What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

CNN and its anchor/reporters might not have the sports background, but they are covering this much better than ESPN isThey're covering it like a news story, not a sports story
Sports does produce news though so there is no excuse for ESPN. Most of their producers probably worked in straight news for years but I will offer another theory. ESPN is known for sinking their money into their talent and equipment more so than any other commercial broadcasting entity. When something is breaking and this big, they simply may not have the right people behind the scenes to make this work. Producers and assignment desk people get you the right people and locations with things like this, they are probably too wrapped around the cycle to make quick adjustments. The thing is though, this is an easy news story. ESPN completely blew it, they barely do anything right any more outside of college football and baseball tonight. The rest of it is absolute trash, and they could care less.

'jackdubl said:
'Hairy Snowman said:
'jackdubl said:
Hey Hairy Snowman, please reread the indictment here: http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdfYou keep getting everything wrong in it. It says nowhere that the Assistant Coach says he gave Paterno a watered down version of events. He actually says he told both the President and Paterno all the details that he saw. It's Paterno and the President who say he gave them watered down versions, and at least in the case of the President, the grand jury thought he was lying.The victim the assistant coach saw was never identified, so there was no mother to call the police, as you stated earlier. You are confusing that victim with another.Nor did i see where any mother was asked to drop the charges, as you state. Maybe you got that from somewhere else. The police department in several cases either failed to follow up or outright told the officers involved to stop investigating, which goes to how wired the town was.
The testimonies of Paterno and the Grad Student are in a different document regarding Victim 2, who was never identified. They are both consistent. I will look for a pdf I can publish. You can't access the document I am looking at. And I was replying to an earlier post which said that the mother had called the police but was told to drop charges under Victim 1. I may have misunderstood the Police stopping investigating with dropping the charges.Edit to add: I published the same link earlier in the thread.
Well, in the link I posted, which is the official indictment published by the Attorney General, the Assistant testified that he told Paterno "what he had seen" and what he saw was very graphic. So if you have something that says he told Paterno something less than he had seen, I'd like to see that.
I just want to repeat - the incident is horrible. Reading Victim 8 and the janitor's testimony is pretty horrible. Much more graphic. Much more damning. They keep repeating on ESPN that the testimony of Paterno and the Grad Student were both consistent. If you read the indictment, Paterno "reported 'disturbing' and 'innapropriate' conduct in the shower by Sandusky upon a young boy, as reported to him by a student or graduate student". Page 8. Shultz was the one who testified that it was wrestling and not sexual. What I am looking at is the same as that. Just a timeline.
That's pretty much the question that everyone wants to know. What EXACTLY was Joe told by the grad student. I agree that it is unclear from the transcript.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the AD is allowed to take voluntary leave. The witness has an unchanged status. The finance vp and head of psu police allowed to go back into retirement. And president spanier apparently was allowed to resign (based on the wording that the board and president spainer felt it was best that dr. Spanier no longer be president. But the guy there 61 years was fired outright immediately by phone call.
People wanted his head and he admitted not doing enough early today sealing his own fate.

'Phenix said:
Also, keep in mind Joe is no longer under restriction to talk to the media. his story will come out and we will find out what his intentions role and what he was really told about the situation.
There's not much Joe can say without either: A) committing perjury, or B) looking like a child-rape-enabler.
really? that second remark is so out of bounds, enabler? Thats what is really sad the fact that he reported it and did nothing illegally yet you characterize him as that. did you read the indictment?

So the AD is allowed to take voluntary leave. The witness has an unchanged status. The finance vp and head of psu police allowed to go back into retirement. And president spanier apparently was allowed to resign (based on the wording that the board and president spainer felt it was best that dr. Spanier no longer be president. But the guy there 61 years was fired outright immediately by phone call.
I'm sure that Paterno was given the exact same options as the other guys. He just chose to go the Woody Hayes route.

