Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Big Ten Basketball 2020/2021 - Put it Back Together

Garrett

Losing Wiley is unfortunate, but in theory, there is as much backcourt depth this year as last.

Last year, the backcourt was Trimble, Wiley, Nickens, Pack, and Wells, or 5 players covering PG, SG, and SF.

This year, the backcourt is Timble, Nickens, Sulaimon, Brantley, and Layman, still 5 players covering those three spots.

Losing Wiley is unfortunate, but in theory, there is as much backcourt depth this year as last.

Last year, the backcourt was Trimble, Wiley, Nickens, Pack, and Wells, or 5 players covering PG, SG, and SF.

This year, the backcourt is Timble, Nickens, Sulaimon, Brantley, and Layman, still 5 players covering those three spots.

Oh, I hear ya. It's not the end of the world, but I thought - with Wiley - it gave Turgeon more flexibility to go small with Layman at the 4 and not having to play Melo all game. Brantley needs to be at least useful, given Wiley's loss.

Big Cek had a nice game, too. He's kind of been overlooked in the previews because of Stone, Carter, & Dodd. Stone's gonna take a while to learn to play D against god bigs, Carter is already nails (he's a better Bombalay or a less good Baxter) - I'm not concerned about him at all. Dodd couldn't score on ME, but can play good D. Cek can do most everything in spurts.

Still, I looked for really good things from Wiley this season. Nickens is - to date - basically a one-trick pony. Wiley had some slasher in him, in addition to shooting threes.

Anyway, this is the deepest Maryland team I can remember since the mid-70s. If Stone (& to an extent, Cek) is the real deal offensively, they are going to be REALLY tough to defend.

• Like 1

Oh, I hear ya. It's not the end of the world, but I thought - with Wiley - it gave Turgeon more flexibility to go small with Layman at the 4 and not having to play Melo all game. Brantley needs to be at least useful, given Wiley's loss.

Big Cek had a nice game, too. He's kind of been overlooked in the previews because of Stone, Carter, & Dodd. Stone's gonna take a while to learn to play D against god bigs, Carter is already nails (he's a better Bombalay or a less good Baxter) - I'm not concerned about him at all. Dodd couldn't score on ME, but can play good D. Cek can do most everything in spurts.

Still, I looked for really good things from Wiley this season. Nickens is - to date - basically a one-trick pony. Wiley had some slasher in him, in addition to shooting threes.

Anyway, this is the deepest Maryland team I can remember since the mid-70s. If Stone (& to an extent, Cek) is the real deal offensively, they are going to be REALLY tough to defend.

I agree with all of this. It was interesting that Turgeon said Wiley was slated to be the starter at SG. Brantley needs to provide 10 minutes of serviceable PG play a game. If he can do that, Trimble will only need to play about 28 minutes, which should keep him fresher.

Definitely liked what I saw from Carter last night. Looking forward to Tuesday.

• Like 1

Yikes Badgers :bag:

Yeah.

I figured it would be a down year, especially coming off the championship appearance but damn. 3 freshmen getting regular minutes, with 2 more possibly contributing if they don't redshirt, is interesting. Bo usually doesn't want freshman anywhere near the floor.

Frosty might be able to keep his blog going into December by celebrating Bucky losses

Yikes Badgers :bag:

Yeah.

I figured it would be a down year, especially coming off the championship appearance but damn. 3 freshmen getting regular minutes, with 2 more possibly contributing if they don't redshirt, is interesting. Bo usually doesn't want freshman anywhere near the floor.

Frosty might be able to keep his blog going into December by celebrating Bucky losses

Iverson is going to be a player. I like Thomas a lot too even though his shot wasn't falling. This team will be solid by the time Feb rolls around though definitely some early growing pains too. Hopefully Pritzl can make his debut soon too as I think they are going to need his outside shooting this year. I don't trust Showy to keep hitting 3s.

I'm really looking forward to Maryland at Indiana to finish up both team's BigTen schedules. Melo vs Yogi is just plain fun to watch. This will certainly be their final matchup, but likely the biggest stage for it as well. I just don't see how either team is going to stop the other from scoring.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to Maryland at Indiana to finish up both team's BigTen schedules. Melo vs Yogi is just plain fun to watch. This will certainly be their final matchup, but likely the biggest stage for it as well. I just don't see how either team is going to stop the other from scoring.

