What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

he'd have to forfeit the 100k
100k vs life in prison. tough call.
i'm not sure what your point is. If you're suggesting he may run, then sure the 100k forfeit may be a small price to pay to maybe keep/get more time out given his potential sentence. I would agree the bond is pretty low because he is a strong flight risk IMO. However, I was replying to a guy who was upset he was out and close to a school. This implies he is a danger to the community, particularly to the children at that school. I was pointing out why his release conditions will likely deter him from doing anything there.
Obviously he's a huge flight risk. I also don't think the 100k means anything to him. Sounds like he didn't even put anything up.
I don't see why everyone thinks he's such a strong flight risk (outside of the fact that I think he's guilty, and thus he's got few other options...) Typically a "strong flight risk," has a history of running, ties to other countries, etc. This is an old man who has lived in State College for decades. I think I'd put him on suicide watch before I'd say he's a flight risk, but of course if he truly thinks that showering and hugging 10 year old boys naked is OK, he likely thinks, in his delusional mind, that he IS innocent, and will anxiously await trial.I'm not saying anything other than that I really don't get what exactly makes him a strong flight risk. EVERYONE at this point knows what he looks like.

he'd have to forfeit the 100k
100k vs life in prison. tough call.
i'm not sure what your point is. If you're suggesting he may run, then sure the 100k forfeit may be a small price to pay to maybe keep/get more time out given his potential sentence. I would agree the bond is pretty low because he is a strong flight risk IMO. However, I was replying to a guy who was upset he was out and close to a school. This implies he is a danger to the community, particularly to the children at that school. I was pointing out why his release conditions will likely deter him from doing anything there.
Obviously he's a huge flight risk. I also don't think the 100k means anything to him. Sounds like he didn't even put anything up.
I don't see why everyone thinks he's such a strong flight risk (outside of the fact that I think he's guilty, and thus he's got few other options...) Typically a "strong flight risk," has a history of running, ties to other countries, etc. This is an old man who has lived in State College for decades. I think I'd put him on suicide watch before I'd say he's a flight risk, but of course if he truly thinks that showering and hugging 10 year old boys naked is OK, he likely thinks, in his delusional mind, that he IS innocent, and will anxiously await trial.I'm not saying anything other than that I really don't get what exactly makes him a strong flight risk. EVERYONE at this point knows what he looks like.
I'd say the combination of the potential consequences for his charges and his wealth naturally make him a high flight risk. Unlike indigent defendants, he may actually have the means to escape the jurisdiction. Certainly, if he has a history of missing court or committing crimes against moral terpitude he'd be more of a flight risk, but I think those two facts that I cited alone warrant more than 100k regardless of his strong ties to the community.

as difficult as it would be to do, put yourself in his shoes. wouldn't you want to flee the country if you had the means to do so?

worked out well for Roman Polanski.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Dragons said:
'Idiot Boxer said:
Grasping at straws imo with the land donation and house transfer.

There is enough to go on already. This ancillary stuff is dumb.
:confused: If the University knew of Sandusky's issues you don't think it's a problem if they sold him land so he could build a campground for kids?

Maybe they simply sold him the land at a discount and had no clue what he wanted it for. In that case maybe they get a pass. I'm skeptical they would sell the land to him at a discount unless they knew it was going for his charity.
Sure, I agree. However, most who are proffering this or other ancillary items are doing it for the OMG can you believe how deep this conspiracy goes?! effect. You're the first to suggest that the land transfer to Sandusky's charity was done because PSU had no idea of Sandusky's monstrous nature and that they merely felt that they were donating to a charity. Most are suggesting that it is a payoff as part of a massive coverup by the university. That is the kind of implication the Leeroy is calling 'dumb' and I tend to agree.
That doesn't appear to be what he's suggesting at all.
Thats pretty much exactly what i am suggesting actually.
I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the bolded.

as difficult as it would be to do, put yourself in his shoes. wouldn't you want to flee the country if you had the means to do so?worked out well for Roman Polanski.
I mean, yes, I would...but I think anyone who was guilty and KNEW they were guilty with minimal chance of a good defense would consider the same thing if they were able to flee and thought they could do so successfully. BUT, I don't think I'd stand a chance roughing it abroad with no money, no contacts, etc.If you take that into consideration, you're almost saying chances of flight risk = perceived probability of guilt, which I don't think is how it is intended. I agree, his bail should be more, but I don't think he's any more of a flight risk than lots of other criminals. Polanski isn't really a fair comparison b/c he was an international person, and he had A LOT more money and contacts abroad.

