Penn State, he is more powerful than probably any one person in the state and has been for decades. He is ultimately responsible for letting this continue when he could have easily stopped it. Are there people more to blame? Sure. But the bottom line is that senior leaders in any field, any business any government, are responsible for the actions of their employees. When you take it a step further and the boss is aware of the problem but does nothing to fix it, then you start talking about direct culpability. When a general or a CEO gets fired no one hears about the people in the office who committed the fraud or drew up the faulty battle plan. We hear about the failure of the general or CEO. That guy is this scenario is JoePa. He worked for no one at Penn State, he could have prevented this from getting completely out of hand from a public relations/security/morality standpoint.

ETA: sp

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't tell from the timeline, how old were you? It sounded like you might have been 18, and at 18, that's not molestation.
I didn't turn 18 until spring break of my senior year. I stopped taking lessons from him at the end of my junior year, so I was 16-17 at the time.

'Old Smoky said:
'Dr%2E%20Awesome said:
%26%2339%3BOld Smoky said:
Absolutely not shtick. My idea of good shtick doesn't involve me fessing up to the fact a grown man was able to talk me into unbuttoning my pants for him. I am 100% serious. I won't add any "shocking new details" or try to take this any new directions...this Sandusky story just brought this back on the front burner for me.
Okay. Sometimes people fish in threads they have no business fishing. What he did was clearly inappropriate. You know this now even if you didn't quite realize it then. If it happened as you described and he's still in a similar position then imo you should absolutely contact his boss. I'm extremely skeptical that was the only time he did something inappropriate. I'm in no way shape or form an expert. I'm interested in seeing what the opinion of others will be. But I think you going to speak to his boss will help you feel much better if for no reason but to get this off your chest. Good luck. :thumbup:

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Billy Bats said:
I'm all for a house cleaning, including Big Joe. But how come the pitch forks aren't after Spanier and McQueary on the same level as Joe? Just wondering.
This is easy to answer. Because Joe Pa is Penn State, he is more powerful than probably any one person in the state and has been for decades. He is ultimately responsible for letting this continue when he could have easily stopped it. Are there people more to blame? Sure. But the bottom line is that senior leaders in any field, any business any government, are responsible for the actions of their employees. When you take it a step further and the boss is aware of the problem but does nothing to fix it, then you start talking about direct culpability. When a general or a CEO gets fired no one hears about the people in the office who committed the fraud or drew up the faulty battle plan. We hear about the failure of the general or CEO. That guy is this scenario is JoePa. He worked for no one at Penn State, he could have prevented this from getting completely out of hand from a public relations/security/morality standpoint.
which makes his "i passed it on to the AD" excuse even more pathetic. You're the top dog, it didn't stop with you, you're responsible and you need to be fired.

'Old Smoky said:
'Dr%2E%20Awesome said:
Okay. Sometimes people fish in threads they have no business fishing. What he did was clearly inappropriate. You know this now even if you didn't quite realize it then. If it happened as you described and he's still in a similar position then imo you should absolutely contact his boss. I'm extremely skeptical that was the only time he did something inappropriate. I'm in no way shape or form an expert. I'm interested in seeing what the opinion of others will be. But I think you going to speak to his boss will help you feel much better if for no reason but to get this off your chest. Good luck. :thumbup:
unfortunately for smoky it's basically a "he said, he said" matter...unless there are others willing to come forward, that's what he'll be stuck with:2cents:

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Billy Bats said:
When a general or a CEO gets fired no one hears about the people in the office who committed the fraud or drew up the faulty battle plan. We hear about the failure of the general or CEO. That guy is this scenario is JoePa. He worked for no one at Penn State, he could have prevented this from getting completely out of hand from a public relations/security/morality standpoint.ETA: sp
Good points. People did even less that Joe, and he's taking the brunt force for all of them. I guess that what comes with the responsibility of being the face and icon that Joe is. Which after thinking about it, makes even more sense that they're after him moreso than the others. When this first broke, I debated like others, that he did enough by reporting it to school admins, the chain of command argument. But the more I read, listen, learn and realize just how big he is and what he represents, then he failed miserably. His responsibility, arguably, is even greater than the school's president. I'm seeing the bigger picture now. What a shame. He's ruined a lifelong legacy with his inactions.

'Old Smoky said:
'Dr%2E%20Awesome said:
unfortunately for smoky it's basically a "he said, he said" matter...unless there are others willing to come forward, that's what he'll be stuck with:2cents:
If I were a boss and someone came to me with this story about one of my employees you can be sure I'd make sure they were following a certain protocol. At the very least I would use extreme caution letting them around children by themselves. If they're innocent they (and me/my group) don't need these kind of false accusations. Better be safe by taking steps similar to what GM described earlier when he said he can't drive kids unless another adult is present.

