What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Quick WR Saint Louis Rams [Appalachian State] (1 Viewer)

'coolnerd said:
'BigTex said:
Here's a really good article I found on Quick and what to expect from receivers drafted in the second round: Quick
what interesting to me there is that even if your guy has a nice rookie year, long-term he is still about 50/50 of having any long-term fantasy impact.
see eddie royal :) , but yeah if your rookie has a good season and get rated pretty high its almost worth moving him

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Rams are "insanely excited" about No. 33 pick WR Brian QuickRapoport spent Friday at the Rams' rookie minicamp, and says Quick "(moved) like a small guy" despite appearing bigger than his 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame. According to Rapoport, Quick turned in a drop-free afternoon. A favorite of NFL Films' Greg Cosell and expected to be the Rams' No. 1 receiver from jump street, Quick is quickly shaping up as one of 2012's buzz rookies
After doing tape study of Rams rookie Brian Quick, NFL Films' Greg Cosell says Quick has a chance to be the best receiver in the 2012 draft class.Cosell says Quick and Justin Blackmon ran similar routes in college, and "you can make the argument" that Quick shows more athleticism than Blackmon on tape. "With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class," Cosell wrote of Quick. "I know some teams saw him that way." Picking Quick at No. 33 was viewed as a "reach" in draftnik circles, but league evaluators saw it much differently
It all sounds good so far.

Draft fallout: Will Bradford's new WRs pay dividends?

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

Will Bradford's new targets pay dividends?

The Rams never hid their fascination with Justin Blackmon, but lost out on the receiver when Jacksonville traded up to the fifth pick in the draft. St. Louis responded well, wheeling and dealing down to No. 14, where they acquired defensive tackle Michael Brockers, a pick the team was thrilled with.

Brockers -- an aggressive run-stopper -- filled a need on the defensive line, but not on offense, where Sam Bradford lacked weapons.

St. Louis used the draft to address this issue, taking Brian Quick, the receiver out of Appalachian State in the second round. In the fourth they grabbed Wake Forest wideout Chris Givens.

Bradford is entering his critical third season, and the team is depending on Quick and Givens to contribute early. So who are these guys?

On Quick:

His size was a big plus for the Rams. The rangy, 6-foot-4, 222-pounder impressed the powers that be during a meeting with the team. "I think we worked out a lot of receivers and this guy was as good or better than all of them," general manager Les Snead said.

"We went to Appalachian State ... and we worked him out," coach Jeff Fisher told the team's official site. "We had both of our quarterbacks Tom Brandstater and Kellen Clemens throw and when we got in the car to head to the airport they said, 'Wow.' And I think that's where we were, too."

On Givens:

The Rams added a burner at wideout in Givens. Fisher and Co. view him as a plug-in deep threat. He's versatile, having gained experience playing at the X, Y and slot at Wake Forest.

"He was a fast player at the combine," Snead told the team's official site. "He's a 4.3 guy on the clock, but I think you better be able to figure out, like I've said, if he can play fast. And this guy plays very, very fast. I think that’s just going to give us a dimension. He’ll be one of our fastest receivers on our team so that’s just going to open up things for (other guys)."

The Rams enjoyed a solid, balanced draft that met needs on both sides of the ball. Most importantly, if these two pass-catchers pan out, Bradford is no longer throwing to ghosts.

I think Quick will make the biggest leap among rookies from where he will be drafted in 2012 start-ups, to where he will be drafted in 2013 start-ups after his rookie season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rams were awfully excited about Kendricks last year too.
Vernon Davis, Finley, and Fred Davis looked awful their rookie years. Even the all-time great TE Tony Gonzalez had a disappointing rookie year.

They say Quick has never had a true WR coach either. During the senior bowl, he struggled early, but when the WR coaches got a hold of him, he progressed quickly. Imagine this monster with real coaches and dedication to football only ? I think the Rams and Bradford are going to love this guy.