Tweet by local reporter who has been at PSU all week:

Anyone buying into idea that #PennState players might boycott Saturday also believes they'll walk out on Tom Bradley. Won't happen.
Exactly. Bradley is a longtime coach in this program (that apparently has no connections to this scandal). No way he finally gets his shot as the HC and the team makes a statement/protest by not playing

My guess is that university is going to be open to hundreds of million in liability via civil cases (not to mention billions in image damage, if not more, in addition to the billions of losses it has already suffered in that department) once the facts come out and that that the group of 3 have fallen in line to the university's plan to defend itself against those cases. Guessing that is what has been happening for the last 5 days, they have been formulating the plan and securing the loyalty of all those involved. On the image damage loss, I figure the BoT calculated that Spanier and Paterno had to go in addition to the AD and VP that are up on charges, and when JoePa said no, they had no choice but to fire him and not wait any longer to do it (hence the late press conference).I think this all became clear when JoePa preemptively issued his retirement statement and specifically told the BoT to not worry about his future. At that point, his interests are clearly separated from the university's and internally they met to make sure they all agreed about what had to be done and probably planned the response to the inevitable blowback.The interesting twist now becomes, does JoePa try to throw others under the bus to save his own name (which is impossible now, may I add) - does this turn into a bloodbath a kill or be killed game of image assassination?

There's no way she didn't know. And After reading that disgusting indictment, there are a lot of people who HAD to know and did nothing. He took little kids to road games. To ####### bowl games, where they sat in on coaches meetings, sat at the table with coaches at dinner.

This ####storm is just starting.
I know that now it looks very suspicious and obviously if you knew of the 98 allegations and/or the 2002 allegations then it would also be a red flag. However, if you knew nothing about those things you would be thinking it was just part of his charity and something great for the kid(s) to be a part of. Im sure the players and other coaches interacted with the kids and tried to make it cool. Like make-a-wish foundation.

'jackdubl said:
'Hairy Snowman said:
'jackdubl said:
Hey Hairy Snowman, please reread the indictment here: http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdfYou keep getting everything wrong in it. It says nowhere that the Assistant Coach says he gave Paterno a watered down version of events. He actually says he told both the President and Paterno all the details that he saw. It's Paterno and the President who say he gave them watered down versions, and at least in the case of the President, the grand jury thought he was lying.The victim the assistant coach saw was never identified, so there was no mother to call the police, as you stated earlier. You are confusing that victim with another.Nor did i see where any mother was asked to drop the charges, as you state. Maybe you got that from somewhere else. The police department in several cases either failed to follow up or outright told the officers involved to stop investigating, which goes to how wired the town was.
The testimonies of Paterno and the Grad Student are in a different document regarding Victim 2, who was never identified.  They are both consistent.  I will look for a pdf I can publish.  You can't access the document I am looking at. And I was replying to an earlier post which said that the mother had called the police but was told to drop charges under Victim 1.  I may have misunderstood the Police stopping investigating with dropping the charges.Edit to add:  I published the same link earlier in the thread.
Well, in the link I posted, which is the official indictment published by the Attorney General, the Assistant testified that he told Paterno "what he had seen" and what he saw was very graphic. So if you have something that says he told Paterno something less than he had seen, I'd like to see that.
I just want to repeat - the incident is horrible.  Reading Victim 8 and the janitor's testimony is pretty horrible.  Much more graphic.  Much more damning.  They keep repeating on ESPN that the testimony of Paterno and the Grad Student were both consistent.  If you read the indictment, Paterno "reported 'disturbing' and 'innapropriate' conduct in the shower by Sandusky upon a young boy, as reported to him by a student or graduate student".  Page 8.  Shultz was the one who testified that it was wrestling and not sexual.  What I am looking at is the same as that.  Just a timeline.
That's pretty much the question that everyone wants to know. What EXACTLY was Joe told by the grad student. I agree that it is unclear from the transcript.
What more did he need to be told than these 4 damning words which should have warranted more follow-up or a call to the police:- Coach- Child- Team ShowerCome on now.....

