What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (4 Viewers)

@Garrett what are the locals saying about potential new coaches?

Of the list I’m seeing I like the Texas Tech guy. 
Nobody knows anything...it's been very quiet.  The initial push was for Stevens for sure, but that was more procedural than a real shared interest.  I think Beilein is the safety net; which sounds ridiculous because he would be a huge upgrade.  It seems like there is someone targeted between those two extremes though.  Oats has a massive buyout and I am not sure there is an appetite for that with donors after paying Miller to leave; I've been surprised before though.  This entire process started well before Indiana's season was actually over.  So it certainly seems like they are waiting on someone still coaching.  I guess we might find out this week if that happened to be Beard.

Would Beard go to IU? I know the timing wasn’t good, but before Michigan hired a Juwan a lot of the fanbase wanted Beard. He just signed an extension which made him a top 10 coach salary wise. I suppose if someone has 10 million laying around to help get rid of Miller they can find more money to get Beard if he’s their guy, but I think you have to go hard after Moser before he goes somewhere like Texas or Kansas 

Would Beard go to IU? I know the timing wasn’t good, but before Michigan hired a Juwan a lot of the fanbase wanted Beard. He just signed an extension which made him a top 10 coach salary wise. I suppose if someone has 10 million laying around to help get rid of Miller they can find more money to get Beard if he’s their guy, but I think you have to go hard after Moser before he goes somewhere like Texas or Kansas 
Beard's buyout drops significantly on April 1st.  Absolutely no reason to hear about his next move until next week.  I don't think he will be back at Texas Tech next year, but I'm not sure if Indiana is the destination.

Beard's buyout drops significantly on April 1st.  Absolutely no reason to hear about his next move until next week.  I don't think he will be back at Texas Tech next year, but I'm not sure if Indiana is the destination.
He’s probably going to Texas. Interested to see where Moser goes. Sounds like IU wants an alum. Plus is Turgeon leaving Maryland for another job? maybe he goes there 

He’s probably going to Texas. Interested to see where Moser goes. Sounds like IU wants an alum. Plus is Turgeon leaving Maryland for another job? maybe he goes there 
As in 2018, Moser has expressed little/no interest in leaving Chicago.  But the dangling carrots will be rather substantial this time around, I expect.

Rumors are flying that Turgeon wants out and that Maryland (& a sizeable portion of the alumni/fan base) wouldn't be heartbroken if he left. I could see him throwing his hat in the Texas job-search ring, or even Texas Tech if Beard leaves. 

Mike Woodson...I think trying to emulate the success Michigan had with Howard.   He should be solid coach, but I doubt if he has the passion that Howard brings. I wish him the best.   

No chatter about the Mike Woodson hire? I wasn't sure if he was the way to go, but a lot of folks that know hoops seem to think he'll do well.  I like the Matta hire as an assistant, and I think he needs to get some strong recruiters on board, and a younger assistant or two - maybe his future successor (although it might be too early to be planning for that)

@The General, @Garrett - thoughts?

No chatter about the Mike Woodson hire? I wasn't sure if he was the way to go, but a lot of folks that know hoops seem to think he'll do well.  I like the Matta hire as an assistant, and I think he needs to get some strong recruiters on board, and a younger assistant or two - maybe his future successor (although it might be too early to be planning for that)

@The General, @Garrett - thoughts?
Pretty meh from me. They really wanted to go with the old school Knight era guy I guess. I think he can coach, he did well in ATL (NY not so much). 

Will come down to if he can recruit I suppose.

A point I heard brought up about the Matta hire is that hopefully they were both on board with this and are very aligned. Woodson will need to lean on Matta a lot for the day to day college stuff as he’s never done it (will also need to get a good experience assistant staff). I hope the two can work well together. 

I was talking a bit with my brother on Sunday, before the announcement.  He's not convinced IU still has the draw to pull an established, winning  coach (e.g., Beard, Drew) away from a currently winning team - or Brad Stevens to come back from the NBA - to take on a rebuild. If so, then IU had the choice of another "up and coming" guy from a mid-major (a la Archie Miller), or try to go with an IU legacy guy.

I was talking a bit with my brother on Sunday, before the announcement.  He's not convinced IU still has the draw to pull an established, winning  coach (e.g., Beard, Drew) away from a currently winning team - or Brad Stevens to come back from the NBA - to take on a rebuild. If so, then IU had the choice of another "up and coming" guy from a mid-major (a la Archie Miller), or try to go with an IU legacy guy.
Scott Drew has had an impressive coaching career; obviously peaking in impressive fashion as of late.  He has made a great situation for himself and it would be hard for any team to lure him away from Baylor.  All that being said, Drew was never a consideration at Indiana for historical reasons and the disinterest was mutual.

The Woodson hire has to be taken apart in layers to really unpack it.  This is a BIG10 thread though and it's not worth breaking down a few decades of Indiana's struggle with their own identity to bring out the minuttia.  On the surface it's copying what was unlikely to be but ultimately successful for Michigan; Thad Matta changes that entire dynamic though.  There is not a single team beside Indiana that is excited Matta is coming back into the conference in any capacity.

Woodson has seemingly, instantly, won over the existing roster and their families by bringing TJD, Lander, and Geronimo back in short order.  Xavier Johnson from Pittsburgh was a very highly regarded transfer and just signed up. The local rumor is Keion Brooks is leaving Kentucky for Indiana this week.

Did I mention Tom Izzo's associate head coach is coming back to where he started?

Scott Drew has had an impressive coaching career; obviously peaking in impressive fashion as of late.  He has made a great situation for himself and it would be hard for any team to lure him away from Baylor.  All that being said, Drew was never a consideration at Indiana for historical reasons and the disinterest was mutual.