'Billy Bats said:
I'm all for a house cleaning, including Big Joe. But how come the pitch forks aren't after Spanier and McQueary on the same level as Joe? Just wondering. How stupid were they to begin with in 1999 after the University's police force had Sandusky under investigation. AT THAT POINT, say it's been great having you work here Jer, but now it's time for you to go. Take retirement and be on your way. Don't care where you go, but you can't stay here. Don't even visit Jer, and don't bother with a postcard either. No, INSTEAD they give the ####### guy emeritus status and let the ####### guy run amok with more children ON THEIR GROUNDS. They should all be fired for that alone. So ####### stupid and disgusting. I said it 10 pages ago, they're all enablers. Every last ####### one of them and they should all have been gone by now.
i have not heard one person say the president should stay, even joepa defenders want him gone

'Old Smoky said:
'Dr%2E%20Awesome said:
That's true for the first person to come forward in all these situations. Maybe right now all they have is one person who sent an email 5 years ago with a similar story. Getting that second email may trigger something. I wouldn't worry about "being stuck with" anything. He's not trying to open up his own personal legal case right now. Report it. Be available to answer questions. Continue with your life.

'Billy Bats said:
i have not heard one person say the president should stay, even joepa defenders want him gone
I think Spanier is taking just as much heat as JoePa, if not more.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Billy Bats said:
When a general or a CEO gets fired no one hears about the people in the office who committed the fraud or drew up the faulty battle plan. We hear about the failure of the general or CEO. That guy is this scenario is JoePa. He worked for no one at Penn State, he could have prevented this from getting completely out of hand from a public relations/security/morality standpoint.ETA: sp
Good points. People did even less that Joe, and he's taking the brunt force for all of them. I guess that what comes with the responsibility of being the face and icon that Joe is. Which after thinking about it, makes even more sense that they're after him moreso than the others. When this first broke, I debated like others, that he did enough by reporting it to school admins, the chain of command argument. But the more I read, listen, learn and realize just how big he is and what he represents, then he failed miserably. His responsibility, arguably, is even greater than the school's president. I'm seeing the bigger picture now. What a shame. He's ruined a lifelong legacy with his inactions.
Sorry, but this feels like BS.He is in hot water directly because he passed the buck, when he should have done something. It has nothing to do with his "role" as a figurehead of the college. Any head coach in this situation shoudl have done more than Paterno did - he knows it.

His responsibility stems from learning that someone he knew was potentially using the Penn State facilities to fondle young boys.

Even under the best light, as noted above, GA came to visit him Saturday morning, he did not even call the AD until Sunday. What did he do from Saturday morning until Sunday that was so important that he thought this could wait?

'AmosMoses said:
'Uwe Blab said:
Huge student rally supporting JoePa is planned tonight outside his house.
Ugh.
Annnnnnd there goes national respect for Penn State in my lifetime.
Kids are dumb.
Agreed, plus people are still reacting with disbelief, as many in this thread did initially. It takes a little while for the truth to soak in So I won't judge Penn St. by these clueless college kids' actions.My opinion of Penn State will be set on how they handle this the next couple of days.They have suffered an appalling institutional failure - I hope they do the right things now rather than going into "institutional protection mode".

I'm sure it's come up in the last 13 pages of this thread but if anyone hasn't read the indictment yet you should. I am on Victim #3 right now and I wouldn't piss on JoPa if was on fire in front of me. Every single person in that indictment that knew what happened has to go, right now. The president of the university should immediately fire every ####### one of them and then resign. This is some incredibly sick stuff and to let it go on and on and on is just inexcusable.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Billy Bats said:
Sorry, but this feels like BS.He is in hot water directly because he passed the buck, when he should have done something. It has nothing to do with his "role" as a figurehead of the college. Any head coach in this situation shoudl have done more than Paterno did - he knows it.

His responsibility stems from learning that someone he knew was potentially using the Penn State facilities to fondle young boys.

Even under the best light, as noted above, GA came to visit him Saturday morning, he did not even call the AD until Sunday. What did he do from Saturday morning until Sunday that was so important that he thought this could wait?
What's so BS about it? I'm telling you I'm realizing that he has a bigger responsibility that anyone at the school. :confused:

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Billy Bats said:

He's much, much more than a figurehead (at least he was when this was happening). What he is is a man responsible of the health and well-being of over 100 student athletes, a mentor, a leader and a high ranking official that wields tremendous power in the community and in the state. I agree with your stance but I also don't think you should downplay Paterno's importance and the responsibility he has to probably thousands of people.

I'm sure it's come up in the last 13 pages of this thread but if anyone hasn't read the indictment yet you should. I am on Victim #3 right now and I wouldn't piss on JoPa if was on fire in front of me. Every single person in that indictment that knew what happened has to go, right now. The president of the university should immediately fire every ####### one of them and then resign. This is some incredibly sick stuff and to let it go on and on and on is just inexcusable.
link?

