What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Quick WR Saint Louis Rams [Appalachian State] (2 Viewers)

Quarterback Sam Bradford had what looked like his best practice of camp as he frequently connected on passes down the field. The primary recipient? Receiver Brian Quick. Quick is off to a good start in this camp and only built on that start with Tuesday's work. Bradford and Quick hooked up a couple of times on deep balls in early team drills and then Quick brought even more cheers when he caught another deep ball from rookie quarterback Garrett Gilbert later on. Bradford also hit receiver Kenny Britt for about a 40-yard touchdown deep down the right sideline as Britt got behind cornerback Brandon McGee. That play elicited the biggest cheers of the day.

First of all, Quick has looked good in practice before. I did see one report that he wasn't coming back to the ball or being physical, but there seem to be far more saying that he is beginning to play up to his size and with more aggressiveness attacking the ball. Maybe Britt has been a good influence. If the light comes on, though being raw from Appalachian State (Former BAL/CLE and current NFL channel scout Daniel Jeremiah was a QB there), his combo of physical tools and athleticism for a big WR elicited comparisons by some scouts at the time to a young Terrell Owens. He is now in his THIRD season, a watershed demarcation line for some previous breakout WRs. I'm cautiously optimistic. OC Schotenheimer has called him the most improved player in training camp. At first I thought they were rotating different starting WR combinations (and maybe they are, it is still early?), but in the two previous days, Britt and Quick were taking first team reps on the outside with Austin working in the slot. Bailey has also reportedly flashed, but is suspended for the first four games.

http://stl.scout.com/2/1428280.html#/2/1428280.html

ST. LOUIS — Brian Quick drew praise from Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer for his play during OTAs and the wide receiver’s progress has carried over to the early days of training camp.
“And that’s what it’s going to take,” Quick said. “It started from OTAs. I’m bringing it on right here to camp. I’m showing that he can trust me and that I can come out here and play.”

The Rams’ second-round pick in 2012 didn’t produce much in his first two NFL seasons, so when the offensive coordinator praised Quick near the end of the team’s OTA sessions, many fans probably disregarded it.

“I’ll tell you what, probably the most improved player I’ve seen is Brian Quick,” Schottenheimer said then. “He’s doing a great job. Another guy that we’re giving an opportunity to. He’s competing for playing time. He’s made the most of his opportunities. He started today. Again, just moving guys around, in and out of the lineup, trying to create competition and he’s stepped up and again — like Kenny (Britt) — and made a lot of big plays for us.”

Quick, 25, has just 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns over 31 games in his first two seasons. His 18 receptions ranked seventh on the Rams a year ago, behind Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis, Chris Givens, Lance Kendricks and Zac Stacy.

The Appalachian State product said during OTAs that he wasn’t thinking out on the field, that he was playing fast, being more physical and having fun. Knowing the playbook and knowing what he’s supposed to be doing in the offense made everything easier for him, he said.

It’s his third year in this offense, so Quick now feels very comfortable.

Now it’s time for the wide receiver to produce.

Asked Tuesday if he felt pressure to produce because he was a high draft pick, Quick said “pressure” wasn’t the right word.

“I just feel like it’s something I have to do,” he said. “I’m here for a reason. I want us to do good, as a team, and that starts with me doing my job. I feel like for me it’s about that time. Two years is enough time for me to get everything together. I feel like I’m putting the work in and I feel like I’m getting better every day.”

And he wants to produce for the organization that drafted him.

That’s one of the reasons Quick went out to California following OTAs and went through grueling two-a-day workouts with Proactive Sports Performance to prepare for his third training camp in St Louis.

“They gave me an opportunity to be here,” Quick said. “I’m blessed to be here. This organization gave me a chance. So I feel like it’s time for me to produce and do the things I need to do. I feel like I’m having fun. That’s what it’s all about. We’re coming out here together and having fun. It starts off with camp and just practicing and getting everything together.”

The Rams’ receiving corps is filled with question marks going into 2014 with several players showing glimpses of potential at times but unable to establish themselves as proven producers.

Cook, the tight end who signed the big free agent deal last season, led St. Louis receivers with 51 catches, 671 yards and five touchdowns in 2013. Austin was next in receptions with 40. Givens was next in yardage with 569. Austin, Pettis and Kendricks each had four touchdown catches.

Each of the Rams’ eight top pass-catchers a year ago are back this year. Of their top 12 receivers in 2013, only running back Daryl Richardson is no longer with the Rams during training camp.