The Woodson hire has to be taken apart in layers to really unpack it.  This is a BIG10 thread though and it's not worth breaking down a few decades of Indiana's struggle with their own identity to bring out the minuttia.  On the surface it's copying what was unlikely to be but ultimately successful for Michigan; Thad Matta changes that entire dynamic though.  There is not a single team beside Indiana that is excited Matta is coming back into the conference in any capacity.

Woodson has seemingly, instantly, won over the existing roster and their families by bringing TJD, Lander, and Geronimo back in short order.  Xavier Johnson from Pittsburgh was a very highly regarded transfer and just signed up. The local rumor is Keion Brooks is leaving Kentucky for Indiana this week.

Did I mention Tom Izzo's associate head coach is coming back to where he started?
Well this sounds very nice. 

Good move for Dane Fife. In three years he'll be the Head Coach at Indy.

Brad Davison is coming back to Wisconsin next season, taking advantage of the extra eligibility year.  Great news for the Badgers, the Big Ten and for college basketball fans everywhere.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ey8xvraWEAUbh-A?format=jpg&name=medium
Eli Brooks is returning to Michigan as well, which will be huge from a leadership standpoint with a ton of highly-touted freshmen coming in.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2021/04/14/michigan-basketball-eli-brooks-returns/7225151002/

Should be another fun & competitive season. 

I was really hoping Daryl Morsell would play out his super-senior season at Maryland, but he moved on to Marquette. In any case, if the Terps' two transfers are as advertised they should be in the hunt for a nice conference finish. 

The conference dropped the first four Gavitt games vs. Big East schools.

Morsell had a nice game for Marquette vs the Illini.

I watched the Michigan vs. Seton Hall debacle.  Michigan has some serious improvements to make at both ends of the court if they want to win the Big 10 title again.  Right now I think Purdue should be favored to win the conference.  They just have so many scoring options all over the floor.

I watched the Michigan vs. Seton Hall debacle.  Michigan has some serious improvements to make at both ends of the court if they want to win the Big 10 title again.  Right now I think Purdue should be favored to win the conference.  They just have so many scoring options all over the floor.
They only have two guys showing up right now - Hunter and Eli Brooks. They need improvement from Jones and Houstan if they want to win big. 

Now the good thing is it’s early and those two are new to the program. So hopefully they will improve. 

PlayaHata said:
Couldn't hit the three.  When you have a good rim defending team like SH, that inability to convert will kill you.  Still lost by 2.  Scoring like 5 points or whatever it was in the last 8ish minutes didn't help.  Reality is, this is their floor (barring injury of course).  They'll improve over the course of the year.  Need more consistency from range and another guy to step up to help Brooks/Dickinson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't hit the three.  When you have a good rim defending team like SH, that inability to convert will kill you.  Still lost by 2.  Scoring like 5 points or whatever it was in the last 8ish minutes didn't help.  Reality is, this is their floor (barring injury of course).  They'll improve over the course of the year.  Need more consistency from range and another guy to step up to help Brooks/Dickinson.
Diabate looked pretty damn good against UNLV.

They're going to need some time for their freshmen to figure things out, but should be really good by mid-season.

I put this on the NCAA Hoops thread but I’m putting it here too…

I have never been as excited about a Purdue team in my life as I am about this one…and I became a Boilermaker fan in elementary school watching Rick Mount.

As good as Jaden Ivey was last year as a freshman he looks even more amazing on the court so far this season. Zach Edey is by far the best Boiler giant in the long list of Painter’s big men. Freshman Caleb Furst is playing like an upperclassman. Trevion Williams a Third-Team All-American is coming off the bench! A lot of depth….I think players 6 thru 10 would be an above .500 team in the B10. 

I didn’t even mention Stefanovic in that post. He had a great game yesterday against NC. Hope the Boilers can do it again to vs Nova. 

I put this on the NCAA Hoops thread but I’m putting it here too…

I have never been as excited about a Purdue team in my life as I am about this one…and I became a Boilermaker fan in elementary school watching Rick Mount.

As good as Jaden Ivey was last year as a freshman he looks even more amazing on the court so far this season. Zach Edey is by far the best Boiler giant in the long list of Painter’s big men. Freshman Caleb Furst is playing like an upperclassman. Trevion Williams a Third-Team All-American is coming off the bench! A lot of depth….I think players 6 thru 10 would be an above .500 team in the B10. 

I didn’t even mention Stefanovic in that post. He had a great game yesterday against NC. Hope the Boilers can do it again to vs Nova. 
Good stuff.  I’m still struggling with Williams coming off the bench. The dude scored 20 points in only 13 minutes last night.  Will be fun to see how Painter manages this team and the substitutions all year long.

Oh and they get Gillis back today. That’s 10 deep. I’d rather see a lot more of him that Morton.

Should be another fun & competitive season. 

I was really hoping Daryl Morsell would play out his super-senior season at Maryland, but he moved on to Marquette. In any case, if the Terps' two transfers are as advertised they should be in the hunt for a nice conference finish. 
Welp, so much for the optimism on Maryland this year.  They look terrible.  At this point, I'm rooting for last place in the B1G just so the administration is forced to dump Turgeon.

Arizona took Michigan to the woodshed in the tourney championship game last night in Vegas.  The Wolverines have a lot of talent, but they were just outworked, out coached, and outclassed by the Cats.  Maybe it was just Arizona's suffocating defense, but does Michigan have enough outside shooting to justify that #4 ranking?

I can't see this Wisconsin team making much noise this season, but they had a nice game today.  Playing #12 Houston - started the game 13-0, up 40-20 at HT, finished with a 2 point win in a nail biter. They are very young and it showed in the second half, but I think the future looks bright.  They play tomorrow in the tournament final against the winner of Oregon - St. Mary's.

Users who are viewing this thread