'Sconch said:
'JZilla said:
'menobrown said:
'B-Deep said:
okif you hear "old man in the shower doing something inappropriate with young boy" which Joe admittied to, THAT is enough. And if you are not sure that is enough, FIND OUT.
No I don't think if that's all Joe heard he needs to "follow up". I take it I'll be in the minority on this but he's a 70+ year old head coach of a major college power. He's got enough on his plate and playing investigator is not one of those things. He did what he I think he should do which is tell the GA to report it the correct parties and let them handle it. At this stage of the game Joe lacks the mental capacity to oversee every aspect of what goes on at Penn State or deal with every issue.
Just another issue, a child being raped in your shower?Where the hell are you people coming from?
"Wait...what? In the shower? OK, well I gotta go over the game plan for the OSU game and there's a boosters dinner tomorrow night so..."
No game to worry about, since the news was reported to Paterno on a Saturday morning in March. In his defense, his day may have been booked with a Matlock marathon. Blame TBS.

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
'johnnycakes said:
'Joseph said:
one report I saw suggested that the school might not be able to survive all the settlements...
it's a state school. Will the state of PA survive all the settlements?
this thread is like Groundhog Day or Memento.
You need to calm down and relax. Not all of us can refresh and read EVERY posting in here.

why would they leave info in the indictment which amounts to basically a roadmap to identify victim #4? There are a lot of homers out there that could really do some damage here.

'AmosMoses said:
'Uwe Blab said:
Huge student rally supporting JoePa is planned tonight outside his house.
Ugh.
Annnnnnd there goes national respect for Penn State in my lifetime.
Kids are dumb.
Speaking of dumb, my spideysense is telling me there's gonna be some violence going down on JoePa's front lawn tonight.
I'm going to start fires in Sandusky, Ohio for good measure. That'll teach Joe Pa.

'Aaron Rudnicki said:
'johnnycakes said:
'Joseph said:
one report I saw suggested that the school might not be able to survive all the settlements...
it's a state school. Will the state of PA survive all the settlements?
this thread is like Groundhog Day or Memento.
You need to calm down and relax. Not all of us can refresh and read EVERY posting in here.
CALM DOWN!

He's much, much more than a figurehead (at least he was when this was happening). What he is is a man responsible of the health and well-being of over 100 student athletes, a mentor, a leader and a high ranking official that wields tremendous power in the community and in the state. I agree with your stance but I also don't think you should downplay Paterno's importance and the responsibility he has to probably thousands of people.
I agree that he is the most important person in Happy Valley - my point was simply that his position as "all-powerful" was not why he failed in this instance. The post I was responding too suggested that he failed some sort of "higher burden" as a result of his influence. Any head coach at any university should have done more than Paterno did here, based simply on the allegations alone.

why would they leave info in the indictment which amounts to basically a roadmap to identify victim #4? There are a lot of homers out there that could really do some damage here.
because they need to provide enough info to establish all elements of the charge

link?
Sorry, figured it was in here already. Either work finehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/documents/sandusky-grand-jury-report11052011.htmlhttp://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/264788/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf

because they need to provide enough info to establish all elements of the charge
Why is this needed in the public domain? (The defining characteristics parts) I'm not a lawyer. That document is sickening. I really hope they find a way to put joepa behind bars. That would be awesome.Also in the camp they should disband the football program there for a few years. At least as long as SMU

link?
Sorry, figured it was in here already. Either work finehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/documents/sandusky-grand-jury-report11052011.htmlhttp://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/264788/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf
Wow, Victim #1 sounds like Tim's story on how this sicko would crack Victim 1's back :(

How can you have a game with a stadium filled with cheering people this weekend in Happy Valley?

Cancelled or rescheduled but their shouldn't be a game this weekend. Play the game with no fans or tv coverage if you must.

'Old Smoky said:
I genuinely am wondering if there is anything I should say to someone. The guy continues to be in the same type of position he was in 20 years ago with the same access to kids. I honestly would not be shocked if a Sandusky-type story comes out on this guy before he dies. You tread carefully in bringing something like this to light. Has too much time passed? If you were the president of ________ University and you got a letter/email/phone call with the facts I xplained above, would you have concern?
If I were in your shoes, I'd make a few phone calls to professional vocal coaches and find out from them if what your coach was doing to you was a legitimate teaching technique. If they say BS, then your decision to go forward may be easier.

link?
Wow, Victim #1 sounds like Tim's story on how this sicko would crack Victim 1's back :(
Coach I heard you were raping little boys. Please don't bring those little boys around here anymore.

link?
Worse than I thought. So they know of eight victims, I'd have to guess there are at least twice that many if not more. All of this could have been stopped, looks like at least 15 people or so knew about this at one time or another. I can't believe Paterno has not been stepped down or been fired. They might as well just forfeit this weekend.

