What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

Joe Paterno Big Ten Championship Trophy, wait
Wasn't it the Stagg-Paterno Trophy?
That might be right. They just said on ESPN that the Big Ten has decided to remove Paterno's name. I don't think they didn't get any more specific than that (TVs on in the other room).
Yeah, just the Stagg Championship Trophy now. http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/33310400

For Penn State "supporters" to try to bring up Citadel as a means of defense is kind of strange.

But for people to minimize the Citadel thing in light of Penn State is losing sight of this.

One kid, one time, is an unacceptably high amount. I don't know how we'll get past this, as a society, but there is no such thing as "better" in this discussion. I know Citadel probably prides itself on discipline and all that crap, and comes from a similar elitist place that other institutions like the Catholic church came from which makes their certainly more ironic and likely uglier due to the level of trust. But any way this goes down is awful. I would hope our collective and national dialogue would at some point move past hand wringing and finger pointing. I think the only thing to be salvaged from this situation is a meaningful national dialogue on how to eliminate this problem.

But to split hairs over this, I don't know. I don't know how productive our dialogue is at this point. Even those that bicker would have to, i hope, agree that this is simply a terrible, terrible thing. We have scores of damaged children and I pray that they someone can defy the typical and simply find a way to move past this old fool diddling them. Instead of ranking molestation cases though, and instead of wearing stupid blue ribbons and having moments of silence(to celebrate years of silence), we should focus on the only societial salvation of ALL victims of molesting; creating a means to bring permanent light into this darkness.

And to that end, about what we can do, a thought. In this technological age, maybe we need to offer kids more in the way of having a safe way to report any and all abuse. Many have phones, offer a texing means, or if not, an email means of simply maybe giving them a way to report a potentially embarassing problem(embarassing to them). Of course, someone needs to monitor this new technology. Fund it Penn State.
Agreed.I just haven't seen anyone trying to minimize the Citadel situation. Just pointing out that, other than the fact that it involves sexual abuse, the situations are apples and oranges.
Unfortunately to the victims, they're not. And it also speaks to a systemic silence about the inconvenient truth of revelation, which as I said I think plagues many of these situations. Due to the horrorific nature of the act itself, people don't want to face it, they don't want to be stained by it, either personally or as administration and/or management. And the obvious irony is, look how much institutoins look when this sort of thing finds daylight, which I'd like to say it always does but who knows how true that is.
Did you ignore the phrase right before what you bolded in my post?
No, I read the followup from the portion of your point listed above. Whether you intend to or not, you at least coming off as if the Penn State situation is worse. I truly don't want to fight about this because we're on the same side. But right now, we're at a stalemate in this situation. It is imaginably terrible. I think even the most ardent PSU apologists are realizing that now. Its a court case and we are not a jury. My personal opinion is, the most productive direction we can take now is to figure out as a country and a world how we can stem the tide of this awfulness. The salacious specifics and the rehashing of them, are less interesting to me.

Maybe I'm threadcraping in here, and on the one hand I don't mean to troll, but on the other hand, I see a lot of positive energy here as far as people CARING about this issue. We all do, or we all should, I suppose, but as PSU shows, it can slip between the cracks. This thread found its place in a strict dissection of details, but its personally sickening to me at this point on some level. And yes, I realize we are less than a week out from this breaking, but short of new, substantiated developments in regard to this case, then we are going in circles.

What I guess I would like to hope to see, maybe taking this from an unimaginatively dark place and somehow reclaiming the legacies involved. Not of Paterno and Sandusky but of the children involved. No amount of money will undo whats been done, and the past is the past. The future, however, is unwritten. If we learn from this and translate that knowledge into action and awareness that prevents all, some or one case of future abuse, we will have honored these children who are now adults in some cases in a truly meaningful way.

No, I read the followup from the portion of your point listed above. Whether you intend to or not, you at least coming off as if the Penn State situation is worse.

I truly don't want to fight about this because we're on the same side. But right now, we're at a stalemate in this situation. It is imaginably terrible. I think even the most ardent PSU apologists are realizing that now. Its a court case and we are not a jury. My personal opinion is, the most productive direction we can take now is to figure out as a country and a world how we can stem the tide of this awfulness. The salacious specifics and the rehashing of them, are less interesting to me.

Maybe I'm threadcraping in here, and on the one hand I don't mean to troll, but on the other hand, I see a lot of positive energy here as far as people CARING about this issue. We all do, or we all should, I suppose, but as PSU shows, it can slip between the cracks. This thread found its place in a strict dissection of details, but its personally sickening to me at this point on some level. And yes, I realize we are less than a week out from this breaking, but short of new, substantiated developments in regard to this case, then we are going in circles.

