What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_19314979

Windsor High School football player Joey O'Connor, a 6-foot-5, 297-pound lineman, has decided to decommit from Penn State University in light of the child sex-abuse scandal that forced out head coach Joe Paterno?.

O'Connor, who selected Penn State as his school of choice in June, told the Fort Collins Coloradoan that he made the decision so he could pursue other offers. Other schools that might be interested include South Carolina, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Colorado State, California, UCLA and Washington State.

"It's been a real struggle," O'Connor told the Coloradoan, "just getting all this thrown in my face just before the playoffs. The only time I can get away from it is at football practice. I only forget about it when I step on that field."

O'Connor and his 9-1 Wizards will host Holy Family (8-2) in the opening round of the Class 3A state playoffs on Saturday.
Seriously, who would want to play or even go to PSU for a long time? What parent would let their child go?

The only people that are going to continue to go are those that have shown generations of support.
why? they are going to have a new president, new AD, new coach and staff.. they cleaned house.. everything related to the disgusting scandal will be gone. they will have alot of talent returning next year, and they have some of the best facilities and fan base in the nation.. sure there will be some this year that change their minds, but this too shall pass..
Do you really believe this or are you just hoping?
I see Indiana Basketball playing out.If there isn't a big exodus of talent that's already there, there's a chance to succeed with the leftovers over the next year or two. But once it comes down to recruiting without the icon in place, it's all downhill from there.
I guess that can depend on who the next coach is. Meyer? Cowher? Bradley?
no way Bradley gets the job.. gotta clean house..

I'll be surprised if McQueary makes it to next year. They can't even have him on the sidelines at this point. He will be gone next season I think.
I wonder if he had some early termination clause written into his contract after the incident for billions of dollars. It makes no sense for him to still be employed.
They might be concerned about whisteblower laws that would result in a civil liability if they fire him.PSU will probably hire a coach next year who will bring in his own staff, so they can get rid of him without it being as clearly related to Sandusky.
I think he gets a nice severance deal in exchange for giving up right to sue.

Windsor High School football player Joey O'Connor, a 6-foot-5, 297-pound lineman, has decided to decommit from Penn State University in light of the child sex-abuse scandal that forced out head coach Joe Paterno?.

O'Connor, who selected Penn State as his school of choice in June, told the Fort Collins Coloradoan that he made the decision so he could pursue other offers. Other schools that might be interested include South Carolina, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Colorado State, California, UCLA and Washington State.

"It's been a real struggle," O'Connor told the Coloradoan, "just getting all this thrown in my face just before the playoffs. The only time I can get away from it is at football practice. I only forget about it when I step on that field."

O'Connor and his 9-1 Wizards will host Holy Family (8-2) in the opening round of the Class 3A state playoffs on Saturday.
Seriously, who would want to play or even go to PSU for a long time? What parent would let their child go?

The only people that are going to continue to go are those that have shown generations of support.
why? they are going to have a new president, new AD, new coach and staff.. they cleaned house.. everything related to the disgusting scandal will be gone. they will have alot of talent returning next year, and they have some of the best facilities and fan base in the nation.. sure there will be some this year that change their minds, but this too shall pass..
a little of both I guess- but I have seen so much good done by Penn State student and alumni over the past 30 years, I can't help to think that we will eventually land on our collective feet.. I would not have thought this Monday or Tuesday- but seeing how thinkgs have been set in motion with all of the firings, I am optomistic that a new era will begin.. will it be easy? hell no there is still alot to be sorted out, and it could get ugly again and again, but we will survive.
I have faith that the quality alums and staff that love Penn State will eventually help the school regain most of it's previously sterling reputation. But I think it is going to be a long road. As far as football, it is too soon to tell but even the best case scenarios are not good over the next few years. I still think this somehow ends in Penn State football missing a season or two. It is unfortunate that 99%+ of the people who care about Penn State have to suffer for the actions of a handful, but that is how it is.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitterSandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
This should put an end to the "Sandusky was not associated with Penn State at all" argument.
Yep.