I seriously can't believe that Sandusky is out on bail, living 1000 ft from an elementary school. Why does no one care about this???
Since our justice system believes in the presumption of innocence, people have a right to a reasonable bail. I'd guess there are additional terms of his release (probably similar to sex offender terms) and wouldn't doubt that the whole community is on the lookout for him.
A 37 year old high school baseball coach in my area, accused of similar charges, is currently sitting in jail with a $2 million dollar bail tag. I guess he wasn't friends with his judge. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article on Ray Gricar written in January of this year:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/25/case-of-missing-pa-district-attorney-ray-gricar-baffles-police/

The following excerpts stood out to me:

According to Tony Gricar, the one thing that never made sense to police was his uncle's financial situation.

"He was making a fair amount of money; but, at least from a forensic accounting standpoint, the thought is there that there should have been more cash," he said. "But, for somebody from his generation, which [preferred to] deal in cash, what is the appropriate amount that should be sitting in an account?"

There are three possible scenarios in the case and, according to Tony Gricar, none really fits.

Runaway: "The runaway doesn't make a lot of sense. It never has," Tony Gricar said. "I guess if you want to oversimplify it -- what's the point? There's been nothing. No scandal tied to the office or anything that would allude to that. If he wanted to do his own thing, why not wait the few months until his scheduled retirement? It really doesn't make much sense."

In light of what we know now, I think the possiblity that Ray Gricar disappeared to start a new life somewhere else is a lot stronger.

Rumors that PSU will take down the Paterno statue while students are away for Thanksgiving.
Why would they do this unless they know that JoePa ends up not looking good at all once this stuff all plays out?
No conclusion can be drawn from this rumor, even if true. Public sentiment currently is that he was wrong and morally culpable. If they find out differently later and public sentiment switches, it can be put back up. They don't KNOW anything, they're responding to the current sentiment.See: Harris, Franco and Lacrosse, Duke.

Rumors that PSU will take down the Paterno statue while students are away for Thanksgiving.
Why would they do this unless they know that JoePa ends up not looking good at all once this stuff all plays out?
As opposed to now?
Hasn't it continued to look worse just about every day that goes by?
For Paterno? Doesn't really seem like it to me. It was awful from the get-go.

As opposed to now?
I wasn't talking specifically about Paterno, just in general.

As opposed to now?
I wasn't talking specifically about Paterno, just in general.

If this has been brought up already, i apologize, but i am 60 or so pages behind on reading this thread.

A rather heinous and disgusting theory, but follow me on this. What if the school administration, etc went under the idea of doing everything that was legally required and still tried to cover up as much as possible, figuring the $50 million or so the football team brought in annually would more than cover the lawsuit if and when they ever came out. Like the damage to the kids was collateral. Sick and twisted I know, but what in this case isnt?

Kind of like the Ford Motor case in the late '70s with the Pinto. Except substitute 10 year old boys as the victims and replace exploding gas tanks with jerry sandusky.

ETA: annually. Yes annually.

'CrossEyed said:
Paterno Turns Home Over to Wife for $1

Joe Paterno transferred full ownership of his house to his wife, Sue, for $1 in July, less than four months before a sexual abuse scandal engulfed his Penn State football program and the university.

Documents filed in Centre County, Pa., show that on July 21, Paterno’s house near campus was turned over to “Suzanne P. Paterno, trustee” for a dollar plus “love and affection.” The couple had previously held joint ownership of the house, which they bought in 1969 for $58,000.

According to documents filed with the county, the house’s fair-market value was listed at $594,484.40.
That little dumpy house of Paterno's is valued at over a half mil? In the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania? Nice appraiser.
Do you have the specs on it? $58K for a house in 69 isn't exactly chump change,

Paterno, 80, told more than 300 people at Wednesday's Penn State Quarterback Club's luncheon about the run-in on a campus street. The weekly luncheon, attended by alumni and monetary donors, is normally treated as off the record and is closed to the media. The Post-Gazette cited "multiple sources who attended" the luncheon as the basis for its report.

The newspaper's report continued:

Paterno said at the luncheon that after his close call Friday, he pulled over, exited his car, approached the other vehicle and shook his finger at the driver. He warned her to "watch it."

"Be careful," Paterno said. "I have your license number, and I will call the police on you."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/11718886.html
Updated: October 11, 2007 - 5:29 PM
Did you know that......Ah, screw it.
I don't think the date has much impact on the reason that report was posted here, though a 2002 date would have been ideal.