'Old Smoky said:
This story is disturbing. I'm posting under an alias because I want to share an experience from my childhood and get feedback on what, if anything, might be appropriate to do.I got involved in the choir at school when I was in Jr. High. I had a decent voice and really got involved in choir - making all-region, all-state choirs for the next several years. When I was in 10th grade, my Jr. High choir director recommended me to a guy for voice lessons. The guy was relatively well-known locally - he directed a large adult community choir and was a the music director of a prominent local church. Several kids in our high school went to him for private voice lessons including two of my best friends. The guy was as nice as they come...had a great family, adopted kids, wife, big house, etc. During the first year I took lessons, the lessons took place at his house. My friend and I would drive across town - I would do homework while my friend had his 30-minute lesson; then we would swap. Lessons were in the front music room, lots of kids and family members in the house...no big deal.At some point, we started having lessons at his church. I honestly don't remember why, and I don't remember exactly when. But for whatever reason - maybe because of scheduling with other activities I had - I would drive over to his church and have my lesson in the choir room in the basement of the church. At this point, my friends' lessons were on other days, so no one else was with me. The details of how things progressed are foggy (this was nearly 20 years ago), but several times during my lessons, we would be focused on proper breathing. Anyone who has done formal singing knows the importance of breathing from your diaphragm as opposed to your chest. I've had several instructors place their hand on my side during lessons to emphasize the sides expanding when you inhale. This instructor did that and would comment on how tense I was...that I was ticklish, etc. From there, he suggested I needed to let him use a roller on my back to relieve tension. So he takes me to the music library down the hall from the choir room, closes the door and has me lay down on my stomach on a piece of foam. From the very beginning, I was extremely uncomfortable. The first time or two I think he either used a roller device or his hands (probably both) on my shoulders and lower back. The last time this happened, I specifically recall him locking the door to the library, and then after he had started his "massage," asking me to loosen my jeans so he could get to my lower back better. Nothing ever went further than that, because at some point a cleaning person tried to open the door, and I think he got flustered and we left. I don't remember anything ever happening again. Nothing ever happened that would constitute a crime, but it seems in hindsight that's where it likely was headed. I remember driving home that day in a daze going back and forth between "WTF" and "surely I'm just misreading this...he wouldn't do that..." I was not some "Second Mile" kid. I had a great two-parent family, 2-sport athlete, class president, girlfriend, etc. But somehow I let things go as far as they did because I couldn't bring myself to believe that a guy as "good" as this guy would do something like that. I've told my parents and wife about this in the past 20 years, and every time I say out loud what happened, I cringe as to how obvious the indecency of this is from the outside looking in. Even now, my heart started beating faster typing this out. My concern over these many years has been the fact that he's taught hundreds of kids voice lessons. He has since moved away and is a college professor in a neighboring state. If he was willing to push the envelope with a 16-year-old kid like me, what might he have done to a younger kid in a lesser situation? At different times over the past several years, I've wished I could give someone a heads up to just keep an eye on him. Again, though he didn't commit a crime with me, I honestly would be shocked if it didn't happen with someone else. Is there anything you would do in my situation?
I would find some old friends from junior high on facebook and swap stories, to start with. You seem like a reasonably normal human being. For you to have the visceral reaction you're having now - 20 years later - suggests that something more than innocent breathing technique work was going on at the time.

Worse than I thought. So they know of eight victims, I'd have to guess there are at least twice that many if not more. All of this could have been stopped, looks like at least 15 people or so knew about this at one time or another. I can't believe Paterno has not been stepped down or been fired. They might as well just forfeit this weekend.
Paterno will say that he was never aware of all the allegations against Sandusky.And that would mean that either Paterno or McQueary is a liar.And if McQueary is a liar, why is Paterno keeping him on staff?

Paterno will say that he was never aware of all the allegations against Sandusky.And that would mean that either Paterno or McQueary is a liar.And if McQueary is a liar, why is Paterno keeping him on staff?
I don't think that is the case.
Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on aSaturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno calledTim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to hishome the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen JerrySandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to ayoung boy.

Yikes.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Fox 29 has learned the number of child-abuse in the Penn State sex-abuse scandal involving ex-coach Jerry Sandusky has more than doubled in the past day, and is closer to 20 victims.There were eight victims named in the grand jury presentment and 40 charges leveled against Sandusky, a long-time assistant to Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno. Paterno was not named in the grand jury finding as violating any laws.
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/local_sports/exclusive%3A-victims-double-in-penn-state-case-110811

Users who are viewing this thread