The most notable addition to the receiving group this offseason was Kenny Britt, but he’s coming off a season in Tennessee where he caught 11 passes for 96 yards in 12 games. But Britt’s short time in St. Louis has already had a positive impact on Quick.

“Yeah you can see,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “One thing about Kenny is that Kenny may make a mistake as far as an incorrect route here and there, but he does it going full speed. And Brian early on in his career if he wasn’t sure, he wasn’t quite at full speed. I think Brian’s learned just to go. Good things happen when you’re running hard.”

You can follow Nate Latsch on Twitter at @NateLatsch or email him at natelatsch@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisher said that in the past, Quick had to think about where he was going for his routes, he now runs them at full speed. Maybe this this the year Quick puts it all together. The dude has the tools to be elite.

Rotoworld:

The Rams are hoping that WR Brian Quick is "ready to make a leap forward" this season.
Quick has totaled just 29 catches, 458 yards, and four touchdowns since the Rams took him 33rd overall in 2012. He's getting the majority of first-team reps opposite Kenny Britt in training camp and could push for the starting X-receiver role. Quick is entering his third season, where receivers traditionally make their biggest statistical leap. The Rams believe his size/speed combo could finally translate into production, and project to pass more with Sam Bradford returning. Quick is a post-hype sleeper worth monitoring in deeper leagues.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

I heard something like this a week ago or so, kinda sticking with me-Quick is the guy that can get people off the dance floor so that Tavon has the space to do his thing. I like it better than stretching the D so Austin can work underneath-more colorful.

Rotoworld:

Brian Quick - WR - Rams

Brian Quick failed to reel in his lone target in Friday night's preseason opener against the Saints.

Quick was the starter opposite Kenny Britt, though, and saw plenty of run with the starting offense. Britt has the edge for No. 1 duties, while Quick and sophomore Stedman Bailey fight for the No. 2 role. Working in Quick's favor is that Bailey is suspended for the first four games of the season. We hope to see more from Quick this preseason, especially with all of the training camp hype.

Aug 8 - 11:38 PM

Quick's lone target was an overthrow in my opinion by Hill. For what it's worth Britt didn't have any. Not taking this game as anything to serious of things to come.

For people looking for signs of a breakout, his catch against GB (about 40 yards?) was maybe the best I've seen him make in any pre or regular season game. He also drew a PI penalty on what might have been a TD in the same drive. If I'm not mistaken, he had one of his better games week seven against CAR last year, which was the last Bradford played of the season, so in that sense they didn't skip a beat. At about 6'3" 220, he has similar size to Julio Jones (though not as fast, athletic, talented or skilled, obviously, just comparing size).

If the current rotation holds up, Britt and Quick are starting on the outside (nice size/speed combos, especially when you include TE Cook in the receiving mix, he led everybody last year, and broke the franchise receiving yards record for his position), Austin is in the slot and Bailey is the first off the bench. Givens is looking like a forgotten man, getting in some cases third team reps (same with Pettis, but for me that was more of a given). It will be interesting to see who asserts themselves in the first four games until Bailey returns. Some Rams reporters think Bailey has looked like the best WR on the roster at times, and is primed for a big role once he returns, but it is unclear if that would come at the expense of Britt, Quick, or even Austin.

Bob Magaw said:
For people looking for signs of a breakout, his catch against GB (about 40 yards?) was maybe the best I've seen him make in any pre or regular season game. He also drew a PI penalty on what might have been a TD in the same drive. If I'm not mistaken, he had one of his better games week seven against CAR last year, which was the last Bradford played of the season, so in that sense they didn't skip a beat. At about 6'3" 220, he has similar size to Julio Jones (though not as fast, athletic, talented or skilled, obviously, just comparing size).

If the current rotation holds up, Britt and Quick are starting on the outside (nice size/speed combos, especially when you include TE Cook in the receiving mix, he led everybody last year, and broke the franchise receiving yards record for his position), Austin is in the slot and Bailey is the first off the bench. Givens is looking like a forgotten man, getting in some cases third team reps (same with Pettis, but for me that was more of a given). It will be interesting to see who asserts themselves in the first four games until Bailey returns. Some Rams reporters think Bailey has looked like the best WR on the roster at times, and is primed for a big role once he returns, but it is unclear if that would come at the expense of Britt, Quick, or even Austin.
The thing is, the Rams are needing to replace Bailey for the first four games. So Quick is getting more work than he probably would if not for the Bailey suspension. And Bailey is playing well. His whole goal is to make sure the Rams don't forget about him when he returns week 6. So if Quick stumbles at all, Bailey is going to be the guy.

