What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Quick WR Saint Louis Rams [Appalachian State] (1 Viewer)

AJ Green scored a 10. He looks to be doing fine.

Kendall Hunter scored a 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
6'4" 220

4.55 40 (same as Reuben Randle & Dwight Jones, better than Mohammed Sanu & Kendall Wright)

15 reps @ 225 (average)

34" vertical jump (best of the receivers with name recognition)

119" board jump (best of the receivers with name recognition)

7.10 3-cone drill (one of the worst)

4.23 20-yard shuttle (below average)

So it looks like he's big and explosive, but definitely not quick (mentally or physically).

Still, he's talented, and he'll be drafted in the first 3 rounds I'd guess.

fisher wants this kid to succeed. i am very bullish on his prospects right out of the gate for this reason,
I am too. They had their pick of some very good WR prospects at the top of the 2nd, and took him. Lammey and Bloom aren't high on him at all, but I disagree. I think he's a solid guy to add in the bottom of the 1st and early 2nd in rookie drafts.

fisher wants this kid to succeed. i am very bullish on his prospects right out of the gate for this reason,
I am too. They had their pick of some very good WR prospects at the top of the 2nd, and took him. Lammey and Bloom aren't high on him at all, but I disagree. I think he's a solid guy to add in the bottom of the 1st and early 2nd in rookie drafts.
It may not be fair to think a guy like Quick can be a success right out of the gate. Small school WRs take time. Possible he becomes an immediate impact player, but I think he'll take a year or two.

Xue, You've been on YouTube, Twitter, this board, and other places promoting Brian Quick more than I think I've ever seen someone promote a prospect. Can you tell us your motivation? Just curious why all the ardent effort?
LOL, :popcorn:

i read something after the quick pick where fisher and his staff went to see him in boone. i'm paraphrasing here but fisher was floored. i don't think fisher sees him as a possession receiver and will fast-track his development. as much as the kid is ready for then he'll pile it on.

It may not be fair to think a guy like Quick can be a success right out of the gate. Small school WRs take time. Possible he becomes an immediate impact player, but I think he'll take a year or two.
I think Givens will have a more immediate impact but I like Quick's long term outlook. The pros for Quick are his hands, RAC ability and he's a huge redzone target that makes tough catches. The only negatives keeping him from being up with Hill are that he's from a small school and doesn't have breakaway ability (not a big deal IMO). Give him some time and he could be very good.

this is the article i read about Fisher and his staff coming out to Boone. In it, they reference TO for whatever reason. the important thing is not the TO comparison but the superlatives they heap on the kid. they don't see him as a #2, i think. they see big things for him.

this is the article i read about Fisher and his staff coming out to Boone. In it, they reference TO for whatever reason. the important thing is not the TO comparison but the superlatives they heap on the kid. they don't see him as a #2, i think. they see big things for him.
I think he either works out as a #1 or he's a total bust. He doesn't strike me as one of those middle of the road guys.

I think he either works out as a #1 or he's a total bust. He doesn't strike me as one of those middle of the road guys.
Interesting, because I see him as an Ike Hilliard type of guy...750 for 7 TD guy. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he hits 600 yards as a rookie, and then succumbs to competition in the coming years and never exceeds 900 yards.

Seems to me that they're supporting their reasoning for their pick, which is a-ok, but expected.Every team does it.

Am I the only one confused by the differing evaluations of Quick's ability to catch? In the same thread there are references to him having great hands and hands being one of his strengths versus him bodycatching and dropping the easy one.

Which is it? You either have good hands or you don't. If you have good hands sometimes that means you actually have bad hands. :loco:

Am I the only one confused by the differing evaluations of Quick's ability to catch? In the same thread there are references to him having great hands and hands being one of his strengths versus him bodycatching and dropping the easy one. Which is it? You either have good hands or you don't. If you have good hands sometimes that means you actually have bad hands. :loco:
Half the time I wonder if people watch video or if they just regurgitate what they hear. What I saw watching him play was a sure handed receiver, especially in traffic, but I saw him drop easy ones (like the screen against Maine and during the Senior Bowl practices). The dropped screen was on a 4th and 14 play that he knew he needed big yardage on and looked up the field before catching the ball. The drops at the Senior Bowl I can chalk up to being nervous but if that's all people have seen of him then of course they are going to think he has bad hands.

Seems to me that they're supporting their reasoning for their pick, which is a-ok, but expected.Every team does it.
talking up is one thing - especially with the same cliches and whatnot - but they seem to be going out of their way here. i'm not buying any more on Quick other than they want him to succeed and will likely give him every opportunity. they have a number of so-so WRs already on their roster with fine college careers. i would bet on the rookie in this instance to be an opening day starter despite the less heralded college pedigree. he might not be a diamond in the rough but he should be a bargain for fantasy shoppers.

Reminds me of Ramses Barden.

Meh.
I think Ramses is just too big to be consistently effective. I noticed watching this video of all his targets that he's not a very good route runner and he doesn't seem to be on the same page as Eli.
Ramses was a man among boys but in the NFL he has struggled to be effective against guys that can cover him. He is an enormous sweetheart that his teammates adore, but he so needs to about stop that stuff and just get his hands dirty already. He was finally getting it and getting some playing time before he got hurt. The doc's prognosis for recovery and Ramses actual recovery time were quite different. This caused some issues in a nothing we can do but it's so frustrating type manner.

