What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

No Easy Answers for Mike McQueary

Some interesting discussion from an FBI agents who specialized in interrogating pedophiles.

Just after 9:30 on the night of March 1, 2002, Mike McQueary walked into the Lasch Football Building to drop a pair of gym shoes in his locker and pick up some recruiting tapes. According to the grand jury report, McQueary heard rhythmic slapping sounds in the shower that he said sounded like sexual activity. When McQueary went to see what was happening, he found Sandusky raping the boy, according to the report.

In the grand jury report, McQueary was described as "distraught." But until we hear from him, we'll never know what he was thinking, feeling or experiencing at that moment. There are few people in the world who can relate. Few who can truly say they know how they'd respond.

Jane Turner is one of them. For 25 years she worked for the FBI as a psychological profiler and an expert in child crimes. She would get child molesters to crack and confess. Law enforcement agencies would bring her in to teach investigators criminal profiling, crime scene assessment, the profiling of sexual offenders and how to interview child victims.

In 1999, she blew the whistle on a series of failures in the bureau to provide protection for child sex crime victims on North Dakota Indian reservations. Her allegations included the cover-up of a rape of a 2-year-old child by declaring her injuries the result of a car accident, and failure to follow-up on evidence that a television personality was sexually molesting children on the reservation. She also caught a fellow agent inappropriately touching a boy at an FBI firing range.

The moment she took her claims to her boss, her life forever changed. She now observes what McQueary is going through as eerily similar.

"Whether you have Penn State, the Catholic Church or the FBI, it's the same phenomenon," said Turner, now a featured speaker for the whistleblowers center's speakers bureau. "An insular culture and a hierarchy where the reputation of the institution is often more important than anything else.

"All of them give you a tremendous amount of power, adulation and glory. There was nothing better than to flash my creds and say 'FBI.' [McQueary] had the same things. The power. The glory. People think you're something special. And it becomes your family. The FBI was my substance, my identity. It was everything. He had the exact same thing."

While it isn't known what happened in the shower between McQueary and Sandusky, Turner said that given her expertise it would have been "100 percent normal" for McQueary to freeze, panic and shut down after seeing what he said he saw.

Turner said most adults have never even seen a photo of a man having sexual relations with a young boy, much less witnessed it. Further complicating things, Turner said, was the fact that Sandusky was seen as a role model in the community and someone McQueary had known nearly his entire life.

"You're trying to comprehend something your brain can't handle," Turner said. "You can't rationalize it. Compute it. Handle it. Most people turn around and walk away. And then they try to figure out, 'Oh my God. What the hell did I just see?' The people who say they would go in there and break it up? They're wrong. Nine times out of 10, that's just not how the human brain works."

In Turner's case, when her superiors disregarded her claims about her colleagues, she took them higher and higher up the FBI ladder, all the way to then-director Louis Freeh. According to the grand jury report, McQueary told Paterno, Curley and Schultz but stopped there. He was never questioned by police. And there is no mention in the report of McQueary approaching the police on his own. Tuesday, The Morning Call of Allentown, Pa., reported that McQueary e-mailed a friend that he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of the police."

It also has been reported that even after the incident, McQueary continued to be a supporter of Sandusky at various charity events. Despite all the uncertainty, questions and criticism, Turner understands why a whistleblower might choose to go silent.

"As time passes, you're not going to rock the boat. You're not going to do that. It's your family. Your life. Your career. Your self-identity. Put it on the line and you're going to get destroyed," Turner said. "You walk away from everything. How many people have a moral compass in which they are truly willing to do that? Damn few. Because they get vilified."

The Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law, instituted in 1975, declares that any individual who comes in contact with children in the course of his her work and believes that a child has been abused is required to notify a person in charge, but not the police. Corbett, Pennsylvania's governor, has said in the wake of this scandal he'd like to see the law strengthened to require witnesses to contact police.

McQueary is believed to have whistleblower protection, which likely is one of the reasons Penn State has placed him on paid administrative leave rather than firing him.

Turner was fired from the FBI in 2003 and four years later won a $1.4 million settlement against the bureau that included back pay and her lawyer's fees. With the information that has been made available to the public thus far, Turner said she doesn't view McQueary as a hero or a villain. Like many whistleblowers, she said, the answer is somewhere in between.

"He's a whistleblower with feet of clay," she said. "He's not perfect. He's not a saint. He's a human being. And he has to live with that."

Turner did give McQueary credit for testifying before the grand jury knowing the potential fallout.