I see Indiana Basketball playing out.If there isn't a big exodus of talent that's already there, there's a chance to succeed with the leftovers over the next year or two. But once it comes down to recruiting without the icon in place, it's all downhill from there.
I guess a big name coach might want to accept the challenge, but I doubt it. Why in the world would Cowher or Meyer want to be in the middle of that stink?

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitterSandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
This should put an end to the "Sandusky was not associated with Penn State at all" argument.
To be fair, if that is at all possible, I'm not sure the above article at all implies Sandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year. I think that part was just an editorial on A-ruds part.

Seems like the idea that this guy was even retired at all is pretty much a sham.

To be fair, if that is at all possible, I'm not sure the above article at all implies Sandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year. I think that part was just an editorial on A-ruds part.
What else was he doing there?

he just happened to show up at a spring high school game in South Carolina and talked to the 26th ranked LB in the country while he was deciding which school to play at?total coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ben_Jones88 Ben JonesPer a source, Sandusky was at ****'s Sporting goods yesterday, in "full PSU attire"
:mellow:
Jeebus. I know it's been said, but it's amazing that this monster is out roaming around in public.
I can't believe there's no violence towards him, and honestly I can't say I don't condone it. Even if you erase the unforgiveable atrocities, the decline of Paterno was enough to incite mini-riots and Sandusky's the root cause. Obviously he's at his own house, which reporters have found. It's unreal to me that he could be recognized in public and not be attacked just "for Joe", much less for the monster that he is.

Why else would Sandusky go to see high school boys play a spring football game? Er... nevermind.

a little of both I guess- but I have seen so much good done by Penn State student and alumni over the past 30 years, I can't help to think that we will eventually land on our collective feet.. I would not have thought this Monday or Tuesday- but seeing how thinkgs have been set in motion with all of the firings, I am optomistic that a new era will begin.. will it be easy? hell no there is still alot to be sorted out, and it could get ugly again and again, but we will survive.
I have faith that the quality alums and staff that love Penn State will eventually help the school regain most of it's previously sterling reputation. But I think it is going to be a long road. As far as football, it is too soon to tell but even the best case scenarios are not good over the next few years. I still think this somehow ends in Penn State football missing a season or two. It is unfortunate that 99%+ of the people who care about Penn State have to suffer for the actions of a handful, but that is how it is.
Long term, shutting it down for two years might not be a bad idea in the long run. Deal with this mess, Deal with it w/o FB hanging over its head, and there could be huge upside when it returns. Right now, for a long time, every time they play, it will be brought up. That's just going to slow down the healing and rebuilding process IMO.

It still boggles my mind that JoePa would not think about protecting everything he had built up and not take care of this the right way at first opportunity. had he done so, the 99+% you speak of would not have to suffer also. How sad.

What else was he doing there?
No idea. Could be scouting out new victims. I'm not really into speculation. Just pointing out the article never says he was recruiting for Penn State.

he just happened to show up at a spring high school game in South Carolina and talked to the 26th ranked LB in the country while he was deciding which school to play at?total coincidence?
Ummm.....yep.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitter

Sandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.

Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.

“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.

Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.

“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.

But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.

“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”

Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.

“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.

Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.

“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”

Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
Really?

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.

Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.

“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.

Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.

“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.

But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.

“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”

“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.

“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”

Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
Really?
Ok, sorry. Didn't realize, "Hey kid, you got talent." = "I'm an official recruiter for Penn State. Please come to my school."

Nothing gets by you guys. Carry on.

Can the compete in the Big Ten? With all of these teams jumping conferences these days, will the Big Ten let them stay or could they replace them with maybe Pitt or Cincy or any of the orphan Big East teams

:shrug:

I didn't say anything about it being "official". If a former player talks up PSU to a high school kid, wouldn't that be considered recruiting as well?

I just think it's interesting that he still felt close enough to the program to try and recruit players. If McQueary is the recruiting coordinator and he finds out this guy is out talking to potential players on behalf of the school, that had to be a bit awkward.

...and if JoePa had died in his sleep without this all going down? :popcorn:

Ok, sorry. Didn't realize, "Hey kid, you got talent." = "I'm an official recruiter for Penn State. Please come to my school."Nothing gets by you guys. Carry on.
So why was a guy from Pennsylvania in South Carolina watching a high school football game and talking to players?