Who says they will? ;)

If Maryland's 3 point defense isn't any better than last year's, Yogi may get 40 on them

You can't even compare the length and athleticism between last year's team and this one. At least 3 newcomers for this year would have started last year, and last year's team was pretty good.

Edited by James Daulton

Boilers are going to win the BT. Calling it now.

Some people are overlooking the Boilers. They return almost their entire team from last year and added a McDonald's All-American to a team that finished third in the Big Ten (12-6 in the Big Ten).

I don't know if they will win the Big Ten, but I think they will make a good push for a title.

Looks like it will be a down year for the Buckeyes. They should still place 7th-9th in the conference, hopefully with a NIT bid. One senior (a nobody) and one junior (Loving) on the roster. That's pretty crazy. If you're looking for a kid to keep an eye on...JaQuan Lyle. If they can snag Kobi Simmons for next year from friggen Calipari, that will be huge.

Looks like it will be a down year for the Buckeyes. They should still place 7th-9th in the conference, hopefully with a NIT bid. One senior (a nobody) and one junior (Loving) on the roster. That's pretty crazy. If you're looking for a kid to keep an eye on...JaQuan Lyle. If they can snag Kobi Simmons for next year from friggen Calipari, that will be huge.

My expectations were low because of the overwhelming lack of experience on the team.... so I was impressed with how in synch the team was during yesterdays game. Didn't look like a group learning how to play with each other at all. They have a lot to learn, but I liked what I saw.

If Maryland's 3 point defense isn't any better than last year's, Yogi may get 40 on them

You can't even compare the length and athleticism between last year's team and this one. At least 3 newcomers for this year would have started last year, and last year's team was pretty good.

I can compare if I think it's coaching and scheme. Plus, Layman is still one of those "length and athleticism" guys and he couldn't cover Helen Keller last year around the arc.

That said, I hear ya and hope they've figured out a way to be better this season. Good shooters crushed them last year.

I know they are not favored, but I think Izzo has a decent shot against Self tonight. If MSU is hitting shots outside they can win this game.

If it becomes a FT contest, State is ####ed. Still cant shoot FTs this season, even though Izzo has made it a point to step up FT in practices. We'll see.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

Big win for the Terps last night. They didn't look great, and got outrebounded pretty badly, but they made some big shots down the stretch.

Ceko looked great, as did Sulaimon. Diamond Stone looked decidedly mediocre on both ends of the floor. Brantley didn't play much, if at all, which could be a bad sign for the backcourt depth.

Nice win Spartans, although I still hate you for 2010.

Big win for the Terps last night. They didn't look great, and got outrebounded pretty badly, but they made some big shots down the stretch.

Ceko looked great, as did Sulaimon. Diamond Stone looked decidedly mediocre on both ends of the floor. Brantley didn't play much, if at all, which could be a bad sign for the backcourt depth.

Nice win Spartans, although I still hate you for 2010.

We have season tix at work. I couldn't go, but a coworker did and said that place was rocking as it hasn't since the last time they played Duke in a competitive game.

They had Joe Smith there. His '93 game against GU was his coming out party, as Othella Harrington was supposed to be the #### and Smith went wild.

Vasquez showed up after his game against the Wizards. They put the scoreboard cam on him late in the game, crowd starts going crazy, Vasquez looks around, sees himself finally on the board, and starts mugging (shocking, I know).

Sulaimon & Carter are gonna be the anchors, it appears. Brantley played one ####### minute, then was yanked. Is he in Turgeon's dog house?

i hope indiana stinks and they can crean half way through and then all of milwaukee can laugh take that to the bank brohans

:hifive: from an Illini bromigo.

-QG

Still salty about Eric Gordon? It's been awhile....

Indiana has always been a rival. I go back to the days when LouDo pwned Bobby Knight year after year ;)

-QG

• Like 1

Who are the legit contenders for:

1. B1G title?

2. NCAA bid?

3. Final Four?

I'm still new to feeling out this league. When Maryland was in the ACC, I could usually pick dark horses out of that conference - except for NC State; those guys would flip the table on me every time.