What I guess I would like to hope to see, maybe taking this from an unimaginatively dark place and somehow reclaiming the legacies involved. Not of Paterno and Sandusky but of the children involved. No amount of money will undo whats been done, and the past is the past. The future, however, is unwritten. If we learn from this and translate that knowledge into action and awareness that prevents all, some or one case of future abuse, we will have honored these children who are now adults in some cases in a truly meaningful way.
Because of the ongoing, predatory nature of the molestations, and the ongoing, systemic nature of the coverup, the PSU situation IS worse. Not sure how you can make an argument in the other direction. Yes, the acts of molestation affect all victims equally, but that doesn't make both situations equivalent.

This was OUTSIDE the program...it had ZERO to do with the team.
this is simply not accurate at all.
It's 100% accurate unless you take the stance that Paterno really IS the alpha and omega of the football program. Sorry...I don't buy that stance. Recruiting and actual coaching were unaffected. Sandusky used facilities, but he didn't report to Joe Paterno...he wasn't even a coach anymore!If a coach gets caught drunk driving...is that on the coach or the program? If a coach murders his wife...is that on the program? This incident has nothing to do with the coach or the team, and everything to do with the individuals named. Do you expect NCAA sanctions? I wouldn't,because it had nothing to do with the on field athletic product. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing.....campus police are real cops, at least on a major campus like that. Reporting an incident to campus police isshould be every bit equivalent to calling city police.
I had to step away from this thread for a few days, but this guy is shtick right?

I do have this to add...

Why was the Big 10 trophy named the Joe Paterno trophy anyway? Looking at it the man won 3 Big 10 titles, which puts him in the elite company of men like Gary Moeller and John Copper, both LEGENDARY LEADERS in the Big 10...

It should have been the Lloyd Carr trophy before the Joe Paterno trophy, i am just saying...

I'll never understand, in general, the kind of university fervor that helped build this mess. I went to a big college, partied, did well, left with a degree. I remember my time at college fondly, and I don't know why it should be any more than that. People that worship a freaking college football coach are...misguided. I don't understand why someone being associated with a school you went to is enough to make an otherwise intelligent person extremely biased. That goes for people who are anti-Paterno too, and really applies to the entire culture of alumni feelings that people have.

Students who talk about what Joe Paterno has "done for them" are complete idiots. Having anything to do with covering up the RAPE OF A CHILD should not be discussed in the same galaxy as what someone has done/accomplished at their JOB. It's no different than a top salesman, star quarterback, or the best freaking burger-flipper at BK. It doesn't make him your friend, it doesn't make him a good person, and it doesn't make him worthy of your blind defense in the face of allegations that he was complicit in the cover-up of children getting raped by an old man.
:goodposting: Actually, great posting.
I don't think the "Paterno has done so much" has anything to do with him as a coach. They're referring to his donations, etc.; he's done more for his university than any other coach I can think of, and it's not particularly close.

I do have this to add...Why was the Big 10 trophy named the Joe Paterno trophy anyway? Looking at it the man won 3 Big 10 titles, which puts him in the elite company of men like Gary Moeller and John Copper, both LEGENDARY LEADERS in the Big 10...It should have been the Lloyd Carr trophy before the Joe Paterno trophy, i am just saying...
Yeah, but Joe did it with honor and integrity...oh, wait.

I do have this to add...Why was the Big 10 trophy named the Joe Paterno trophy anyway? Looking at it the man won 3 Big 10 titles, which puts him in the elite company of men like Gary Moeller and John Copper, both LEGENDARY LEADERS in the Big 10...It should have been the Lloyd Carr trophy before the Joe Paterno trophy, i am just saying...
Yeah, but Joe did it with honor and integrity...oh, wait.
i am not dissing him as a coach, ok maybe a bit, but much of his career was before he even entered the Big 10just oddanyway, it was probably dickish to PSU people to bring that up in here, sorry

Has anyone discussed why Sandusky got ZERO coaching offers after his "retirement" from Penn State? The guy was at the height of his coaching career, and a defensive genius, and no other school is interested in him? It seems to me that maybe it was known among coaches about his "issues"? Something smells here.

JoePa was one of the big name coaches to coach in the B10I also wonder if it was part of the deal to get PSU in the B10 as opposed to the Big East...

JoePa was one of the big name coaches to coach in the B10I also wonder if it was part of the deal to get PSU in the B10 as opposed to the Big East...
You think PSU joined the Big Ten so that 18 years after it joined, the Big Ten would name its championship trophy after the coach?

Has anyone discussed why Sandusky got ZERO coaching offers after his "retirement" from Penn State? The guy was at the height of his coaching career, and a defensive genius, and no other school is interested in him? It seems to me that maybe it was known among coaches about his "issues"? Something smells here.
Only about every other page.