Really?
Ok, sorry. Didn't realize, "Hey kid, you got talent." = "I'm an official recruiter for Penn State. Please come to my school."

And you think he was doing this in secret? Nobody at PSU knew that one of their top recruits was being visited by a guy who still had an office in their facility?

:shrug:I didn't say anything about it being "official".
No, you said he was recruiting for Penn State, which the article never said. But that's a leap you are apparently comfortable with.
It was from the tweet where I saw the story:
@CecilHurt Cecil HurtDid Sandusky Visit & Scout Recruit Last Spring? Recruit Says Yes - Greenville News Story: WYFF Greenville: bit.ly/tXNN1Y via @AddThis

Really?

And you think he was doing this in secret? Nobody at PSU knew that one of their top recruits was being visited by a guy who still had an office in their facility?
Where did I say or imply either of those things? You created those theories on your own.To be clear on my point and reduce your confusion:

The article never says he was there recruiting for Penn State.

If that is a conclusion you can draw from the article, good for you. You are way more in tune with the goings-on at Penn State than me.

...and if JoePa had died in his sleep without this all going down? :popcorn:
Irrelevant

@Ben_Jones88 Ben JonesPer a source, Sandusky was at ****'s Sporting goods yesterday, in "full PSU attire"
If he reads this thread, I am touched, as I mentioned this yesterday.
you mentioned what he was wearing? missed it. sorry.when I search for the word "attire" in this thread, nothing comes up. what am I missing here?
I just mentioned he was rumored to be at ****'s Sporting goods

Really?

Where did I say or imply either of those things? You created those theories on your own.To be clear on my point and reduce your confusion:

The article never says he was there recruiting for Penn State.

If that is a conclusion you can draw from the article, good for you. You are way more in tune with the goings-on at Penn State than me.
Watch the video.

you mentioned what he was wearing? missed it. sorry.when I search for the word "attire" in this thread, nothing comes up. what am I missing here?
that's not the interesting part of the tweet I posted, FWIW.

the idea of this guy going out shopping in his PSU superfan attire after all this is fascinating. not really trying to hide I guess.

probably wasn't him, but still fascinating to me if it was.

Book signing?

that's not the interesting part of the tweet I posted, FWIW.
Yea, I don't think I mentioned that part, although I think the whole thing is interesting that he is out at all (at a place called ****'s) and wearing PSU attire flaunting it. Seriosuly, 100,000 students should march to HIS house after the game saturday.

the idea of this guy going out shopping in his PSU superfan attire after all this is fascinating. not really trying to hide I guess.probably wasn't him, but still fascinating to me if it was.
Perhaps he is taking the whole "my client maintains his innocence" thing very seriously.

huh? that's a direct quote from the article.

:shrug:

I didn't say anything about it being "official". If a former player talks up PSU to a high school kid, wouldn't that be considered recruiting as well?

I just think it's interesting that he still felt close enough to the program to try and recruit players. If McQueary is the recruiting coordinator and he finds out this guy is out talking to potential players on behalf of the school, that had to be a bit awkward.
No more awkward than seeing a guy that you saw rape a boy any and every where. Un####ingbelievable how McQueary has acted in this. Possibly the most mindboggling issue thus far. At least you know that Sandusky is a monster. I just can't fathom someone seeing what McQ did and accepting anything other than total destruction of the perv.

They called UVA's Mike London Wednesday according to Sportstalk 980 in DC. Doesn't sound like they have their eyes on a Meyer or Cowher type coach.

@sganim Sara GanimAssistant coach Mike McQueary has been placed on administrative leave
:thumbup: . Late, but a good move. Seems like they're going through this person by person. Too little too late perhaps, but at least it's something that seems like a movement forward. Honestly, he should've been let go same time as JP, but I can kind of understand taking it case by case. They have a gigantic mountain of #### to sort through.

They called UVA's Mike London Wednesday according to Sportstalk 980 in DC. Doesn't sound like they have their eyes on a Meyer or Cowher type coach.
It's possible Meyer has withdrawn his name but I had heard a rumor he was looking at housing and may have purchased property in Boalsburg, PA right around the time this news hit.

Users who are viewing this thread