"He had to know that day, sitting in that room, that this ride was going to be a bumpy one," she said. "And now he's learning that."
ETA: add relevant spoiler quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
If I've learned anything this year it's reasonable doubt is an easy thing to get into the minds of a jury. Unless someone has video evidence of him raping these children all the defense has to do is say, hey it was just horse play and people don't know what they saw...
what about the victim who points him out and says "yeah, that guy raped me when I was a young boy"?why do people keep acting like the victims are not going to be part of this trial?

If I've learned anything this year it's reasonable doubt is an easy thing to get into the minds of a jury. Unless someone has video evidence of him raping these children all the defense has to do is say, hey it was just horse play and people don't know what they saw...
what about the victim who points him out and says "yeah, that guy raped me when I was a young boy"?why do people keep acting like the victims are not going to be part of this trial?
They will be. And they could be very compelling. But people need to keep in mind that the grand jury report is different fron grand jury testimony, which differs from pre-trial depositions, and that testimony in front of a jury is even more different still. Under cross-examination recollecting events in detail as many as 13 years ago could be difficult or could be powerful depending on the witness.

Not sure if some of this has been covered already, but here are some salient facts that are now coming to light (source Steve Czaban)

-The Lawyer for Sandusky not only got a 17 year old girl preggo, but he then represented her in an emancipation trial to get out from underneath her parents.

-The girl now 32 is divorced from Joe Amendola and has changed her name on Facebook from Mary Amendola, to Mary Christmas (not making this up) because her ex is representing Sandusky.

-Joe Pa did not attend Jerry's retirement ceremony/party, no reason was given but this seems impossible unless Joepa was gravely sick. What it was is Joepa wanting nothing to do with Sandusky, and really an admission of guilt IMO.

-McQuery played golf in Sandusky's charity golf tournament a few weeks after witnessing what he is alleged to have witnessed. He played the following year also, real stand-up guy. :thumbup:

-Less than two years after Sandusky "retired" at the prime age of 55 and as one of the hottest assistants in college football, Terry Holland and UVa came calling. They went to Happy Valley to interview him and then went back two weeks later in what was assumed was a trip to make Sandusky a formal offer to be the coach at UVa. Without explanation they came back, and Sandusky's name was out of the conversation at UVa.

-After Sandusky "retired" he was given a "beneficial land deal" by the Penn State university board of trustees. What was he going to use the land for you ask? To build overnight dormitories to host children from Second Mile.

That last one is huge. If true this absolutely shows a complete disregard for the safety of children by Penn State and a complete lack of institutional integrity. I think that and a few more skeletons which will surely be dug up, really could lead to the end of football at Penn State for awhile. The more they find, the more it will show that the university avoided the entire criminal fiasco with very active denial. :2cents:

-After Sandusky "retired" he was given a "beneficial land deal" by the Penn State university board of trustees. What was he going to use the land for you ask? To build overnight dormitories to host children from Second Mile. That last one is huge. If true this absolutely shows a complete disregard for the safety of children by Penn State and a complete lack of institutional integrity. I think that and a few more skeletons which will surely be dug up, really could lead to the end of football at Penn State for awhile. The more they find, the more it will show that the university avoided the entire criminal fiasco with very active denial. :2cents:
Heard this one on the radio on the way home from work. Just when you think this story can't get any weirder.........

Not sure if some of this has been covered already, but here are some salient facts that are now coming to light (source Steve Czaban)-The Lawyer for Sandusky not only got a 17 year old girl preggo, but he then represented her in an emancipation trial to get out from underneath her parents.-The girl now 32 is divorced from Joe Amendola and has changed her name on Facebook from Mary Amendola, to Mary Christmas (not making this up) because her ex is representing Sandusky.-Joe Pa did not attend Jerry's retirement ceremony/party, no reason was given but this seems impossible unless Joepa was gravely sick. What it was is Joepa wanting nothing to do with Sandusky, and really an admission of guilt IMO. -McQuery played golf in Sandusky's charity golf tournament a few weeks after witnessing what he is alleged to have witnessed. He played the following year also, real stand-up guy. :thumbup: -Less than two years after Sandusky "retired" at the prime age of 55 and as one of the hottest assistants in college football, Terry Holland and UVa came calling. They went to Happy Valley to interview him and then went back two weeks later in what was assumed was a trip to make Sandusky a formal offer to be the coach at UVa. Without explanation they came back, and Sandusky's name was out of the conversation at UVa.-After Sandusky "retired" he was given a "beneficial land deal" by the Penn State university board of trustees. What was he going to use the land for you ask? To build overnight dormitories to host children from Second Mile. That last one is huge. If true this absolutely shows a complete disregard for the safety of children by Penn State and a complete lack of institutional integrity. I think that and a few more skeletons which will surely be dug up, really could lead to the end of football at Penn State for awhile. The more they find, the more it will show that the university avoided the entire criminal fiasco with very active denial. :2cents:
Damn. Especially to the last one. The skeletons that are going to tumble out of PSU's closet are going to be mighty interesting.