Maryland is good. Purdue is good. Indiana is good. Michigan St. is always good. I think we'll learn some more about Wisconsin on Friday. I'm not sure just how good Michigan will be. Is Levert all the way back and healthy? All of these will probably make the tourney. I suspect Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, and Michigan St. are the contenders for the regular season title. Any of them, or maybe Wisconsin or Michigan, could advance to the Sweet Sixteen or even beyond, if things break right.

Then I think you've got the middle of the league in Iowa, Northwestern (might surprise?), Ohio St. One or two of these might make the tourney.

Then the group of Illinois, Minnesota, and Nebraska, before you get to Penn St. and Rutgers.

Maryland is good. Purdue is good. Indiana is good. Michigan St. is always good. I think we'll learn some more about Wisconsin on Friday. I'm not sure just how good Michigan will be. Is Levert all the way back and healthy? All of these will probably make the tourney. I suspect Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, and Michigan St. are the contenders for the regular season title. Any of them, or maybe Wisconsin or Michigan, could advance to the Sweet Sixteen or even beyond, if things break right.

Then I think you've got the middle of the league in Iowa, Northwestern (might surprise?), Ohio St. One or two of these might make the tourney.

Then the group of Illinois, Minnesota, and Nebraska, before you get to Penn St. and Rutgers.

Meh, game 4 won't tell you much about Wisconsin this year. They are what they are right now, which is a mediocre team with 2 established players. They have a lot of talented youth but there will be a lot growing pains over the course of the season. They could be much better come January or February but the jury is still out on that. A solid win or a bad loss on Friday won't mean much for them in the grand scheme of things.

Hoosiers lighting up Creighton. They are going to be fun to watch. Can't guard anyone, Crean can't out coach a middle school JV coach, but he can recruit shooters and can get his team to play uptempo.

Creighton was shooting almost 40% from 3 coming in and hit 3-18 last night. I don't think all of that can be attributed to just an off-night shooting.

Hoosiers lighting up Creighton. They are going to be fun to watch. Can't guard anyone, Crean can't out coach a middle school JV coach, but he can recruit shooters and can get his team to play uptempo.

Creighton was shooting almost 40% from 3 coming in and hit 3-18 last night. I don't think all of that can be attributed to just an off-night shooting.
A team can absolutely have an off night of shooting, the game before Austin Peay shot 50% from 3. Crean's IU teams have been awful on defense but I hope this team is better. If they can get some D the team can score with anyone.

A team can absolutely have an off night of shooting, the game before Austin Peay shot 50% from 3. Crean's IU teams have been awful on defense but I hope this team is better. If they can get some D the team can score with anyone.

If the guards keep getting more comfortable feeding Bryant in the post, they'll be really hard to deal with. Kid's a blast to watch.

Meh, game 4 won't tell you much about Wisconsin this year. They are what they are right now, which is a mediocre team with 2 established players. They have a lot of talented youth but there will be a lot growing pains over the course of the season. They could be much better come January or February but the jury is still out on that. A solid win or a bad loss on Friday won't mean much for them in the grand scheme of things.

I definitely think Wisconsin will be better in February than they are today. That's fairly typical of a young team with a good coach. I still think we might be able to see how talented some of the young players actually are tonight. But sure, it's not the end-all be-all.

Everybody's playing for 2nd place.

DON'T DO THAT!

There's no jinxing this team. And they'll just get better as the season goes on and Diamond figures things out. Enjoy the ride.

Oh, God......

It's on you, man - it's on YOU

I'm headed out now to see them tonight. My prediction for the season, 29 - 4 with a BIG10 championship and a final four berth.

Everybody's playing for 2nd place.

DON'T DO THAT!

There's no jinxing this team. And they'll just get better as the season goes on and Diamond figures things out. Enjoy the ride.

Oh, God......

It's on you, man - it's on YOU

I'm headed out now to see them tonight. My prediction for the season, 29 - 4 with a BIG10 championship and a final four berth.

That's pretty bold.