Yep, pretty sure his issues where known amongst the coaching circles at PSU before the first investigation as well. It was posted earlier but Joe knows everything about that program and for as blatant as this guy was I have to think it wasn't the first time he got caught. Joe told him he wouldn't be head coach, guessing it pointed squarely to this. Word travels, people close to Joe had to ask why did Sandusky retire so abruptly? I'd like to think that Joe put the word out not to hire the guy but given everything that has come to light in the last few weeks I'm not so sure.

Yep, pretty sure his issues where known amongst the coaching circles at PSU before the first investigation as well. It was posted earlier but Joe knows everything about that program and for as blatant as this guy was I have to think it wasn't the first time he got caught. Joe told him he wouldn't be head coach, guessing it pointed squarely to this. Word travels, people close to Joe had to ask why did Sandusky retire so abruptly? I'd like to think that Joe put the word out not to hire the guy but given everything that has come to light in the last few weeks I'm not so sure.
What does him not interviewing with or getting offers from other programs across the country have to do with what people at PSU knew? College football people knew who Sandusky was. It's not like they were calling for references before they would bring him in for an interview. Either Sandusky declined to go elsewhere because he was comfortable or people outside PSU knew also.

Pretty sure Parrothead is related to Sandusky or Paterno.
I've ignored you for 89 pages- but please point me to the post where I defended Paterno or Sandusky (you kidding me?? :rolleyes: ).. otherwise, ####
You come across as a complete apologist for child rape enablers. Everyone is calling you "creepy" and "jackhole" and saying you are way off base. But you're right, it is everyone but you.
again- prove it = where did I defend Paterno or Sandusky? Give me a break.. read the thread
Parrothead, I know you are angry and ashamed at the individuals involving this scandal. I feel bad for you and for all the other Penn St grads regarding this. But you really need to lay off comparing this to anything else, even the Citadel story. If you want to talk about the Citadel story, you should make a new thread. Otherwise, even if you don't try to draw comparisons, everyone here will think you are posting it here to deflect the message board hate to Citadel. Because of that, people are going to take shots at you that you nor the board need. Can you just drop the Citadel stuff in this thread? Thanks.

What does him not interviewing with or getting offers from other programs across the country have to do with what people at PSU knew? College football people knew who Sandusky was. It's not like they were calling for references before they would bring him in for an interview. Either Sandusky declined to go elsewhere because he was comfortable or people outside PSU knew also.
I think Sandusky declined to look for other jobs because he wanted to stay close to Second Mile, for obvious reasons.

I think Sandusky declined to look for other jobs because he wanted to stay close to Second Mile, for obvious reasons.
Agreed. He had built his little kingdom and had his perfect scenario. He was drawing a $60K pension from PSU, and another $57K from Second Mile. He was still a BMOC at PSU and everyone was protecting his little secret. Why would he ever leave?

I haven't been following this part of it but what are the chances PSU football gets the death penalty?

If you can give it to SMU for what they did, why not for this?

This woman makes some very good points.

20 People in Sandusky Indictment But Only One Told PoliceAnd that would be the mother of Victim #6 — 3 were police. Penn State Police may not have even told each other.Go ahead and read this madness, only then can you grasp true insanity: Sandusky-indictment. Over 23 pages 20 people are mentioned: 19 men and 1 woman.Take a guess who called the police?Was it because she could care less about games and legends? Or was it that she had something painfully missing in this tragedy: Common sense.Anyone listening to the several embarrassing interviews of Steeler “legend” Franco Harris on national TV knows that even after knowing what we know now the obsession with a football coach and games can trump all else — even the safety and welfare of children. Someone ask Franco what he’d be saying if his son was involved. This Children-of-the-Corn like plague at the alter of Penn State apparently has overtaken Harris but it didn’t overtake the mother of Victim #6.Her complaint prompted the farthest action up to 2009 and the best chance to stop a pedophile. Not even missing District Attorney Ray Gricar made what he knew (as a result of the mother of Victim #6) public enough to protect children who would later become victims of pedophile Sandusky from 1998 thru 2007. Sandusky could have been stopped if just one of the 20 people the indictment mentions figured out how to dial 911.Then again who knows.According to the indictment, the mother of Victim #6 contacted the Police at Penn State. What did that yield?Nothing.People say whistleblower Mike McQueary should have done more. Probably true. But in a society where doing the right thing often goes unrewarded, that he did the minimum should be a surprise to no one. Keep in mind the victim McQueary witnessed being raped by Sandusky at 10 p.m. at night in a Penn State sports facility is unknown. The legends at Penn State Franco Harris refers to on TV didn’t even bother to try and find out who the victim was. That was 2002. Here we are 11 years later and they played a game on Saturday. Watch for federal involvement. These people need all the outside involvement they can get.