-After Sandusky "retired" he was given a "beneficial land deal" by the Penn State university board of trustees. What was he going to use the land for you ask? To build overnight dormitories to host children from Second Mile. That last one is huge. If true this absolutely shows a complete disregard for the safety of children by Penn State and a complete lack of institutional integrity. I think that and a few more skeletons which will surely be dug up, really could lead to the end of football at Penn State for awhile. The more they find, the more it will show that the university avoided the entire criminal fiasco with very active denial. :2cents:
Heard this one on the radio on the way home from work. Just when you think this story can't get any weirder.........
And this is after the police investigation of Sandusky in '98, correct? Seriously, what the #### is going on out there?? Were they all in on it? You can't possibly be that ignorant or flat out ####### stupid to give land to the scum so he can build overnight dorms for the kids. This is beyond comprehension. I can't wait til someone REALLY blows the lid off of this powder keg. ETA: and they all burn.

If McQueary did inform the police back in 2002 as he is now claiming, then many suppositions about this story may be wrong. In fact, nothing about this story makes a whole lot of sense at this point.

And maybe more issues for PSU. A culture of coverups and ignoring abuse?

Arizona man says Penn State officials ignored his report of abuse by a former professor

Published: Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 6:55 PM Updated: Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 7:03 PM

By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

During a rally Tuesday to call for action on child sex abuse bills at the Pennsylvania Capitol In Harrisburg, Paul McLaughlin of Phoenix, Ariz., said that as a child he was abused by a Penn State professor from 1977 through 1981. Because the statute of limitations on the alleged crimes had expired, he was unable to pursue any other legal avenues.

If anything inspiring has come from State College in the last 12 days, it’s a story about how the voice of one teen boy has been so powerful.

In the last week and a half, the president of The Citadel military college has admitted to handling child sex abuse allegations the wrong way. Several victims, emboldened by those who came forward in the Jerry Sandusky investigation, came forward after keeping their alleged abuse secret for years.

Now, one alleged victim of child sex abuse is speaking publicly about what he calls a culture of secrecy at Penn State.

When he first heard the allegations in the 40-count indictment of Sandusky, “I was enraged, very upset,” Paul McLaughlin said. The 45-year-old Arizona man said he was abused by a former Penn State professor and then ignored by university officials.

Sandusky spoke publicly for the first time Monday night. On NBC News’ “Rock Center,” he denied doing anything of a sexual nature, saying he only horsed around, hugged and touched boys in showers.

The charges stem from a three-year grand jury investigation that began when a 15-year-old told school officials that Sandusky had been abusing him over several years. That investigation led police to find five more victims, and two eyewitness accounts of abuse that were never reported.

In one of those cases, according to the grand jury, Penn State officials were told about the abuse but took no action except to ban Sandusky from bringing kids into the football building.

McLaughlin said it wasn’t the first time that former Penn State President Graham Spanier ignored a report of possible child sex abuse.

McLaughlin said he also brought forward concerns about abuse — unrelated to Sandusky, but instead about a special-education professor, who McLaughlin accused of abusing him when he was a boy in New Jersey.

In a civil lawsuit that McLaughlin later filed — and then settled — in the state of New Jersey, he details allegations of abuse by John T. Neisworth and a California man, Carl Geoke.

McLaughlin went to the dean of education, David Monk, and to then-president Spanier in early 2002. Both men, he said, brushed him off.

Spanier, Monk, Neisworth, Penn State in-house counsel Cynthia Baldwin and spokesman Bill Mahon could not be reached for this story.

Documents obtained by The Patriot-News support McLaughlin’s story.

“I have a tape where [Neisworth] admits the things he’d done,” McLaughlin said. “[spanier] treated it like an extortion attempt. I told him my concern was solely to get him away from children.”

Finally, he found his voice through articles in The Daily Collegian and Centre Daily Times, and by publicity in The Philadelphia Inquirer and other newspapers when he filed the lawsuit.

On Tuesday, McLaughlin was in Harrisburg rallying for a change in Pennsylvania laws that would allow adults who were victims of child sex abuse to have a wider window to file civil and criminal charges. Right now, the statute of limitations prevents anyone who was older than 23 in 2002 from seeking legal recourse.

“I lived through the abuse at the time, and then I lived through the recollection,” McLaughlin said. “And now I’m living through watching it happen again to other children.”