The Rams were awfully excited about Kendricks last year too.
New regime. And Kendricks was a Josh McDaniels influenced pick - at the time Bloom said the draft choice had his fingerprints all over it.
Don't write off Kendricks yet. He has shown flashes of what he is capable of. Huge potential. I think he just had the rookie jitters.
well the Rams certainly have tried to get Bradford weapons.Kendricks-Quick-Givens-Pead. Lets see how it pans out now. Im on the Quick bandwagon

Just saw him taken at 1.4 in the 1250 FFPC Dynasty. Whoa!!
A bit of a a reach but not that much of a surprise as the hype train keeps building - and I haven't heard Fisher this excited about a player since Chris Johnson.I think in rookie drafts over the next month we will see him taken above Jeffery, who was the non-conventional upside WR sleeper pick up to this point. I doubt though he will be taken about Blackmon or probably most of the other picks that are the conventional wisdom - most people are hesitant about a small school prospect who was off most people's radar before the draft.

(Rotoworld) Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed that the Rams anticipate No. 33 pick Brian Quick contributing immediately as a rookie. Analysis: "We expect him to play and be a big part of our offense," Fisher said. "We don't think about it any other way. ... We wouldn't have taken him at the spot where we took him were we not convinced that he was one of those guys that could learn fast and help us very early in the season." Quick has been the early talk of Rams rookie minicamp for his dynamic movement skills at 6-foot-4, 220

Also by David ****

At 6'4, 220 pounds, Quick is like a power forward playing wide receiver. He is fast (4.5 in the 40), and he should provide an excellent target in the red zone.

So far at training camp, Quick is drawing rave reviews. Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network spent a day with the Rams at rookie minicamp, and he had this to say about Quick:

Quick is tall. Not breaking news. But it’s true. The Appalachian State product is listed at 6-foot-3, but he looks bigger. And at 220, he’s quite the beast. I knew the Rams loved him, even though most of us were shocked by the pick. I just wasn’t sure why. That’s becoming clearer. First of all, QB Sam Bradford is tall, and Quick is tall. That is a high-wire connection in the making. Anyway, Quick moves like a small guy, and he really can catch it. I didn’t see him drop one all day. He gets in an out of his breaks well, he’s nimble and he looks like a good athlete. Very solid."

In addition, Nick Wagoner of stlouisrams.com watched the Rams in action at minicamp, and this is what he said:

"WR Brian Quick looked smooth and much more polished than expected. Not saying he’s anywhere near a finished product but he ran good routes and he’s plenty fast enough to become a big time play maker."

--Ian Rapoport of nfl.com covered the Rams' rookie minicamp May 11-12 and came away impressed with first-round pick Brian Quick. He wrote, "Quick is tall. Not breaking news. But it's true. The Appalachian State product is listed at 6-foot-3, but he looks bigger. And at 220, he's quite the beast. I knew the Rams loved him, even though most of us were shocked by the pick. I just wasn't sure why. That's becoming clearer. First of all, QB Sam Bradford is tall, and Quick is tall. That is a high-wire connection in the making. Anyway, Quick moves like a small guy, and he really can catch it. I didn't see him drop one all day. He gets in an out of his breaks well, he's nimble and he looks like a good athlete. Very solid.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19138167/fishers-approach-focuses-on-winning

This kid is going to be a beast, especially being Bradford's main target.

Nice job with the early radar call on this guy and then sticking to your guns amidst the chaos. Anyone can make 20 calls and get a couple right. I don't think that's what you did in November. And it matters little if Quick ends up not living up to 2nd round draft position either. You win already.

And I'd also like to commend you on not copy/pasting your thoughts on a prospect from another site/blog.

Nice job with the early radar call on this guy and then sticking to your guns amidst the chaos. Anyone can make 20 calls and get a couple right. I don't think that's what you did in November. And it matters little if Quick ends up not living up to 2nd round draft position either. You win already.

And I'd also like to commend you on not copy/pasting your thoughts on a prospect from another site/blog.
No, he didn't. In fact the only thread he has ever started in the SP was this one. I have to give kudos to Xue because I would not have been aware of this player if not for this thread but also others that he kept popping up in and saying "What about Brian Quick?" As a consequence I was excited about this player before the Rams drafted him and picked up Quick in two drafts at 1.11, which seemed a reach at the time but doesn't look that bad now.

"Jackson puts the onus on rookie Quick"http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/jackson-puts-the-onus-on-rookie-quick/article_ae7f6d2e-7770-5c2d-9770-c7cb21e025c9.html?mode=story

BY BRYAN BURWELL, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist | Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:45 amThere was Steven Jackson on Tuesday afternoon at Rams Park marveling at how quickly time flies. Wasn't it just yesterday when he was an eager rookie looking to take over the pro football world?Jackson now is an NFL graybeard who has seen his football life whiz by in the blink of an eye. After nine years in the league — far too many of them losing seasons — the Rams' Pro Bowl running back has developed an essential gift.An impatient nature.Time is running out on his football career, and Jackson wants to win now. He wants to be a part of a worst-to-first turnaround at Rams Park and leave the game with a Super Bowl ring, and he hopes that this offseason his new bosses did some smart shopping to make the Rams an instant winner.He's in no mood for long-term rebuilding. He's in no mood for slowly breaking in rookies or coddling gifted youngsters such as second-round draft pick Brian Quick. Rather than toss out pleasant compliments to the rookie wide receiver after the first day of minicamp, Jackson issued a rather gruff challenge to his new teammate.Be ready to make an immediate impact."I'm sure (receivers coach Ray) Sherman will get him right," Jackson said. "But over the next six weeks, he's going to have to work real hard to be prepared for a long season, because we're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team."Some rookies get to ease into their NFL life. Some get the benefit of the doubt that they will be slowly nurtured and allowed to grow into greater responsibility. Quick won't be one of those guys. He was the 33rd player taken in the draft and he's being treated essentially like a first-round pick, full of the same first-round expectations. If the Rams are going to have a more productive offense this season, Quick must be a big-play receiver immediately. He will be expected to dominate down field, be a bold, fearless target over the middle and QB Sam Bradford's most dangerous scoring threat.That's why Jackson took the strategic opportunity to challenge Quick publicly. This was no thoughtless improvisation. This was a well-thought-out message delivered loudly and clearly by the team captain. He wants Quick to understand that the six-week interval between the end of minicamp and the start of training camp shouldn't be considered a vacation. Use the time to get better, to absorb the playbook inside out.The time for fun and games is over."He's a big target, but he has a little ways to go," Jackson said. "What I mean by that is he's coming from Appalachian State. Nothing against it, but it's a (big) difference. It's a difference coming on this field and it's a difference having the mentality of a pro."When someone with Jackson's stature calls you out like that, it's not intended to be an insult. It's actually a compliment. It was his way of providing a sense of urgency to the kid who certainly looks the part of a stud wideout the minute you lay eyes on him on the football field. Quick looks even bigger than 6 feet 3 when he walks onto the field and plays even bigger, too. He goes up in the air like a basketball small forward and snatches the football out of the air like a power forward and he can glide down the sidelines like a long-striding sprinter.Like most of the talent evaluators in the Rams' front office, Jackson can see all those wondrous athletic gifts when he sees his new teammate on the practice field. But he also has seen a rookie who had some struggles with the playbook, because he comes from a mid-major college program that ran a spread offense, didn't use a huddle and never had a voluminous NFL playbook."They just sent our plays in from the sidelines," Quick said. "I got the signals, I knew what my routes were and I just ran them. But now it's a lot to retain. It's not real hard, but it is a challenge, and I have to step up to the plate like Steven said."That's exactly what you want to hear from him, too. Quick didn't make excuses. He didn't recoil when he learned that Jackson had issued him such a stern challenge. Instead, he took it all in and responded the right way. He said he's up to the challenge. He said he not only wants to get better, he will get better."I'm in my playbook," he said. "Every day I come out here to get better and I want to be that guy who can help the team. If that's what it takes, if (Jackson) wants to challenge me, I'm going to step up to the plate and make plays and do the things I need to do to help the team and be a better player."The Rams' personnel people are in love with this kid, so much so that they were convinced that he was as good a prospect as the first receiver taken in the draft — Justin Blackmon. Right now, at least from a character standpoint, the Rams have to feel a bit more at ease with losing out on Blackmon because of his drinking issues. Quick had no character red flags and he's bigger than Blackmon and just as fast. But it's way too early in the process to start trying to determine just how good Quick is going to be.But from what we've seen so far in shorts and T-shirts, he certainly looks the part.Right now, I'm right there with Jackson. I hope the kid understands what's expected of him and is one of those rare godsends like another old smaller-school wideout who had similar athletic gifts and a work ethic that turned him into the greatest pass catcher in NFL history. Jerry Rice became a great receiver not simply because he had more other-worldly talent than other receivers. It also was because he outworked everyone with a rare maniacal passion and became one of Bill Walsh's most scholarly students of the West Coast offense.Football in St. Louis could be a lot of fun again if Quick is a quick study.

Glad to see this thread back on the first page. This guy will enter the year as a starter. He is going to be learning on the fly with a young franchise type QB on his team. This has the makings of being a very good combo going forward.

This guy was a must own on my dynasty team. Snagged him at 1.10 in my rookie draft this year and I am excited to watch him develop.

He's one of the players I'm considering at #12 overall pick in my 10 league. Not sure about him. Would love to see more information etc.

Got him at 2.02 today and pretty happy about it. Martin at 1.05, Wilson at 1.07 and Sanu at 2.07 didn't hurt either, I think I have a good shot at all of those guys seeing the field on day one of regular season.

I get the feeling that the hype on Quick NEXT year will be similar to the hype we were seeing with Jones and Green last year.

So who are the Rams starting wideouts week 1? Does Fisher have a history of starting rookies? Or are vets like Smith and Alexander going to stay afloat. Somebody is going to get targets, but what are predictions. In my startup dynasty the only Rams drafted were Quick and Smith (who has been subsequently released). For teams struggling with wideout depth it would appear to be a bit of a goldmine.

Reminds me of Ramses Barden.Meh.
:goodposting:spot on, except that Ramses wasn't quite as raw. Saw both of these guys at the Senior Bowl (Quick this year, Ramses a few years ago)What's ironic about Quick (former BBall player) is that he doesn't know how to use his frame to 'box out' defenders. That's natural for most hoopsters. NOT impressed with him at all in person. Sloppy in and out of his breaks, doesn't have good 'my ball' mentality, lets too many passes get into his body. I'll pass in dynasty leagues.

Quick's an interesting guy. He definitely has big-time physical skills. But the guy he most reminds me of is Jerome Simpson, another physical freak who was an early 2nd round pick. Jerome just couldn't learn the offense and did absolutely nothing for almost 3 seasons. And even in his 4th season when he finally played, he still struggled badly with route recognition, learning the playbook, etc. I just can't get that scouting report out of my head where a scout said Quick was a good kid but "country simple" and would have a huge struggle handling all of the responsibilities and challenges that come along with being an NFL player.

So who are the Rams starting wideouts week 1? Does Fisher have a history of starting rookies? Or are vets like Smith and Alexander going to stay afloat. Somebody is going to get targets, but what are predictions. In my startup dynasty the only Rams drafted were Quick and Smith (who has been subsequently released). For teams struggling with wideout depth it would appear to be a bit of a goldmine.
The Rams have lots of depthQuickAmendola - slotDXSalasGivens GibsonPettisSmith Lot's of really good ones, just no great ones. They all are very good #2 types.

snagged him at 1.12

worth the roll of the dice.

Looking at that list of "other dudes" shouldnt take much to get him on the field right away

Lammey stated in a podcast the Quick reminds him of Ramses Barden.
That comparison probably results from being a raw, big-bodied FCS WR prospect. Other than that, they are nothing a like in stature and on the field. Barden is heavier, and stiffer. Quick is much more flexible and fluid. Sidney Rice is a better comparison for Quick. Barden is more like a Hank Baskett or Riley Cooper.

:goodposting:spot on, except that Ramses wasn't quite as raw. Saw both of these guys at the Senior Bowl (Quick this year, Ramses a few years ago)What's ironic about Quick (former BBall player) is that he doesn't know how to use his frame to 'box out' defenders. That's natural for most hoopsters. NOT impressed with him at all in person. Sloppy in and out of his breaks, doesn't have good 'my ball' mentality, lets too many passes get into his body. I'll pass in dynasty leagues.
This probably means I should be all in on this guy....

This probably means I should be all in on this guy....
At the senior bowl, Quick was struggling early on. Then he hooked up with a WR coach, something he has never had and suddenly he turned it around and finished really strong. Imagine this guy with real coaches in the NFL ? Great size, speed, hands, leaping, etc. Everything you look for. They say he's a hard worker and desires to get better. I am imagining DX with good knees and better hands.

I think that Givens might be the WR to own in STL
Why do you think this? He's on the very tail end of my roster which includesDezM. WallaceHarvinKendall WrightRandall CobbAJ JenkinsLaurent RobinsonI want to add a QB prospect (Osweiller) and go back and forth on Givens. Is there any positive or negative buzz on him yet? I see him as right there with Quick to be honest and I'm not sold on either.

Tevin Broner ‏@T_Bron

I think Brian Quick, is what people think Blackmon will be. He's big, can break tackles, but makes more impressive catches.

If Quick can put things together in his rookie year and if Steve Smith is back to his NYG form and Amendola is dependable in the slot then St. Louis who looked to be a mess at receiver may give Bradford some actual weapons and consistency.

Steve Smith NYG form was such a good route runner and so dependable. He is starting to creep up my draft boards in redraft as a sleeper pick that can be had for cheap.

If Quick can put things together in his rookie year and if Steve Smith is back to his NYG form and Amendola is dependable in the slot then St. Louis who looked to be a mess at receiver may give Bradford some actual weapons and consistency.Steve Smith NYG form was such a good route runner and so dependable. He is starting to creep up my draft boards in redraft as a sleeper pick that can be had for cheap.
Bradford is the real deal, the WR's will be plenty good with the ones you mentioned plus Pettis, Salas and speedster Givens, BUT, their o-line friggen blows. The o-line will cause this team, which is actually vary talented, to be be picking in the top 5 again. Until they address OT, they will always suck. Luckily they have 2 first rounders the next 2 years to address it.

Fish has flat out said he was 5th or 6th best WR right now. He's not sugar coating anything for the rook. It's classic with coach talking, young guy busting at practice...he probably earned a catch with his hard work. There's zero indication it's more than that.

basically blew up the DB when the DB tried to get physical with him.

Nice play.

Any word from STl as to why he isnt on the field more? Was he just on the field due to Givens being in the dog house?

Nice play.

Any word from STl as to why he isnt on the field more? Was he just on the field due to Givens being in the dog house?
He only played 7 snaps total. My guess is he probably isn't trusted to know the playbook yet. He's had two great plays in each of last two games, so we know the potential is there. Here is the reception from the Pats game:
.On a side note: Quick definitely looks a bit thicker than his App State days. He looked closer to 210-215 back then.

basically blew up the DB when the DB tried to get physical with him. Nice play.Any word from STl as to why he isnt on the field more? Was he just on the field due to Givens being in the dog house?
Given was benched due to violating team rules.Quick was extremely raw entering this year. I and many others were hoping his athletic ability would allow him to get more playing time and speed up his ability to be fantasy worthy, but he has had some mental erros due to being raw and he is not yet trusted consistently by the coaching staff.Quick has zero fantasy value this year as he is not going to warrant enough targets even if others are injured and or don't play. He will need a good off season and he will have to put in a hard work to have any value next year in fantasy.Right now he is down the depth chart. Amendola, and Givens are the WR 1 and WR 2 however Amendola is a free agent at the end of this year, but I am assuming they bring him back. The rest of the St. Louis WR group is not good. Pettis, Smith, Gibson and company will be after thoughts if/when Quick puts it together. He is much more skilled and talented than those guys. So it will be a matter of how "quickly" he catches on.Quick is a prototypical outside WR1. He is big 6'3 and weighs 220. He was compared to Terrel Owens (6'3, 226 lbs) due to his size and physical ability and how they were both so raw coming from small schools upon entering the NFL. Owens first couple years were not that good. In year 1, Owens had 35 catches for 520 yards with 4 td's.Amendola at 5'11 and 188 lbs and Givens at 6'0 and 198 lbs are different type of players than Quick. However, like I said Quick needs a good off season and to continue to work on the play book.

Nice play.

He only played 7 snaps total. My guess is he probably isn't trusted to know the playbook yet. He's had two great plays in each of last two games, so we know the potential is there. Here is the reception from the Pats game:
I think this is correct. Hasn't picked up the offense very well, which will be a major stumbling block. Stl needs a WR like him and he does get some redzone action but they haven't connected until this week.

Users who are viewing this thread