What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitterSandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
My dad was a football star at Greer High a long time ago--they make em right in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-111110a/here-how-penn-state-fix-football-culture

One remedy: Penn State without footballThese are desperate times for the university. They might require desperate measures.
Not that it matters to anyone, but I will support the BoT if they decide to shut the program down. My brother and I discussed this today (he's also an alum) and we're both ashamed of our school.
What would be the purpose of shutting down the football program? If this had been a creative writing professor would they shut down the English department?
It seems that only the football team had enough power in the university to keep this under wraps. The creative writing professor would have been in prison years ago. The purpose of shutting down the program, in theory, would be to diminish the importance of the football program such that it did not continue to have such an outsized role on campus. I'm doubtful that it would work, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-111110a/here-how-penn-state-fix-football-culture

One remedy: Penn State without footballThese are desperate times for the university. They might require desperate measures.
Not that it matters to anyone, but I will support the BoT if they decide to shut the program down. My brother and I discussed this today (he's also an alum) and we're both ashamed of our school.
What would be the purpose of shutting down the football program? If this had been a creative writing professor would they shut down the English department?
It seems that only the football team had enough power in the university to keep this under wraps. The creative writing professor would have been in prison years ago. The purpose of shutting down the program, in theory, would be to diminish the importance of the football program such that it did not continue to have such out outsized role on campus. I'm doubtful that it would work, though.
Several assumptions there.

It seems that only the football team had enough power in the university to keep this under wraps. The creative writing professor would have been in prison years ago. The purpose of shutting down the program, in theory, would be to diminish the importance of the football program such that it did not continue to have such out outsized role on campus. I'm doubtful that it would work, though.
Several assumptions there.
I agree. But I think those are the assumptions underlying the sentiment that shutting down football might be beneficial to the university.

Football is about the only entity that could ever consolidate and wield that much power at a university - it was fully intertwined with this entire series of incidents.

What does everyone think of the Cars.com thing with pulling their sponsorship from ESPN for the next two games? Are any of you going to boycott any of the advertisers you see on the next couple of PSU games? Seems sort of remote. A bigger probability is that PSU Alum/fans will decide never to use Cars.com again. Which way do you think that will fall? And I'm talking financially since yes I know they could just be proving a point even if it costs them money? Anyone going to stop buying Pepsi products because they advertise in Beaver stadium?
I suspect because it got their name in the news and will generate tons of free publicity - a win / win from the Cars.com perspective.

McQueary tells PSU wideouts he's out as coach and in "protective custody"

Link
I wonder if the threats against him are for "the right" reasons. Are they for not stopping the rape of a 10 year old? Or are they for the appearance of taking down Paterno and the football program.
i thought speculation was the latter
Unfortunately , that's what I suspected. If I were there I think I'd have to make some kind of sign condemning him for the career oriented coward that he is.

:no: I think there has been enough crimes committed. I don't think throwing a cinder block through his window is good thing. Sandusky will face his crimes in the court of law.
I want to think that, but I don't. As long as there's no one else in the house with that monster then I'm fine with cinder blocks and such. I'm just surprised it took so long.
How do you know no one was in the house with him?

What does everyone think of the Cars.com thing with pulling their sponsorship from ESPN for the next two games? Are any of you going to boycott any of the advertisers you see on the next couple of PSU games? Seems sort of remote. A bigger probability is that PSU Alum/fans will decide never to use Cars.com again. Which way do you think that will fall? And I'm talking financially since yes I know they could just be proving a point even if it costs them money? Anyone going to stop buying Pepsi products because they advertise in Beaver stadium?
advertisers wont bother me, the group of kids did nothing wrong and they deserve to play

:no: I think there has been enough crimes committed. I don't think throwing a cinder block through his window is good thing. Sandusky will face his crimes in the court of law.
I want to think that, but I don't. As long as there's no one else in the house with that monster then I'm fine with cinder blocks and such. I'm just surprised it took so long.
Pretty sure Rudnicki saw him shopping for PSU attire at ****'s in Colorado.