The Sandusky case has motivated him to return to the public eye.

“I really feel like I’ve got no choice,” he said. “People need to know what’s going on, not just at Penn State, but in a lot of corporate, business, foundations, things like that. ... Large entities handle these situations because they think about the bottom line, not about the children.”

Enough is enough

At The Citadel, officials are admitting they didn’t do enough after learning that a coach abused at least five boys during camps in recent years.

It was brought to the school’s attention in 2007, and an internal investigation was done, but police were never told.

“At the time, we took what we thought were the necessary steps. It’s now clear we should have done more,” the Citadel’s president, retired Lt. Gen. John Rosa, told The Associated Press.

Seeing the Penn State case play out on a national scale has been overwhelming for some of the victims and their families. But there are short moments of hope, and this is one of them:

A 17-year-old suburban Philadelphia boy who kept secret for years an allegation of rape when he was a 9-year-old boy at a camp in the Poconos, is coming forward to police. He found the courage to tell his story after reading about the Penn State victims.

“He’s just come forward. I was the first person he told the story to,” attorney Samuel A. Anyan Jr. said. “[He] was told, like a lot of people, if you tell someone, we’ll kill you and your family.

“Years went by, he was withdrawn. He watched the Penn State story unfold. Because of the Penn State story, he finally agreed enough is enough. His mother just was talking to him and said, ‘Look if you don’t speak out, they’re doing this to other kids.’”

Stories like that are the reason Victim One — the Clinton County boy who told the grand jury he had endured years of abuse by Sandusky — never wavered during a three-year police investigation that caused him to testify multiple times and keep a dark secret.

If encouraging other potential victims to come forward is one of the fruits of the Sandusky case, “that would be really nice,” his psychologist, Mike Gillum, said. “They’ve had to put up with so much adversity.”

© 2011 PennLive.com. All rights reserved.

No Easy Answers for Mike McQueary

Some interesting discussion from an FBI agents who specialized in interrogating pedophiles.

Just after 9:30 on the night of March 1, 2002, Mike McQueary walked into the Lasch Football Building to drop a pair of gym shoes in his locker and pick up some recruiting tapes. According to the grand jury report, McQueary heard rhythmic slapping sounds in the shower that he said sounded like sexual activity. When McQueary went to see what was happening, he found Sandusky raping the boy, according to the report.

In the grand jury report, McQueary was described as "distraught." But until we hear from him, we'll never know what he was thinking, feeling or experiencing at that moment. There are few people in the world who can relate. Few who can truly say they know how they'd respond.

Jane Turner is one of them. For 25 years she worked for the FBI as a psychological profiler and an expert in child crimes. She would get child molesters to crack and confess. Law enforcement agencies would bring her in to teach investigators criminal profiling, crime scene assessment, the profiling of sexual offenders and how to interview child victims.

In 1999, she blew the whistle on a series of failures in the bureau to provide protection for child sex crime victims on North Dakota Indian reservations. Her allegations included the cover-up of a rape of a 2-year-old child by declaring her injuries the result of a car accident, and failure to follow-up on evidence that a television personality was sexually molesting children on the reservation. She also caught a fellow agent inappropriately touching a boy at an FBI firing range.

The moment she took her claims to her boss, her life forever changed. She now observes what McQueary is going through as eerily similar.

"Whether you have Penn State, the Catholic Church or the FBI, it's the same phenomenon," said Turner, now a featured speaker for the whistleblowers center's speakers bureau. "An insular culture and a hierarchy where the reputation of the institution is often more important than anything else.

"All of them give you a tremendous amount of power, adulation and glory. There was nothing better than to flash my creds and say 'FBI.' [McQueary] had the same things. The power. The glory. People think you're something special. And it becomes your family. The FBI was my substance, my identity. It was everything. He had the exact same thing."

While it isn't known what happened in the shower between McQueary and Sandusky, Turner said that given her expertise it would have been "100 percent normal" for McQueary to freeze, panic and shut down after seeing what he said he saw.

Turner said most adults have never even seen a photo of a man having sexual relations with a young boy, much less witnessed it. Further complicating things, Turner said, was the fact that Sandusky was seen as a role model in the community and someone McQueary had known nearly his entire life.

"You're trying to comprehend something your brain can't handle," Turner said. "You can't rationalize it. Compute it. Handle it. Most people turn around and walk away. And then they try to figure out, 'Oh my God. What the hell did I just see?' The people who say they would go in there and break it up? They're wrong. Nine times out of 10, that's just not how the human brain works."