Anyhow he can run routes well and pretty much do anything well.(Lack of speed is an issue)

Gmen thought they could get him time and get that struggling past him once he got his feet wet and learned and all. He's constantly taking two steps backward after one forward.

I imagine he has only this summer to "get it" before they wish him well and send him on his way.

I have little doubt that MOST nfl coaches will want a shot at him if he's cut. In theory (and with their coaching ego) it should be so easy for him to be a decent pro and the awesome attitude to go with it... you know a coach will bite at the prospects.

from Greg Cosell on twitter:

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosellWR Quick also fascinating. Outstanding talent: Size, deceptive speed due to stride length, body control + flexibilty. Chance to be very good

Sam Bradford can't hit the ocean with a beach ball, especially while throwing while laying on his back after yet another big hit..

Quick could be the next T.O., but unless/until Bradford gets some protection, dramatically improves his QB Rating, Comp %, Td/INT ratio, there's nothing to see here..

and another reason that the Rams' futility will continue through the 2012 season:

Brian Schottenheimer.

Sam Bradford can't hit the ocean with a beach ball, especially while throwing while laying on his back after yet another big hit..

Quick could be the next T.O., but unless/until Bradford gets some protection, dramatically improves his QB Rating, Comp %, Td/INT ratio, there's nothing to see here..

and another reason that the Rams' futility will continue through the 2012 season:

Brian Schottenheimer.
What? I thought Bradford's strength was his accuracy?Also, his WRs didn't help last year. Didn't they lead the league in dropped passes?

Brian Schottenheimer.
What? I thought Bradford's strength was his accuracy?Also, his WRs didn't help last year. Didn't they lead the league in dropped passes?
And how many games did they miss to injury? Amendola, the entire year? The rest of those scrubs couldn't stay on the field either....Nobody to throw to, no O-Line to protect him.

The guy tore it up his rookie season with no receivers. His second year, he regressed. He had no offseason and his safety valve wasn't there. The rookie TE they drafted that should've replaced Amendola, was the suck.

Sam Bradford can't hit the ocean with a beach ball, especially while throwing while laying on his back after yet another big hit..Quick could be the next T.O., but unless/until Bradford gets some protection, dramatically improves his QB Rating, Comp %, Td/INT ratio, there's nothing to see here..and another reason that the Rams' futility will continue through the 2012 season:Brian Schottenheimer.
Didn't Bradford set the rookie record for completion percentage? His accuracy is very, very good when he's not being forced to throw the ball 45 yards in less than 1.5 seconds. Also, KC Joyner noted that the Rams had a total of 71 drops last year, which is unheard of. Last year was a bust because Mcdaniels ran a system that the Rams didn't have the personel or time to run. Plus The Rams OL only had one player that did not miss at least 3 games.

Didn't Bradford set the rookie record for completion percentage? His accuracy is very, very good when he's not being forced to throw the ball 45 yards in less than 1.5 seconds. Also, KC Joyner noted that the Rams had a total of 71 drops last year, which is unheard of. Last year was a bust because Mcdaniels ran a system that the Rams didn't have the personel or time to run. Plus The Rams OL only had one player that did not miss at least 3 games.
To be fair, he was also dead last in yards per completion that year. 6.0ypa is just unfathomably bad for someone with a 60% completion percentage.

To be fair, he was also dead last in yards per completion that year. 6.0ypa is just unfathomably bad for someone with a 60% completion percentage.
Given what I saw last year I'm more inclined to cite Shurmur as the reason for that than Bradford right now.

Brian Schottenheimer.
And how many games did they miss to injury? Amendola, the entire year? The rest of those scrubs couldn't stay on the field either....Nobody to throw to, no O-Line to protect him.

The guy tore it up his rookie season with no receivers. His second year, he regressed. He had no offseason and his safety valve wasn't there. The rookie TE they drafted that should've replaced Amendola, was the suck.
Brandon Lloyd did pretty well, but Bradford was injured a lot last year so they only had a minimal amount of time together. For the most part the Rams were a MASH unit last season.

That first year he had only Amendola to throw to. He threaded the needle time and time again to someone with no YAC ability. Thinks hands of Welker and speed like Shrek.

Right now I blame all of Bradford's issues on McDaniels. Drop passes of course blamed on Kendrick (that guy really did suck) and the WRs.

Was hoping to stash this guy with mid second round picks, but he's been going late 1st in most drafts....not exactly sneaking up on anybody.

Was hoping to stash this guy with mid second round picks, but he's been going late 1st in most drafts....not exactly sneaking up on anybody.
He deserves to go in the first round of rookie drafts.He was the 5th WR drafted in the NFL draft and to me has so much upside that he warrants a first round pick in rookie drafts.I think after Blackmon and Floyd are selected he is the next best WR to take off the board. He is big at almost 6 foot 4 and ran a 4.55 at 220 lbs. He has strength and deceptive speed. He is going to a very good situation as he will have plenty of opportunity to succeed in the next 3 years and develop chemistry with a young QB who has shown some potential as well. To me his upside is that of an NFL number 1 with a chance to be very good to elite.He is said to be raw, but you can't teach willingness to go over the middle and make tough grabs all over the field with great size and that is what you are getting with Quick.