For one thing, the report on ESPN said no one was home. However, I wasn't speaking specifically of this incident, just of my general feeling about the matter. I'd be completely shocked out of my mind if his wife and any of his kids were staying with him right now.

advertisers wont bother me, the group of kids did nothing wrong and they deserve to play
I have no absolutely no problem with cars.com pulling advertising when Paterno and McQueary were planning to be on the sidelines. It's probably a dumb financial decision as the game would have probably had higher ratings. But, now that they're both gone, I don't see a need for it. It may be too late to get back into the game, but I wouldn't expect any other advertisers to pull advertising.

Has the NCAA ever disciplined a program for transgressions that didn't enhance its competitiveness?
Driving Rudy Archer to his junior college classes after he flunked out of Maryland gave them a competitive advantage? I think that is roughly analogous to what is happening here. The NCAA could not punish Maryland for the atmosphere that existed that helped allow the Len Bias overdose, so it waited until it could drop the hammer and that was the recruiting violation that the over his head Bob Wade allowed to happen.
I've always thought of NCAA violations as stuff that would not be a big deal if it was the pros. Pay someone? That's a pro thing. Give out benefits, etc., that makes it more professional. The goal of the NCAA is to preserve amateurism.To me, what happened here is outside of the NCAA. This could have easily been the Kansas City Chiefs instead of Penn State. This had little to do with amateurism, but rather the powerful preying on the weak.That said, who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA or Penn State comes down with penalties. My guess is they don't come down with anything, because almost 'anything' would be inadequate. The headline "NCAA docks Penn State 30 scholarships over 4 years for child rape" would make the NCAA look absurd. No sanction, except the death penalty, could be anything close to enough. That's why I think they just say "we'll let the police deal with it."
I don't think the NCAA will do anything for the very reasons you stated. The Big 10 might do something we will never hear. However, I think that if anything comes up in the near future the NCAA will drop the hammer a lot harder than it would otherwise. The Maryland situation had real infractions but they were largely considered minor, but the penalties were rather harsh. Unexpectedly harsh!

Statement from Scott Paterno tonight....

Scott Paterno, son of ousted Pennsylvania State University football coach Joe Paterno, released this statement Friday night: "I have been asked by my father to make a brief statement on his behalf. "Like everyone who has watched this story unfold, my father is experiencing a range of powerful emotions. He is absolutely distraught over what happened to the children and their families. He also wants very much to speak publicly and answer questions. "At this stage, however, he has no choice but to be patient and defer to the legal process. He cooperated fully with the grand jury, and he will continue to cooperate with the investigation as we move forward. "On behalf of my father, I have retained Wick Sollers at the law firm of King & Spalding. My father's desire is for the truth to be uncovered, and he will work with his lawyers to that end. Mr. Sollers has directed my father, our family, and everyone associated with us to make no further public statements and to respond to no media inquiries. We will honor this request. Accordingly, all requests for comments or other information should be directed to Mr. Sollers."

Has the NCAA ever disciplined a program for transgressions that didn't enhance its competitiveness?
Driving Rudy Archer to his junior college classes after he flunked out of Maryland gave them a competitive advantage? I think that is roughly analogous to what is happening here. The NCAA could not punish Maryland for the atmosphere that existed that helped allow the Len Bias overdose, so it waited until it could drop the hammer and that was the recruiting violation that the over his head Bob Wade allowed to happen.
I've always thought of NCAA violations as stuff that would not be a big deal if it was the pros. Pay someone? That's a pro thing. Give out benefits, etc., that makes it more professional. The goal of the NCAA is to preserve amateurism.To me, what happened here is outside of the NCAA. This could have easily been the Kansas City Chiefs instead of Penn State. This had little to do with amateurism, but rather the powerful preying on the weak.That said, who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA or Penn State comes down with penalties. My guess is they don't come down with anything, because almost 'anything' would be inadequate. The headline "NCAA docks Penn State 30 scholarships over 4 years for child rape" would make the NCAA look absurd. No sanction, except the death penalty, could be anything close to enough. That's why I think they just say "we'll let the police deal with it."
I don't think the NCAA will do anything for the very reasons you stated. The Big 10 might do something we will never hear. However, I think that if anything comes up in the near future the NCAA will drop the hammer a lot harder than it would otherwise. The Maryland situation had real infractions but they were largely considered minor, but the penalties were rather harsh. Unexpectedly harsh!
As I have said numerous times in this thread, I think you guys are nuts if you dont think the NCAA is not going to poke their head in Happy Valley. There are too many angles at play here for them not to do it. If Sandusky was still recruiting, using the facilities and going to bowls you can be damn sure teh NCAA is at least going to ask questions.