In Turner's case, when her superiors disregarded her claims about her colleagues, she took them higher and higher up the FBI ladder, all the way to then-director Louis Freeh. According to the grand jury report, McQueary told Paterno, Curley and Schultz but stopped there. He was never questioned by police. And there is no mention in the report of McQueary approaching the police on his own. Tuesday, The Morning Call of Allentown, Pa., reported that McQueary e-mailed a friend that he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of the police."

It also has been reported that even after the incident, McQueary continued to be a supporter of Sandusky at various charity events. Despite all the uncertainty, questions and criticism, Turner understands why a whistleblower might choose to go silent.

"As time passes, you're not going to rock the boat. You're not going to do that. It's your family. Your life. Your career. Your self-identity. Put it on the line and you're going to get destroyed," Turner said. "You walk away from everything. How many people have a moral compass in which they are truly willing to do that? Damn few. Because they get vilified."

The Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law, instituted in 1975, declares that any individual who comes in contact with children in the course of his her work and believes that a child has been abused is required to notify a person in charge, but not the police. Corbett, Pennsylvania's governor, has said in the wake of this scandal he'd like to see the law strengthened to require witnesses to contact police.

McQueary is believed to have whistleblower protection, which likely is one of the reasons Penn State has placed him on paid administrative leave rather than firing him.

Turner was fired from the FBI in 2003 and four years later won a $1.4 million settlement against the bureau that included back pay and her lawyer's fees. With the information that has been made available to the public thus far, Turner said she doesn't view McQueary as a hero or a villain. Like many whistleblowers, she said, the answer is somewhere in between.

"He's a whistleblower with feet of clay," she said. "He's not perfect. He's not a saint. He's a human being. And he has to live with that."

Turner did give McQueary credit for testifying before the grand jury knowing the potential fallout.

"He had to know that day, sitting in that room, that this ride was going to be a bumpy one," she said. "And now he's learning that."
ETA: add relevant spoiler quotes

Thanks, that's thought provoking.I fully agree with what she says about people not considering or understanding how a typical person would initially respond to seeing something like that.

-The Lawyer for Sandusky not only got a 17 year old girl preggo, but he then represented her in an emancipation trial to get out from underneath her parents.-McQuery played golf in Sandusky's charity golf tournament a few weeks after witnessing what he is alleged to have witnessed. He played the following year also, real stand-up guy. :thumbup:
- many sources list the girl's age as 16 when she was impregnated (and 17 when the baby was born). Amendola was 49.- not only did McQueary play in Sandusky's golf tournament, but he also played in two charity football games in which Sandusky was one of the coaches.

-The Lawyer for Sandusky not only got a 17 year old girl preggo, but he then represented her in an emancipation trial to get out from underneath her parents.-McQuery played golf in Sandusky's charity golf tournament a few weeks after witnessing what he is alleged to have witnessed. He played the following year also, real stand-up guy. :thumbup:
- many sources list the girl's age as 16 when she was impregnated (and 17 when the baby was born). Amendola was 49.- not only did McQueary play in Sandusky's golf tournament, but he also played in two charity football games in which Sandusky was one of the coaches.
No matter how you slice it, I don't think there's any way that anybody in this situations doesn't end up looking horrible when it's all said and done.

Link

Paterno Turns Home Over to Wife for $1

By MARK VIERA and PETE THAMEL

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno transferred full ownership of his house to his wife, Sue, for $1 in July, less than four months before a sexual abuse scandal engulfed his Penn State football program and the university.

Documents filed in Centre County, Pa., show that on July 21, Paterno’s house near campus was turned over to “Suzanne P. Paterno, trustee” for a dollar plus “love and affection.” The couple had previously held joint ownership of the house, which they bought in 1969 for $58,000.

According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40. Wick Sollers, a lawyer for Paterno, said in an e-mail that the Paternos had been engaged in a “multiyear estate planning program,” and the transfer “was simply one element of that plan.” He said it had nothing to do with the scandal.

Paterno, who was fired as the football coach at the university last week, has been judged harshly by many for failing to take more aggressive action when he learned of a suspected sexual assault of a child by one of his former top assistants.

Some legal experts, in trying to gauge the legal exposure of the university and its top officials to lawsuits brought by suspected victims of the assistant, Jerry Sandusky, have theorized that Paterno could be a target of civil actions. On Nov. 5, Sandusky, Penn State’s former defensive coordinator, was charged with 40 counts related to the reported sexual abuse of eight boys over 15 years. Paterno, 84, was among those called to give testimony before a grand jury during the investigation, which began in 2009.

Experts in estate planning and tax law, in interviews, cautioned that it would be hard to determine the Paternos’ motivation simply from the available documents. It appears the family house had been the subject of years of complex and confusing transactions.