Greg Cosell discusses Brian Quick in his latest column: Cosell Talks: NFC West Draft Pick Post-Mortum. http://nflfilms.nfl....ck-post-mortum/

The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of "reach" and "overdrafted". That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.

Many will use the small school component of Quick's résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it's gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who's significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It's not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick's physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins.
Interesting take. I have always been wary of small school guys because I don't know if they can handle the limelight. A player like Blackmon has far less of a adjustment being star player at a big school.

Greg Cosell discusses Brian Quick in his latest column: Cosell Talks: NFC West Draft Pick Post-Mortum. http://nflfilms.nfl....ck-post-mortum/

The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of "reach" and "overdrafted". That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.

Many will use the small school component of Quick's résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it's gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who's significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It's not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick's physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins.
Interesting take. I have always been wary of small school guys because I don't know if they can handle the limelight. A player like Blackmon has far less of a adjustment being star player at a big school.
Small School or Big School doesn't matter as much as people think. 20,000 kids go to APP State. You're a star at that school...back in your home town...etc. Maybe you're not on TV every Saturday but your stats are discussed. When you're PRO-Caliber athlete at any level you're a star and have to deal with limelight. It's more about character at that point. I think the small school guys are more likely to have a chip on their shoulder to prove they belong. I went to a D3 Linfield College with an excellent Football program and tradition. We have 4 national championships. The enrollment was 1600 when I was there. You can't hide in class. You can't hide on campus or in town. You're "big-time" and will need to deal with the success regardless. It's when you're not talented...and you get to a bigger pond that you realize you're not a 'big fish'. I also think that the small-school guys have a chance to be a little more Grounded. They can't let it go to their head as much.

The ultimate barometer for Quick will be is he talented and does he get it done on the field. Is he given the opportunity to do it? Looks like he'll get that chance.

We might not know for a few years. It's exciting though to see.

Other food for thought...

Fisher selected Britt with the 30th pick in the draft in 2009. Britt 6'3" and 218 pounds ran a 4.5 forty at the combine. Coming into that draft it was said his positives were his strength and ability to be physical with opposing DB's.

Quick was selected by Fisher with the 33rd pick in the draft at 6'3" 220 pounds ran a 4.55 forty and his strengths are eerily similar to Britt.

Britt was well on his way to a career year last season before getting hurt and looked every bit the part of a true NFL WR 1.

I know. I have the 11th pick in our rookie/free agent draft and now I'm concerned he won't fall that far. I wish we had drafted right after the NFL did....

I know. I have the 11th pick in our rookie/free agent draft and now I'm concerned he won't fall that far. I wish we had drafted right after the NFL did....
I just snagged him at 2.03 in a relatively well-informed league, so it isn't out of the question that he drops to you.I'm a "gut feel" kind of drafter when it comes to my own teams ("do as I say, not as I do"), and I have to say, I wanted this guy right after I first looked up more on him. I love his hands. Seems to have adequate speed/physical ability. And I've always had a soft spot for small school players. Being drafted that highly by the Rams was all I needed to make up my mind.

I just snagged him at 2.03 in a relatively well-informed league, so it isn't out of the question that he drops to you.I'm a "gut feel" kind of drafter when it comes to my own teams ("do as I say, not as I do"), and I have to say, I wanted this guy right after I first looked up more on him. I love his hands. Seems to have adequate speed/physical ability. And I've always had a soft spot for small school players. Being drafted that highly by the Rams was all I needed to make up my mind.
I just took him a 2.03 too. I need WR bad and had to choose between Quick and Hill. I hope its the right choice.

I just took him a 2.03 too. I need WR bad and had to choose between Quick and Hill. I hope its the right choice.
LOL, I had the exact same choice, Quick or Hill. I went Quick.Then traded for the 2.04 and took Hill. So I guess I'm hedging my bets on this one.

I took him at 2.1 the day after the NFL draft. I'm a Rams homer, so I reached a little. I'm guessing he would;ve been there at 2.4 or 2.5.

Here's a really good article I found on Quick and what to expect from receivers drafted in the second round: Quick

I took him at 2.1 the day after the NFL draft. I'm a Rams homer, so I reached a little. I'm guessing he would;ve been there at 2.4 or 2.5.
i am one of the guys in gazillion league and he has been all over the place. in two leagues, guys have traded up to like 1.09ish to get him and others he goes well into the mid if not late 2nd.

No, I would have taken him at 2.02. I'm happy with AJ Jenkins and it worked out with me getting Pead at 2.05, but I had Quick slotted there.

Here's a really good article I found on Quick and what to expect from receivers drafted in the second round: Quick
what interesting to me there is that even if your guy has a nice rookie year, long-term he is still about 50/50 of having any long-term fantasy impact.

'TheFanatic said:
did the samething and people said I reached

Users who are viewing this thread