I'm boycotting everyone who uses blue or white on their logo...or has a lion as their mascot...or is located in a Valley...or is Happy.That should cover it.
LOL

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitterSandusky was recruiting for Penn State last year.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.
This should put an end to the "Sandusky was not associated with Penn State at all" argument.
Yep.
Who in the world was making that argument? There were reports at the beginning of the week that he was at the gym on campus last week. :confused:
Well, at least some people defending Paterno were trying to make the case that he had no authority over Sandusky since Sandusky was no longer on his staff and had no official affiliation with the football program.
Sigh. And that is true in the legal sense. Sure, maybe Joe could have ordered Curley to fire him or get him off campus but Joe himself cannot do that. But I can't find anyone in here saying that he was not associated with Penn State anymore AT ALL. That's just silly. Of course he was. That's the problem!
And of course, Paterno doesn't have to be Sandusky's superior to call the ####### police.
:goodposting: Are people really too ####### stupid to comprehend this??

One remedy: Penn State without football

These are desperate times for the university. They might require desperate measures.
As a complete outsider, I don't think the entire school is to blame, nor should the legacy of Penn State come crashing down. It's one of the best school's in the country and the alumni (by all accounts) are good, productive human beings. When I read the report yesterday, I was struck by the fact that the police and the DA knew all about Sandusky and did nothing more than admonish and warn him. This travesty is much bigger than the school itself. The fact that authorities knew about the abuse and did nothing about it leads me to believe that this isn't just a Penn State problem...it's a national crisis. Why are our kids not receiving protection and justice? A man showering naked with another child should be shot and killed arrested and have his day in court, not warned over the phone. I dunno...I feel bad for the Penn State grads who are suffering through this.
Of course you should. Everybody should, and they shouldn't have to be labelled as insensitive to the victims by saying so. In fact, the students and especially the football team are also giant victims in this, though clearly in a completely different classification as the assaulted victims. Their entire college experience is ruined. One of the best seasons in a while has been irrevocably derailed and no matter what they do, they lose. Win one for Joe? The child rape enabler fired in disgrace and forever be reminded that they dedicated a gigantic win to someone who it may turn out turned his back on child rape? Be totally unfocused and get creamed on possibly the most scrutinized game of the season NCAA-wide? Shut Joe out of their thought process and play while shunning him and feel that nag of guilt for the good Joe's done for the rest of thier lives, and then possibly find out that Joe was largely in the dark and add that extra weight of guilt? Plus their football career, for the returning players, being in doubt at either that school or anywhere. It's heartbreaking just for those kids, and like I said, that's a geometric factor, or more, less damaging than the kids assaulted. It's absolutely no win for the team and for the school in regards to their season. I don't think it's wrong in the least to feel sorry for them at all.
That's a wonderful post. Thank you.

