What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

I haven't followed this story but can someone give me the cliff notes as to why Paterno would be forced to resign if he knew nothing about it (not part of the investigation) and if he did know something, he did report it?
You should probably follow the story.
I took your advice and the more I read, the more pissed I get and am amazed that Joe still has a job.

I just don't understand who at the University thinks it is a good idea to let Paterno and McQueary coach this weekend.. :wall: There could be riots and fights in the stadium between our own fans.I'll bet ESPN is loving this one from a ratings perspective. At this point, how can you NOT watch?
Who's gonna get rid of them? The ones guilty are the ones in charge.Think about it for a moment. How does Penn State go about "cleaning house"? Who has enough clout to pull that off that isn't involved in this?Registrar: "Ok, Mr. President, Joe Paterno, and all of your staff....pack up your things and get out"
That is a good point. The inmates are in charge of the asylum. I hope I am wrong right now in thinking that the only ones with power right now might be the fans and the players. If Paterno and McQueary are at the game, I might puke.
By all appearances, the student fans, and likely the players, want JoePa to stay in power.Long live the king!

Why is the shower incident softened by the reference of sexual assault? Why not call it what it is ... rape?
:goodposting: language is extremely important here. Child can not give effective consent to any sexual contact with adults. ANY sexual activity between a child and adult is rape, period. The practice of using euphemisms only helps create a situation where a serial child rapist can be caught in the act and allowed to continue their heinous practices.
This just sound worse by the minute.When a woman is raped, it is the breaking lead in a NY news station with where the incident happened, a sketch ID of the suspect...and a number for anyone with information to call the number on the screen.We know the suspect, in fact, he is free as of now to rape again if he wants.I don't know if there is any legal distinction between rape and sexual assault, but these kids were violated in the worse way.Sexual assault can be groping in some peoples mind.

my daughter is a student at U Park. She said last night was surreal. There were (her words) "riots" all through the night with students taking sides regarding Paterno.. It all started with 200-300 kids at Paternos house. Then moved to the stadium. Then Old Main Lawn. Then Beaver Avenue downtown. oof :no:

I worry about Saturday when drunken, emotional alumni join the fray. :(

Why is the shower incident softened by the reference of sexual assault?

Why not call it what it is ... rape?
:goodposting: language is extremely important here. Child can not give effective consent to any sexual contact with adults. ANY sexual activity between a child and adult is rape, period. The practice of using euphemisms only helps create a situation where a serial child rapist can be caught in the act and allowed to continue their heinous practices.
This just sound worse by the minute.When a woman is raped, it is the breaking lead in a NY news station with where the incident happened, a sketch ID of the suspect...and a number for anyone with information to call the number on the screen.

We know the suspect, in fact, he is free as of now to rape again if he wants.

I don't know if there is any legal distinction between rape and sexual assault, but these kids were violated in the worse way.

Sexual assault can be groping in some peoples mind.
I was naive and thought the guy got caught tickling a young boy in the shower. But to hear that it was anal sex on a 10 year old, I am even more disgusted. Shame on Penn St. Wow, just wow. It's rape, nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:
my daughter is a student at U Park. She said last night was surreal. There were (her words) "riots" all through the night with students taking sides regarding Paterno.. It all started with 200-300 kids at Paternos house. Then moved to the stadium. Then Old Main Lawn. Then Beaver Avenue downtown. oof :no: I worry about Saturday when drunken, emotional alumni join the fray. :(
This is what inaction breeds. The longer they (whoever is in charge if anyone) let this go the worse it's going to get. A committee to do a full investigation is probably appropriate, but anyone implicated has to be suspended or put on leave while it's happening.

Serious question: Do we we know the Board of Trustee isn't involved in this either? Could that conceivably be possible as well?
Their response, or lack thereof tells me this goes up.
They responded, by delaying a decision.
yeah- I did hear on ESPN that since it is a state organization, they need proper public notice of meetings where decisions are made. This was an emergency meeting. Friday is their scheduled and duly advertised meeting.I can only hope they suspend or fire all involved before the game

my daughter is a student at U Park. She said last night was surreal. There were (her words) "riots" all through the night with students taking sides regarding Paterno.. It all started with 200-300 kids at Paternos house. Then moved to the stadium. Then Old Main Lawn. Then Beaver Avenue downtown. oof :no:

I worry about Saturday when drunken, emotional alumni join the fray. :(
This is what inaction breeds. The longer they (whoever is in charge if anyone) let this go the worse it's going to get. A committee to do a full investigation is probably appropriate, but anyone implicated has to be suspended or put on leave while it's happening.
This.

