What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Alex Smith's calf injury is a "functionality" issue and not soreness. 

Football Team coach Ron Rivera has expressed optimism Smith will be ready to go for Sunday's do-or-die tilt with the Eagles, but Smith's calf apparently hasn't been tested since Friday. How he feels on Wednesday and how his leg responds on Thursday will be the two biggest stumbling blocks of the week. It will be Taylor Heinicke in prime time if Smith can't go. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Dec 29, 2020, 2:53 PM ET

Washington head coach Ron Rivera said he could rotate Alex Smith and Taylor Heinicke against the Bucs on Sunday. 

Smith, returning from a calf injury that kept him sidelined for two weeks, had limited mobility last week against the Eagles. It was clear he hadn't fully recovered from the calf issue. Rivera said the Football Team "definitely" had to consider rotating Smith with Heinicke, who relieved Dwayne Haskins in Week 16 and completed 12-of-19 passes for 137 yards and a touchdown against the Panthers. The potential QB rotation makes Smith unplayable in Wild Card DFS contests. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter 

Jan 5, 2021, 10:14 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Alex Smith (questionable, calf) is "trending the wrong way" for Saturday's Wild Card game against the Bucs.

Smith will be evaluated before Saturday's game. He's on the wrong side of questionable after pushing through his calf injury in Week 17. At this point, it would be surprising if Smith plays, but Washington will likely take his status to game-time. Taylor Heinicke got first-team reps in practice all week and will start if Smith is ruled out. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 9, 2021, 9:49 AM ET

Washington coach Ron Rivera said bringing back Alex Smith as the starter "remains a possibility."

Washington offered its first- and third-round picks for Matthew Stafford before he was traded to the Rams. They've also been linked to Derek Carr, Deshaun Watson, and Sam Darnold, though none are a lock to be dealt. Washington should be among the most aggressive teams on the quarterback market this offseason, but they may have to settle for another year of Smith if a deal doesn't get done. Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, and Ryan Fitzpatrick headline this year's free agent QB class.

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 5, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

Alex Smith has been named the Associated Press' Comeback Player of the Year. 

This one was pre-ordained after 36-year-old Smith's miraculous recovery from a 2018 compound leg fracture that ended up requiring 17 surgeries due to a host of complications. The football was not necessarily scintillating — never an aggressive player, Smith was understandably even more conservative in 2020 — but Smith was the best quarterback on the Football Team's division-winning roster. Smith is undecided on returning in 2021. The Football Team has signaled it will probably go another direction at starter, but Smith's experience and brainpower would be invaluable in a backup. 

Feb 6, 2021, 10:03 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Washington will part ways with Alex Smith. 

Smith, 36, is owed $26.2 million in 2021. Releasing him before June 1 would save Washington $14.7 million against the salary cap. The 2020 Comeback Player of the Year came back from a two-year leg injury to start six games for the Football Team after starting the season as a third stringer. Smith said recently that he knew Ron Rivera's coaching staff "didn’t want me there, didn’t want me to be a part of it, didn’t want me to be on the team, the roster, didn’t want to give me a chance." Apparently he was right. In February, Washington signed Taylor Heinicke -- who impressed in a playoff start against Tampa -- to a two-year deal. Heinicke, 27, will have a shot at the starting job in 2021 even when Washington brings in signal callers via the draft and free agency.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

Love Alex but I hope he goes into coaching and doesn't try to play anymore. Not worth the risk. And they should change the comeback player of the year award to the Alex Smith award.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bears are a potential landing spot for Alex Smith. 

Smith, expected to be released by Washington this week, could reunite with Matt Nagy in Chicago. Nagy, of course, coached Smith in Kansas City, where Nagy served first as quarterbacks coach, then as offensive coordinator from 2016-2017. The Bears would offer one of Smith's only chances to start in 2021. Jacksonville has been mentioned as a potential fit for Smith, who was coached by Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer at Utah. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 2, 2021, 8:20 AM ET

Why shouldn't he be able to play if he wants to? He's a big boy, and can make his bed and lay in it, just like everyone else.

Despite what I may think about his decision, it's his decision to make...and to accept the outcome of that decision, whatever it may be.

This is the USA, right? Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? Just checking.

Tom Brady has made over $260 million in salary over his career and countless millions in endorsements and side businesses. And he isn’t even the bread winner in his family. If you are advising Smith to retire, what about TB12?
Well last time I checked Brady never had 18 surgeries and almost lost his life due to an injury.  ;)

Tom Brady has made over $260 million in salary over his career and countless millions in endorsements and side businesses. And he isn’t even the bread winner in his family. If you are advising Smith to retire, what about TB12?
If I were TB12, I would have retired at least $160M ago. I guess I'll never understand why people risk their health for the sake of "more." 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans could pursue free agent QB Alex Smith if Deshaun Watson isn't with the team.

Smith is familiar with coach David Culley from their time together in Kansas City and remains insistent about being a starter in 2021. He could at the very least enter camp in a competition with Tyrod Taylor if Watson isn't available, whether that be via trade, holdout, or even an extended stint on the commissioner's exempt list. Houston is one of the few/only teams which have been linked to the 36-year-old veteran since he was released from Washington.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 2, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

People don’t want see another bad incident on the field. If he takes bad hit on that leg it will not be a good thing. How many surgeries did he have on that leg? 

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said "medical people" in the Jaguars organization were "very concerned" about Alex Smith's health. 

Meyer acknowledged the team had talked to Smith about coming to Jacksonville, presumably to serve as backup and mentor for soon-to-be No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence. Meyer coached Smith at Utah in the early-2000s before Smith was selected first overall by the Niners, and Jacksonville general manager Trent Baalke was the 49ers GM when the team drafted Smith. "He’s like our family. Both of us feel so strongly about them. But that’s something that we’re just going to keep an eye on because I hope he comes back," Meyer said. After returning from a catastrophic 2018 leg break, Smith struggled mightily down the stretch in 2020, bothered by the calf on his formerly broken leg. He sat out the Football Team's Wild Card loss to Tampa. With no chance to start for a team in 2021, Smith could retire. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Apr 19, 2021, 9:05 AM ET

Alex Smith officially retires today. I hope they permanently name the come back player of the year award after him. I think he'd make a great coach or broadcaster, very smart and well spoken. 
I'm relieved by this news.  That was one horrific injury he had and he has a lot of living to do.  Perhaps he will make a great coach or broadcaster as you stated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Earned just a shade under $190 Million over his NFL career. 

Alex went 2-5 over his Playoff career with the highlight being a 20-17 Overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship vs the San Fran 49ers, that's the furthest he has gone trying to lead a team to the Super Bowl. 

Good luck in whatever avenues he pursues, broadcast or coaching. 

Users who are viewing this thread