'krista4 said:

Scott Paterno, son of ousted Pennsylvania State University football coach Joe Paterno, released this statement Friday night: "I have been asked by my father to make a brief statement on his behalf. "Like everyone who has watched this story unfold, my father is experiencing a range of powerful emotions. He is absolutely distraught over what happened to the children and their families. He also wants very much to speak publicly and answer questions. "At this stage, however, he has no choice but to be patient and defer to the legal process. He cooperated fully with the grand jury, and he will continue to cooperate with the investigation as we move forward. "On behalf of my father, I have retained Wick Sollers at the law firm of King & Spalding. My father's desire is for the truth to be uncovered, and he will work with his lawyers to that end. Mr. Sollers has directed my father, our family, and everyone associated with us to make no further public statements and to respond to no media inquiries. We will honor this request. Accordingly, all requests for comments or other information should be directed to Mr. Sollers."
Interesting. King and Spalding is a "white-shoe" (insofar as an Atlanta firm can be) law firm that has no criminal practice that I'm aware of. So he's ramping up for the civil suits.
Odd, our local news reported he hired a top DC criminal lawyer. They even commented that that it was interesting seeing as he was said to not be a person of interest to the local investigation.A civil lawyer makes a whole lot more sense.

http://espn.go.com/e...ootball-culture

One remedy: Penn State without football

These are desperate times for the university. They might require desperate measures.
As a complete outsider, I don't think the entire school is to blame, nor should the legacy of Penn State come crashing down. It's one of the best school's in the country and the alumni (by all accounts) are good, productive human beings. When I read the report yesterday, I was struck by the fact that the police and the DA knew all about Sandusky and did nothing more than admonish and warn him. This travesty is much bigger than the school itself. The fact that authorities knew about the abuse and did nothing about it leads me to believe that this isn't just a Penn State problem...it's a national crisis. Why are our kids not receiving protection and justice? A man showering naked with another child should be shot and killed arrested and have his day in court, not warned over the phone. I dunno...I feel bad for the Penn State grads who are suffering through this.
I don't know if I would agree with it, but maybe they should do it to burst the Penn State bubble. They own that area, obviously. It's one thing to have your own people protecting their own and the Penn St aura from scandal. But to have law enforcement bow down to the almighty State college to protect the image, and subsequently a monster, is above and beyond. Maybe it would be good to actually change the focus of a college, to something important like say, education? Instead of football. And set an example that no one is or should be untouchable, especially with such heinous criminal activity going on.
See but here's the thing: It isn't really just football that makes it like that. It is (or was) Paterno. It would be one thing if you say abuses and coverups going back over many years of different coaches. Then you can assign more blame to the sport/university. But I believe that most of the looking away and cover up was to save Paterno. So with him gone, I don't think you need to abolish the football program. I don't think you'll see people do horrible things like fail to report a monster like this for some other coach. It's not the football culture at Penn State. It was the Paterno idoltry.

Wick is head of the dc office and does criminal defense.
At least I'm not going crazy. But this tells me that what we've suspected is probably true.
The only criminal that's listed on his bio is environmental, accounting fraud, health care, FDA, and "federal" criminal, which is in keeping with a white-collar firm. Maybe we're talking about federal if he's going for criminal; otherwise it's clearly just civil litigation.

Oops, well there you have it. :bag: I wouldn't have thought they did it.Edit: Not really. The guy's bio doesn't apply to what you're thinking of as "criminal". :shrug:
They don't have criminal practice anywhere listed on their web site.Also, he looks like a #####.

Also, from his bio: St. Paul’s School for Boys in Baltimore, Board of Trustees Member :mellow:

Oops, well there you have it. :bag: I wouldn't have thought they did it.Edit: Not really. The guy's bio doesn't apply to what you're thinking of as "criminal". :shrug:
They don't have criminal practice anywhere listed on their web site.Also, he looks like a #####.

Also, from his bio: St. Paul’s School for Boys in Baltimore, Board of Trustees Member :mellow:
They call it special matters/government investigations.

'krista4 said:

Interesting. King and Spalding is a "white-shoe" (insofar as an Atlanta firm can be) law firm that has no criminal practice that I'm aware of. So he's ramping up for the civil suits.
Odd, our local news reported he hired a top DC criminal lawyer. They even commented that that it was interesting seeing as he was said to not be a person of interest to the local investigation.A civil lawyer makes a whole lot more sense.
No. The strategy is to protect him from any possible criminal charge first. If he's named in a civil suit he can always hire a civil attorney later. I have a relationship with a criminal attorney where he refers any clients to me who get sued in civil court. We work very closely together because the number one priority is to always keep our client out of jail. Unless and until the threat of criminal sanctions passes, he takes the lead.