I'll just post it instead of searchingPolice deny McQueary reported incident. AND WE'RE OFF
If this goes to trial, Will McQueary's GJ testimomy be released?That would be a significant thing to leave out of a summation of a two year investigation.

I'll just post it instead of searchingPolice deny McQueary reported incident. AND WE'RE OFF
Meh. I think everyone knew that McQueary never filed a formal police report. He only said that he had "discussions with police", which could mean a lot of different things. Maybe he just had an informal conversation with a friend or acquaintance who was a cop?

Meh. I think everyone knew that McQueary never filed a formal police report. He only said that he had "discussions with police", which could mean a lot of different things. Maybe he just had an informal conversation with a friend or acquaintance who was a cop?
I would be surprised that the GJ would leave that out, and if they did leave that out, then I would want the feds to get involved.

I'm expecting some apologies for demanding apologies up in here.

I would be surprised that the GJ would leave that out, and if they did leave that out, then I would want the feds to get involved.
We don't know if McQueary even told the grand jury. If all he did was talk to an off-duty cop at a bar, then he might not have felt it was necessary to tell the grand jury about it.

this guy is supposed to be the star witness and he's already caught in a lie :wall: Sandusky's lawyer is loving this turn of events :wall:
All he said is he had discussions with the police. Probably during the charity golf game they all played in a few weeks later.** please note, I do not know that the police played in the charity golf game or the numerous other Second Mile functions that Mr Stand Up Guy Going To Clear My Name McQueary participated in after he saw Sandusky raping a child. But he says "...you know me...", so i guess that makes him a good guy even though he let 9 years go by

It might have been left out of the report if it is part of the case against Schultz and/or Curley.

Hope the State hasn't put a lot of eggs in the McQueary basket. I wish the Federal Government would step in and take the case over at this point. Didn't Sandusky transport a boy across state lines and rape him as well? Texas, Colorado, or some other state?

I seriously can't believe that Sandusky is out on bail, living 1000 ft from an elementary school. Why does no one care about this???
Since our justice system believes in the presumption of innocence, people have a right to a reasonable bail. I'd guess there are additional terms of his release (probably similar to sex offender terms) and wouldn't doubt that the whole community is on the lookout for him.
A 37 year old high school baseball coach in my area, accused of similar charges, is currently sitting in jail with a $2 million dollar bail tag. I guess he wasn't friends with his judge. :shrug:
Reasonableness is a fluid term.

We don't know if McQueary even told the grand jury. If all he did was talk to an off-duty cop at a bar, then he might not have felt it was necessary to tell the grand jury about it.
I would guess he is talking about Schultz, since he is technically Head of University Police. So of course the police station wouldn't have anything from him on the incident. And I'm not saying that should count as "talking to police". Just that it may be what he means. I doubt that would be considered perjury.

Hope the State hasn't put a lot of eggs in the McQueary basket. I wish the Federal Government would step in and take the case over at this point. Didn't Sandusky transport a boy across state lines and rape him as well? Texas, Colorado, or some other state?
Texas. Alamo Bowl.

I'll just post it instead of searching

Police deny McQueary reported incident.

AND WE'RE OFF
I would guess he is talking about Schultz, since he is technically Head of University Police. So of course the police station wouldn't have anything from him on the incident. And I'm not saying that should count as "talking to police". Just that it may be what he means. I doubt that would be considered perjury.
What he said is:
I did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police
He clearly is talking about Schultz, but somebody else as well.

FWIW, it's not uncommon in estate planning to shift assets bxt husband and wife.
even if it was already owned by both? what is the possible benefit for transferring it from joint ownership to sole ownership by his wife?
Suppose that substantially all of the assets are in husband's name (not uncommon for that generation). Suppose husband is worth $8 million. The federal estate tax doesn't kick in until the estate is worth at least $5 million, and the rate is steep. If husband dies, $3 million of his estate gets hit with the tax. If they arrange their assets so that they both own about $4 million, no tax. WALA!

FWIW, it's not uncommon in estate planning to shift assets bxt husband and wife.
even if it was already owned by both? what is the possible benefit for transferring it from joint ownership to sole ownership by his wife?
Suppose that substantially all of the assets are in husband's name (not uncommon for that generation). Suppose husband is worth $8 million. The federal estate tax doesn't kick in until the estate is worth at least $5 million, and the rate is steep. If husband dies, $3 million of his estate gets hit with the tax. If they arrange their assets so that they both own about $4 million, no tax. WALA!
And they waited until he was 84 to figure this out?

Users who are viewing this thread