If Britt stumbles instead of Quick (or gets injured, etc.), Bailey could supplant him as well. Bailey could stumble also, and render it a moot point, though I don't expect that to happen. I've said before, I think he has the best hands and runs the best routes on the team.

Seemingly Austin will have a role on the inside, regardless, if he doesn't completely bomb.

If Britt and Quick both play well, it could be hard to demote one of them (once Bailey returns). STL could have different 3 WR packages, some with Austin, some with Bailey, and some with Austin and Bailey, with Britt and Quick as the primary outside WRs, unless Quick stumbles, as you noted, or Britt, or Bailey decisively outplays one or both.

If Britt stumbles instead of Quick (or gets injured, etc.), Bailey could supplant him as well. Bailey could stumble also, and render it a moot point, though I don't expect that to happen. I've said before, I think he has the best hands and runs the best routes on the team.

Seemingly Austin will have a role on the inside, regardless, if he doesn't completely bomb.

If Britt and Quick both play well, it could be hard to demote one of them (once Bailey returns). STL could have different 3 WR packages, some with Austin, some with Bailey, and some with Austin and Bailey, with Britt and Quick as the primary outside WRs, unless Quick stumbles, as you noted, or Britt, or Bailey decisively outplays one or both.
Obviously he could supplant Britt as well. IT's sort of a good situation to be in for the Rams. Britt's been a stud before but let that 10 cent head get in the way. Quick is a freak of nature that needs to get that talent aligned in the right direction. Both of them to me, have higher ceilings than Bailey, but Bailey has a higher floor IMHO.

I just don't like that passing offense enough to like any of the Rams. Especially with Bradford getting hurt again (who knows how bad). Even with Bradford it will be inconsistent.

A lot of Rams observers think the light has come on for Quick.

He looks like he will be much more involved than in his first two seasons. One concern is if Britt tears it up and Bailey outplays him once he returns, he may not be a lock to start all season.

For dynasty purposes, Britt is only signed on a one year, prove it-type deal. If he does well, given his history of inconsistency and off field issues, that could make for a tricky extension negotiation.

I just don't like that passing offense enough to like any of the Rams. Especially with Bradford getting hurt again (who knows how bad). Even with Bradford it will be inconsistent.
hill is a solid QB2. Good OL. What is your biggest concern?
I don't see him getting consistent targets every week. One week he will go off and then he will throw up 3 stinkers in a row followed by another good game. I think he has a lot of talent, but I just don't trust him to ever be a weekly starter in Stl.

I don't see him getting consistent targets every week. One week he will go off and then he will throw up 3 stinkers in a row followed by another good game. I think he has a lot of talent, but I just don't trust him to ever be a weekly starter in Stl.
well the guys who are safe ^ produce weekly are much more expensive.

well the guys who are safe ^ produce weekly are much more expensive.
Agreed.

I don't know what tier you have him in and he is ok to take a flier pick on, but at this stage he is a WR 5/6 and that is being generous.

I like Quick's ability and long term future the best among Ram's receivers. But, I think this prediction of inconsistent play in 2014 is likely. I like Quick for dynasty as I think he makes a big leap this year. And I like his potential to become a stud--not a certain thing, but he has the combination of size and speed. I wouldn't draft Quick in redraft but I would give Britt a shot late in redrafts. In dynasty, I am very happy to have Quick at the end of my bench and will wait on him one more season.

Quick is one of those guys who could have a major spike. I think he's a prime candidate to "come out of nowhere" like Victor Cruz did and Joe Horn did.

Took him in the last round of my redraft last night. Shaun hill as qb didn't scare me away. Hill can throw. He's a decent qb. If quick was going to break out this year, I don't think the switch to hill will prevent it.

Shot in the dark. Hope it pans out. I'm on board!

Captain Checkdown getting hurt might not be a bad thing. Quick might benefit from a guy that slings it more like Hill.

I've owned DT in my dynasty sense he came into the league, have watch every game he's played, am a Rams fan and am big time pulling for Quick to finally break out. With all that being said in no way (besides size and speed, which countless WR's in the NFL have had) does he remind me of DT.

I've owned DT in my dynasty sense he came into the league, have watch every game he's played, am a Rams fan and am big time pulling for Quick to finally break out. With all that being said in no way (besides size and speed, which countless WR's in the NFL have had) does he remind me of DT.
Actually TO is who many said he reminded them of.

Users who are viewing this thread