"Special matters" is how K&S refers to white collar crime.At the risk of revealing too much info about myself, I'm a former K&S associate, and know Wick. He's one of the best there is at this.

"Special matters" is how K&S refers to white collar crime.At the risk of revealing too much info about myself, I'm a former K&S associate, and know Wick. He's one of the best there is at this.
So what were you accused of? :popcorn:

One of the best there is at what? (Also, great firm. :thumbup: But I'm former Skadden and Kirkland and can't imagine them coming within miles of this.)

So what were you accused of? :popcorn:
Nothing. I used to work at K&S, Wick's firm.

One of the best there is at what? (Also, great firm. :thumbup: But I'm former Skadden and Kirkland and can't imagine them coming within miles of this.)
At white collar criminal defense. I can't really get into too much more on specific matters because of confidentiality. I think K&S is still reeling a bit from the fallout of Paul Clement's departure over DOMA, so maybe they took it as a way of showing can still take unpopular clients.I've moved on to a couple of other BigLaws since K&S, but will keep quiet on their identities. :unsure:

At white collar criminal defense. I can't really get into too much more on specific matters because of confidentiality. I think K&S is still reeling a bit from the fallout of Paul Clement's departure over DOMA, so maybe they took it as a way of showing can still take unpopular clients.I've moved on to a couple of other BigLaws since K&S, but will keep quiet on their identities. :unsure:
Interesting stuff. :thumbup:

'krista4 said:

No. The strategy is to protect him from any possible criminal charge first. If he's named in a civil suit he can always hire a civil attorney later. I have a relationship with a criminal attorney where he refers any clients to me who get sued in civil court. We work very closely together because the number one priority is to always keep our client out of jail. Unless and until the threat of criminal sanctions passes, he takes the lead.
I understand that and knowing what we know and suspecting what we suspect, it's probably a good idea. It just seems to indicate that what we suspect may in fact be true.

Did you know Sandusky wrote a book?

STATE COLLEGE -- Copies of Jerry Sandusky's autobiography "Touched" were still available for purchase in The Penn State Bookstore as of mid-afternoon Friday.Sandusky, Penn State's former defensive coordinator, is charged with sexually abusing eight children. In the wake of the Sandusky investigation, the university's board of trustees fired legendary coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier. In addition, the Attorney General's office has charged former athletic director Tim Curley with perjury as a result of the investigation."It is hopefully just a mistake, that they still have that [book] out and it's still available here,'' said one recent Penn State alum who glanced at the book, just to make sure it really was on sale. He asked that his name not be used.Nope. It's not an oversight. A university bookstore spokesman said he was aware the book, which explores Sandusky's work with the children's charity he founded, The Second MIle, and his football career, was on display. It's located in the middle of the store, located on Pollack Road, not far from Old Main.The Sandusky book can be found in a row entitled "Local Interest Section", between "Living Without Electricity", by Stephen Scott and Kenneth Pellman, and "The New Face of Small-Town America: Snapshots of Latino Life in Allentown, Pa..'', by Edgar Sandoval."I don't really have a comment on that,''' said a book store spokesman. "We haven't changed any operating procedure.''The same grad who was hopeful that the book availability was an "oversight", then frowned at the news it wasn't."That is shameful, to try and promote that [book], in my opinion,'' said the alum, who made trip from Washington, D.C. for Saturday's Penn State-Nebraska game at Beaver Stadium at noon."That fact that it's in Penn State's bookstore is really hard to believe,'' said another alum, originally from Lewistown, Pa. She also declined to be identified.She added: "I'm struggling with the question why JoePa had to be fired and to see this, it's disappointing.''She was asked if she thought The Penn State Bookstore should pull the book from the shelf."I would hope they would,'' she said.

Users who are viewing this thread