I want these people to burn as much as the next guy, but just quit with the 'Pedo State' crap. It makes you look juvenile and stupid. Emphasis on stupid.

my daughter is a student at U Park. She said last night was surreal. There were (her words) "riots" all through the night with students taking sides regarding Paterno.. It all started with 200-300 kids at Paternos house. Then moved to the stadium. Then Old Main Lawn. Then Beaver Avenue downtown. oof :no: I worry about Saturday when drunken, emotional alumni join the fray. :(
Hopefuly a lot of slapping and punching is done by the alumni. Either these students are brainwashed, uneducated becasuse they don't have kids themselves, or just morons that think football is life. I really can't tell which one they are

I just don't understand who at the University thinks it is a good idea to let Paterno and McQueary coach this weekend.. :wall:

There could be riots and fights in the stadium between our own fans.

I'll bet ESPN is loving this one from a ratings perspective. At this point, how can you NOT watch?
I've been following this story very closely and haven't watched a minute of ESPN. :shrug:

Hopefuly a lot of slapping and punching is done by the alumni. Either these students are brainwashed, uneducated becasuse they don't have kids themselves, or just morons that think football is life. I really can't tell which one they are
:goodposting:I simply do not understand how people can support Paterno in this. He is as responsible, if not more responsible, as Curley and Schultz. Paterno knew what Sandusky was doing, and he failed to see that it stopped. And he failed to report it to law enforcement. Paterno is in charge at Penn State. Spanier is the president, but Paterno is in charge. It is just incomprehensible how people support Paterno and want him to stick around. I don't get it.

Serious question: Do we we know the Board of Trustee isn't involved in this either? Could that conceivably be possible as well?
Their response, or lack thereof tells me this goes up.
They responded, by delaying a decision.
yeah- I did hear on ESPN that since it is a state organization, they need proper public notice of meetings where decisions are made. This was an emergency meeting. Friday is their scheduled and duly advertised meeting.I can only hope they suspend or fire all involved before the game
PSU is not a state organization. They are a state-related university. There are state officials who are on the board of trustees, but they are an independent organization.

If they don't fire paterno can the bowls refuse to take penn state? Will the big 10 step in and force them to stop playing? NCAA?

I just don't understand who at the University thinks it is a good idea to let Paterno and McQueary coach this weekend.. :wall:

I'll bet ESPN is loving this one from a ratings perspective. At this point, how can you NOT watch?
I've been following this story very closely and haven't watched a minute of ESPN. :shrug:
I assumed he was referring to the PSU-Nebraska game being on ESPN this Saturday. I rarely watch college football, but I'll tune in for the beginning of that game.

The more I've thought about it, Mike McQueary is as big a coward as they come.

This guy witnessed Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy in the shower. OK, I get that initially there may have just been so much shock that he didn't know what to do. I'm willing to give the guy a pass on not breaking it up on the spot. But after he reported it and nothing was done, how do you just act like you never saw what you saw? How do you continue to come to work every day in that facility knowing the guy that you personally watched rape a boy not only still has an office there and "emeritus" status, but that he continues to work with these Second Mile boys and continues to bring them to practice and hold overnight camps? How do you sleep at night? How do you live with yourself? How do you not say to yourself, "This is wrong, and if nobody else is going to do anything about it, I am, consequences be damned."?

Gutless coward.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the State of Pennsylvania needs to step in... NOW!This thing is rotten at the top. Spanier and the board of trustees will not do anything immediate because they are trying to protect their own hides.
The governor is on the board. So he was part of the group who thought that swift decisive action was to form a committee. Then again, he's one voice in a group of 48. Maybe he doesn't have as much power to do something as we'd like to think. But he could at least come out and make a statement. Leadership surrounding this whole thing is surprisingly absent.

The more I've thought about it, Mike McQueary is as big a coward as they come.This guy witnessed Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy in the shower. OK, I get that initially there may have just been so much shock that he didn't know what to do. I'm willing to give the guy a pass on not breaking it up on the spot. But after he reported it and nothing was done, how do you just act like you never saw what you saw? How do you continue to come to work every day in that facility knowing the guy that you personally watched rape a boy not only still has an office there and "emeritus" status, but that he continues to work with these Second Mile boys and continues to bring them to practice and hold overnight camps? How do you sleep at night? How do you live with yourself? How do you not say to yourself, "This is wrong, and if nobody else is going to do anything about it, I am, consequences be damned."?Gutless coward.
:goodposting:

I assumed he was referring to the PSU-Nebraska game being on ESPN this Saturday. I rarely watch college football, but I'll tune in for the beginning of that game.
Ahhh, OK. Thought he was referring to the ongoing coverage. Yeah, I'm sure the ratings for the beginning of that game will be through the roof.