Lawrence A. Frolik, a law professor at the University of Pittsburgh who specializes in elder law, said that he had “never heard” of a husband selling his share of a house for $1 to his spouse for tax or government assistance purposes.

“I can’t see any tax advantages,” Frolik said. “If someone told me that, my reaction would be, ‘Are they hoping to shield assets in case if there’s personal liability?’ ” He added, “It sounds like an attempt to avoid personal liability in having assets in his wife’s name.”

Two lawyers examined the available documents in recent days. Neither wanted to be identified because they were not directly involved in the case or the property transaction. One of the experts said it appeared to be an explicit effort to financially shield Joe Paterno. The other regarded the July transaction, at least on its face, as benign.

Last Wednesday, the university’s board of trustees fired Paterno and Graham B. Spanier, the university’s president.

In 2002, Mike McQueary, then a graduate assistant in the football program, told Paterno that he had seen Sandusky with a boy in the football building’s showers. How explicit McQueary was in describing what he saw is in dispute. But according to state prosecutors, Paterno testified under oath that McQueary had told him that he had seen Sandusky doing something of a sexual nature to a roughly 10-year-old boy.

Paterno did not report the incident to the police or encourage McQueary to make such a report. Instead, he passed along the allegation the next day to the university’s athletic department and one other senior administrator.

On the day he was fired last week, Paterno said he and his wife were praying for the victims, described the events as a tragedy and admitted that he wished he had done more in 2002.

“Coach Paterno wants to tell his side of the story and answer questions, and I am hopeful he will be able to do so down the road,” said Sollers, Paterno’s lawyer.

The lawyer whose name is attached to the latest matter involving the couple’s house is David C. Pohland of Cassidy, Kotjarapoglus & Pohland of Greensburg, Pa. Pohland did not return a telephone message on Tuesday. The maiden name of Sue Paterno, who is 13 years younger than her husband, is Pohland. It was uncertain if there was any relation between her and the lawyer.

Nate Schweber and Jo Becker contributed reporting.

If McQueary did inform the police back in 2002 as he is now claiming, then many suppositions about this story may be wrong. In fact, nothing about this story makes a whole lot of sense at this point.
When has it ever made sense?
Well look, there's a lot of people who want to destroy Paterno's legacy because he did not do enough to stop Sandusky. And maybe that's right; based on the info I've been given up to today, it certainly seems like a justified opinion.But if the police WERE notified in 2002 by McQueary directly, then that changes everything, no? Paterno's actions (or lack of them) seem very different in this light, and I'm not sure he deserves the same level of condemnation. If it's true.

Well look, there's a lot of people who want to destroy Paterno's legacy because he did not do enough to stop Sandusky. And maybe that's right; based on the info I've been given up to today, it certainly seems like a justified opinion.But if the police WERE notified in 2002 by McQueary directly, then that changes everything, no? Paterno's actions (or lack of them) seem very different in this light, and I'm not sure he deserves the same level of condemnation. If it's true.
I'm not sure a lot of people want Paterno's legacy destroyed. I think a lot of people want Paterno's legacy tarnished. And those people are entirely justified. Joe's legacy *should* be left with a massive black mark if nothing more leaks.

McQueary only says that he had "discussions with police", which could mean a lot of different things.And I don't think it makes Paterno look any different, because he still comes off as a coward who passed the buck and allowed the assault to be swept under the rug.

As a big baseball fan I talk/think/hear about the 1919 Black Sox ten times a year or so.

That was probably the biggest sports scandal up until about two weeks ago. This story will last decades but at least the story is out so every institution can ensure nothing like this goes on during their watch. Maybe they'll tackle a pervasive problem on college campuses: crime.

Most crimes weren't even required to be reported until the Clery Act made it mandatory in 1990, but here are some stats from 2009.

Link

By MARK VIERA and PETE THAMEL

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno transferred full ownership of his house to his wife, Sue, for $1 in July, less than four months before a sexual abuse scandal engulfed his Penn State football program and the university.

Documents filed in Centre County, Pa., show that on July 21, Paterno’s house near campus was turned over to “Suzanne P. Paterno, trustee” for a dollar plus “love and affection.” The couple had previously held joint ownership of the house, which they bought in 1969 for $58,000.

According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40. Wick Sollers, a lawyer for Paterno, said in an e-mail that the Paternos had been engaged in a “multiyear estate planning program,” and the transfer “was simply one element of that plan.” He said it had nothing to do with the scandal.

Paterno, who was fired as the football coach at the university last week, has been judged harshly by many for failing to take more aggressive action when he learned of a suspected sexual assault of a child by one of his former top assistants.