In fairness, how do you know he didn't get any?

I haven't been following this part of it but what are the chances PSU football gets the death penalty?If you can give it to SMU for what they did, why not for this?
"The NCAA will defer in the immediate term to law enforcement officials since this situation involved alleged crimes," president Mark Emmert said Thursday. "As the facts are established through the justice system, we will determine whether association bylaws have been violated and act accordingly." :shrug:

Don't know if anybody posted this yet.. big thread

chart
I can see how Paterno could eventually be cleared in the public's opinion (somewhat). If you aren't sure McQueary is telling the truth (maybe he and Sandsusky didn't like each other), and you know the PSU + law enforcement know about it you assume everything is alleged and under investigation. Just saying it's possible...

chart
I can see how Paterno could eventually be cleared in the public's opinion (somewhat). If you aren't sure McQueary is telling the truth (maybe he and Sandsusky didn't like each other), and you know the PSU + law enforcement know about it you assume everything is alleged and under investigation. Just saying it's possible...
for 9 years...with either a child molestor around your program or the kind of person who would lie about child abuse being promoted up through your ranksno need to figure out which, both pretty harmless

If you aren't sure McQueary is telling the truth (maybe he and Sandsusky didn't like each other), and you know the PSU + law enforcement know about it you assume everything is alleged and under investigation. Just saying it's possible...
#1 If he thinks McQueary isn't telling the truth or is untrustworthy in any way, how does he make him a coach and recruiting coordinator within a year or two?#2 If he thinks the accusations from 2002 are true and is aware of anything from earlier, how does he do nothing when he sees the school administration take no action against Sandusky? How does he let a child rapist and pedophile hang around his locker room and players for another 9 years?

So sad. "It's a very good question... I know that Joe and Jerry weren't buds, they weren't, so I'm not sure how that ended up where he had access, but you're absolutely right he should not have had access" -Franco Harris when asked how Sandusky is allowed to be on campus all those years.

Apparently Paterno isn't responsible for that either, Joe couldn't tell him to be gone and stay gone. What a joke.

You think PSU joined the Big Ten so that 18 years after it joined, the Big Ten would name its championship trophy after the coach?
He said "part of the deal." Maybe it was included. Legacy means a lot in CFB. As we're seeing in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

chart
But that leaves you with one of two results, neither of which should be tolerable. Sandusky is a pedophile or McQueary is despicable enough to falsely accuse someone of being a pedophile. Yet both remained.

She also makes some bad points and some sketchy implications. "Men bad, women good". :rolleyes:
women are more likely to report incidents like this.
Because they are women? Or because they are parents?
Many of the men who chose to stay silent are/were parents.
Parents of Sandusky victims, or just parents?

She also makes some bad points and some sketchy implications. "Men bad, women good". :rolleyes:
women are more likely to report incidents like this.
Because they are women? Or because they are parents?
Many of the men who chose to stay silent are/were parents.
I guess I was being too obtuse. Let me rephrase:1. the article implied that females were inherently more likely to call police.2. I am suggesting that it had less to do with the person's gender, and more to do with the fact that the person was a parent of a victim.

chart
But that leaves you with one of two results, neither of which should be tolerable. Sandusky is a pedophile or McQueary is despicable enough to falsely accuse someone of being a pedophile. Yet both remained.
Agree. Just saying it's possible. Things always change when you hear the other side of the story.His reasons may be wrong, but I doubt we find out that Joe Pa has been fooling us for almost 50 years and is really a dirty old man who doesn't mind a little child abuse or is a completely unscrupulous coward. Doesn't add up. There must be something in there that caused him to justify his inaction.

chart
Agree. Just saying it's possible. Things always change when you hear the other side of the story.His reasons may be wrong, but I doubt we find out that Joe Pa has been fooling us for almost 50 years and is really a dirty old man who doesn't mind a little child abuse or is a completely unscrupulous coward. Doesn't add up. There must be something in there that caused him to justify his inaction.
You mean like the priests and bishops who helped coverup child molestation for decades? Nah, you're right, no way someone could have talked one way and acted another.

chart
Sure there is, dedication to PSU and PSU football over all else. We have seen it by otherwise great men in other places, when the organization becomes more important than people you can dismiss awful things to protect the organizationI'll gladly listen to what he has to say, but short of alienas replacing him with a joepa clone from Zargon7 I have trouble seeing a side of it that makes him look like he did the right thing. HE even said he should have done more.

chart
You mean like the priests and bishops who helped coverup child molestation for decades? Nah, you're right, no way someone could have talked one way and acted another.
If Penn Staters cannot cite the Citadel, you cannot cite the church.

Users who are viewing this thread