The more I've thought about it, Mike McQueary is as big a coward as they come.This guy witnessed Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy in the shower. OK, I get that initially there may have just been so much shock that he didn't know what to do. I'm willing to give the guy a pass on not breaking it up on the spot. But after he reported it and nothing was done, how do you just act like you never saw what you saw? How do you continue to come to work every day in that facility knowing the guy that you personally watched rape a boy not only still has an office there and "emeritus" status, but that he continues to work with these Second Mile boys and continues to bring them to practice and hold overnight camps? How do you sleep at night? How do you live with yourself? How do you not say to yourself, "This is wrong, and if nobody else is going to do anything about it, I am, consequences be damned."?Gutless coward.
This...I don't know how that guy can look himself in the mirror.

McQueary's on a recruiting trip??? Seriously? The guy's a total scum and everybody now knows it and they want to send him out to represent PSU? Wow....just Wow

I meant the game on Saturday

Completely on board here. And not just that "he reported it." HE TOLD HIS ####### DAD! What are you in 4th grade?Get some ####### balls dude.

Agree 100%, matter of fact I said about the same thing a few posts above yours. to further implicate another individual, what about his dad? Whose sage advice was to leave. Not grab the kid, not call the cops but leave.

I've heard speculation re: McQueary that going from grad assistant to the position he currently holds (WR coach, head of recruiting) is pretty meteoric and now comes into question given the back story. Was he promoted to keep quite? My guess is yes but there will never be any way to prove it other than in the court of public opinion.

Completely on board here. And not just that "he reported it." HE TOLD HIS ####### DAD! What are you in 4th grade?Get some ####### balls dude.
:goodposting: if Big Red is on the sideline Saturday, I will be very upset :thumbdown:

Agree 100%, matter of fact I said about the same thing a few posts above yours. to further implicate another individual, what about his dad? Whose sage advice was to leave. Not grab the kid, not call the cops but leave.
Whole lot of self-preservation surrounds this entire scandal. Not one of these guys thought for a minute about the kids who were involved. It was all about protecting themselves, PSU, and the football program. For that reason I find myself more and more leaning toward the death penalty for this program. Time to send a message that sports is not the most important thing in life. Our society needs a big-time wakeup call.

:goodposting:The only thing that makes sense is that he parlayed this into a full-time position. And that makes him and even bigger piece of ####. He should be worried about his safety.
I think we'll find out that McQueary was given a coaching position in exchange for keeping quiet. The real question is who gave him the job?

According to a report in a Chicago paper (not sure which one didn't hear that) listening to Pittsburgh 93.7 Fan that Tom Rinaldi of ESPN is doing an interview at 1 today with Paterno. Could be bull#### who knows

I guess Jim Gray wasn't available at that time. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
One point I haven't really seen mentioned is that - again depending on what he knew and when - JoePa wasn't just a guy who knew about this and didn't report it. He was the one providing Sandusky with all the perks and access to the program to begin with, stuff that allowed Sandusky to get easy access to these kids. For little kids a pervert seduces them with candy and ice-cream. To 8-13 year old boys access to the players and sidelines, jerseys, and sports equipment is a powerful "bait" for the pervert.Again it depends on facts we don't know about yet, but JoePa was ultimately the one who allowed Sandusky access to the tools he used to repeatedly prey on these needy naive children. That gives JoePa way more responsibility that someone who merely witnessed a single incident and failed to report it.
I believe all former coaches and players have access to the football facility. I dony think Joe bestowed upon him emiterus status. From an earlier post that stated joe and sandusky havent spoken more than once since 99 i doubt their offices are near each other at all. Also joe didnt provide him access to the kids, nor did psu. The kids all came through the Second Mile charity that sandusky himself founded in 1977.
Paterno didn't supply the kids, but he supplied the candy.

Whole lot of self-preservation surrounds this entire scandal. Not one of these guys thought for a minute about the kids who were involved. It was all about protecting themselves, PSU, and the football program. For that reason I find myself more and more leaning toward the death penalty for this program. Time to send a message that sports is not the most important thing in life. Our society needs a big-time wakeup call.
My guess is the university is doing a full quick, "lets see what is currently documented and see whose ### we can cover before the authorities get involved." before publicly saying anything of note or taking any actionIs there anything we can destroyIs there anything we need to know about before protecting this guy/that guyIs there anything we can cover up before the #### hits the fan even more

:goodposting:
That's basically what Lavar Arrington said about it. McQueary was his QB when he was on the team and he couldn't believe his reaction to the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread