What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Quick WR Saint Louis Rams [Appalachian State] (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs.
In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack.

Source: 101 ESPN St. Louis

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs.
In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack.

that's great but they were impressed with him at this time last year too. I think many of us are anxious to see him do well in a preseason game or regularly against the 1s in camp.

Rotoworld:

just fluff but people shouldn't have given up after 1 season, especially since he was most likely a late 1st or early 2nd

that's great but they were impressed with him at this time last year too. I think many of us are anxious to see him do well in a preseason game or regularly against the 1s in camp.
Exactly. Never underestimate a teams beat writer to write fluff pieces on players. OTA's without pads make everyone look good.

Does Quick have upside? Absolutely. But he's a crowded situation right now. I'll be holding until I see more development outside of praise given by local beat writers.

Here's what I gather-

no one else says this about Quick.

There is a lot out there about Cook and Bradford.

Jim Thomas mentions tryout WRs and Pettis on his twitter. There are plenty of articles and tweets about these undrafted FAs impressing.

Givens is playing the slot when Cook isn't. This would be key if this were near the regular season and not June since Amendola got so much love there.

I have seen very little about Quick.

That quote is from this interview here

http://www.101sports.com/podcasts/tony-softli-offers-the-latest-developments-from-otas-at-rams-park-06-07-2013/

What's also curious is people discussing Quick's hamstring limiting him and only this guy saying 17 catches

The Post Dispatch did an article on Quick recently and this would have been a great followup they'd surely jump on.

My gut says don't believe this report. That radio guy didn't have a private practice for him; this news would be elsewhere.

I guess another way to put it would be that you could find 20 writers discussing Quick and none of them thought to mention 17 catches. Everyone would be talking about it if it happened.

Does everyone actually feel this offense can support 3 receiving threats? They didn't pay Cook all those dollars to not use him. They just drafted Tavon 8th. Then there's Quick and Givens at WR as well. Hate to break it to you guys, but Bradford is still the QB and this offense didn't all of a sudden become the packers. I don't see any WR having much more than a WR2 upside (at best) and I have a hard time even thinking they put up WR3 numbers reliably. Not to mention that the running game should be weaker without SJax. I could be wrong, but this offense likely needs a year to mature at least and you better hope that Long stays healthy or the protection issues will doom them yet again.

Does everyone actually feel this offense can support 3 receiving threats? They didn't pay Cook all those dollars to not use him. They just drafted Tavon 8th. Then there's Quick and Givens at WR as well. Hate to break it to you guys, but Bradford is still the QB and this offense didn't all of a sudden become the packers. I don't see any WR having much more than a WR2 upside (at best) and I have a hard time even thinking they put up WR3 numbers reliably. Not to mention that the running game should be weaker without SJax. I could be wrong, but this offense likely needs a year to mature at least and you better hope that Long stays healthy or the protection issues will doom them yet again.
The o-line was actually pretty decent last year, it was the receivers who couldn't get separation. Givens is a one trick pony with his deep routes, and Pettis was Boldin-light (real light), Amendola missed numerous games and Gibson was inconsistant. People don't realize what Bradford has been dealing with his first 3 years. Now, with the addition of Austin, Bailey and Cook, that should change in a hurry. Are you going to put a LB and safety on Cook and Austin? If you double them, Quick and Givens could have field days. And don't forget TE Kendricks. Very underrated player who is coming on strong. Looks like a potentially very explosive group imo.

Those owners who have given up on this guy and sold cheaply may regret it.Nobody should have expected him to set the world.on fire last season.
I hope so, I've been hoovering the kid up as a throw in my trades all summer. The price you can get him for is frankly ridiculous.

I always remember the interview Les Snead gave for ESPN where he said when they saw Quick they thought 'Vincent Jackson.' VJax came from a D2 team and in his rookie year had 3 receptions for 59 yards, and the impression I got was that Snead/The Rams were well aware that Quick would develop slowly, but that his upside was huge.

As a Quick owner in basically all my leagues, this is me crossing my fingers very tightly.

Exactly. Never underestimate a teams beat writer to write fluff pieces on players. OTA's without pads make everyone look good. Does Quick have upside? Absolutely. But he's a crowded situation right now. I'll be holding until I see more development outside of praise given by local beat writers.
Softli is not a beat writer. He's a goof that no one in this town respects. So your point is valid.

The o-line was actually pretty decent last year, it was the receivers who couldn't get separation. Givens is a one trick pony with his deep routes, and Pettis was Boldin-light (real light), Amendola missed numerous games and Gibson was inconsistant. People don't realize what Bradford has been dealing with his first 3 years. Now, with the addition of Austin, Bailey and Cook, that should change in a hurry. Are you going to put a LB and safety on Cook and Austin? If you double them, Quick and Givens could have field days. And don't forget TE Kendricks. Very underrated player who is coming on strong. Looks like a potentially very explosive group imo.
But are Fisher and Shottenheimer capable of running an explosive offense? With the weapons they now have and a first overall qb going into year 4, it seems like a no brainer to let it rip. Just having a hard time seeing it happen.

Exactly. Never underestimate a teams beat writer to write fluff pieces on players. OTA's without pads make everyone look good. Does Quick have upside? Absolutely. But he's a crowded situation right now. I'll be holding until I see more development outside of praise given by local beat writers.
Softli is not a beat writer. He's a goof that no one in this town respects. So your point is valid.
This.

He used to have front office positions for both Carolina and the Rams but listening to him on a regular basis is painful and there's a lot of stuff he doesn't seem to "get".

There is no telling why St Louis signed Cook, especially for that money, but I have never thought he was much of a threat to steal anyone's targets. I know he has enjoyed some hype over the last 4 years but he has never consistently proven that he was worthy of being anything more than a situational player outside of two good games at the end of 2011. Also, Schottenheimer is calling plays and he hasn't really shown a propensity to feature a TE that I am aware of.

That said, I like Quick to take a step forward this year. I see some are brushing off the positive reports as something that was done this time last year. That simply isn't true. All reports out of camp last year were that Quick was going to take some time and that he was extremely raw. It obviously remains to be seen how he will shake out in the future but I see his upside as Jordy Nelson or a better Marques Colston if he gets decent play from the QB position at some point.

The Rams have had an awfully poor WR corps since Bradford was drafted. They've tried with bandaids and duct tape, but went into this draft with just 3 WRs-clearly in a different mode for them.

This is a big request, but if two of Stedman, Tavon, or Quick are good this year the Rams will be dramatically better IMO.

Many question the run without Jackson, so they might take a step back in the running game and step forward in the passing game.

We'll see. Pretty much though, the Rams have been trying to make the most of poor talent.

My guess would be Cook and one other does well. I also think Bradford is a very good QB that has been struggling with these lesser WRs. Rookies running wrong routes and getting alligator arms will hurt him in a big way, possibly ending his stint with the Rams even. Alot of people seem to think Bradford has to do well this year.

They don't exactly have a replacement for their franchise QB and they don't grow on trees n all, but I think the sentiment is there that Bradford must do well.

There is no telling why St Louis signed Cook, especially for that money, but I have never thought he was much of a threat to steal anyone's targets. I know he has enjoyed some hype over the last 4 years but he has never consistently proven that he was worthy of being anything more than a situational player outside of two good games at the end of 2011. Also, Schottenheimer is calling plays and he hasn't really shown a propensity to feature a TE that I am aware of.

That said, I like Quick to take a step forward this year. I see some are brushing off the positive reports as something that was done this time last year. That simply isn't true. All reports out of camp last year were that Quick was going to take some time and that he was extremely raw. It obviously remains to be seen how he will shake out in the future but I see his upside as Jordy Nelson or a better Marques Colston if he gets decent play from the QB position at some point.
Quick flashed some awesomeness in camp last year. He had a touchdown late in the season that caught everyone's attention-many of the accompanying articles stated how they hadn't seen him play like that since camp. Alot of small school talents went from being a man amongst boys to men playing with men.

I think going against Finnegan will indirectly show us who is going to be a significant contributor or not. If some of these young guys and UFAs can't go toe to toe with him in practice, then they're not ready.

Camp is more about getting ready for the season than development. A player can quickly be put in a "well maybe next year" category during camp.

Both Pettis and Givens seemed to showup rarin' to go. They're not stepping aside for these new players and that's the climate Fisher wants in camp. Everyone has these guys being replaced this year or next and those two have reacted quite well. The Rams aren't exactly going to be complaining if drafting Tavon and Stedman wound up motivating Givens to turn him into a 1200 yard WR. (Quite unlikely, just saying)This is training camp, they're supposed to battle for playing time.

Two guys that were similar in that they were raw coming out, went late first/early in most rookie drafts last year, and didn't make much of an impact rookie year are Brian Quick and Stephen Hill. Who would you guys rather own in dynasty?

Two guys that were similar in that they were raw coming out, went late first/early in most rookie drafts last year, and didn't make much of an impact rookie year are Brian Quick and Stephen Hill. Who would you guys rather own in dynasty?
For me, it's Hill but he needs to learn to be more physical.

Rams' Quick has 'stepped up': Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Tuesday that second-year receiver Brian Quick has made improvements in his game since last season. He was little used in 2012 because he couldn't adjust to the speed of the game, but he's since made the transition. "He’s stepped up this year," Schottenheimer said. "He’s just much more comfortable. He’s able to think a little bit. There was a period yesterday where we got some tough looks defensively from the defense and maybe something he would have missed last year, route adjustments and stuff, he nailed. He’s doing really, really well. I think even coming back in training camp and hearing it again will be great for him." (Updated 6/12/13)

Fantasy Analysis Physically, Quick has a Julio Jones-esque package: He's 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds with excellent speed. Mentally he was behind the curve but could start making some plays now that his reps seem to be headed in the right direction. Quick will need a strong training camp and preseason for him to get drafted in typical standard Fantasy leagues but there is some deep sleeper appeal for those owners in PPR formats and leagues that go beyond 16 rounds.
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1687422/brian-quick

Brian Quick finishes Rams offseason as No. 4 receiver

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport informed us a year ago that the St. Louis Rams were "insanely excited" about second-round wide receiver Brian Quick, whom position coach Ray Sherman compared to Terrell Owens. The Rams even had a higher draft grade on Quick than No. 13 overall pick Michael Floyd.

Although Quick essentially was redshirted after struggling to master the playbook, he was expected to ascend to the starting lineup this offseason. That has yet to happen because Quick has an Austin Pettis problem.

Quick is "doing a lot better" and has "stepped up this year," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Even with the improvements, Quick is stuck in the fourth receiver role after Pettis' MVP performance in offseason practices.

"Quite honestly, (Pettis) is probably having the best camp of all the skill players," Schottenheimer said via Stlouisrams.com. "He's a tireless worker, very competitive, can play all the spots which helps and he's having a tremendous spring."

The Rams will enter training camp with Pettis and Chris Givens as the starting outside wide receivers and first-rounder Tavon Austin in the slot. We wouldn't count out Quick just yet, though. While Pettis' role grew down the stretch last season, his yards-per-reception average of 8.7 is damning. The Rams will have to weigh Pettis' reliability against Quick's considerable edge in play-making ability.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

the messaging here is all kinds of messed up. one week it' "he's stepping up" and the next "he's not a starter". he's basically competing with Pettis for the starting gig because Austin and Givens are entrenched. this is just another positional battle that will play out over training camp and likely into the first few weeks of the season.

so I guess he wasn't doing that good, lol @ offseason fluff
I don't take anything from his depth chart placement coming out of a mini camp. Quick is still a project & the Rams Coaching Staff wouldn't be doing him any favors by telling him he's already a starter. Put him at the 4th WR, let him know that he still has work to do & see what happens in training camp. If the Rams offense blows up this year like some believe, it will be Quick in the starting lineup. If he figures out the mental part, he can just physically do things that the other WRs can't.

Yep,

so I guess he wasn't doing that good, lol @ offseason fluff
I don't take anything from his depth chart placement coming out of a mini camp. Quick is still a project & the Rams Coaching Staff wouldn't be doing him any favors by telling him he's already a starter. Put him at the 4th WR, let him know that he still has work to do & see what happens in training camp. If the Rams offense blows up this year like some believe, it will be Quick in the starting lineup. If he figures out the mental part, he can just physically do things that the other WRs can't.
Yep, this.

I'm not downgrading his ranking too much because of some camp stuff about him being their 4th WR, just like I didn't upgrade him when all the camp stuff came out about him playing well. The fact is that he is a buy-low right now and has the physical abilities to be a WR1 in both real life and fantasy terms.

He may never put it all together, but the risk/reward right now is so good that I'm stashing him wherever I can. I'd much rather carry Quick as my WR5/6 than a Santana Moss, or a Domenik Hixon.

From what I understand Quick has been improving, but Pettis has been busting his tail and improved as well. Should be an interesting battle to watch. Ive tried to acquire Pettis in to hedge my bets but his price seems to high.

Rotoworld:

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, second-year WR Brian Quick flashed "big-play ability" at OTAs, but continued to experience "periods of inconsistency."
The 33rd overall pick in last year's draft, Quick struggled to comprehend Brian Schottenheimer's playbook as a rookie and remains a work in progress entering his second NFL training camp. Quick offers a lot of sleeper appeal, but obviously still needs to earn playing time. He's battling Austin Pettis for a starting job.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

This year, we've seen Quick without pads. This kind of OTA stuff minimizes physical play, so Quick can't muscle through players. Padless practices take away a good deal of Quick's assets, so it's not really a shock to hear him not being talked up or being "passed up" by Pettis. So in my mind, no news is good news. If we had heard about him, it would most likely have been something along the lines of "He still seems like he's behind the curve on grasping the playbook." Once the pads go on, Quick will make up any lost ground so long as my assumption is right that he is getting the playbook down. I fully expect he'll be lining up on the outside across from Givens in week one.

This year, we've seen Quick without pads. This kind of OTA stuff minimizes physical play, so Quick can't muscle through players. Padless practices take away a good deal of Quick's assets, so it's not really a shock to hear him not being talked up or being "passed up" by Pettis. So in my mind, no news is good news. If we had heard about him, it would most likely have been something along the lines of "He still seems like he's behind the curve on grasping the playbook." Once the pads go on, Quick will make up any lost ground so long as my assumption is right that he is getting the playbook down. I fully expect he'll be lining up on the outside across from Givens in week one.
I don't know if I'm quite as optimistic, but since he's rounding out my roster as a WR8 he seems like a very good low-risk, high-upside type of player.

Rotoworld:

Rams COO Kevin Demoff insists the team is not down on second-year WR Brian Quick despite his running as the team's No. 4 wideout at OTAs.
Quick maintains big-time talent, and the Rams aren't giving up on him after a slow rookie season. We'll find out a lot about Quick this August. "I know a lot was made that he was supposedly the 'fourth receiver' but I don't know how that story got legs and took on a life of its own," said Demoff. "Brian Quick has had a very strong offseason and we're excited about his progress."

Source: Turf Show Times

biju said:
Junior McSpiffy said:
I don't know if I'm quite as optimistic, but since he's rounding out my roster as a WR8 he seems like a very good low-risk, high-upside type of player.
I'm not saying being the WR2 on the Rams turns him into some grand investment. That's for people to determine for themselves. But I am looking at the news and not letting it deter me from penciling him in at that position. That said, the latest interview with the team's COO makes it sound like they aren't looking to feed one or two players like a WR1. They are looking to spread things around and get everybody 50 catches.

biju said:
Junior McSpiffy said:
I'm not saying being the WR2 on the Rams turns him into some grand investment. That's for people to determine for themselves. But I am looking at the news and not letting it deter me from penciling him in at that position. That said, the latest interview with the team's COO makes it sound like they aren't looking to feed one or two players like a WR1. They are looking to spread things around and get everybody 50 catches.
Similar to the Saints. WR's Givens, Quick, Auston, Pettis, Bailey, TE's Cook and Kendricks and RB's Richardson, Pead and Stacy give the Rams so many options. These are all young dudes with very high ceilings.

biju said:
Junior McSpiffy said:
Similar to the Saints. WR's Givens, Quick, Auston, Pettis, Bailey, TE's Cook and Kendricks and RB's Richardson, Pead and Stacy give the Rams so many options. These are all young dudes with very high ceilings.
I don't think they all have high ceilings.

Givens and Pettis improved their games dramatically (according to everyone) this offseason. They were not "thoroughbreds" by any means in January of 2013.

Quick was drafted to be a top NFL WR as was Austin. I do not think Givens or Pettis are capable of this. If the reports are correct (keep in mind, we have never seen Givens or Pettis play at the level people claim they are) then I'd think the Rams would be fortunate to get 1000 and 800 yards out of them. This is not a high WR ceiling.

At times, Steven Jackson's backups looked like backups. I don't think there's three franchise RBs there.

(It won't happen but) if all the WRs you mentioned get 800 yards, that's 4000 for Bradford and the Rams are rolling. IMO This year was about getting productivity and giving Sam options for the first time ever. It has seemed each year he had one guy to throw to.

Kendricks is a backup TE. I've watched him often enough and that guy is a backup. Cook is going to totally outclass him and you'll see. Still if they got 600 and 400 from their TEs, that's 1000 to their TEs and excellent for them.

There are not likely to be any studs in STL unless it's Austin.

It's very possible Pettis and Givens are not with the team in a couple years because the other young players have developed and are better.

It's very possible Quick is the fifth best WR in camp and he starts; all because of upside.

Rams fans have predictions that involve an awful lot of young talent and unproven talent suddenly panning out. That's awfully precarious. I feel it. I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon of so many here, but collectively it seems unreasonable.

I think some of these youngsters will have some outstanding games but when they stink Pettis and Givens will get it done.

Quick can not be the 2nd coming of Ramses Barden and so many like him. Fisher will throw him to the wolves eventually.

biju said:
I don't think they all have high ceilings.

Givens and Pettis improved their games dramatically (according to everyone) this offseason. They were not "thoroughbreds" by any means in January of 2013.

Quick was drafted to be a top NFL WR as was Austin. I do not think Givens or Pettis are capable of this. If the reports are correct (keep in mind, we have never seen Givens or Pettis play at the level people claim they are) then I'd think the Rams would be fortunate to get 1000 and 800 yards out of them. This is not a high WR ceiling.

At times, Steven Jackson's backups looked like backups. I don't think there's three franchise RBs there.

(It won't happen but) if all the WRs you mentioned get 800 yards, that's 4000 for Bradford and the Rams are rolling. IMO This year was about getting productivity and giving Sam options for the first time ever. It has seemed each year he had one guy to throw to.

Kendricks is a backup TE. I've watched him often enough and that guy is a backup. Cook is going to totally outclass him and you'll see. Still if they got 600 and 400 from their TEs, that's 1000 to their TEs and excellent for them.

There are not likely to be any studs in STL unless it's Austin.

It's very possible Pettis and Givens are not with the team in a couple years because the other young players have developed and are better.

It's very possible Quick is the fifth best WR in camp and he starts; all because of upside.

Rams fans have predictions that involve an awful lot of young talent and unproven talent suddenly panning out. That's awfully precarious. I feel it. I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon of so many here, but collectively it seems unreasonable.

I think some of these youngsters will have some outstanding games but when they stink Pettis and Givens will get it done.

Quick can not be the 2nd coming of Ramses Barden and so many like him. Fisher will throw him to the wolves eventually.

I think you are underestimating them. Givens is a really good route runner with very good hands and great speed. Pettis is a big, strong possession receiver who reminds me of a Bolden type. He kept getting better and better as the year went on. Great hands too. Bailey reminds me of a Holt, Bruce, Wayne type of receiver from watching him in college. He catches everything. Austin is the wild card. He looks like a Barry Sanders / Percy Harvin combo. The only problem with judging these guys is, they are going to spread the ball around like crazy. They will use TE Cook a lot too. Austin and Cook are going to give D's nightmares.

And the few times they threw to Quick, he looks really impressive. Big, Strong and fast. He just needs to learn how to play in an NFL offense and by all reports, he has learned a lot this off season. Last year he didn't have a clue coming from a-state

https://twitter.com/jimiramsboy/status/360508345192423425

Quick's cuts and routes are brisker and more confident...chopping his legs better #ramscamp
https://twitter.com/jimiramsboy/status/360515846789005312

Quick runs a great dig after the rest draw the coverage, catches with his hands #ramscamp
https://twitter.com/AnthonyStalter/status/360516948301332480

Brian Quick with a nice snag deep over the middle. Caught the ball out in front of pads - strong hands. What does it all mean? Pro Bowl.
https://twitter.com/ShaneGmoSTLRams/status/360539417913458688

2nd year WR Brian Quick had a nice day & shared excitement when talking about what this wide receiver corps could do together in 2013. #Rams
https://twitter.com/ShaneGmoSTLRams/status/360578964810498049

Much more 2 come on Brian Quick aka @WORKAHOLIC_BQ tmrw @101espn but he did say that "I feel faster" as compared to 2012. Watching, I agreed

Thanks sue. Had some offers out there trying to obtain a 2nd for Quick, but I think holding is a better investment despite needing.roster room.just.too much upside

Quick is going to be an ace in the hole for the Rams. With all the attention going to Givens, Austin,Cook and Bailey, Quick is going to destroy single coverage.

Quick is going to be an ace in the hole for the Rams. With all the attention going to Givens, Austin,Cook and Bailey, Quick is going to destroy single coverage.
I don't agree with the love for a fourth WR, discussed above, but it's awesome that Rams fans are excited.

Rotoworld:

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, second-year WR Brian Quick is "clearly" not one of the Rams' top three receivers at this point.
Quick has "made strides but still has work to do" to pass Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, or Austin Pettis. Quick excels at red-zone fade patterns, but isn't catching the football consistently enough or using his size regularly to his advantage. It should be noted Quick is seeing first-team reps, so the Rams are trying to work him in. He dropped two passes in Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage.

Rotoworld:

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, second-year WR Brian Quick is "clearly" not one of the Rams' top three receivers at this point.

Quick has "made strides but still has work to do" to pass Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, or Austin Pettis. Quick excels at red-zone fade patterns, but isn't catching the football consistently enough or using his size regularly to his advantage. It should be noted Quick is seeing first-team reps, so the Rams are trying to work him in. He dropped two passes in Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage.

At least he's ahead of Bailey. I expect him to pass Pettis prior to the start of the regular season, but that still would leave him 4th on the totem pole. Givens, Cook, Austin, Quick. Givens will lead in yards, Cook in TD, Austin in receptions. Quick will be a hold in case somebody goes down, in which case he would likely be elevated to starter. Unless he makes a big move up the depth chart, can't touch him in redraft for 2013.

- It was an up and down day for Quick, who started off with a nice catch and route on a fade pass for a touchdown in red zone work but he had a couple of drops later in practice, including one on which he’d created good separation on a deep dig route. He also missed a block on a sweep for RB Zac Stacy. http://blog.stlouisr...thursday-night/
It does sound like Quick is playing more physical than last season, he has improved. The little things, such as route running and blocking are likely what is keeping Pettis ahead of him for now.

I think both Pettis and Quick will be passed up by Bailey eventually. He does all of those little things well and more.

Rotoworld:

His physical tools were never the question with him, so a few drops right now don't concern me. That is fixable. He is getting the playbook down, and that was always the issue with him. If I am satisfied with my top 4 WRs going into the last round of the draft, I'll take a flier on him. He won't produce much at the beginning of the season, but I'm expecting about halfway through the season, the light bulb will go on. But if I am in a WR3-by-committee situation, then I'll need to invest that last WR slot in someone who can possibly contribute right away.

Rams' Brian Quick seeking consistency

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Ask nearly any Rams coach or player about second-year wideout Brian Quick and you’re bound to hear plenty of different thoughts, but one buzzword will keep coming up: consistency.

Blessed with a size, speed and strength package that no other Rams wideout possesses, Quick teases with what he could become should his potential ever convert to production.

Depending on the day, Quick can tantalize with that ability but can also disappear for long stretches of time. After perhaps his best practice of this training camp Tuesday afternoon, Quick has put together a pair of strong workouts in a row.

Quick’s work hasn’t gone unnoticed. Rams great Isaac Bruce noted Monday that Quick has all the ability in the world but just needs to find some consistency.

“Man, he has it all,” Bruce said. “He has speed, he has the physique, he has huge hands. The guy can run and get down the field and he can get out of his break. That’s the biggest thing in this league is being able to transition.”

Torry Holt, Bruce’s former running mate and Rams legend in his own right, arrived in town Monday afternoon and has witnessed practiced both days.

Quick followed a solid performance on Monday with a performance Tuesday in which he hauled in about a half-dozen catches during team drills, including a deep out in which he beat cornerback Janoris Jenkins, a deep ball down the sideline and a handful of intermediate dig routes.

At one point, Quick caught two in a row and Holt implored him from the sideline to “keep going.”

“Quick had an outstanding day,” Holt said. “I think these last two days have been really good for him.”

From Holt’s perspective, Quick needs to take advantage of his greatest asset: his size. At 6-foot-3, 218 pounds, Quick brings a different look from smaller, quicker teammates such as Tavon Austin and Chris Givens.

Having Quick provide a different look on the outside would give the Rams a unique variety of possibilities with the wideouts, but first he must consistently use that size to an advantage.

“Quick, you’re big, you are supposed to play big,” Holt said. “It doesn’t matter if you hurt people’s feelings. I’m not here to save your feelings. I’m big, I’m bigger than you, that’s how I’m going to play and the last couple days we saw that. It’s just a matter of Quick just continuing to be consistent, believe in what it is he can do.”

I still think this guy is going to be really good. He is missing piece to an explosive offense because of what he can bring. Imagine trying to cover 2 speedsters in Givens and Austin, and also 2 big, fast guys in Cook and Quick in 4 WR sets? Cook is really a WR. Cook will play inside along with Tavon.

Rotoworld:

Rams WRs coach Ray Sherman is pleased with Brian Quick's progress.
"I am very pleased with what he’s doing," Sherman said. "He’s a guy that before I might have to tell him a couple times to do something but now you can tell him one time and he gets it and understands what he needs to do. I am really impressed with the way he’s coming around." Quick has caught just three passes for 47 yards in the preseason, and is running with the second-team offense. He doesn't appeared headed for a redraft-league breakout.

Source: ESPN.com

Users who are viewing this thread