My guess is that university is going to be open to hundreds of million in liability via civil cases (not to mention billions in image damage, if not more, in addition to the billions of losses it has already suffered in that department) once the facts come out and that that the group of 3 have fallen in line to the university's plan to defend itself against those cases. Guessing that is what has been happening for the last 5 days, they have been formulating the plan and securing the loyalty of all those involved. On the image damage loss, I figure the BoT calculated that Spanier and Paterno had to go in addition to the AD and VP that are up on charges, and when JoePa said no, they had no choice but to fire him and not wait any longer to do it (hence the late press conference).I think this all became clear when JoePa preemptively issued his retirement statement and specifically told the BoT to not worry about his future. At that point, his interests are clearly separated from the university's and internally they met to make sure they all agreed about what had to be done and probably planned the response to the inevitable blowback.The interesting twist now becomes, does JoePa try to throw others under the bus to save his own name (which is impossible now, may I add) - does this turn into a bloodbath a kill or be killed game of image assassination?
If there have been other secrets, I think they're about to get told soon.

'jackdubl said:
'Hairy Snowman said:
'jackdubl said:
Hey Hairy Snowman, please reread the indictment here: http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdfYou keep getting everything wrong in it. It says nowhere that the Assistant Coach says he gave Paterno a watered down version of events. He actually says he told both the President and Paterno all the details that he saw. It's Paterno and the President who say he gave them watered down versions, and at least in the case of the President, the grand jury thought he was lying.The victim the assistant coach saw was never identified, so there was no mother to call the police, as you stated earlier. You are confusing that victim with another.Nor did i see where any mother was asked to drop the charges, as you state. Maybe you got that from somewhere else. The police department in several cases either failed to follow up or outright told the officers involved to stop investigating, which goes to how wired the town was.
The testimonies of Paterno and the Grad Student are in a different document regarding Victim 2, who was never identified.  They are both consistent.  I will look for a pdf I can publish.  You can't access the document I am looking at. And I was replying to an earlier post which said that the mother had called the police but was told to drop charges under Victim 1.  I may have misunderstood the Police stopping investigating with dropping the charges.Edit to add:  I published the same link earlier in the thread.
I just want to repeat - the incident is horrible.  Reading Victim 8 and the janitor's testimony is pretty horrible.  Much more graphic.  Much more damning.  They keep repeating on ESPN that the testimony of Paterno and the Grad Student were both consistent.  If you read the indictment, Paterno "reported 'disturbing' and 'innapropriate' conduct in the shower by Sandusky upon a young boy, as reported to him by a student or graduate student".  Page 8.  Shultz was the one who testified that it was wrestling and not sexual.  What I am looking at is the same as that.  Just a timeline.
What more did he need to be told than these 4 damning words which should have warranted more follow-up or a call to the police:- Coach- Child- Team ShowerCome on now.....
Agreed. Then the guy is told no more kids on campus. Then Joe himself informs the guy that he will not be the next head coach of Penn State. Then the guy immediately retires and takes a cushy retirement package with the school, where he is still given access to kids and facilities. That's what stinks to me. Seems like Joe played a part in covering this up and/or buried his head in the sand.

%26%2339%3BPhenix%26%2339%3B said:
Also, keep in mind Joe is no longer under restriction to talk to the media. his story will come out and we will find out what his intentions role and what he was really told about the situation.
There's not much Joe can say without either: A) committing perjury, or B) looking like a child-rape-enabler.
really? that second remark is so out of bounds, enabler? Thats what is really sad the fact that he reported it and did nothing illegally yet you characterize him as that. did you read the indictment?
Yes I've read the indictment.And no, I don't think the second remark is out of bounds. The more Joe Pa admits to knowing, the more he looks like a child-rape-enabler.

Also, we haven't heard the last word on whether Paterno really "did nothing illegally". For example, Pennsylvania's Mandatory Reporting Law requires people like Paterno to report suspected child abuse to "the person in charge of the institution". Yet Paterno only reported it to a co-worker, NOT the person in charge of the institution. If Paterno wasn't such a revered figure in Pennsylvania, he might have been charged with the same crime as Curley and Schultz.

If there have been other secrets, I think they're about to get told soon.
I agree. We're about a week or two away from everybody eating each other. I predict bloodbath.

There's no way she didn't know. And After reading that disgusting indictment, there are a lot of people who HAD to know and did nothing. He took little kids to road games. To ####### bowl games, where they sat in on coaches meetings, sat at the table with coaches at dinner.