Some legal experts, in trying to gauge the legal exposure of the university and its top officials to lawsuits brought by suspected victims of the assistant, Jerry Sandusky, have theorized that Paterno could be a target of civil actions. On Nov. 5, Sandusky, Penn State’s former defensive coordinator, was charged with 40 counts related to the reported sexual abuse of eight boys over 15 years. Paterno, 84, was among those called to give testimony before a grand jury during the investigation, which began in 2009.

Experts in estate planning and tax law, in interviews, cautioned that it would be hard to determine the Paternos’ motivation simply from the available documents. It appears the family house had been the subject of years of complex and confusing transactions.

Lawrence A. Frolik, a law professor at the University of Pittsburgh who specializes in elder law, said that he had “never heard” of a husband selling his share of a house for $1 to his spouse for tax or government assistance purposes.

“I can’t see any tax advantages,” Frolik said. “If someone told me that, my reaction would be, ‘Are they hoping to shield assets in case if there’s personal liability?’ ” He added, “It sounds like an attempt to avoid personal liability in having assets in his wife’s name.”

Two lawyers examined the available documents in recent days. Neither wanted to be identified because they were not directly involved in the case or the property transaction. One of the experts said it appeared to be an explicit effort to financially shield Joe Paterno. The other regarded the July transaction, at least on its face, as benign.

Last Wednesday, the university’s board of trustees fired Paterno and Graham B. Spanier, the university’s president.

In 2002, Mike McQueary, then a graduate assistant in the football program, told Paterno that he had seen Sandusky with a boy in the football building’s showers. How explicit McQueary was in describing what he saw is in dispute. But according to state prosecutors, Paterno testified under oath that McQueary had told him that he had seen Sandusky doing something of a sexual nature to a roughly 10-year-old boy.

Paterno did not report the incident to the police or encourage McQueary to make such a report. Instead, he passed along the allegation the next day to the university’s athletic department and one other senior administrator.

On the day he was fired last week, Paterno said he and his wife were praying for the victims, described the events as a tragedy and admitted that he wished he had done more in 2002.

“Coach Paterno wants to tell his side of the story and answer questions, and I am hopeful he will be able to do so down the road,” said Sollers, Paterno’s lawyer.

The lawyer whose name is attached to the latest matter involving the couple’s house is David C. Pohland of Cassidy, Kotjarapoglus & Pohland of Greensburg, Pa. Pohland did not return a telephone message on Tuesday. The maiden name of Sue Paterno, who is 13 years younger than her husband, is Pohland. It was uncertain if there was any relation between her and the lawyer.

Nate Schweber and Jo Becker contributed reporting.
Wow.

Joe Paterno transferred full ownership of his house to his wife, Sue, for $1 in July, less than four months before a sexual abuse scandal engulfed his Penn State football program and the university.

According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40.
That little dumpy house of Paterno's is valued at over a half mil? In the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania? Nice appraiser.

Grasping at straws imo with the land donation and house transfer.

There is enough to go on already. This ancillary stuff is dumb.
:confused: If the University knew of Sandusky's issues you don't think it's a problem if they sold him land so he could build a campground for kids?

Maybe they simply sold him the land at a discount and had no clue what he wanted it for. In that case maybe they get a pass. I'm skeptical they would sell the land to him at a discount unless they knew it was going for his charity.

I'm saying that I cannot take what we think we know and put together a narrative were the actions of the players make sense. A grand conspiracy cover up doesn't make sense. (It might be true, but it doesn't make sense.) Everyone being blissfully ignorant of what is happening all around them also doesn't make sense. (It might be true, but it doesn't make sense.) And every scenario in between doesn't make sense, at least to me at this time. That is what I am saying.Just try to figure out what McQueary may or may not have did, may or may not have said and how the others reacted to it is so far unreconciled in my mind. Maybe I'll never be able to wrap my mind around this. If so I hope the flaw in me is for a good reason.

Wow, that was quite the hard-hitting interview CBS aired with McQueary tonight:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-0LWGAptgGlad they gave us a heads up about it. :mellow:
He didn't just break his silence, he shattered it into a million pieces. Good thing he is working so hard to clear his name!

