Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Big Ten Basketball 2020/2021 - Put it Back Together

On 3/15/2021 at 6:47 PM, The General said:

@Garrett what are the locals saying about potential new coaches?

Of the list I’m seeing I like the Texas Tech guy. 

Nobody knows anything...it's been very quiet.  The initial push was for Stevens for sure, but that was more procedural than a real shared interest.  I think Beilein is the safety net; which sounds ridiculous because he would be a huge upgrade.  It seems like there is someone targeted between those two extremes though.  Oats has a massive buyout and I am not sure there is an appetite for that with donors after paying Miller to leave; I've been surprised before though.  This entire process started well before Indiana's season was actually over.  So it certainly seems like they are waiting on someone still coaching.  I guess we might find out this week if that happened to be Beard.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coincidentally, that was also the halftime score of Virginia-Wisconsin

Just speaking for myself, and to avoid any confusion going forward, please interpret any comments I make or have made in the past, in this thread or anywhere else, as showing the highest possible leve

34 minutes ago, baaloc1968 said:

Michigan is the last team standing. I was expecting at least one other conference team in the Sweet 16.

Pretty embarrassing performance for the conference.

Would Beard go to IU? I know the timing wasn’t good, but before Michigan hired a Juwan a lot of the fanbase wanted Beard. He just signed an extension which made him a top 10 coach salary wise. I suppose if someone has 10 million laying around to help get rid of Miller they can find more money to get Beard if he’s their guy, but I think you have to go hard after Moser before he goes somewhere like Texas or Kansas 

On 3/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, Mookie Gizzy said:

Would Beard go to IU? I know the timing wasn’t good, but before Michigan hired a Juwan a lot of the fanbase wanted Beard. He just signed an extension which made him a top 10 coach salary wise. I suppose if someone has 10 million laying around to help get rid of Miller they can find more money to get Beard if he’s their guy, but I think you have to go hard after Moser before he goes somewhere like Texas or Kansas 

Beard's buyout drops significantly on April 1st.  Absolutely no reason to hear about his next move until next week.  I don't think he will be back at Texas Tech next year, but I'm not sure if Indiana is the destination.

49 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Beard's buyout drops significantly on April 1st.  Absolutely no reason to hear about his next move until next week.  I don't think he will be back at Texas Tech next year, but I'm not sure if Indiana is the destination.

He’s probably going to Texas. Interested to see where Moser goes. Sounds like IU wants an alum. Plus is Turgeon leaving Maryland for another job? maybe he goes there 

30 minutes ago, Mookie Gizzy said:

He’s probably going to Texas. Interested to see where Moser goes. Sounds like IU wants an alum. Plus is Turgeon leaving Maryland for another job? maybe he goes there 

As in 2018, Moser has expressed little/no interest in leaving Chicago.  But the dangling carrots will be rather substantial this time around, I expect.

7 hours ago, Mookie Gizzy said:

Rumors are flying that Turgeon wants out and that Maryland (& a sizeable portion of the alumni/fan base) wouldn't be heartbroken if he left. I could see him throwing his hat in the Texas job-search ring, or even Texas Tech if Beard leaves. 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, The Commish said:

Who gives a ####?  This isn't the SEC or ACC!!!  

Go Blue!!!

:goodposting:

If it was the Buckeyes still standing, I'd say the same thing...

Mike Woodson...I think trying to emulate the success Michigan had with Howard.   He should be solid coach, but I doubt if he has the passion that Howard brings. I wish him the best.   

2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Mike Woodson...I think trying to emulate the success Michigan had with Howard.   He should be solid coach, but I doubt if he has the passion that Howard brings. I wish him the best.   

Whoa. That’s a curveball.

They weren’t joking about wanting an ex-Knight era guy. 

• Laughing 1

No chatter about the Mike Woodson hire? I wasn't sure if he was the way to go, but a lot of folks that know hoops seem to think he'll do well.  I like the Matta hire as an assistant, and I think he needs to get some strong recruiters on board, and a younger assistant or two - maybe his future successor (although it might be too early to be planning for that)

@The General, @Garrett - thoughts?