I know that now it looks very suspicious and obviously if you knew of the 98 allegations and/or the 2002 allegations then it would also be a red flag. However, if you knew nothing about those things you would be thinking it was just part of his charity and something great for the kid(s) to be a part of. Im sure the players and other coaches interacted with the kids and tried to make it cool. Like make-a-wish foundation.
:goodposting: If you knew about some of the allegations I don't know how you turned a blind eye to those actions. But if you knew nothing else, you'd think "Wow, what a great guy for opening new doors for these kids and making some of their dreams come true." There are plenty of people who work with kids that aren't pedophiles. No reason to think someone being nice to a kid is a sick sob.

Holy #### is joepa delusional. That bit of him stepping out his house was surreal.
:shrug: Joe has been mostly a figurehead not involved on the day to day stuff for almost 10 years.
My favorite bit from joes front stoop this evening. All delivered with that foolish grin of his. "…hey look, get a good nights sleep. Alright, study. Alright. We still got things to do. Alright. I'm out of it maybe now, that phone call put me out of it(accompanied by a chuckle) but we'll go from here…"

Holy #### is joepa delusional. That bit of him stepping out his house was surreal.
:shrug: Joe has been mostly a figurehead not involved on the day to day stuff for almost 10 years.
My favorite bit from joes front stoop this evening. All delivered with that foolish grin of his. "…hey look, get a good nights sleep. Alright, study. Alright. We still got things to do. Alright. I'm out of it maybe now, that phone call put me out of it(accompanied by a chuckle) but we'll go from here…"
I like when he said "alright guys .... And you know when i say guys i mean the girls too ..."

:goodposting: If you knew about some of the allegations I don't know how you turned a blind eye to those actions. But if you knew nothing else, you'd think "Wow, what a great guy for opening new doors for these kids and making some of their dreams come true." There are plenty of people who work with kids that aren't pedophiles. No reason to think someone being nice to a kid is a sick sob.
That may apply to his sister in-law, but not to his wife. 100% certainty his wife knew something was wrong, she just pretended it wasn't.

I like when he said "alright guys .... And you know when i say guys i mean the girls too ..."
This will be all of us sooner than we like.

That may apply to his sister in-law, but not to his wife. 100% certainty his wife knew something was wrong, she just pretended it wasn't.
Absolutely agree with you. His wife and some others just had to know something was wrong. But most people who saw him with kids likely thought he was a saint. And with so many others telling you how great your friend/husband it's going to help you turn a blind eye to that nagging sensation.

I think he thinks that this is just temporary?!?!?He's going to that game on Saturday I guarantee it!

Grand jury reportVictim 4

Read this and get back to me if you think people didn't know.

Absolutely agree with you. His wife and some others just had to know something was wrong. But most people who saw him with kids likely thought he was a saint. And with so many others telling you how great your friend/husband it's going to help you turn a blind eye to that nagging sensation.
Yeah, that is probably right. What a sick SOB.

Grand jury reportVictim 4

I definitely think some people had their heads buried in the sand. I think most people thought this scumbag was a great guy.

CNN and its anchor/reporters might not have the sports background, but they are covering this much better than ESPN isThey're covering it like a news story, not a sports story
Sports does produce news though so there is no excuse for ESPN. Most of their producers probably worked in straight news for years but I will offer another theory. ESPN is known for sinking their money into their talent and equipment more so than any other commercial broadcasting entity. When something is breaking and this big, they simply may not have the right people behind the scenes to make this work. Producers and assignment desk people get you the right people and locations with things like this, they are probably too wrapped around the cycle to make quick adjustments. The thing is though, this is an easy news story. ESPN completely blew it, they barely do anything right any more outside of college football and baseball tonight. The rest of it is absolute trash, and they could care less.
Total disaster for them, the only compelling footage came from Philly local news with Paterno at his home. They are a disgrace.

Grand jury report

Victim 4

When you read that it appears that it was just common knowledge in the program that Sandusky basically had a concubine in the Ancient Roman sense out in the open. A child sex slave. I just don't how you conclude anything else based on the behavior pattern of sharing rooms while traveling, lavish gifts, and Sandusky constantly having the kid around as his companion. Hell even if there had never been the incident in 98 that should have alerted everyone in the program to Sandusky's tendencies (certainly they never ever ever should have signed off on him bringing a child with on trips or otherwise having a child on university property in an unsupervised setting after that), you have probably joked about it and speculated merely out of feeling uncomfortable being in the presence of a relationship that appears so impure on its face. A middle-aged man keeping a pubescent boy around all the time just isn't something you see every day.