Who posted in: Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation

Member name - Posts

CrossEyed 328
Aaron Rudnicki 193
Leeroy Jenkins 124
Joe Summer 121
B-Deep 102
Parrothead 97
AmosMoses 91
Chase Stuart 80
Todd Andrews 76
mad sweeney 72
Sinn Fein 71
Christo 68
dgreen 68
ConstruxBoy 66
ClownCausedChaos 62
comfortably numb 62
Billy Bats 56

Grasping at straws imo with the land donation and house transfer. There is enough to go on already. This ancillary stuff is dumb.
Yeah, no way the house xfer is related to the scandal or suggests more conspiracy type stuff.
Just Joe doing some estate planning...total coincidence...just like Jerry's abrupt retirement in '99...pure coincidence and had nothing to do with the '98 investigation.Nothing to see here, time for everyone to move along.

Member name - Posts

CrossEyed 328

Aaron Rudnicki 193

Leeroy Jenkins 124

Joe Summer 121

B-Deep 102

Parrothead 97

AmosMoses 91

Chase Stuart 80

Todd Andrews 76

mad sweeney 72

Sinn Fein 71

Christo 68

dgreen 68

ConstruxBoy 66

ClownCausedChaos 62

comfortably numb 62

Billy Bats 56
Wow. Did you know that Sandusky wrote a book?

Member name - Posts

CrossEyed 328

Aaron Rudnicki 193

Leeroy Jenkins 124

Joe Summer 121

B-Deep 102

Parrothead 97

AmosMoses 91

Chase Stuart 80

Todd Andrews 76

mad sweeney 72

Sinn Fein 71

Christo 68

dgreen 68

ConstruxBoy 66

ClownCausedChaos 62

comfortably numb 62

Billy Bats 56
What are you implying?

Grasping at straws imo with the land donation and house transfer. There is enough to go on already. This ancillary stuff is dumb.
Yeah, no way the house xfer is related to the scandal or suggests more conspiracy type stuff.
Just Joe doing some estate planning...total coincidence...just like Jerry's abrupt retirement in '99...pure coincidence and had nothing to do with the '98 investigation.Nothing to see here, time for everyone to move along.
People seem to be hoping for a big conspiracy and they likely are going to be disappointed. The odd thing to me is that married people is pa generally own by a tenancy by the entirety which is joint ownership. Im thinking more along the lines that joe may be in poor health, owned the house in his own name if he bought it before marriage, and wanted to avoid any estate transfer issues.

People seem to be hoping for a big conspiracy and they likely are going to be disappointed. The odd thing to me is that married people is pa generally own by a tenancy by the entirety which is joint ownership. Im thinking more along the lines that joe may be in poor health, owned the house in his own name if he bought it before marriage, and wanted to avoid any estate transfer issues.
It was already joint. He transferred it completely into his wife's name.

Grasping at straws imo with the land donation and house transfer.

There is enough to go on already. This ancillary stuff is dumb.
"The couple had previously held joint ownership of the house, which they bought in 1969 for $58,000."

People seem to be hoping for a big conspiracy and they likely are going to be disappointed.
Sadly, it is a large enough tragedy already.No doubt some people are enjoying the train wreck aspect, but I'd guess the vast majority of people just want to see the truth come out and the guilty parties fully punished for their respective parts in what happened.

PHILADELPHIA - Documents released by a Philadelphia-area representative show The Second Mile, Jerry Sandusky's former charity, raised money for the judge who freed him on unsecured bail.

Link

Im thinking more along the lines that joe may be in poor health, owned the house in his own name if he bought it before marriage, and wanted to avoid any estate transfer issues.
"The couple had previously held joint ownership of the house, which they bought in 1969 for $58,000."
yeah, why would you think that he owned the house in his own name if the article says the opposite?while reading that article, I thought it was probably not a big deal until they provided that quote of someone saying he's never heard of anyone else doing this for estate planning. not a huge deal but does provide a bit more evidence that he realized something like this could be coming.

PHILADELPHIA - Documents released by a Philadelphia-area representative show The Second Mile, Jerry Sandusky's former charity, raised money for the judge who freed him on unsecured bail.

Link
how small is this town? seems like everybody is connected in this story if you dig enough, but maybe that's normal for a college town like this.

Im thinking more along the lines that joe may be in poor health, owned the house in his own name if he bought it before marriage, and wanted to avoid any estate transfer issues.
yeah, why would you think that he owned the house in his own name if the article says the opposite?while reading that article, I thought it was probably not a big deal until they provided that quote of someone saying he's never heard of anyone else doing this for estate planning. not a huge deal but does provide a bit more evidence that he realized something like this could be coming.
:shrug: missed it.

Haven't been keeping up with the players in this thread. Can someone summarize the characters in this thread? pedophile apologists etc.

While the charges were brought just last week, the scandal/investigation were first reported in the local media in March, right? It could be a benign transfer or it could be a sign they were aware of the potential ramifications. Both are plausible.-QG

Users who are viewing this thread