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

No chatter about the Mike Woodson hire? I wasn't sure if he was the way to go, but a lot of folks that know hoops seem to think he'll do well.  I like the Matta hire as an assistant, and I think he needs to get some strong recruiters on board, and a younger assistant or two - maybe his future successor (although it might be too early to be planning for that)

@The General, @Garrett - thoughts?

Pretty meh from me. They really wanted to go with the old school Knight era guy I guess. I think he can coach, he did well in ATL (NY not so much). 

Will come down to if he can recruit I suppose.

A point I heard brought up about the Matta hire is that hopefully they were both on board with this and are very aligned. Woodson will need to lean on Matta a lot for the day to day college stuff as he’s never done it (will also need to get a good experience assistant staff). I hope the two can work well together. 

• Like 1

I was talking a bit with my brother on Sunday, before the announcement.  He's not convinced IU still has the draw to pull an established, winning  coach (e.g., Beard, Drew) away from a currently winning team - or Brad Stevens to come back from the NBA - to take on a rebuild. If so, then IU had the choice of another "up and coming" guy from a mid-major (a la Archie Miller), or try to go with an IU legacy guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, heckmanm said:

I was talking a bit with my brother on Sunday, before the announcement.  He's not convinced IU still has the draw to pull an established, winning  coach (e.g., Beard, Drew) away from a currently winning team - or Brad Stevens to come back from the NBA - to take on a rebuild. If so, then IU had the choice of another "up and coming" guy from a mid-major (a la Archie Miller), or try to go with an IU legacy guy.

Scott Drew has had an impressive coaching career; obviously peaking in impressive fashion as of late.  He has made a great situation for himself and it would be hard for any team to lure him away from Baylor.  All that being said, Drew was never a consideration at Indiana for historical reasons and the disinterest was mutual.

The Woodson hire has to be taken apart in layers to really unpack it.  This is a BIG10 thread though and it's not worth breaking down a few decades of Indiana's struggle with their own identity to bring out the minuttia.  On the surface it's copying what was unlikely to be but ultimately successful for Michigan; Thad Matta changes that entire dynamic though.  There is not a single team beside Indiana that is excited Matta is coming back into the conference in any capacity.

Woodson has seemingly, instantly, won over the existing roster and their families by bringing TJD, Lander, and Geronimo back in short order.  Xavier Johnson from Pittsburgh was a very highly regarded transfer and just signed up. The local rumor is Keion Brooks is leaving Kentucky for Indiana this week.

Did I mention Tom Izzo's associate head coach is coming back to where he started?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Garrett said:

Scott Drew has had an impressive coaching career; obviously peaking in impressive fashion as of late.  He has made a great situation for himself and it would be hard for any team to lure him away from Baylor.  All that being said, Drew was never a consideration at Indiana for historical reasons and the disinterest was mutual.

The Woodson hire has to be taken apart in layers to really unpack it.  This is a BIG10 thread though and it's not worth breaking down a few decades of Indiana's struggle with their own identity to bring out the minuttia.  On the surface it's copying what was unlikely to be but ultimately successful for Michigan; Thad Matta changes that entire dynamic though.  There is not a single team beside Indiana that is excited Matta is coming back into the conference in any capacity.

Woodson has seemingly, instantly, won over the existing roster and their families by bringing TJD, Lander, and Geronimo back in short order.  Xavier Johnson from Pittsburgh was a very highly regarded transfer and just signed up. The local rumor is Keion Brooks is leaving Kentucky for Indiana this week.

Did I mention Tom Izzo's associate head coach is coming back to where he started?

Well this sounds very nice. 

• Laughing 1
15 hours ago, Garrett said:

Good move for Dane Fife. In three years he'll be the Head Coach at Indy.

41 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Brad Davison is coming back to Wisconsin next season, taking advantage of the extra eligibility year.  Great news for the Badgers, the Big Ten and for college basketball fans everywhere.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ey8xvraWEAUbh-A?format=jpg&name=medium

Eli Brooks is returning to Michigan as well, which will be huge from a leadership standpoint with a ton of highly-touted freshmen coming in.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2021/04/14/michigan-basketball-eli-brooks-returns/7225151002/

• Love 1
On 4/8/2021 at 2:47 PM, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Good move for Dane Fife. In three years he'll be the Head Coach at Indy.

Yep, definitely a short term and long term plan coming together now.