Reminds me of one of the last few scenes of A Few Good Men. Dawson and Downey are given dishonorable discharges even after they were proven to be following orders.

Downey: What did we do wrong? We did nothing wrong.

Dawson: Yeah, we did. We were supposed to fight for the people who couldn't fight for themselves. We were supposed to fight for Willie.

Was Paterno given the option of resigning immediately?

I bet he was. Sure feels like there was a chance for he and the BoT to broker some kind of agreement and he said no, then tried to preemptively win the PR battle by declaring retirement at the end of the season and telling the BoT to not worry about him publicly.

I bet he was. Sure feels like there was a chance for he and the BoT to broker some kind of agreement and he said no, then tried to preemptively win the PR battle by declaring retirement at the end of the season and telling the BoT to not worry about him publicly.
Would imagine so. Likely, once he made the power-grab by announcing he was retiring after the season the call tonight was not made with an option to resign immediately.

'Hairy Snowman said:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdfHere is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
The problem is once it became apparent that the police weren't being notified, then the people who reported the incident to their immediate superior should have gone further up the chain till someone contacted the authorities, gone to the police or to at the very least the press.

'proninja said:
peace
peace be with you

this is a problem with any chain of command. people report it upward, then think they they can forget about it. JOPA had every reason to make sure that the accusation was false b4 allowing him back any where near the football team again. there are just too many signs that were being ignored by the university. JOPA should have taken the high road this week and retired immediately for his own admission that he should have done more. there are some mistakes that cant be glossed over, and child abuse is at the top of the list.

'Phenix said:
Also, keep in mind Joe is no longer under restriction to talk to the media. his story will come out and we will find out what his intentions role and what he was really told about the situation.Joe is already saying somethings that he was not allowed to say. joe is a direct guy afraid of no one he will say what is on his mind. soon we will know more details.
Will we find out his true story? I'd think he'd have attorneys that will tell him what he should say or not say to protect him from any potential civil suit.Reading the indictment, it seems that Curley, Schultz and Harmon should all go to jail. A few members of the university police, grad student and the janitor all seem to have made the same mistakes as JoPa. The janitor's boss, Witherite should have reported the incident and not just left it all up to the janitor. With Curley, Schultz and Harmon working to cover things up, only JoPa may have had the clout to get a legitimate investigation started. But university police were part of covering it up. Joe would have probably had to go to the press, even local media probably would have acted if it was coming from him. But hard to blame him from not going to the press for something he hadn't witnessed 1st hand.Firing Joe is reasonable, but I wish there was more coverage on Sandusky and the guys that actively tried to cover it all up.The students rioting are stupid, a bunch will end up expelled. That's what happened at the MSU riots a decade ago and at that time cell phones with cameras weren't as prevalent as they are today. Idiots, there's tv cameras all over, you're going to get caught on tape turning over a car.

It goes back to 1998 when it was first reported, the police were involved, Sand admitting to the mother of the child, etc but nothing was done, no arrests nothing. Those are who you point the fingers at. Not Joe Pa, if anything he is the only one that seemed to do something about something he heard 2nd hand.

They covered it up like this for so long, what would have happened if Joe Pa went to the police, made a formal complaint, then it was covered up...could you imagine the slander lawsuit that could have been filed against him? He did the right thing. It is honestly perplexing how I am seeing some people react to this. Treaing Paterno as if he is worse then Sand is. Its sickening and alot of people should be ashamed for even thinking that way.

But you know how the media is, once they get rolling, they get the sheep to follow.

So for the people who are defending Paterno for passing this up the chain of command -- should the Nazi soldiers who were "just following orders" have gotten off, too? Can you even hear yourself here? "He didn't know if it was true or not" is the best you've got? How can an honorable man sleep at night knowing his failure to act has put so many children in harm's way?

Users who are viewing this thread